Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:27 PM

London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? (52600 Views)

‘I Was Better Than Maldini’ - Taribo West / 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony Pictures / London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 28, 2012
coogar:
that's exactly the point....slapping the tories on their own turf, absolutely brilliant!

Slapping the tories on their own turf, yet no labour MP was invited to the opening ceremony, huh? They need to take politics out of a sporting event, politicizing the opening ceremony was disgusting IMO - and it won't stop David Cameron from privatising the NHS.

your forefathers conquered theirs, they speak your language and yet you are the follower who happens to be a dog? the mind boggles.....

My ancestors are buried somewhere in the jungles of Africa... grin grin grin

Honestly, we need a new foreign policy devoid of the yankz - and yesterday should have been about competing with Beijing, and not the yankz.

the yanks would wish they have such history apart from the union/confederates nonsense history. millions of them troop in every year to see the buckingham palace every month!

What history? The industrial revolution, James Bond, and Beatles??

If they wanted to showcase more about British history and achievements - they should have included immortals of science like: Sir Isaac Newton, Stephen Hawkings, Peter Higgs etc.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jul 28, 2012
buzugee: just shooting the breeze my egyptology brother . HOTEP grin grin

Hotep, brother.. grin
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by BABE3: 5:35pm On Jul 28, 2012
]
coogar:

showcasing their pop culture and reminding the world that social networking has come to stay. what were you expecting? hundreds of kids running with dye colours and running helter-skelter? you saw the beatles, rowan atkinson, 007, harry porter and mary poppins....what else do you need to see?

It was a mess, Coogar. Public's opinion . . and that's all that matters.cheesy If it was the British olympics and only you guys were watching, the everlasting Queen and Kate Middleton could have done cartwheels for 3 hrs and it would have been acceptable. That dress rehearsal we all watched yesterday wasn't acceptable.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 28, 2012
afam4eva: Pls when will Aba or Oshogbo host the olympics?

Bwhahahaha..

We've a rich culture, and I believe we should be able to outdo Athens... cool
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by abbahsaint: 5:37pm On Jul 28, 2012
[quote author=Iyfe Namikaze]hey make i hear word jor! Do u knw hw many times i fell asleep last nite? 3 gud times. The only thing that woke me up was wen nija was parading..popsy woke me up to see it.
Omo this british no get culture oo! The only thing that made sense there was the rural display to the indusrial period.. And that was the END! Everyother thing that follows were disorganosed! Utter rubbish. They just showed up sum gurela daville,mary popins etc... So james bond is nw part of british culture? And a boy wit his ipad... O come on! They culd hav done better.
Go back and watch that china opening.

For somebody who fell asleep 3 times, you are not in a position to rate London's performance.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Afam4eva(m): 5:39pm On Jul 28, 2012
Great Britain just scored a very spectacular goal against Cameroon in the female football event.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by coogar: 5:40pm On Jul 28, 2012
buzugee: cant help were i was born. but i am not deluded enough, like yourself, to classify a pantomime show as a world class event. grin grin bruh you gotta admit, britain is finished. the people are stodgy pretentious bores living on past glory. the show yesterday encompassed this point.

awwww, come on - don't liken everyone else to your sourpuss status. the whole world enjoyed what they saw last night apart from few people with no lust in their lives. people like yourself that are belaboured with hunger, frustrations, obesity....the people who still reason like you do are tools who drive white vans and fuck prostitutes!

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by coogar: 5:44pm On Jul 28, 2012
BABE!:
]

It was a mess, Coogar. Public's opinion . . and that's all that matters.cheesy If it was the British olympics and only you guys were watching, the everlasting Queen and Kate Middleton could have done cartwheels for 3 hrs and it would have been acceptable. That dress rehearsal we all watched yesterday wasn't acceptable.

go on twitter and read what the sane world think about the ceremony! i never rated danny boyle as a world class director and i was a bit worried when i learnt he was the string puller but after what i saw last night, he should be knighted! that was the best movie he never made!

shymmex:
Slapping the tories on their own turf, yet no labour MP was invited to the opening ceremony, huh? They need to take politics out of a sporting event, politicizing the opening ceremony was disgusting IMO - and it won't stop David Cameron from privatising the NHS.

they did not politicise sports! they only showcased their history and tradition and up until yesterday, nhs was still government owned. so what do you expect? nobody cares about cameron. everyone knows if he goes to the poll tomorrow, he would lose by a landslide margin!

My ancestors are buried somewhere in the jungles of Africa... grin grin grin

then you have no chutzpah to criticise if your country cannot serve the same showmanship you saw on tv last night!

Honestly, we need a new foreign policy devoid of the yankz - and yesterday should have been about competing with Beijing, and not the yankz.

cameron is about to change the currency to the american dollar - the brits always tailgate the yanks!

What history? The industrial revolution, James Bond, and Beatles??

james bond is not history? a franchise that started in 60s isn't history?

If they wanted to showcase more about British history and achievements - they should have included immortals of science like: Sir Isaac Newton, Stephen Hawkings, Peter Higgs etc.

bringing the inventor of the world wide web to the ceremony is enough. sir isaac newton is dead, don't let madam tissauds deceive you!

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 28, 2012
LOL @ topic do you REALLY have to ask? grin

London's opening ceremony sucked b0lls. tongue
Aside from jamaica's entrance cool Mr.Beans' segment was the BEST part of the show.

[img]http://llwproductions.files./2012/07/mr-bean-2012-olympics-opening-ceremony-01-running-down-beach-chariots-of-fire.jpg[/img]

the nerve of any nation to think they can outdo china in anything pertaining to entertainment
is just....insulting! grin

*my bad for the huge pictures. tongue
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by sweetcocoa(f): 5:47pm On Jul 28, 2012
shymmex: You guys need to be objective.. Yeah, the opening ceremony was decent, but Beijing was far better..

I don't even know why some Nigerians have so much utter disgusting hatred for everything Chinese, that it has beclouded their sense of objectivity smh..

But why do some of you hate China? Is it because of the subconscious indoctrination by the western media, or what?

Don't blame many Nigerians for Supposedly hating china,if you pay a large sum of money to buy something thinking it is the best only to find out it was fake from china,you sef go vex grin
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 28, 2012
Beijing's was technological, London's was real!_

Was this the most science fiction and fantasy-filled Olympic opening ceremony yet? With director Danny Boyle at the helm, there were bound to be a few fantastical elements in his kickoff to the 2012 Olympic Games. Here are some of the strangest, most wondrous, and most fantasy-fuelled images to grace London's Olympic Stadium.
Yesterday's opening ceremony was a fun and often irreverent tribute to British history, culture, and technology that gave us a fantasy dreamscape in which children dodged Captain Hook and Voldemort; Mary Poppinses, jetpack-wearing acrobats, winged cyclists, and even the Queen took tothe skies; and an inadvertent tribute to Lord of the Rings had Twitter lighting up.
There were no Doctors on hand to light the Olympic flame, nor any Terry Gilliam paper puppets coconut-clopping through the stadium. I suppose there's only so much British pop culture one can squeeze into a single opening ceremony.

One of the key elements of Boyle's vision wasthe rustic English village, representing Britain's rural past. But the faux greenery had some folks thinking less history than Hobbits.Image from Getty.

The livestock did little to convince them otherwise.

But look, the Industrial Revolution has come toovertake the Shire! Those chimneys almostlook like towers —two towers.

Kenneth Branagh ushers in that Industrial Revolution with some choice quotes from Shakespeare'sThe Tempest while dressed as engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee, father of the World Wide Web, made a cameo appearance as well.

All that Lord of the Rings talk made this scene, with the "forging" of the Olympic Rings weirdly uncomfortable. Five rings for athletes fated to compete.

We may not have gotten a Doctor lighting the cauldron, but if you listen closely,you can hear a little TARDIS in this glam rock session. Perhaps all the 3D glasses were a nod to the Tenth Doctor as well. A lot of folks in the stadium were disappointed thatthere were no 3D effects to go with the glasses.

Blacklight, everybody!

Actors representing thechildren and staff of the Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital acted out a delightfully strange dream sequence, in which children's book characters came to life.Author JK Rowling readfromPeter Pan . Here, Captain Hook hands swing out at the patients.

A playing card guard fromAlice in Wonderland emerges from his hiding places.

And a towering Lord Voldemort menaces the crowd while Cruella de Vil and Dalmatians dance at his feet.

But the children have some storybook allies as well, such as these high-flying Mary Poppinses.

I realize this was probably supposed to represent the dreaming child, but every time I look at it, Isee a baby version of the temple carving fromPrometheus.

Mary Poppins wasn't the only one doing some flying in the stadium. Of course, these jetpack performers were actually being moved around by wires (unlike the opening of the 1984 Games, whichfeatured a rocket pack flight).

We had these magical winged bicycles soaring about as well.

Here they are with their wings nicely lit up.

Queen Elizabeth (or rather, a performer dressed as the Queen) got to play Bond girl, parachuting into the stadium alongside a faux Daniel Craig. The real Queen arrived alongside the real Daniel Craig.

Of course, it all culminated in the lighting of the rather lovely Olympic cauldron. Nice work, folks. Back pats all around.

And, of course, Mr. Bean!
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by buzugee(m): 5:49pm On Jul 28, 2012
coogar:

awwww, come on - don't liken everyone else to your sourpuss status. the whole world enjoyed what they saw last night apart from few people with no lust in their lives. people like yourself that are belaboured with hunger, frustrations, obesity....the people who still reason like you do are tools who drive white vans and fuck prostitutes!
thats the problem. simple minded people like yourself are driven by lusts and hence are easily bawled over by anything with a pulse that moves. as such you thought the show was amazingly spectacular. that opinion dont count for much coming from a simple minded lust driven cretin like yourself grin
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jul 28, 2012
OH!! and (their) Queen Elizabeth's expression through out the show was EPIC! grin

[img]http://www.guildofslackers.com/snews/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/queen.bmp[/img]
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by buzugee(m): 5:57pm On Jul 28, 2012
MsDarkSkin: OH!! and (their) Queen Elizabeth's expression through out the show was EPIC! grin

[img]http://www.guildofslackers.com/snews/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/queen.bmp[/img]
grin grin grin the queens expression says it all. she has seen better panto shows in glamorgan grin grin
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by coogar: 5:59pm On Jul 28, 2012
buzugee: thats the problem. simple minded people like yourself are driven by lusts and hence are easily bawled over by anything with a pulse that moves. as such you thought the show was amazingly spectacular. that opinion dont count for much coming from a simple minded lust driven cretin like yourself grin

you are weighed down by circumstantial celibacy - go and get laid and free your mind instead of sounding so stuck up and combustible! you lack any decent sense of humour and the worries of your life have screwed up your ability to discern premium quality from the cheap quality spectacle you are used to - you rectocranially inverted peasant!

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jul 28, 2012
buzugee: grin grin grin the queens expression says it all. she has seen better panto shows in glamorgan grin grin

LMAO!!! grin

Exactly. While watching it I looked up "Queen Elizabeth's bored expression Olympics" it is embarrassing yet hilarious
to see how many articles I found on her apparent lack of interest! grin

Case in point:

2012 Olympics: Queen Elizabeth bored during opening ceremonies, picks her nails

http://www.examiner.com/article/2012-olympics-queen-elizabeth-bored-during-opening-ceremonies-picks-her-nails

God save the queen from her boredom at the Opening Ceremony

http://now.msn.com/queen-elizabeth-looks-bored-at-opening-ceremony

lol I don't blame her it sucked. tongue

1 Like

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by buzugee(m): 6:04pm On Jul 28, 2012
coogar:

you are weighed down by circumstantial celibacy - go and get laid and free your mind instead of sounding so stuck up and combustible! you lack any decent sense of humour and the worries of your life have screwed up your ability to discern quality from the cheap quality spectacle you are used to - you rectocranially inverted peasant!
grin grin holy christ, someone pass me the dictionary.. grin grin sit your loquacious azz down somewhere and stop sounding as re-tarded as obahiagbon.

2 Likes

Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 28, 2012
buzugee: grin grin holy christ, someone pass me the dictionary.. grin grin sit your loquacious azz down somewhere and stop sounding as re-tarded as obiaghon.

grin
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by coogar: 6:08pm On Jul 28, 2012
buzugee: grin grin holy christ, someone pass me the dictionary.. grin grin sit your loquacious azz down somewhere and stop sounding as re-tarded as obahiagbon.

it's not my fault you went to a village school! go and get laid! wink
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jul 28, 2012
coogar:

it's not my fault you went to a village school! go and get laid! wink
That's Okay, English ninja!
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by cocoduck: 6:14pm On Jul 28, 2012
[quote author=abbahsaint][/quote]

no mr color lover. bond is naija culture. o boy google is your friend
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by tonididdy(m): 6:21pm On Jul 28, 2012
GEEX that london groove was messy,childish,outdated and boring...chai dint they watch china own...iya...SA even did better...which kind ceremony without FIFAbaby SHAKIRA...no hips nothing...''it would have being a lil-tight if the queen land with her parachute for stadium''...the only part i liked was the mister bean part...the rest RUBBISH
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Akposkool(m): 6:23pm On Jul 28, 2012
London did it better.only that mr.Bean entertainment kills beijing hands down
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Yeske2(m): 6:24pm On Jul 28, 2012
Aside mr Bean,every other thing was trash, Beijing takes the day.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by ismhab(m): 6:27pm On Jul 28, 2012
BEIJING FOREVER.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by jmoore(m): 6:33pm On Jul 28, 2012
Anyone who said London was not born before 2008 cool
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by utch(m): 6:40pm On Jul 28, 2012
A really boring show, at some point i was waiting to see wat Beckham was going to do, maybe he was to do a spectacle that would have served as the cherry on the cake. But... Guess will watch it again with my 3D internet TV wit photoshop! grin
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by muffins99(f): 6:45pm On Jul 28, 2012
I think in terms of creativity and content London has it but in terms of execution and showmanship, Beijing wins. I know for sure that what was shown last night was not the best of British...last night, the good bits were brilliant and the bad bits were awful. The Brits forgot this was a global show and failed to use the well known icons that people recognise as british. Also, the good things they remembered, they failed to showcase properly e.g. shakespeare, the suffragets (fought for women's right to vote), focus on health and welfare would have been better portrayed by the Redcross.... I like the tribute to the fallen soldiers around the world (love the whistling as this added a bit of poignancy) and the tribute to the dead (though I thought Leona Lewis would have sung the hymn better). The forging of the rings and the lighting of the cauldron were the best bits and justifiably so as these are the two parts that people focus on the most at any opening ceremony.

People need to remember that civilisations rise and fall...persia, rome, etc...so all this talk about Britain and US fading away is just reality...mind you I said fading not failing. Even China was once a great civilisation that was overtaken by the west and is only just picking itself back up. Countries rise and fall, which one is Nigeria doing How many of you critics can envisage a time when Nigeria can put up a show that's even half as good as last night's? in 2020? 2024? when? How many King/Emir's palaces will get airtime? which of the globally recognised great Nigerian sportsman will light the cauldron? Will we do it without any foreign consultant's help? ...Please look to your own country and your own households.

Oh, and I hope you guys realise that the queen did not really fly in that 'coper? If you did, you be real mumu cheesy

Can I also add that last night's opening ceremony, as imperfect as it was, was a people's opening ceremony and not a 'photoshopped one like Beijing. London used deaf kids, hospital staff and inpatients at the Great Ormond Street Hospital. Beijing would not let a cute healthy (not deaf and definitely not dumb) girl sing bbecause her teeth were crooked. They didn't even try to fix her teeth, they got another girl to mime the pre-recorded song!!!
I know which one I prefer... definitely London
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by cap28: 6:59pm On Jul 28, 2012
shymmex: Some of you're are still stuck on London's nuts.. undecided undecided

Even the Queen had to take a nap 10mins into that boring show. grin

Beijing!! cool

grin grin grin grin grin

i thought i was the only one that noticed that, not only that she couldnt even be bothered to stand when the british contingent marched past.

this has got to be one of the most boring and quite frankly ordinary opening ceremonies ive ever watched, how can you even compare it to the pomp and grandeur of the chinese, look at how the chinese showcased their culture and tradition compare that to the rubbish that was on show yesterday, i mean the queen jumping out of a helicopter - how s.tupid is that?
A right wing british mp even dubbed it multicultural crap!
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by MagnumPI: 7:05pm On Jul 28, 2012
Ayoo, shymexx! Where was your ugly a*s during the ceremony? Cleaning the toilets?
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 28, 2012
coogar:

that is because you did not understand what they were doing. after the towers came the nhs(gosh). rubbing it in the faces of america and others that health is wealth, health is free. then boyle was at his brilliant best when he played alll the tv programmes from the dark ages till now.......then the "abide with me" rendition at the end? what's not to like about the ceremony?

Oh please shut the hell up. That someone didn't fancy the British show doesn't imply they ''didn't understand it''. What rubbish is that? What is the great complex mystery behind what they were showing? For many people the ceremony was CRAP. Pure and simple. And most definitely inferior to the show put up by Beijing. Don't come in here patrionising anyone with any British nonsense. Many think it was crap. Deal with it.
Re: London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? by maximum007(m): 7:13pm On Jul 28, 2012
Beijing was definitely better. The London stuff was boring most of the time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

UCL Final: See All The Interesting Facts / Photoshopped Pictures Of Ahmed Musa Following His World Cup Heroics / Ekundayo Ebenezer Mawoyeka Dies Of Heart Attack During Match In Turkey (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.