Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,456 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest (36460 Views)

Lagos To Demolish 800 Houses For 4th Mainland Bridge / Troops Demolish Boko Haram Guard Post In Sambisa, Kill Insurgents [PHO / Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Dainfamous: 10:04pm On Jul 27, 2012
There was palpable tension in the commercial city of Onitsha yesterday when the Muslim community comprising Igbos, Hausas and Yorubas resisted alleged plot by the Anambra state government to demolish their Central Mosque located close to the Bridgehead market. Saturday Nation gathered that the Muslims numbering over 1000 and chanting “Allah is the greatest”, maintained that the plan by the state government to destroy their place of worship was a fallout of the cold war against them in the state.
Addressing journalists yesterday during the protest, the leader of the Muslims, Alhaji Habib Faruk, said they have already compiled with the state government’s decision to beautify the Bridgehead and Upper Iweka axis by removing all their shops as directed, adding the said mosque does not fall within the area marked for demolition.
Alhaji Faruk who led the protest, condemned the manner members of the Anambra state task force under the Transition Committee Chairman of Onitsha South descended on the Muslims during their Friday prayer and forced them out of the mosque.
He maintained that the action of the state government might not be unconnected with the current activities of the dreaded Boko Haram in some Northern parts of the country.He pleaded with the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mohammed Abubakar, to prevail on the state government to approach the issue with caution in view of the security situation in the country.
“We are not resisting the decision of the state government to beautify the Bridgehead but the plan to demolish our place of worship is more political and could result in breakdown of law and order because no Muslim would stand by and watch their place of worship demolished for no just cause”
Meanwhile, the Transition Committee Chairman of Onitsha South, Mr. Okechukwu Ezeani, said the actionof the state government was not politically or religiously influenced, but a measure to clean up the entrance to the state.
He said “we are not targeting any mosque.Even if a cathedral is standing in the place marked out for demolition, it would be pulled down, so, the insinuation that the state government is witch hunting Muslims is unfounded and malicious”
It took the intervention of the Commander of the 302 Artillery Regiment, Onitsha , Col J. T Durowaiye, the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Balla Nasarawa and the Onitsha Area Commander, Mr. B.C. Wordu who drafted detachments of armed security men to the area to bring the situation under control.

http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&pubid=xa-4ebcf1157f12de8d

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/index.1.html
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Dainfamous: 10:06pm On Jul 27, 2012
BOKO HARAM IS WHAT WE DON'T WANT TO SEE BETTER RELOCATE...
THEY WANT TO START TROUBLE ALREADY...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Super1759: 10:45pm On Jul 27, 2012
Is the government mad to demolish their mosque?

4 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Dainfamous: 11:01pm On Jul 27, 2012
Super1759: Is the government mad to demolish their mosque?
it doesn't matter if it is mosque or church the bottom line is that the mosque is blocking the road is part of beautification of head-bridge

4 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by gists: 11:35pm On Jul 27, 2012
Da infamous:
. . .
. . .
Addressing journalists yesterday during the protest, the leader of the Muslims, Alhaji Habib Faruk, said they have already compiled with the state government’s decision to beautify the Bridgehead and Upper Iweka axis by removing all their shops as directed, adding the said mosque does not fall within the area marked for demolition.
. . .
. . .
“We are not resisting the decision of the state government to beautify the Bridgehead but the plan to demolish our place of worship is more political and could result in breakdown of law and order because no Muslim would stand by and watch their place of worship demolished for no just cause”
. . .
. . .
He said “we are not targeting any mosque.Even if a cathedral is standing in the place marked out for demolition, it would be pulled down, so, the insinuation that the state government is witch hunting Muslims is unfounded and malicious”

http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&pubid=xa-4ebcf1157f12de8d

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/index.1.html

Gov. Fashola (a muslim) demolished a mosque in Lagos and absolutely nothing happened because he presented concrete case to justify the action beyond objection to any sensible human. But you'll be looking for trouble to just demolish a mosque (or any building) and the only reason you can give is
we are not targeting any mosque.Even if a cathedral is standing in the place marked out for demolition, it would be pulled down, so, the insinuation that the state government is witch hunting Muslims is unfounded and malicious”

10 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Dainfamous: 11:55pm On Jul 27, 2012
gists:

Gov. Fashola (a muslim) demolished a mosque in Lagos and absolutely nothing happened because he presented concrete case to justify the action beyond objection to any sensible human. But you'll be looking for trouble to just demolish a mosque (or any building) and the only reason you can give is
read the news again,the mosque is blocking the way that includes other buildings, as u said,fashola gave a reason as u can see anambra state gave them a good reason as-well development u don't bring sentiments............

15 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Ejine(m): 12:00am On Jul 28, 2012
I think muslims of Igbo extraction should be 'cleansed' undecided

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by UncleJJ(m): 12:08am On Jul 28, 2012
Fashola is a yoruba muslim, in a state where the majority of.muslims are yorubas.

Peter Obi is an Ibo xtain in state where majority of muslims r nt Ibo's.

Please, let us learn to understand and forsee potential social dangers.

Wether we like it or not this is a sensitive issue, and the governor need to atleast provide a new site for the mosque before demolition.

This will give the BH, a reason to attack southerners in the north, please let us protect each other not foolishly provoke repraisal attacks .

12 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Dainfamous: 12:10am On Jul 28, 2012
Ejiné: I think muslims of Igbo extraction should be 'cleansed' undecided
i wonder,may be they are igala people...

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by aretedo: 6:48am On Jul 28, 2012
@UNCLE JJ who told you yorubas are not "muslims"?am a yoruba and a proud muslim,only Allah can judge who is a muslim or not ,your judgement is totally on false premises.

10 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Onlytruth(m): 7:26am On Jul 28, 2012

“We are not resisting the decision of the state government to beautify the Bridgehead but the plan to demolish our place of worship is more political and could result in breakdown of law and order because no Muslim would stand by and watch their place of worship demolished for no just cause

This is why I personally think that Islam will find it VERY HARD to establish in Igboland. This mindset of always threatening violence in the face of slighest grievance.
Churches have been severally demolished in Nigeria in the North, West and East, and no Christian ever threatens violence because of it. I am now beginning to understand why some believe that Islam and peace are like oil and water that can NEVER mix. I don't fear for Onitsha or Anambra state because I know that my people are capable of dealing with any trouble maker.
I wish the governor God's speed as he demolishes everything in the way of beautification of the bridge head. cool
We Anambrarians are SOLIDLY behind you! cool cool cool

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by nduchucks: 7:40am On Jul 28, 2012
As they say, "Perception Is Reality". In the Lagos case, the state government proper;y managed the demolition and most residents of Lagos including the muslims perceived that the demolition was the right thing to do.

In this case, the state government has mismanaged the demolition plan as well as the expectations of the muslims. The realities is that, muslims now perceive the planned demolition of their primary place of worship as an act of aggression.

This is the biggest mosque in Onitsha. Their are no more than 2 other places of worship in all of Onisha big enough to hold more than 50 worshipers shocked These state government decision makers should use wisdom to avert escalation of already tense adversarial relationships in the state.

@Onlytruth, as usual you display your foolishness. hapu moslems and their main place of worship. Nigeria is a secular society, olodo

11 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Antivirus92(m): 7:41am On Jul 28, 2012
The op is not serious. There are no igbo muslims. Why must the op lie against us by including "igbo muslims" which up to 98% doesn't exist.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by yoji: 7:49am On Jul 28, 2012
I jus want to correct d notion by someone on this thread dat yoruba muslims are not real muslims. This propaganda is spread by the hausa fulani in the north to promote their ethnic agenda. because wen they are presented wit d fact that how can they claim a religious war wen other muslims are being killed.
Muslims range from every where. U find them in china, spain, indonesia, usa etc and they all can't be hausa. Bsides the prophet was not hausa. The hausa/fulani are an unxposed domineerin group with an expansionist agenda which has now turned into an embarassement

16 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by abdurrazaq(m): 8:24am On Jul 28, 2012
To those who believe that (we) the Yorubas are not “real muslims“, there is a sentence we recite during salat - Semi‘a LLAHU limon hamidaHU - meaning ‘Only GOD knows HIS true worshipper‘. (We) the Yorubas are the pride of Islam in Nigeria and Africa.
To the affected worshippers in Onitsha, if the government wants the mosque demolished so be it, just make sure any other site for a new mosque should be approved by the planning authorities to avoid future demolition. Letting the government have their way on the issue doesn‘t mean they failed as muslims rather, it is an act of belief on their part.
May GOD bless us with peace in NIGERIA. AMYN

34 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by ayodeji1(m): 8:32am On Jul 28, 2012
I wonder how some ppl reason.most especially ppl we call our leaders.a leader should know how to manage crisis well.that is a very vital quality of a leader.already,there's the problem of bh on ground,which has gone a long way in changing the way other tribes perceive the muslims,ibos in particular.u are aware of this and yet u want to demolish a mosque in the east and fail to present the case well.yet u send your ppl to drive them out of the mosque during a prayer session,how on earth do u want them to feel?

6 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by gramci: 8:51am On Jul 28, 2012
The earlier the demolition takes place the better.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Elueme: 9:05am On Jul 28, 2012
UncleJJ: Fashola is a yoruba muslim, in a state where the majority of.muslims are yorubas. Beside's the yoruba muslims r nt regarded as "muslims" so to say.

Peter Obi is an Ibo xtain in state where majority of muslims r nt Ibo's.

Please, let us learn to understand and forsee potential social dangers.

Wether we like it or not this is a sensitive issue, and the governor need to atleast provide a new site for the mosque before demolition.

This will give the BH, a reason to attack southerners in the north, please let us protect each other not foolishly provoke repraisal attacks .
What are u now saying? That govt shouldn't do what is right and everybody shd be cowed because of bokoharam? Wake up my friend

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by PointB: 9:13am On Jul 28, 2012
I think those protesters are just been fanatic and capitalizing on the BH issue to blackmail the government.

If the mosque is build on grounds marked for demolition, it should give way. No sentiment, blackmail or threat should deter the government of Anambra state from cleaning the eyesore that is bridge head.

Btw the Boko Haram and other muslim fanatics need not use the demolition of the mosque to attack Southerners or Igbo, they have tonnes of ridiculous reasons for their bloodletting agenda. Yet we stand; and must move on. The Anambra State is well advised to proceed with 'Godspeed' in his beautification process. Boko Haran can not stop them. We don't die, Igbos, we multiply!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by phreakabit(m): 10:01am On Jul 28, 2012
[size=18pt]I have seen churches demolished in Lagos state under the governance of Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola (A MUSLIM). . . These churches where demolished because they were directly or indirectly impeding government projects. . . In retrospect,I do not recall any account in which members of demolition marked/targeted churches or Christians at large, staged protests or planned to protest the governments actions or decision. With that said, I employ the Anambra state government to take a firm stand and if necessary brutally compel these people to see things differently. [/size]

6 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Mrchippychappy(m): 10:18am On Jul 28, 2012
phreakabit: [size=18pt]I have seen churches demolished in Lagos state under the governance of Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola (A MUSLIM). . . These churches where demolished because they were directly or indirectly impeding government projects. . . In retrospect,I do not recall any account in which members of demolition marked/targeted churches or Christians at large, staged protests or planned to protest the governments actions or decision. With that said, I employ the Anambra state government to take a firm stand and if necessary brutally compel these people to see things differently. [/size]

On Point ! Like Al Capone said "You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
" . Get some heavily armed military men to the premises of the Mosque and then "Plead" with the Muhammedists to evacuate the area.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Nobody: 10:57am On Jul 28, 2012
ayodeji1: I wonder how some ppl reason.most especially ppl we call our leaders.a leader should know how to manage crisis well.that is a very vital quality of a leader.already,there's the problem of bh on ground,which has gone a long way in changing the way other tribes perceive the muslims,ibos in particular.u are aware of this and yet u want to demolish a mosque in the east and fail to present the case well.yet u send your ppl to drive them out of the mosque during a prayer session,how on earth do u want them to feel?

Oga please suggest other ways of explaning this to the muslims to avoid crisis. Methinks that Anambra government should demolish this mosque if indeed it is blocking access ways very well identified in their master plan. I do not see how the government owe any body or organization any explanation when they are acting within the law. The muslims or BOKO HARAM can go violent if they wish. They have been doing so all these years and without any body provoking them

4 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by slimming: 11:01am On Jul 28, 2012
Peaceful co-existence is what we need in Nigeria.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by achi4u(m): 12:31pm On Jul 28, 2012
they've already started treatening with violence and war,thats the BIG different btw yoruba muslim with hausa/fulani muslim.

unexposed bunch of fanatics
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Dawdy(m): 12:50pm On Jul 28, 2012
"If they gain dominance over you, they will be your enemies and
will stretch out their hands (force) and
tongues (media) towards you with evil
intent. They love to see you turn
away from your faith ". (al- quran, 60: 2)

8 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Yeske2(m): 1:01pm On Jul 28, 2012
Those protesting eediots can't be serious, the bigger mosque close to main market was not demolished and so what's the fuss? All they can do is ask for an alternative site. And for those threatening, well they know what happened the last time.

5 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by rhymz(m): 1:05pm On Jul 28, 2012
ayodeji1: I wonder how some ppl reason.most especially ppl we call our leaders.a leader should know how to manage crisis well.that is a very vital quality of a leader.already,there's the problem of bh on ground,which has gone a long way in changing the way other tribes perceive the muslims,ibos in particular.u are aware of this and yet u want to demolish a mosque in the east and fail to present the case well.yet u send your ppl to drive them out of the mosque during a prayer session,how on earth do u want them to feel?
abeg shut up your frigging mouth if you lack common sense to discern. Fashola is a muslim Yoruba who demolished a mosque used mainly by Yoruba muslims, of course that wont be much of a problem compared to Peter Obi, an Igbo christian man demolishing a mosque predominantly used by Hausa and Fulani muslims; of course reactions will be different. What better explanation did Fashole give for the demolition other than the fact it was standing on an illegal space. And pls, let's cut the crap, I am yet to meet an Igbo muslim, that nonsense seems to be a journalistic embelishment to give an impression of total support from the muslim community. Fashola has got no magic wand to solve such issues besides using force when it is neccessary, I was a witness to the resistance from the people of Surulere when Fashola and his demolition team went on a spree, I remember how one old lady was screaming and shouting who is fashole. .bla bla bla. .they eventually prevailed on him and he stopped. So stop your bullsheeet talk, people prgotested too when Fashola was busy demolishing structures in Lagos. why do you think he stopped? Compared to Abuja that carried more demolition exercise, Lagos has a catastrophic planning arrangement yet he had to stop. Abi u think say im get devine revelation to stop ni? He was stopped.

2 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Onlytruth(m): 4:30pm On Jul 28, 2012
rhymz: [size=16pt]I am yet to meet an Igbo muslim[/size], that nonsense seems to be a journalistic embelishment to give an impression of total support from the muslim community.

Me too my brother. Sometimes I start wondering where they get all these so called "Igbo muslims" from, because I have NEVER met ONE. sad
That said, I don't want to be seem as advancing ethnic agenda (not that I care much these days though, because there are those bent on twisting facts and tagging one no matter what one says or does undecided ).
The point is that this has nothing to do with ethnicity. It is about planning and development. The bridgehead is an eyesore!
Someone lied here that the mosque is the biggest in Onitsha, well it is NOT.

This is the time for the well known Anambra man's "stubbornness" to come to the front and stop this NEW culture (of always threatening violence) from taking hold on our land.
They should keep it in the North.
Peter Obi, your "stubbornness" is highly welcome now! cool

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Chyz2: 4:53pm On Jul 28, 2012
They are going to pull it down anyway. Let them try anything they know both MASSOB along with other Igbos there around will just finish them there. Let them pull that thing down and let Onitsha breathe. Its long overdue.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by ifihearam: 5:00pm On Jul 28, 2012
I have never seen an igbo man who is a muslim before oooo. Just finking aloud sha

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Rasheed Ladoja Secretly Refunded N500 Million Of Monies Stolen From Oyo Treasury / Appeal Court Upholds APC Primaries In Zamfara, Asks INEC To Accept Candidates / APC Mega Rally Osogbo!! APC Everywhere You Go. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.