Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest (36470 Views)

Lagos To Demolish 800 Houses For 4th Mainland Bridge / Troops Demolish Boko Haram Guard Post In Sambisa, Kill Insurgents [PHO / Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by rhymz(m): 5:57pm On Jul 28, 2012
ndu_chucks: As they say, "Perception Is Reality". In the Lagos case, the state government proper;y managed the demolition and most residents of Lagos including the muslims perceived that the demolition was the right thing to do.

In this case, the state government has mismanaged the demolition plan as well as the expectations of the muslims. The realities is that, muslims now perceive the planned demolition of their primary place of worship as an act of aggression.

This is the biggest mosque in Onitsha. Their are no more than 2 other places of worship in all of Onisha big enough to hold more than 50 worshipers shocked These state government decision makers should use wisdom to avert escalation of already tense adversarial relationships in the state.

@Onlytruth, as usual you display your foolishness. hapu moslems and their main place of worship. Nigeria is a secular society, olodo
Seriously, I feel personally offended that you will resort to insult a fellow Igbo brother in the mould of Onlytruth just to make a point that makes you look detribalize in the eyes of the people you are trying so hard to please. Which perception are you talking about? Between Igbos and Hausas who have shown more restraint in the light of the shenanigans going on in the north, are you a man at all let alone an Igbo person. Is the mosque the only structure that was demolished in that area? Why do you always try so hard to show the need that you are more upright and than every Igbo person on NL. I have noticed you are in the habit of arguing even against fellow Igbos who have done nothing but defend their rights and heritage without having to explain their existence to anyone like you are quick to do. You always feel the strong need to be fair to others even to the dentriment of your fellow Igbo coleagues. If you have any personal grudges against onlytruth, abeg no use am dey paint your comments in a way that you treat igbo interest on issues as inferior to others. In this case Peter Obi has done nothing wrong, his reasons are very valid, if their brothers in the North will use that as an excuse to commit act of voilence against Igbo people, it shows they do not deserve any of their mosque or religious element in any part of the east in the first place. If it was done in Lagos and heaven did not fall, no be our own go com different unless there is more to it for them than meet the eyes.

4 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by illiest(m): 5:58pm On Jul 28, 2012
ifihearam: I have never seen an igbo man who is a muslim before oooo. Just finking aloud sha

Dont mind the lie lie people. Igbo man go RATHER DO JUJU than become a muslim

4 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by solgee(m): 5:59pm On Jul 28, 2012
My honest opinion is this. If the location of the mosque is trully affecting the beautification process of the area then it has to go, but the government should provide an alternative site for them. However, it is very very bad for people who dont have correct information about the whole thing to start ranting rubbish about christians or Anambra government. The christians too knows how to kill. But are only acting in accordance to the word of God Almighty. Christians love their neighbours and the religion is of peace both in act and deed

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by blackbeau1(f): 6:00pm On Jul 28, 2012
We are not resisting the decision of the state government to beautify the Bridgehead but the plan to demolish our place of worship is more political and could result in breakdown of law and order because no Muslim would stand by and watch their place of worship demolished for no just cause

That sounds to me like a threat.dear Gov peter obi,pls level the mosque and if any moslem stands in the way,level him too.so,now their mouths are working.y haven't they led a protest March against their brothers back at home who are busy demolishing churches? Fools

3 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by y2kaustin(m): 6:00pm On Jul 28, 2012
Onlytruth:

This is why I personally think that Islam will find it VERY HARD to establish in Igboland. This mindset of always threatening violence in the face of slighest grievance.
Churches have been severally demolished in Nigeria in the North, West and East, and no Christian ever threatens violence because of it. I am now beginning to understand why some believe that Islam and peace are like oil and water that can NEVER mix. I don't fear for Onitsha or Anambra state because I know that my people are capable of dealing with any trouble maker.
I wish the governor God's speed as he demolishes everything in the way of beautification of the bridge head. cool
We Anambrarians are SOLIDLY behind you! cool cool cool
....I hope you have started calling ur con-men brodas up north to return home b4 ur clueless,daft governor takes action.Cos,u guy are about to be declared,Endangeared specie.

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by illiest(m): 6:01pm On Jul 28, 2012
ebamma: Allahu Akbar,if those onitsha infidels demolish our mosque,we will tell our bokoharam brothers to strike more churches.

i dey laugh if na war una no reach. In fact Gov of anambra should bring them all down. demolish all.wetin mosque dey find for vatican city ?

2 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by aitanofi(m): 6:03pm On Jul 28, 2012
With the comments so far seen, most nairalanders will do worst compare to boko haram guys if given d chance to operate.

4 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by ManofGod3(m): 6:04pm On Jul 28, 2012
Many churches have been demolishd in Kano, and other part of northern Nigeria without compesatn. Even those dat wnt 2 renovate theres were denied permision.
Why ar pple makin noise 4 d Demolision of a mosque.

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by rhymz(m): 6:04pm On Jul 28, 2012
revomind: Well, if the mosque stands in the way, it has to go. Its not that hard building a mosque and personally, I'm disappointed in the way the muslims are playing victim. Thinly veiled threats of violence will not do them any good in a state where majority are christians and already, arguably, silently detest them ( at least from some of the comments here so far).

You can choose to believe whatever you want to. However, igbo muslims exist. Not liking that fact wouldn't stop it from being what it is, a fact.
Do you know of any Igbo man person that is a muslim since you are so convinced that they exist? Am not talking about alja haram posing as Alhaji Uche and his many bigoted monikers, give us concrete proof of an Igbo muslim.

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by baslone: 6:08pm On Jul 28, 2012
ifihearam: I have never seen an igbo man who is a muslim before oooo. Just finking aloud sha
Same here! All I see-robbers ãήϑ ritualist!
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by asha80(m): 6:08pm On Jul 28, 2012
rhymz: Seriously, I feel personally offended that you will resort to insult a fellow Igbo brother in the mould of Onlytruth just to make a point that makes you look detribalize in the eyes of the people you are trying so hard to please. Which perception are you talking about? Between Igbos and Hausas who have shown more restraint in the light of the shenanigans going on in the north, are you a man at all let alone an Igbo person. Is the mosque the only structure that was demolished in that area? Why do you always try so hard to show the need that you are more upright and than every Igbo person on NL. I have noticed you are in the habit of arguing even against fellow Igbos who have done nothing but defend their rights and heritage without having to explain their existence to anyone like you are quick to do. You always feel the strong need to be fair to others even to the dentriment of your fellow Igbo coleagues. If you have any personal grudges against onlytruth, abeg no use am dey paint your comments in a way that you treat igbo interest on issues as inferior to others. In this case Peter Obi has done nothing wrong, his reasons are very valid, if their brothers in the North will use that as an excuse to commit act of voilence against Igbo people, it shows they do not deserve any of their mosque or religious element in any part of the east in the first place. If it was done in Lagos and heaven did not fall, no be our own go com different unless there is more to it for them than meet the eyes.
ndu chucks is a northerner.he has said before and he is not hiding it.forget the igbo sounding id.

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Dawdy(m): 6:08pm On Jul 28, 2012
If u saw an igbo Muslim, you people would kill him or what?

2 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by dragnet: 6:10pm On Jul 28, 2012
first the muslims should know that protests is not path of Islam and the prophets sunnah! . . . .you are enjoined to obey the authority as long as he hasnt commanded you to disobey Allah and his messenger.
If you dialogue with him and he refuses, below is what you've been ordered to do.
[Quran 4 vs 97] says ''Indeed, those whom the angels take [in death] while
wronging themselves - [the angels] will say, "In what
[condition] were you?" They will say, "We were oppressed in
the land." The angels will say, "Was not the earth of Allah
spacious [enough] for you to emigrate therein?" For those, their refuge is Hell - and evil it is as a destination.''

And [Quran 39 vs 10] says ''Say, "O My servants who have believed, fear your Lord. For
those who do good in this world is good, and the earth of
Allah is spacious. Indeed, the patient will be given their
reward without account." ''

as for those rejecting the fact that igbo muslims exist, keep decieving yourselves.

As for those linking this to the boko haram, wont a common man whose shop is sited for demolition threaten with violence ? physical or metaphysical(even if he isnt capable of executing it) talk more of you intending to demolish his place of worship ?

What you say or believe can't change what is or what will be.

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by asha80(m): 6:11pm On Jul 28, 2012
rhymz: Do you know of any Igbo man person that is a muslim since you are so convinced that they exist? Am not talking about alja haram posing as Alhaji Uche and his many bigoted monikers, give us concrete proof of an Igbo muslim.
guy they exist although quite rare.type 'dauda onyeaguocha'.he is a popular moslem in owerri
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by dragnet: 6:12pm On Jul 28, 2012
first the muslims should know that protests is not path of Islam and the prophets sunnah! . . . .you are enjoined to obey the authority as long as he hasnt commanded you to disobey Allah and his messenger.
If you dialogue with him and he refuses, below is what you've been ordered to do.
[Quran 4 vs 97] says ''Indeed, those whom the angels take [in death] while
wronging themselves - [the angels] will say, "In what
[condition] were you?" They will say, "We were oppressed in
the land." The angels will say, "Was not the earth of Allah
spacious [enough] for you to emigrate therein?" For those, their refuge is Hell - and evil it is as a destination.''

And [Quran 39 vs 10] says ''Say, "O My servants who have believed, fear your Lord. For
those who do good in this world is good, and the earth of
Allah is spacious. Indeed, the patient will be given their
reward without account." ''

as for those rejecting the fact that igbo muslims exist, keep decieving yourselves.

As for those linking this to the boko haram, wont a common man whose shop is sited for demolition threaten with violence ? physical or metaphysical(even if he isnt capable of executing it) talk more of you intending to demolish his place of worship ?

What you say or believe can't change what is or what will be.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by ozoebuka1(m): 6:13pm On Jul 28, 2012
unity in diversity indeed..hahahahaha. if dat building is blocking governments way. they should speed up the demolition abeg... the governor demolished a mans house when he went to his village and u guys are advicing him not to demolish dat mosque? peter obi is no nonsense man, he must demolish dat mosque weda una like am or not! -unity in diversity my foot!-
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by drealsirhid: 6:13pm On Jul 28, 2012
Antivirus92: only you (yoruba) muslims always see igbo muslims, we igbo people never see them ourselves. So i wonder if they only exist in ur houses

Please read this piece from a fellow Igbo muslim and Sheikh

‘Igbo Muslims are facing challenges’
Written by Isa Sa’idu, Kaduna  
Saturday, 21 July 2012 05:00
inShare
SocButtons plugin
Sheikh Shehu Uthman Anaga, formerly Sylvanus Anaga, is one of the leading Igbo Muslim   scholars from Ebonyi State. Sheikh Anaga says lack of adequate propagation and enlightenment are the main factors militating against the spraed of Islam in eastern part of Nigeria. Excerpts:

Tell us a little about yourself.
I was born in Afikpo in Ebonyi State. I became a Muslim in 1972, but   left the eastern region in 1973 in search of education. I didn’t return to   Igbo land on permanent basis until last year, 2011, but I am not staying in Abakaliki. Before I left this part of the country (north), I was the Provost of the Jama’atu College of Education,     Kaduna.

How old were you when you became a Muslim?

I was 13 years old when I converted to Islam. Islam has its way of taking somebody. I am aware that many people converted to Islam after they had listened to preachings,  but   my own case was different, because I saw it in a dream. At a time when I was sleeping, I heard a loud noise coming from outside my room. When I went out to see what was happening, I saw many people lined up. When those people saw me, they asked me to come. When I joined them, we all bowed in sujud (prostration).

After some days, I heard the same voice again in a dream. So, I went out, but this time around what I saw was white people who told me that I should join them without any waste of time. We made the same sujud. On the third occasion, when I went out, I saw some people performing ablution and I joined them. That was where I learnt how to perform ablution, because the people taught me.

When I told two very close friends of mine, Ignatius queried whether I want to become a Muslim while Hassan accepted to be a Muslim with me because of what I saw in my dream.

After some months, we went to Nsukka to meet one Ibrahim Idah to learn about the religion. He is also an Igbo man who converted to Islam before us, but he was not all that knowledgeable.  It was there that we met some Hausas. After asking us how we became Muslims, they administered the Kalamatu Shahada (testifying the oneness of Allah) for us.

In the middle of 1973, we went about telling people that we are Muslims, friend of mine and myself, Muhammad Ologo. In the course of that, we came across a pamphlet by an Islamic missionary in Ilorin. We wrote a letter to them and they asked us to meet them in Ife. That was how we started learning the Islamic jurisprudence. In 1974, I got admission to read Islamic Theology at the Islamic Education Trust, Sokoto. When I graduated in 1975, I started working with the JNI as a preacher. I did my Grade II at the Kaduna Teachers’ College but still working with the JNI. That was how I picked up in learning the Islamic Jurisprudence.

In 1984, I got admission at King Sa’ud University in Riyad, Saudi Arabia where I did my BA in Islamic Studies. When I came back, I was taken to the Jama’atu Institute for Arabic and Islamic Studies where I was given the duty of reviving it. I was made Vice Principal and later became the Principal. In 1996, it was upgraded to College of Education and I was made the Ag Provost. That was how I did my masters and now I am pursuing my PhD.

Were you with your parents when you became a Muslim, if so, what was their reaction?

Yes, I was with my mother because my father was already late then. One interesting thing was how I resisted all the pressures from the community, and because of that, my mother became a Muslim and died one year after. That was how I left my home to search for knowledge, because at that time I don’t know how to worship God. I just used to be making sujud while people gather around to be looking at me as a mad man.

What can you say are the challenges of Igbo Muslims?

In fact, I thank God; because when I went home recently, it was not like the time we converted to Islam where we were very few. Now, things are changing as we have many Igbos who are Muslims now. Another interesting thing is how some state governments in the east are now recognising the presence of Muslims in their states.

Despite all that,   Igbo Muslims are still considered as disgrace to their families. This is one major challenge. If state governments of the east intend to help Islam and Muslims, they are forced to back out, because of pressure from the church and the people. There was a time Muslims went to pay Sallah visit to Governor Martins Elechi and he promised to build an Islamic school for the in Afikpo. People, including the churches, rose up to say that he is trying to Islamise the state. This is to tell you how serious the challenge is.

Muslim Igbos are not allowed to work in the services of their various states.  In Ebonyi, I know of only four Muslims who are working with the state government. In fact, one of them converted to Islam when he was working. The perception is that if you are an Igbo man and you decide to become a Muslim, then you are not a normal human being.

In the schools, there is no provision for Islamic Studies. Every student is made to study Christian Religious Knowledge. Even in our universities, there are no departments for Islamic studies. I think it is only in Port-Harcourt that we have Department of Islamic Studies in the whole of south east and south south.

What efforts are you making to change the trend?

If people are use to something for many years, it would take time before you can bring change. The first effort we are making is bringing ourselves together. This would enable us to determine our present situation, the future of our children and everything about us as Muslims. We are not terrorists; we are not extremists; we are only Muslims who preferred Islam as a way of life. We are followers of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), that is why we are not fighting. We are gradually demanding for our rights. We are saying that it is not mandatory that every Igbo man must be a Christian. We know there are non-Christians among the Igbo who are not Muslims.  I want the Igbo people to borrow from the Yoruba who tolerate one another despite differences in religion, because everyone would be accountable for his own deed before God. We feel that this situation can change if we are given airtime on both the radio and television for people to hear what Islam is all about. Muslim  organisations like the JNI should propagate   Islam in the east through sponsoring preaching and publications in the form of books and pamphlets. This perception of Islam in the east came about largely due to inadequate publicity and awareness campaigns. Therefore, the JNI, northern emirs and other well-to-do Muslims should do more in this regard.

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by chimauga(m): 6:15pm On Jul 28, 2012
i lives in onitsha there is a central musque onitsha very big at center of main mkt, it occupies 100 by100 land which was renovated by state govt when it was destroyed by fire ,
the musque in question is a small apartment not up to size of 1 room , truely it is now at the center of the road since all the structure arround it have been distroyed . They are just trying to make it look big , just tell govt to relocate them ,..

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by illiest(m): 6:15pm On Jul 28, 2012
The mosque is just a building.You bombed a church and killed Christians in the north on Christmas day. and you are here talking about demolition of a mosque.Governor Obi please bring that mosque down make we see who wan talk sef . mccccheeewww

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by ozoebuka1(m): 6:17pm On Jul 28, 2012
rhymz: Seriously, I feel personally offended that you will resort to insult a fellow Igbo brother in the mould of Onlytruth just to make a point that makes you look detribalize in the eyes of the people you are trying so hard to please. Which perception are you talking about? Between Igbos and Hausas who have shown more restraint in the light of the shenanigans going on in the north, are you a man at all let alone an Igbo person. Is the mosque the only structure that was demolished in that area? Why do you always try so hard to show the need that you are more upright and than every Igbo person on NL. I have noticed you are in the habit of arguing even against fellow Igbos who have done nothing but defend their rights and heritage without having to explain their existence to anyone like you are quick to do. You always feel the strong need to be fair to others even to the dentriment of your fellow Igbo coleagues. If you have any personal grudges against onlytruth, abeg no use am dey paint your comments in a way that you treat igbo interest on issues as inferior to others. In this case Peter Obi has done nothing wrong, his reasons are very valid, if their brothers in the North will use that as an excuse to commit act of voilence against Igbo people, it shows they do not deserve any of their mosque or religious element in any part of the east in the first place. If it was done in Lagos and heaven did not fall, no be our own go com different unless there is more to it for them than meet the eyes.
you are welcome..sir!!!
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by rhymz(m): 6:19pm On Jul 28, 2012
asha 80: guy they exist although quite rare.type 'dauda onyeaguocha'.he is a popular moslem in owerri
hahahahah. . The name sounds like Fraud to me.
I have heard of Igbos who became muslim just to get by and gain advantage in places like the north and Arab countries. Are those stories realy true or they are just nominal Muslims who in practise are non-existent. . Abeg talk another thing nwa nna.
By the way, did you say Ndu-chucks is a northerner for real? Chineke ekwe la ihe ojo. . Hmmmm, why the need to use an Igbo sounding moniker, is he that insecure?

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Antivirus92(m): 6:19pm On Jul 28, 2012
asha 80: guy they exist although quite rare.type 'dauda onyeaguocha'.he is a popular moslem in owerri
he isn't a muslim. He is a camourflage. He is no more a muslim
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by ifechez: 6:20pm On Jul 28, 2012
There are Igbo muslims. My father's immediate younger brother is a muslim, as well as his oga(the man he serve).you will likely see more of them in nsukka and amaifeka in orlu.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by lauyanAbuja: 6:21pm On Jul 28, 2012
So sad that places of worship are destroyed on flimsy excuses: when wrath of God is visited on people they become confused & don't undstand why. By then is too late, as God's cursed descend on agents of Lucifer in disguise!!
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by mpumalanga: 6:22pm On Jul 28, 2012
y2kaustin: ....I hope you have started calling ur con-men brodas up north to return home b4 ur clueless,daft governor takes action.Cos,u guy are about to be declared,Endangeared specie.

That one na old trick and stop using the lives of igbos in the north
to bargain because it is no more working.

5 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by ikennaobi(m): 6:22pm On Jul 28, 2012
Antivirus92: The op is not serious. There are no igbo muslims. Why must the op lie against us by including "igbo muslims" which up to 98% doesn't exist.
Antivirus there are igbo muslims o....I mean FORCED igbo muslims in the north grin grin grin
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Chyz2: 6:22pm On Jul 28, 2012
y2kaustin: ....I hope you have started calling ur con-men brodas up north to return home b4 ur clueless,daft governor takes action.Cos,u guy are about to be declared,Endangeared specie.

I laugh u people got mouth pass. The mosque will get demolished immediately there is nothing any muslim can do about it.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Chyz2: 6:23pm On Jul 28, 2012
Dawdy: If u saw an igbo Muslim, you people would kill him or what?

If he joins the hausas,yes.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by sammirano: 6:24pm On Jul 28, 2012
There is no Igo muslim if there is any it will be an Igbo bastard from maybe hausa or yoruba

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by asha80(m): 6:26pm On Jul 28, 2012
lauyan Abuja: So sad that places of worship are destroyed on flimsy excuses: when wrath of God is visited on people they become confused & don't undstand why. By then is too late, as God's cursed descend on agents of Lucifer in disguise!!
i am sure you do know the place in question hence your comment.i am sure you will mind worshipping in the midst of a pig sty.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by mansmith(m): 6:29pm On Jul 28, 2012
Everything in Nigeria boils down to tribal or religious roots,can't we do the right things?

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by asha80(m): 6:29pm On Jul 28, 2012
Antivirus92: he isn't a muslim. He is a camourflage. He is no more a muslim
why do you say he is no more a moslem?i saw him on tv last two months with RO in govt house owerri still wearing that muslim outfit and his name identified as well

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Alamieyeseigha's Pardon: Bill Gates Cancels Trip To Nigeria / How Buhari Administration Should Treat APC Defectors – Shehu Sani / APC Cancels Rally For Jide Sanwo-Olu In Lagos, Coast Clears For Ambode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.