Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,568 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria (4906 Views)

Ooni, Enitan Ogunwusi, Returns From The Forest With The Traditional Crown / Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / 10 most Beautiful Benin Artifacts(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 5:00pm On Jul 28, 2012
[b]"THE United States has returned 11 cultural artifacts to Nigeria.

Authorities said French customs officials tipped off the U.S. in April 2010 about a shipment headed to New York’s Kennedy Airport.

The 10 Nok statues and a carved tusk were seized from a Manhattan gallery owner, and an investigation determined they were bona fide antiquities. The artifacts are to be displayed in Nigeria’s national museum.

Nok statues are about 2,000 to 2,500 years old, among the oldest sculptures in West Africa. They were first unearthed in 1943 at a tin mine near the village of Nok in Plateau State.

Homeland Security investigators say two Nok statues and a carved ivory tusk were previously seized at Chicago O’Hare International Airport.

At a repatriation ceremony held at Homeland Security Investigationoffices on the west side of Manhattan on Thursday, Nigeria’s Consul General Habib Baba Habu, took legal possession of the terracotta sculptures, which he said had been stolen from the National Museum.

“It is the day that America has extended a gift of friendship that we will never forget,” he said.

On display for the ceremony were seven pieces of figurines, which resembled bits of cylindrical gingerbread men thanks to the orange hue of the terracotta. The two best preserved pieces, a head and torso, and a pair of legs standing on a pedestal, appeared to have once belonged to a single figure.

All are the work of the Nok culture, which existed within what would become Nigeria from more than 2,000 years ago, before disappearing in the early centuries of the first millennium.

Each of the six terracotta heads bore a distinctive face, which is typical of Nok sculpture, Habu said, explaining that the ancient artisans drew from individual people in normal life, depicting them riding horsesor donkeys, for example, or with farm tools.

Nok artisans were prolific, many similar figurines have left Nigeria, Habu said: “Many of them are at museums all over the world, some were taken out legally.”

Nigeria has laws that control the export of Nok pieces; however, the sculptures have flooded out of the country. In the 1990s, so many reached the European art market that the prices dropped sharply, according to a New York Times article in 2000."[/b]
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/55463-us-returns-11-cultural-artifacts-to-nigeria.html

1 Like

Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by Chanchit: 5:24pm On Jul 28, 2012
I jst hate stories that has no pix, like this one... We should @least see the 2500yrs old artifact nau...
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 5:29pm On Jul 28, 2012
Chanchit: I jst hate stories that has no pix, like this one... We should @least see the 2500yrs old artifact nau...

Sorry I will post the pix now, lol
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 5:30pm On Jul 28, 2012
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:14pm On Jul 28, 2012
wow thats a great victory! smiley

1 Like

Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 6:25pm On Jul 28, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
wow thats a great victory! smiley

I know lets hope the British Museum follows up and do the same but I doubt it and I wonder if it is worth it because some Nigerian will not take the importance of it seriously
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:33pm On Jul 28, 2012
anonymous6:

I know lets hope the British Museum follows up and do the same but I doubt it and I wonder if it is worth it because some Nigerian will not take the importance of it seriously

all the treasure is in the british museums. sometimes at weekends i just go there to stare at artefacts. some of them are extremely rare and powerful objects. .
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 6:40pm On Jul 28, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

all the treasure is in the british museums. sometimes at weekends i just go there to stare at artefacts. some of them are extremely rare and powerful objects. .

Really I though they had a significant amount but not all of it, WOW because I read some where and heard that majority of the artifacts from Nigeria are in England but a few are in Nigeria in some Museam, well at least for the IFE artifacts
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:42pm On Jul 28, 2012
anonymous6:

Really I though they had a significant amount but not all of it, WOW because I read some where and heard that majority of the artifacts from Nigeria are in England but a few are in Nigeria in some Museam, well at least for the IFE artifacts

obviously there are some in Nigeria. beut im talking about the objects taken outside Nigeria.
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 6:49pm On Jul 28, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

obviously there are some in Nigeria. beut im talking about the objects taken outside Nigeria.

ok, I understand
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 3:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
opinions?
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:44pm On Aug 14, 2012
btw thanx for this thread onila. i will be creating a new thread soon on this issue about real action to be taken by fellow Nigerians. cool
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 7:19pm On Aug 14, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
btw thanx for this thread onila. i will be creating a new thread soon on this issue about real action to be taken by fellow Nigerians. cool

Onila didn't do this thread, it was anonymous6
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:39pm On Aug 14, 2012
anonymous6:

Onila didn't do this thread, it was anonymous6

how st.upid of me. im sorry i think i was thinking about the thread i made in reply to onila's at that time. i was thinking of reviving it. tongue
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 8:24pm On Aug 14, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

how st.upid of me. im sorry i think i was thinking about the thread i made in reply to onila's at that time. i was thinking of reviving it. tongue

ok, lol
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 1:12pm On Aug 19, 2012
Nok Artifacts
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 5:44pm On Aug 22, 2012
Do you think Africans should buy back their artifacts? https://www.nairaland.com/1023211/hear-african-nairalanders-save-cultures#11900313
Re: America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria by nlPoster: 7:06pm On Mar 07, 2020
Not a bad idea.

(1) (Reply)

8 Most Consumed And Popular Food In Nigeria. / European Languages Are Killing African Languages / Tongue Piercing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.