Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? (42766 Views)

List Of Super Eagles Squad for Egypt Game / Emenike Rejects Invitation Back To The Super Eagles Squad / Who Should Replace Who In This Current Super Eagles Squad To Become Stronger? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Fadajasi(m): 7:58am On Dec 11, 2007
What are u guys expecting?, Berti Vogts said there won't be surprises.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by davidif: 9:42am On Dec 11, 2007
I don't know how far we are going to go, but for sure we are not winning the competition. Did anybody research this guys resume? Did anybody know that this guy was a big time flop for scotland? Anyway this is what you get when you put a Mallam who knows more about cattle rearing than football in charge of the NFA. This is just a microcosm of what goes on not only in the country but in the continent. Ciao.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by davidif: 9:58am On Dec 11, 2007
I am sure they only got him because he was white. Why didn't they go after guys who were unemployed and affordable like Ruud Gullit or even someone with a Latin flavor which resembles our style of play like Jose Pekerman, Hector Raul Cuper, Javier Aguirre.

There were even other Europeans who could do a much better job like Louis van Gaal (AZ Alkmaar), Pasquale Marino (Udinese), Ronald Koeman (Valencia), Jose Antonio Camacho, Javier Irueta, heck even Juande Ramos and Bernd Schuster before they both got expensive, or the great Vincente del Bosque (formerly with Real Madrid).

But as you know it, incompetence begat incompetence, we went and got an old school German coach whose jam body style of soccer doesn't fit us at all (that was the sound of our last chance at gaining Nike sponsorship flying out the window). Nike has been promoting the beautiful game for a while because everybody plays negative soccer nowadays, instead of us standing out like Argentina, to be the most attractive team to watch, we decided to be brainless. See how we just lost a good shot at a viable sponsorship deal. Hey but look on the bright side; its not the end of the world ha ha ha.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by kokorunna(m): 10:55am On Dec 11, 2007
The super eagles have got a better chance of winning the tournament but it will depend on the players.

There is too much egos flying around and individuals not pulling their weight undecided
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by klassyguy(m): 11:24am On Dec 11, 2007
If things go as they are presently, i don't think the "super" eagles will improve better than the 3rd position they've been getting for the past few nation's cup competitions. Apart from the coaching crew, the players' too come in. So without the right style of play and coaching, we'll get diddly squat.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 11:35am On Dec 11, 2007
What does the coach mean by there will be no suprises
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by medaura(m): 12:04pm On Dec 11, 2007
@davidif
abeg no de yarn dust.no be malam de when NIAJA won under 17 world cup.some pepl self,you no fit talk without being tribalistic.
NA WA 4 YOU OOh.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 12:17pm On Dec 11, 2007
davidif:

(that was the sound of our last chance at gaining Nike sponsorship flying out the window). Nike has been promoting the beautiful game for a while because everybody plays negative soccer nowadays, See how we just lost a good shot at a viable sponsorship deal. ha ha ha.
What does Jersey brand have to do with game play of a team, remember Nigeria was formerly using Nike and it didn't work. If you say so then it's PUMA that we should go for b'cos Italy won the last World Cup and Egypt won the last nations Cup, so i don't geet the point
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by moyo9870: 12:50pm On Dec 11, 2007
i personally beleive that the super eagles stand a chance to break the jinx of bronze medals in ghana next year
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by davidif: 1:12pm On Dec 11, 2007
Remember the "jogo bonito" commercials sponsorships that hyped brazil as the champions before the world cup and how NIKE promoted their brand through the team. NIKE paid the Brazillian FA a ton of money for that. In fact there was a bidding war with adidas and reebok over who would buy the rights to the team. That right there is called good marketing. The essence of advertising is selling something or creating a demand for something. Fans want to see entertaining "sexy" football and not the "gra gra" football of nowadays. They are reminiscent of the old school brazillians and want to see that therefore you sell it to them. Why do you think there was a huge anticipation for Brazil at the world cup even before they played there very first match, and when they played there were huge ratings, millions of folks round the world turned to see them.

In response to medeura, in the U17's its easy to win championships because at that stage its all about talent. But as you get to older stages like the seniors its 50-50, in fact 40-60, soccer talent and football administration go hand in hand, that's why Nigeria would never win the senior world cup or have a winning streak in the juniors (it took us over 18 years to win another world cup when the talent is abundant). There is just too much that admins have to be able to handle. Look at even USA of all people were soccer is not even among the top 5 popular sport in the country. There good administration is the reason they even got to the quarterfinals in '02 (even though they flopped in '06), plus there league is even getting better, and naija that has players heads and shoulders above them keeps getting a whooping in the hand of the scandanavians of all people.

If Nigeria had decent football administration as far as i am concerned we should win the U17's and U20's every time or at least get to the finals.
P.S John Fashanu please save naija football and run for NFA president again.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by tenhap(m): 1:32pm On Dec 11, 2007
Mark my words, we stand a good chance of getting to the finals at least.
Nonetheless, a lot will depend on our boys and their attitude.
The coach can really bring out the best in them if he is ready to send errant players packing at the drop of a hat.
Selection should be based on merit (really difficult cause NFA is very meddlesome).
The so-called 'foreign-based' players would have a choice of putting in their best or be shown the door!
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Fadajasi(m): 1:32pm On Dec 11, 2007
He meant we wont be supprised by the squad
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by showbobo(m): 1:57pm On Dec 11, 2007
i hope they wont disappoint us this time around.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by teemoe(m): 2:09pm On Dec 11, 2007
Saw the Super eagles call up squad today in one of the papers,we have a really good squad, but dont we alwayz?
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by choco4life(m): 2:34pm On Dec 11, 2007
I believe they would do great this time aro
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 11, 2007
we will not leave the group and berti will not be fired take it or leave it
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 4:49pm On Dec 11, 2007
yomola:

we will not leave the group and berti will not be fired take it or leave it
You must be what you are and that is exactly what you are, you know it
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by ndubest(m): 4:55pm On Dec 11, 2007
, commitment on the part of the team is what will make go further than they hv done in prevoius edition

i wish them well but success or failure lies in their hands
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 5:01pm On Dec 11, 2007
Honestly, sometimes luck have to be on your side. May be we should pray for Luck this time around
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by ndumart: 5:07pm On Dec 11, 2007
folahann:

Honestly, sometimes luck have to be on your side. May be we should pray for Luck this time around

I agree with u, lets hope we are lucky this time around, we have the squad that can do it.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by G2g(m): 5:12pm On Dec 11, 2007
Methinks the cup is certainly coming home to naija!
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 5:22pm On Dec 11, 2007
AMEN! may be the U-17 team have brought goodluck to all Nigerian teams
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Danmasani(m): 6:18pm On Dec 11, 2007
Berti Vogts has just released his final line-up. Anichebe is not in it. I hope he does not get frustrated and play for England oo!

BBC SPORT
Anichebe to miss Nigeria Cup bid
Everton striker Victor Anichebe has been left out of Nigeria's squad for the African Nations Cup.

Anichebe has yet to play for his country of birth despite being called up several times.

He has also been sought after by the England under-21 team but has insisted his loyalty is with the Super Eagles.

Coach Berti Vogts said on Tuesday that he was taking his best players to training camp in Spain on 4 January.

"My target is to win the cup and we can do that with a bit of luck," said the German coach.

The squad was predictable but includes three players from the Nigeria team that won the under-17 World Cup in Korea in September.

Vogts said these players would only be there for the experience.

Squad:

Goalkeepers:
Austin Ejide (Bastia/FRA), Dele Aiyenugba (Bnei Yehuda/ISR), Vincent Enyeama (Hapoel Tel Aviv/ISR)

Defenders:
Rabiu Afolabi (Sochaux/FRA), Danny Shittu (Watford/ENG), Onyekachi Apam (OGC Nice/FRA), Obinna Nwaneri (FC Sion/SWI), Joseph Yobo (Everton/ENG), Ifeanyi Emeghara (Steaua Bucharest/ROM), Kingsley Udoh (Akwa United), Efe Ambrose (Kaduna United), Taye Taiwo (Marseille/FRA)

Midfielders:
Seyi Olofinjana (Wolves/ENG), Dickson Etuhu (Sunderland/ENG), Richard Eromoigbe (Levski Sofia/BUL), John Mikel Obi (Chelsea/ENG), Sani Kaita (Sparta Rotterdam/NED), Onyekachi Okonkwo (FC Zurich/SWI), Yusuf Ayila (Dynamo Kyiv/UKR), Lukman Haruna (Crystal Academy), Rabiu Ibrahim (Sporting Lisbon/POR), Oladapo Olufemi (Boavista/POR)

Strikers:
Nwankwo Kanu, John Utaka (Portsmouth/ENG), Osaze Odemwingie (Lokomotiv Moscow/RUS), Mannaseh Ishiaku (MSV Duisburg/GER), Ikechukwu Uche (CF Getafe/SPA), Yakubu Aiyegbeni (Everton/ENG), Ayodele Makinwa (SS Lazio/ITA), Obinna Nsofor (Chievo Verona/ITA), Obafemi Martins (Newcastle/ENG)

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/africa/7138557.stm
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Iman3(m): 6:23pm On Dec 11, 2007
When you think of it,Nigeria has a crap squad grin
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by tommyex(m): 6:36pm On Dec 11, 2007
I think thats our best squad

watch out 4 our team,if we play with unity n premiership-hussle n determination we will win the Cup.

Watch out for UCHE n Nsofor
I hope they play Nsofor frm the left wing cos we dnt hav any1 der.

I will say again if we play with MANU's formation we ll win the cup
4-2-2-2 (2DH n 2wingers)

what do yall fell?because we dont have a no10 oo
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Neyoyo(m): 8:43pm On Dec 11, 2007
I pray God help us to stop winning Bronzes and start winning Gold.But it's only God and I repeat only God that can help us do it because we're not well prepared, we're not so hot,Coted'voire and Ghana are hotter.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by toba1909(m): 8:46pm On Dec 11, 2007
The squad is indeed a group of craps,they'll crash in the quarter final of the competition. If at all they reach this stage.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Neyoyo(m): 8:49pm On Dec 11, 2007
And another thing is that ,it's when you expect much from them that they disappoint ,maybe if we expect less from them ,they will win the cup.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by toba1909(m): 8:56pm On Dec 11, 2007
Win the cup? Which squad are you talking of? I bet it Nigeria will come home with Bronze if you're talking of expecting something better from them.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 8:59pm On Dec 11, 2007
We could not have a better squad i think
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by toba1909(m): 9:06pm On Dec 11, 2007
Politics has been mixed with the whole stuff,i think the best squad ever is tha ATLANTA 96 squad.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by bgees(m): 11:59pm On Dec 11, 2007
@davidf,
how many of the guys(coaches) u mentiond would welcome an approach from an african country.sincerely,all those names are aware of d administrative and infrastructural problems peculiar with african football.i'm a big fan of louis van gaal but i thnk he was approachd too.he said he would only accept offers from spain,england and holland.
Berti Vogts,for me took d job to redeem his image.and i have only one thing against him and that is:germany and d nature of their football.
I just hope he can make the best decision for us .so lets just keep our fingers crossd.

Under normal circumstances,makinwa should'nt make d final list.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Arsene Wenger Dribbles Real Zinedine Zidane In Charity Match (Photos) / Tyson Fury Reached Out To Anthonyjoshua After His Loss To Andy Ruiz Jnr / Is Cristiano Ronaldo Really Better That Messi?? Have Your Say

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.