Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,431 members, 7,800,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September (10043 Views)

APC & PDP Senators Disagree Over 2016 Budget Implementation / FG Retracts 56% Budget Implementation Claim / Budget Implementation: Key To Nigeria’s Recovery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by jmaine: 3:24am On Jul 26, 2012
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) today (Wednesday July 25, 2012), confirmed that the implementation of the 2012 budget has reached 56% from 39% as at the end of May.

Briefing State House Correspondents at the end of the council meeting chaired by President Goodluck Jonathan, the minister of finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala said that the 56% represents 324 billion naira of the 404 billion so far released.

She stressed that the objective remains that president Goodluck Jonathan and the executive arm of government are on the same page with the National Assembly in the execution of the budget and the need to deliver on the development programmes of the country.

On the reports that the lower legislative chamber wants President Jonathan to implement the budget 100% before September or be impeached, she said that “there is nowhere in the country where budget is implemented 100% by September” insisting that from her experience the least any country has done is 80%.

The FEC said that there is no lack of effort on the part of government on budget implementation expressing the confidence that in the next few months both the National Assembly and Nigerians will say “yes a good effort has been made”.

Director General of the Bereau for Public Procurement (BPP), Emeka Eze highlighted the challenges in budget implementation, saying that “all projects must go through a process of scrutiny by the BPP and this is time consuming” he explains.

The FEC directed that henceforth in bilateral agreement with any country on issues of education beginning with Turkey, the Ministry of Education should ensure a proper need assessment that will enable Nigerian students go into areas of study that are of national priority.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/07/25/100-per-cent-budget-implementation-not-possible-by-september-okonjo-iweala/
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by dasparrow: 4:09am On Jul 26, 2012
jmaine:

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/07/25/100-per-cent-budget-implementation-not-possible-by-september-okonjo-iweala/

Mtshew! whatever they say. Our government is always making flimsy excuses for their professional and political inadequacies. We will soon be entering the eight month of 2012 and our leaders are still talking about not implementing the 2012 budget. So when we get into 2013 God willing, when are our leaders going to draft and implement that budget? This is what happens when we vote in a person based on tribe affiliation rather than competence. Enjoy the fresh air fellow Nigerians!

PS: I will be back on this thread to make sure my post did not grow wings and fly away into oblivion since lately a few of my posts have been mysteriously disappearing. Peace, out!

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Kobojunkie: 4:20am On Jul 26, 2012
[size=14pt]On the reports that the lower legislative chamber wants President Jonathan to implement the budget 100% before September or be impeached, she said that “there is nowhere in the country where budget is implemented 100% by September” insisting that from her experience the least any country has done is 80%.[/size]

Madam I disagree there.

#1. Most developed Nations are in the situation as Nigeria,and so I see no sense in your trying to compare Nigeria with DEVELOPED countries. That is unless your intention is to compare Nigeria's budget implementation standards with those of other third-world countries.In that case, I will question your understanding of the problem we would like to have solved in this country.

#2. Last year, you announced that well over 20,000 projects were abandoned(most of them already payed for). What that information suggests to me is that we could never have made 100% to begin with, not because of what happens in other countries, but because the "system" we hired you to replace/overhaul, inhibits that from happening. According to you, We have a backlog of projects and that to me implies we need to be at over 100% from 2012 onward if we intend to catch up(catch up to the future we deserve).

#3. The 2012 Budget consist of more than 80% allocations to ONGOING PROJECTS. So, I see no reason why the Nigerian People should not expect many of those ONGOING PROJECTS to have been completed or UPDATED by September of 2012.
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Chanchit: 6:37am On Jul 26, 2012
I'm tired of this NOI and Prince of Kano o, all this their pattern make me want to check, if i still have brain in my head... Their dictionary is always full of impossibilities...
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Nobody: 10:17am On Jul 26, 2012
So what's new?
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by talktrue1(m): 10:20am On Jul 26, 2012
100% implementation is impossible but 100% spending is possible
They have spent all the budget allocation and will soon request for appropriation
Where did they spent the budget? Nobody knows

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by alaoeri: 10:22am On Jul 26, 2012
This government is confused just trying to cover their a$$.
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Demdem(m): 10:29am On Jul 26, 2012
To be honest, asking for 100% from these foools will be all over the top. being a realist here. Am encouraged that she said 56% has been achieved so far (july ending), thats not bad but wait a minute, what was this huge amount spent on? Lets see if the house will agree with her or not. She can be lying, she has lied several times even on live TV before and can still do it again.

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by robinhoodd2(m): 10:33am On Jul 26, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]On the reports that the lower legislative chamber wants President Jonathan to implement the budget 100% before September or be impeached, she said that “there is nowhere in the country where budget is implemented 100% by September” [b]insisting that from her experience the least any country has done is 80%.[/b]am i d only 1 seeing thisif d least is 80%,then 90% should be achievable.i stand to be corrected

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 26, 2012
It is well o
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Delafruita(m): 10:34am On Jul 26, 2012
madam okonjo,if you submit a budget proposal to your husband for the month,will it be sensible for your husband to expect to see evidence of the meat you bought,the vegetable you asked for,the foodstuff etc?if by the 10th of the month,your husband comes home and there's no meal,would he be right to demand an explanation?if this keeps occuring,will he be justified in employing a cook who has no choice but to ensure the budget is implemented to the latter?

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by aare07(m): 10:34am On Jul 26, 2012
100% is impossible, but 100% spending is real.
at the tail end the FG will still go to the capital market to to run the country on deficit.
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Delafruita(m): 10:36am On Jul 26, 2012
Demdem: To be honest, asking for 100% from these foools will be all over the top. being a realist here. Am encouraged that she said 56% has been achieved so far (july ending), thats not bad but wait a minute, what was this huge amount spent on? Lets see if the house will agree with her or not. She can be lying, she has lied several times even on live TV before and can still do it again.
what else could it have been spent on other than recurrent expenditure?the total 887billion budgetted for subsidy for 2012 has already been expended as at june.it makes me wonder where they'd get the money to pay for the rest of the year.they'd probably act the same film as last year
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by mekaboy(m): 10:38am On Jul 26, 2012
56% has been shared and looted.
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Wised(m): 10:40am On Jul 26, 2012
I tink wat she is sayin is ryte,most of d pples in d lower chambers dnt knw wat national budget is al abt;dy shud live r 2 handle it cos she is a professional
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by ZURYZEST(m): 10:42am On Jul 26, 2012
all this thier fallacies will soon be over, wait a minute, this people have turned all Nigerian to mumu abi, to the extent that they can easilly give us cock and bull stories. God punish that her mouth, what rubish, but the budget can be 100% spent. madam!!!! haha!!! make una fear God ooo.
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Pukkah: 10:43am On Jul 26, 2012
jmaine:

On the reports that the lower legislative chamber wants President Jonathan to implement the budget 100% before September or be impeached, she said that “there is nowhere in the country where budget is implemented 100% by September” insisting that from her experience the least any country has done is 80%.

If the least is 80% then what is the highest? I think this woman is getting overwhelmed or flustered.

By the way, which exact projects have they spent the amount released on?
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by wandeay: 10:43am On Jul 26, 2012
this cabinet with der magic, i tire for this cajole oo
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by pendusky(m): 10:43am On Jul 26, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Madam I disagree there.

#1. Most developed Nations are in the situation as Nigeria,and so I see no sense in your trying to compare Nigeria with DEVELOPED countries. That is unless your intention is to compare Nigeria's budget implementation standards with those of other third-world countries.In that case, I will question your understanding of the problem we would like to have solved in this country.

#2. Last year, you announced that well over 20,000 projects were abandoned(most of them already payed for). What that information suggests to me is that we could never have made 100% to begin with, not because of what happens in other countries, but because the "system" we hired you to replace/overhaul, inhibits that from happening. According to you, We have a backlog of projects and that to me implies we need to be at over 100% from 2012 onward if we intend to catch up(catch up to the future we deserve).

#3. The 2012 Budget consist of more than 80% allocations to ONGOING PROJECTS. So, I see no reason why the Nigerian People should not expect many of those ONGOING PROJECTS to have been completed or UPDATED by September of 2012.

Better Said than done! Minister Kobo!
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Demdem(m): 10:43am On Jul 26, 2012
Delafruita:
what else could it have been spent on other than recurrent expenditure?the total 887billion budgetted for subsidy for 2012 has already been expended as at june.it makes me wonder where they'd get the money to pay for the rest of the year.they'd probably act the same film as last year

Wait a minute, is recurrent expenditure part of it? i even thought she was reffering strictly to Capital expenditure by virture of her language

that the 56% represents 324 billion naira of the 404 billion so far released.
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Delafruita(m): 10:46am On Jul 26, 2012
Demdem:

Wait a minute, is recurrent expenditure part of it? i even thought she was reffering strictly to Capital expenditure by virture of her language

that the 56% represents 324 billion naira of the 404 billion so far released.
isnt recurrent expenditure part of the budget?76% of the budget was for recurrent expenditure so i can assure you if they even make 80% implementation,only 4% will be to capital expenditure.like femi gbaja said,"this is a voodoo democracy"
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by tiarabubu: 10:51am On Jul 26, 2012
Madam NOI has a point.

Money inflows dont come in one go. Taxes are collected everyday - not once. Crude is exported every day - not once. The budget is based on anticipated income - not income in a bank. The MDA's capacity to spend is progressive. Eg the contractor working on Abuja - Lokoja Road works progressively and is paid as work is done. He is not paid up front or in bulk. Civil servants are paid salaries MONTHLY and by september only 75% of the salaries for the year would have been paid (ie 7/12 x 100)- they are not paid yearly. And considering that overheads are major component of the budget.

For these reasons, I think she has a point that its impossible to implement the budget 100% by September, unless the National Assembly and the Executive agreed on the programme of expenditure (i.e. quarterly or monthly) that they can hold on to, but then the variances in the inflows and outflows of revenue monthly will render that a guide at best.

I think its all politics. The national assembly is most likely mad at the Executive cos of the Facrook and Otedollar scandal which they see as being engineered by the Presidency. This shadow boxing is all horse trading. No sooner than later, a compromise will be found, Otedollar and Facrook will be given a soft landing and Nigerians will all be loosers yet again. Phew!

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Demdem(m): 10:52am On Jul 26, 2012
Delafruita:
isnt recurrent expenditure part of the budget?76% of the budget was for recurrent expenditure so i can assure you if they even make 80% implementation,only 4% will be to capital expenditure.like femi gbaja said,"this is a voodoo democracy"

u have a good point. basically the retardeen is just there to pay salaries and allowances of numerous committee members, current and would be. No substantial infrastructural development should be expected.
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by uncleb(m): 10:52am On Jul 26, 2012
One day Nigerians will wake up from their slumber and sentiments to confront these evil men and women their rightful place.

It is not practicable to achieve 100% budget implementation? I was deeply shocked when i heard this from aunty Ngo yesterday. it even baffles me that she wasn't even trying to explain to us that there are constraints and impediments, rather she merely told Nigerians that their government will not and cannot implement the budget to the latter.

But come to think of it, do they collect their salaries and allowances fully or not. am sure they even earn in excess of 100% because they steal and embezzle, but to put appropriate infrastructure in place, they are saying it cannot be achieved 100%.

Shai, these people no get shame. But if na from America where this madam come for some says this, yes, we all know what would have happened by now.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by idirect(m): 10:56am On Jul 26, 2012
mekaboy: 56% has been shared and looted.

Login Budget Implementation #Nigeria: Error 404: implementation not found, looters Virus in system"

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by chucky234(m): 10:58am On Jul 26, 2012
Wised: I tink wat she is sayin is ryte,most of d pples in d lower chambers dnt knw wat national budget is al abt;dy shud live r 2 handle it cos she is a professional
Why acting like a goon while your username suggest otherwise
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by duality(m): 11:08am On Jul 26, 2012
coz of the mindset of slow Nigerians they can never comprehend the truth. she just said the practical truth giving the prevailing circumstances. is it when she says 100% that slow Nairalanders will see to reason? SMH you implement budget based on available funds not just coz it was approved by the criminal house.

On the other hand, Nairalanders don't Know what Budgeting means to the legislooters. its simple . when various ministries and paralstatals are not making returns to the legislooters for not doting the "I" and crossing the "T" during budget defense they simply cry of low implementation. as if its not the same group that share the surplus from the budget in the past without implementing nothing.

Nigerian do not know those who love them. its a shame.
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by dtemidare: 11:09am On Jul 26, 2012
dasparrow:

Mtshew! whatever they say. Our government is always making flimsy excuses for their professional and political inadequacies. We will soon be entering the eight month of 2012 and our leaders are still talking about not implementing the 2012 budget. So when we get into 2013 God willing, when are our leaders going to draft and implement that budget? This is what happens when we vote in a person based on tribe affiliation rather than competence. Enjoy the fresh air fellow Nigerians!

PS: I will be back on this thread to make sure my post did not grow wings and fly away into oblivion since lately a few of my posts have been mysteriously disappearing. Peace, out!

keep queit. what do you know about running a government. The fact still remains that we do not see the things they see. If you are made the president of Nigeria tomorrow i bet you, you will not last a day. it is only when you are in there shoes that you will be able to fanthom what difficulties they are passing through.
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by jmaine: 11:09am On Jul 26, 2012
uncleb:

It is not practicable to achieve 100% budget implementation? I was deeply shocked when i heard this from aunty Ngo yesterday. it even baffles me that she wasn't even trying to explain to us that there are constraints and impediments, rather she merely told Nigerians that their government will not and cannot implement the budget to the latter.

She did mention the constraint's of implementing new projects such as, the duration consumed in carrying out feasibility studies, after which you then proceed to the procurement phase which also takes time, before actual work commences

Didn't she mention those constraints ? . . .we need to stop exaggerating our personal opinions as fact . . .

next time, don't indulge everyone with your falsehood . . .
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by chucky234(m): 11:13am On Jul 26, 2012
tiarabubu: Madam NOI has a point.

Money inflows dont come in one go. Taxes are collected everyday - not once. Crude is exported every day - not once. The budget is based on anticipated income - not income in a bank. The MDA's capacity to spend is progressive. Eg the contractor working on Abuja - Lokoja Road works progressively and is paid as work is done. He is not paid up front or in bulk. Civil servants are paid salaries MONTHLY and by september only 75% of the salaries for the year would have been paid (ie 7/12 x 100)- they are not paid yearly. And considering that overheads are major component of the budget.

For these reasons, I think she has a point that its impossible to implement the budget 100% by September, unless the National Assembly and the Executive agreed on the programme of expenditure (i.e. quarterly or monthly) that they can hold on to, but then the variances in the inflows and outflows of revenue monthly will render that a guide at best.

I think its all politics. The national assembly is most likely mad at the Executive cos of the Facrook and Otedollar scandal which they see as being engineered by the Presidency. This shadow boxing is all horse trading. No sooner than later, a compromise will be found, Otedollar and Facrook will be given a soft landing and Nigerians will all be loosers yet again. Phew!
Take out time to education yourself on revenue generation and process of budget implementation before coming out here display your deluded moronic post,the 56% is 340 billion naira but you should have asked yourself how much the country generate from taxes and sales of crude oil in seven months.

Your poor analysis of income outflow and inflow is pathetic, NOI and GEJ have no excuss not to implement 90% of the budget by Sepyember.

You are not even ashame to list contractor working on Lokoja-Abuja road in reference to the 2012 budget,most of those amount are paid 100% upfront even before the contractors mobilise their workers to site as that will afford them to overdraft the invoices and make huge money from the said contracts.

There are more evil going on in this govt than what we assumed.
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by duality(m): 11:18am On Jul 26, 2012
chucky234: Take out time to education yourself on revenue generation and process of budget implementation before coming out here display your deluded moronic post,the 56% is 340 billion naira but you should have asked yourself how much the country generate from taxes and sales of crude oil in seven months.

Your poor analysis of income outflow and inflow is pathetic, NOI and GEJ have no excuss not to implement 90% of the budget by Sepyember.

You are not even ashame to list contractor working on Lokoja-Abuja road in reference to the 2012 budget,most of those amount are paid 100% upfront even before the contractors mobilise their workers to site as that will afford them to overdraft the invoices and make huge money from the said contracts.

There are more evil going on in this govt than what we assumed.

kindly prove the highlighted. or forever hold thy peace. will you pay any contractor 100% upfront?
Re: Okonjo-iweala- 100% Budget Implementation Not Possible By September by Kobojunkie: 11:19am On Jul 26, 2012
Wised: I tink wat she is sayin is ryte,most of d pples in d lower chambers dnt knw wat national budget is al abt;dy shud live r 2 handle it cos she is a professional

How can she be right? She is already working on the 2013 budget, and I bet you that there will be a lot of ONGOING PROJECTS on that list, and requests for more money for these projects in there. Why is it not feasible to expect 100% implementation, and at least 3 months of work/progress report, on most every project we allocated money for this year?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Delivering Infrastructure: Lessons For Nigeria And The UK - By Fashola / Chatham House And Nigeria’s Growing Cultural Cringe By Farooq Kperogi / Reuben Abati's Response To Patience Jonathan AU Delegates Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.