Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,696 members, 7,805,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office (18311 Views)

An Awkward Moment At The Office Today / Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife / Displaying Family Pictures In The Office: Is It Proper? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by PHIPEX(m): 5:06pm On Jul 25, 2012
The question we should be asking is whether the man is breaking any known law in his office, it'll not be right to conclude that his approach is wrong if his company has no law against it. Other corporate entities may not accept it but you can't use the Corporate Law in Firm A to judge an employee of Firm B. If the bank where he works prohibits anything of that nature then it'll be better for him to stop and protect his job but if no such law exists (and the OP should know better) then I wish the man and his wife the best of luck.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Abujafood: 5:14pm On Jul 25, 2012
Op

It makes sense for him to do that!
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by badmus77(m): 5:23pm On Jul 25, 2012
I don't see any bad thing in it..he is just expanding the coast of the wife's business...is not about love..his pay or SUV..the workers are demanding for it..so supply it in large quantity..if I was close to the guy, I will tell him to send some to other branches to try out..if any of his friends no dey happy..TO GOD BE THE GLORY..leave them..is better to be with 1-2 people with good motivates and leave to rest to come back to you in future for loans
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by saintade01(m): 5:26pm On Jul 25, 2012
NAWA O. THIS THREAD IS EVEN SELLING MORE THAN THE CHIN-CHIN SEF. grin

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by DExplorer1: 5:29pm On Jul 25, 2012
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by r231(m): 5:30pm On Jul 25, 2012
saintade01: NAWA O. THIS THREAD IS EVEN SELLING MORE THE CHIN-CHIN SEF.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 25, 2012
Nothing wrong there.
Many guys won't do it cos they'll say its not cool, good for their image or they'll care too much what people will say. But those are boys, not men.
Your colleague is a man and he knows there's no shame in meeting a demand and giving people good value for their money.
Whether na chin chin or whether na petroleum products, if there's a profit....its good business.

www.lagosgirlromanceseries..com
www.beautifulunbroken..com
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by hakwise(m): 6:15pm On Jul 25, 2012
I love naira land .....I neva knew this thread could be this controversial yet interesting...aving carefully read all comments ....my point is that its a two edge sword ..in corporate setting selling chin chin is wrong my peoplee hw will U̶̲̥̅̊ feel as a CEO of ur coy U̶̲̥̅̊ catch ur employee sell booli grin in †ђξ office...though some would argue its a suppply based onn order...yet I feel its wrong ....I believe their are still better ways of doiing it.... employ a jobless person to do †ђξ supply coming officially to †ђξ company should do I think...most of all his colleague dat request for †ђξ chin chin are still gonna be †ђξ one that might stand against †ђξ man...when †ђξ overall management hears about it ...so my take is ..support ur wife devise better ways and good luck..!!
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by 46arcadez(m): 6:15pm On Jul 25, 2012
Virtuous man in d making, l luv dat
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by touchmeder: 6:54pm On Jul 25, 2012
Brand_new: @Braveheart. A German friend once told me you could lose out on a business proposal for[b] just yawning during discussions[/b].
I`m sure no one would like to lose out that way.
TIA. This is Africa.

The part in bold is very true.This is an aside but I'd share it here. I was pulled out after a meeting at work for yawning and trying to infect members of my team with my ''bored attitude''. i told the team leader i cant help when i yawn. it is an involuntary action but she didn't seem to get my point.She taught i had an attitude problem and felt her presentation was dry or uncalled for(which was untrue i enjoyed her presentation).

Back to topic, i dont see anything wrong with this guy helping his wife out. He is a supportive spouse and i'd be proud if my husband did that for me. they can even go further by making this a money making machine.Catering for small chops during ceremonies and gradually introducing more delicacies.
I agree i don't see this working in a westernized world. You'd be pulled aside and cautioned in a heart beat but for majority of Naija offices that's another story.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by WSSmith: 8:32pm On Jul 25, 2012
If Mr.A, bring chin chin today, tomorrow madam B carry groundnut come, a day after dem begin display bend down select, wetin office go turn into? "Shop-Right" abi? Abeg make una talk sense. Bro, market your chin chin to your colleagues, supply it to their homes or trade outside the office but it is highly unprofessional to sell stuff in the office. One day someone will refer to your case as a ground to sell something else in the office and words have a way of developing into problems in an office environment. One day you may just find it in your appraisal.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by ronkebp(f): 9:58pm On Jul 25, 2012
braveheart2012: I am a bit surprised at the responses on this thread. It's obvious that most of the replies are coming from people with limited corporate experience. The man's action is unprofessional and this type of activity is expressly forbidden in most mid-size to large corporations in the West. In fact, the only other type of "employment" or "business" most employers will tolerate is non-profit work or volunteer work. Selling merchandise in the office is grounds for immediate dismissal. He is technically representing another business interest (his sole focus during working hours should be on the business he is getting paid full-time wages for.) In addition, he is using corporate property (i.e. the office premises) for unapproved personal gain.

Besides, it's just reflects poor judgement. It's a different thing if his wife came in to the office everyday to sell her chin-chin. But the man is selling it himself? Is this the same man I am supposed to promote to a leadership position and trust to safeguard my company's resources? What will he do when he becomes office manager? Convert the office into a supermarket? How are his subordinates supposed to look-up to a man that will jeopardize his career for less than 20k naira in profits per month? This is the type of man that will sell/rent-out office property and collect bribes to make extra-money on the side. If I were his boss, I would fire him immediately.

PS - My viewpoint is very westernized (although I was born and raised in Nigeria, I have no work experience in Nigeria). Given how upside-down and backwards most of Nigeria is, it wouldn't surprise me if this type of behavior is endemic at Nigerian corporations.

I am actually with Braveheart on this, i love the fact that the man is helping his wife to sell chin-chin...but sorry not in my organization, if i am paying you to do a job, you had better be doing that job or else you will find yourself outside, what if his boss caught him selling chin-chin to his colleagues?...and i am sure since people are beginning to raise their brows, he should be weary of amebos'.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Tolaaaaannni(f): 10:27pm On Jul 25, 2012
What is wrong with him Helping his wife's chin chin?? I don't see anything wrong with it.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by tpia5: 10:48pm On Jul 25, 2012
I am a bit surprised at the responses on this thread. It's obvious that most of the replies are coming from people with limited corporate experience. The man's action is unprofessional and this type of activity is expressly forbidden in most mid-size to large corporations in the West. In fact, the only other type of "employment" or "business" most employers will tolerate is non-profit work or volunteer work. Selling merchandise in the office is grounds for immediate dismissal.

i think a bit of selling is allowed during lunch hours- it depends on company policy and the product must not be a competitive one.

In addition, small stuff wouldnt be sweated unless the manager is somewhat a.nal.

I've bought small items at work before, years ago.

but in nigeria where everyone is trying to hustle, i dont think it should be a big deal inasmuch as the guy isnt in a top managerial postition.

Even if he is sef. Assuming he's selling cars, would it be an issue.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Ndipe(m): 10:50pm On Jul 25, 2012
nahinbdis: I work in one of the foriegn Banks in VI. I have this close pal (a team leader) that recently started selling his wife's chin-chin in the office. I found he initially brought some for product testing in order to obtain valuable feedback for improvement. However people loved it and asked him to keep bringing and he has just started.

Thing is the guy is not broke (I know his pay and he drives an SUV). Someone commented today that he must really love the wife to do that. Another said its not so cool. I think its not so bad afterall particularly because the wife is just starting. What do you think?

Why do you have a problem with this man's decision to help out his wife in a honest way?
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by ronkebp(f): 12:22am On Jul 26, 2012
tpia@:

i think a bit of selling is allowed during lunch hours- it depends on company policy and the product must not be a competitive one.

In addition, small stuff wouldnt be sweated unless the manager is somewhat a.nal.

I've bought small items at work before, years ago.

but in nigeria where everyone is trying to hustle, i dont think it should be a big deal inasmuch as the guy isnt in a top managerial postition.

Even if he is sef. Assuming he's selling cars, would it be an issue.

Will he bring the car to the office and be dishing it out as chin-chin.? we need to develop work ethics.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by debosky(m): 12:49am On Jul 26, 2012
Abeg we fit sample some or this world famous chin chin on NL?

Do you do deliveries? cheesy
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by kobikwelu(m): 2:30am On Jul 26, 2012
strangely...i find this a very romantic thing to do ooo..

i remmember at my previous place of work..our head of operations brings his wife's chin chin to the office and sells it..every body being dey rush the chin chin ..even him own oga..

its perfectly fine..i think its more of a romantic thing...
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by kobikwelu(m): 2:42am On Jul 26, 2012
I am a bit surprised at the responses on this thread. It's obvious that most of the replies are coming from people with limited corporate experience. The man's action is unprofessional and this type of activity is expressly forbidden in most mid-size to large corporations in the West. In fact, the only other type of "employment" or "business" most employers will tolerate is non-profit work or volunteer work. Selling merchandise in the office is grounds for immediate dismissal. He is technically representing another business interest (his sole focus during working hours should be on the business he is getting paid full-time wages for.) In addition, he is using corporate property (i.e. the office premises) for unapproved personal gain.

Besides, it's just reflects poor judgement. It's a different thing if his wife came in to the office everyday to sell her chin-chin. But the man is selling it himself? Is this the same man I am supposed to promote to a leadership position and trust to safeguard my company's resources? What will he do when he becomes office manager? Convert the office into a supermarket? How are his subordinates supposed to look-up to a man that will jeopardize his career for less than 20k naira in profits per month? This is the type of man that will sell/rent-out office property and collect bribes to make extra-money on the side. If I were his boss, I would fire him immediately.

PS - My viewpoint is very westernized (although I was born and raised in Nigeria, I have no work experience in Nigeria). Given how upside-down and backwards most of Nigeria is, it wouldn't surprise me if this type of behavior is endemic at Nigerian corporations.

i have throw my 2 cents in
@ braveheart... if you've taken some project management courses..you would understand that cultures are different...and the way stuff gets done is different in different cultures..you would be shocked at business practices in some far-flung countries(dubai)....so your using the lens from the "west" to judge practices here will obviously not help in viewing things in the right manner....
my point being..its all about the manner in which he sells it...if he does so during lunch time and he does so casually, its fine..and remmemmber..his colleagues actually like the product..and if it does not affect his on-the-job performance, then he is fine..
besides..most cutting edge companies like the facebooks and googles dont have your so called "traditional work structures" its all about getting the job done.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 4:18am On Jul 26, 2012
braveheart2012: I am a bit surprised at the responses on this thread. It's obvious that most of the replies are coming from people with limited corporate experience. The man's action is unprofessional and this type of activity is expressly forbidden in most mid-size to large corporations in the West. In fact, the only other type of "employment" or "business" most employers will tolerate is non-profit work or volunteer work. Selling merchandise in the office is grounds for immediate dismissal. He is technically representing another business interest (his sole focus during working hours should be on the business he is getting paid full-time wages for.) In addition, he is using corporate property (i.e. the office premises) for unapproved personal gain.

Thank you for your long sermon sir. but since you know such stuffs might be endemic in Nigerian corp, why the long epistle then? Nigerians and their "I am among" attitude.

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by tpia5: 4:45am On Jul 26, 2012
its actually not unusual to see people selling stuff in nigerian workplaces.

household items, shoes, clothes, etc,.

i really dont see what the big deal is as long as its kept to a minimum and preferably lunchbreaks.

but to each his own.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by dasparrow: 5:01am On Jul 26, 2012
Acidosis: Now that he drives an SUV, does it mean he can't do business again? Some bad friends can surely kill a man's dream.
No wonder Dangote keeps counting billions, even if it means frying plaintain chips, he will do it as long as there is profit.

Please bros, never let anyone discourage that man.

Well said!
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by dasparrow: 5:02am On Jul 26, 2012
chaircover: people should just learn to mind their own business. What does it matter if he sells his wifes chin chin or boli and epa in the office. If he were selling his wifes cocaine, then yes you can gossip about that.

Not so cool kini undecided People and their stuupid fake airs and graces. Since when did a honest days work become a crime. People are sooooooo ignorant. The owner of Tasty fried chicken started baking in her kitchen and look where she is today.

Please give that man a big hug from me. He is a man who recognizes his wifes potential and has decided to support her dream and encourage her rather than kill it.

BTW Since when did owning a SUV mean that one has totally arrived? I said it before and I am saying it again . . . some people are just soooooooo ignorant angry

Most Nigerians don't know how to mind their business. That is the problem. They keep trying to cause confusion in other people's lives and it is very annoying to tell you the truth.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by shilling(f): 5:31am On Jul 26, 2012
Op, please don't let anyone discourage ur friend. Nothing wrong with what he's doing as long as he's doing it in a professional way as this is an office setting.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Diligence: 6:55am On Jul 26, 2012
I can deduce from various contributions here that the bane of Nigeria's problem is hypocrisy and cynicism. We categorise corruption/breach of code of conduct and weigh them in our selfish scale and pass judgement. 1. He who uses the company's resources is guilty of a breach and that includes YOU! Yes You... 1. when u use the coy's internet facility for ur personal mails, etc. 2. when u use the coy's phone for personal calls. 3. you come in late or leave early vice versa... 4. when u use the coy's time for unproductive chats/gossip, etc

In the light of the above, he who is without 'sin', cast the first stone!

If we continue wt this hypocrisy and cynicism, it will not benefit you... it's like pointing one finger at some1 else, the other fingers are yours, u know!

I will encourage the guy to do it in an 'organised manner and professionally, too' - outside of working hours (before and after close of business and during lunchtime). He can also hire some guys to help out, since the biz is growing and will keep growing. Some staffers even take some minutes during office hours to go smoke and the hypocrites do not see anything wrong with this, and some manise/womanise/gossip from desk to desk, et al.

Some idle loafers are busy talking abt an entrepreneur in the making, instead of encouraging the young man or even asking him for some free business tips.

Stop having sleepless nyts over this young and growing biz, and see how u can help ur miserable selves! We are all in it together. Let's bother more on how to save Nigeria from the vultures that are ravaging our economy (in billions of dollars).

2 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by vanitty: 7:55am On Jul 26, 2012
I work in a very corporate organisation,shades of black and grey is the colour of the day all day!
However, we have colleagues that bring salmosas and other mini treats from other department to sell at times, we get books delivered bi-weekly.
Does it affect productivity? No
Really, how many minutes can you spend buying the chinchin?! Afterall, are you really going to spend the whole day debating what chinchin to buy?!
Kudos to the husband I say. Higher grounds you shall go Oko iyawo. All successful businesses that stands the length of time have humble beginnings.

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nuzo1(m): 8:12am On Jul 26, 2012
Claus: Na wa o!

Why the venom at the poster? Especially since the poster ended by saying it's not so bad.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of small/medium sized enterprises as they form the backbone of many economies. Many of them also grow to become significant having started from humble beginnings. Even though he may have a good job, the potential for the business to grow certainly makes it worthwile.

The only misgivings I would have would be if the selling of chin chin somehow affected the professional environment in the office. From management's perspective, I would probably insist that the selling only happened at lunchtime, or before/after office hours in order to keep things professional especially where external clients may visit.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by jidobaba(m): 8:25am On Jul 26, 2012
Gawd, what kinda fellow sells his wife's chin-chin in the office?! grin @amdman, think about it abeg. Tell me, what do your do your friends say about it when you guys hang out at the bar? ...oh, I forgot, you don't hang out with the boys, gotta get home to the missus cheesy
just kiddin, different strokes finally.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by jidobaba(m): 8:33am On Jul 26, 2012
P.S. nobody should dare call this a business or compare it with McDonalds' beginnings abeg. I'd rather he hawk the chin-chin in the streets sef, rather than de-repping hiiself in the office. For N2000? fluck that. Like it or not, life is all about the rep you build for yourself, your 'packaging'. Hocking chin-chin in the office? bros, c'mon cool
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 26, 2012
For those of you talking about entrepreneurship and whatnot, I really don't see this as a means of making any extra meaningful profit for the man - based on the OP's suggestion that he earns a big salary. It is usually the low-level staff that sell stuff like that to augment their meagre wages. Unless he sells truck-loads of chin-chin, I don't see how this is really 'business' in the true sense of it. We might just say the man really loves his wife and the taste of her chin-chin, and expresses this love by selling her home-made(?) chin-chin to a handful of his colleagues so that they'll know his wife is great at stuff like that. It does wonders for women's self-esteem and well-being to know that their creativity, 'talent', or culinary skills are appreciated and validated. I guess that's what this is about. I imagine he's the sort of 'romantic' husband many women claim to like.

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by MMM2(m): 8:41am On Jul 26, 2012
It is very good.
Dat what we call support
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by sayso: 9:45am On Jul 26, 2012
I am in the same position with the posters friend.But the reality is this.
1.Support your wife if you can
2.Aid her in moving the business in the right direction by given ideas.
3.Do not directly get involve in distributing/selling the product if you are engaged in another full employment.
4.There is some thing that is called (Conflict of interest,if you ever signed a confidentiality agreement in organization, you will know.
5.Directly getting involve in another business interest will introduce errors inside the original business.
6.When investigations come up in terms of any consequence management,you will be pointed out and it may mean outright dismissal.

My advice as I did to my wife

1.Distribute your business yourself.
2.If it becomes more profitable than my job,I can quit and join you
3.Register as a vendor and have legitimate right to the premises to do business.

Pls people let us not bring in sentiments into this,you cannot run a business in another person's business.The lawyers can comment on this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Man Takes Used Condoms To Court As Prove Of Sister Inlaw’s Infidelity / Parents Take Son To Court To Force Him To Get A Job / What Do You Do To A Father Who Batters And HumiliatesYour Mum In Front Of You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.