Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,694 members, 7,802,034 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:16 AM

800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest (9426 Views)

Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank / Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by ambrosini593(m): 2:34am On Jul 25, 2012
Hundreds of staff of Mainstreet Bank, yesterday, marched to the office of Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State to protest against their sack by the bank management last month.

No fewer than 800 staff were laid off on June 22.

The protesters, who converged on Ikeja Mall, to commence their protest, displayed placards with inscriptions such as, “Is transformation agenda of the banking industry meant to impoverish us; Full blown apartheid in Mainstreet Bank; Pay us our 2012 leave allowance and July 2012 salary in full,” among others.

Their leader, Mr. Micheal Akintola, said a larger percentage of those sacked were staff of former Afribank.

He said: “Afribank was liquidated on July 6 while our appointment was terminated earlier. This means that the bank was still functioning before we were sacked.

“And, when we were called upon to sign our termination letters, we were made to sign the letter under duress.”

“After terminating our appointment, they gave us one month basic salary as compensation for someone who has worked for over 20 years for the bank.

“We came here to alert the governor of what is happening to us and to help us speak to the President as well to intervene into the matter.

“We do not say they should not sack us, but they should pay us our benefits. We will not accept sacking us without benefits.”

However, the protesters were unable to see the governor, who was said to have gone for an inspection. They handed over their letter to the Chief of Staff, Mr. Olanrewaju Babalola, who promised to deliver it to the governor.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/800-sacked-mainstreet-bank-staff-protest/
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Acidosis(m): 5:29am On Jul 25, 2012
Is Fashola the C.E.O of Afribank or am I missing something?
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Afam4eva(m): 5:43am On Jul 25, 2012
What's Fashola's business with their sack?
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by ektbear: 5:52am On Jul 25, 2012
Acidosis: Is Fashola the C.E.O of Afribank or am I missing something?

I wonder oooo
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Abujafood: 9:17am On Jul 25, 2012
They should seek redress in court!

1 Like

Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by oncode1: 9:17am On Jul 25, 2012
Nigerians will never seize to amaze themselves, if the sacked workers begin demolish and cause problem for street now, una go see Fashola no dey work, no security, now them don carry their matter small small go tender to Governor for help, still you guys are not satisfied....NA WAOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Abujafood: 9:30am On Jul 25, 2012
on-code:
Nigerians will never seize to amaze themselves, if the sacked workers begin demolish and cause problem for street now, una go see Fashola no dey work, no security, now them don carry their matter small small go tender to Governor for help, still you guys are not satisfied....NA WAOOOOOOOOOOOO

What's your point?

1 Like

Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Okijajuju1(m): 9:30am On Jul 25, 2012
on-code:

...Are you mad?!
So what do they expect Fashola to do?! Is Lagos State Government the regulatory body for banks?!! Or is Fashola the majority shareholder in Mainstreet bank?!!
Make them destroy na!! Infact, make dem shut make too much noise make JTF use the vexation wey dem get for Boko Haram handle them.. How do you sign a sack letter under duress?!! Them point you gun abi them hold their famililes hostage?!! Most of these people are most likely contract staff judging by the fact that they were sacked with just one month pay as is the standard in most contract staff jobs.. Wetin the man sef been dey do working as contract staff for 20years?!! Like are you mad?!!
Even sef, complaining about the fact that na Afribank people them sack pass is stupid.. If Afribank had such a brillliant work force, maybe they would not have gone under..

I pity them sha as I too am about to suffer the same fate, but I have read my contract and know what I signed up for..

LIFE IS A BIITCH
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by noble84: 9:33am On Jul 25, 2012
Actually fashola is not the CEO of the bank,but probably he can use his good offices to remedy the situation to an extent i guess.but i think the court would have been a better idea.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by oncode1: 9:34am On Jul 25, 2012
Okija_juju:

...Are you mad?!
So what do they expect Fashola to do?! Is Lagos State Government the regulatory body for banks?!! Or is Fashola the majority shareholder in Mainstreet bank?!!
Make them destroy na!! Infact, make dem shut make too much noise make JTF use the vexation wey dem get for Boko Haram handle them.. How do you sign a sack letter under duress?!! Them point you gun abi them hold their famililes hostage?!! Most of these people are most likely contract staff judging by the fact that they were sacked with just one month pay as is the standard in most contract staff jobs.. Wetin the man sef been dey do working as contract staff for 20years?!! Like are you mad?!!
Even sef, complaining about the fact that na Afribank people them sack pass is stupid.. If Afribank had such a brillliant work force, maybe they would not have gone under..

I pity them sha as I too am about to suffer the same fate, but I have read my contract and know what I signed up for..

LIFE IS A BIITCH

I CLEARLY SEE YOU DON'T CARE AND YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE IT HAS/DID NOT HAPPEN TO YOU. IF E HAPPEN TO YOU, YOU GO CARE!
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Nobody: 9:35am On Jul 25, 2012
Fashola is now the CBN governor! O ma se o! Nigeria! A country of crazy dramas.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by oncode1: 9:35am On Jul 25, 2012
Abujafood:

What's your point?

my point is either you get it or you don't there is no in between the centre of the middle........that is my point, you get?
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by doctokwus: 9:35am On Jul 25, 2012
Appropriate place shd av bn CBN lagos office.If am to bliv dere number was 800(whc I seriously doubt),dere is no way dere impact wudnt av bn felt bc activities of dat day in d CBN wud av bn disrupted& d msg will subsequently reach dat mallam at d helm of CBN dat knows nothing but is a tin God 2 d likes of GEJ
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by AjanleKoko: 9:41am On Jul 25, 2012
They should at least have the decency to pay some severance to these people.
I can't say people should not be sacked, but pay them severance.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Wised(m): 9:43am On Jul 25, 2012
Abeg na only lagos dy sacked 800 staff,if no y oda's restrenched staff of oda state no protest
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Super1759: 9:53am On Jul 25, 2012
Actually we are running a democratic regime so even madmen assocation can even protest for no good road.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Ejine(m): 10:04am On Jul 25, 2012
What do they want Fashola to do? Order the CEO To kneel down and raise up his hands?
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Afam4eva(m): 10:06am On Jul 25, 2012
I think this is what cowards do. Instead of them to storm the office of the bank, they're going to Alausa to shed tears.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by talktrue1(m): 10:17am On Jul 25, 2012
Maybe they mistake Lagos state GOVERNOR for cbn GOVERNOR
Sanusi should pay them from his CBN charity account
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Ournaija: 10:22am On Jul 25, 2012
Sofri sofri my pipple. This guys been dey protest make them get our sympathy instead na bashing we come dey dish give them. undecided
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Finland(m): 10:22am On Jul 25, 2012
Ejiné: What do they want Fashola to do? Order the CEO To kneel down and raise up his hands?
use your head! He could use his good office to intervene before it turns to something worse.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Olami1224: 10:29am On Jul 25, 2012
Some people just make comment here as if they do not have hum feelings? they did the right thing, with the Governors interference the Bank should be able to compensate them.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by bumps(m): 10:38am On Jul 25, 2012
Gov fashole dont ve the power under the law to change dis decision and i dnt tink he has the influence to overturn the decision of the management.but i tink they ve union bodies that can handle this for the sacked staff,my advise for them is that more of their strenght shld be directed at looking at hw they can start sometin on their own while hoping that the union can work tins out
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by 5much(m): 10:40am On Jul 25, 2012
i hope d gov helps dem.its very painful and unimaginable for one to get a pittance after 20yrs of hard labour.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by PBundles(m): 10:48am On Jul 25, 2012
Come on people lets use our intelligence. Believe me they are aware of the fact that the Gov is not a shareholder etc, I think they wanted to draw attention to what was going on and create awareness. You see we Nigerians always complain that its better overseas and that other countries are develeoped, BUT this is part of development, take my word. If the banks choose to lay off wordkers, there must be an agreed payment settlement done cordially. Thats how its done in developed countries. They could pay them say 1/2 a months salary for every year worked. So someone who worked 20 years could get 10 months paid. Keep in mind that they contributed to the financial well being of the bank. What if those same workers decided to stop working without warning? Would the banks be happy. We dont have an unemployment scheme to cater for these people. Keep in mind that they will not contribute to the economy as they are no longer able to sepnd. This trickles down the chain. Keep the Big Picture in mind and think outside of the box as well as outside of your little world. They can be your brother or sister or even you down the line. My brothers and sisters, note that how we treat our citizens internally says something about us in terms of development as a nation.

2 Likes

Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by kpokute: 11:01am On Jul 25, 2012
on-code:
Do you think every one here is normal......let them keep asking silly questipons!

1 Like

Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by clemmonce(m): 11:06am On Jul 25, 2012
Acidosis: Is Fashola the C.E.O of Afribank or am I missing something?

mumu na cbn headquarters make dem go
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by kpokute: 11:09am On Jul 25, 2012
Okija_juju:

...Are you mad?!

LIFE IS A BIITCH

You are asking the guy if he's mad, i think the question should be directed to you. The protesters are all Lagos based ex bankers, and Fashola is the governor of Lagos state. Again, they didn't tell you they are holding Fashola responsible, rather they are pleading with him to help them talk to the management of the bank, as well as pass their message accross to the President, it's done every where so stop firing the guy!
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 25, 2012
Did they take the Lagos State Governor for the CBN Governor?

Let them go to court. That's their best bet.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by drealsirhid: 11:28am On Jul 25, 2012
kpokute: You are asking the guy if he's mad, i think the question should be directed to you. The protesters are all Lagos based ex bankers, and Fashola is the governor of Lagos state. Again, they didn't tell you they are holding Fashola responsible, rather they are pleading with him to help them talk to the management of the bank, as well as pass their message accross to the President, it's done every where so stop firing the guy!

....And your own opinion is so weak in the circumstance. The proper venue to air their grievance is the CBN Hq, and most importantly the law courts. They've choosen the wrong medium.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by sayso: 11:46am On Jul 25, 2012
They should pay them their rights.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Acidosis(m): 11:59am On Jul 25, 2012
clemmonce: mumu na cbn headquarters make dem go

no sir, carry them come my house. . . Biggest mumu.

Afribank is not a Nigerian government own institution. Na persons like you get am. . Okay, use your brain. If you have a company and the return on investment isn't what you bargain for (may be you even find it hard to pay your workers). . What will you do? ?

It is a sad thing to read stories like this, but people need to start differenciating private enterprises from government jobs.

CBN is the appropriate place to go. Definitely, something will be done. Most banks pays entitlements when things like this happen.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wema Bank Graduate Trainee / Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? / Electrical Control Panel Design, Installation And Maintenance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.