Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test (37929 Views)

Job Vacancy At Job Link Recruitment Agency Ikeja. / How To Answer “why Are You Interested In This Position?” At Job Interviews / How Do I Boost My Self-Confidence At Job Interviews? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by hardbody: 3:21pm On Jul 30, 2012
[quote author=acidtalk]It is so sad how our educational system has deteriorated. A friend invited me to come and help him with the test given to applicants for various positions in his company.
The whole vacant positions were for B.Sc Holders in different fields like Engineering, Business Administration, Economics, Geology and so many others.

A total of 67 people were present for the test and believe it or not, only 3 people actually knew the difference between the below words.

Thought - Taught
Mood - Mode
Sight - Site
Course - Curse
Suit - Suite
Fill - Feel
Hear - Ear
Browse - Surf
Rain - Reign

More than Half of them kept on typing in short forms thinking they were chatting with their Blackberry or Facebook friends.

How bad will things like this keep happening amongst our so called educated youths and graduates especially?
[/quote

I find this very difficult to believe. My small cousin that just finished her JSS will almost provide you the etymology of nearly each of those words, how do u then mean university graduates couldn't?

I think you have just overblown this beyond proportions abeg.

Haba. It cannot be that bad.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 3:25pm On Jul 30, 2012
[quote author=hardbody][/quote]

It was worse than bad. it was terrible.

I can do same test on nairaland for a N60,000/month salary right now.
if half of them get it, i will pay a fine of N100,000
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by yungt(m): 3:45pm On Jul 30, 2012
Dis same issue occured in lagos last yr,wer a graduate went 4 an interview durin d last yr recruit of d NPF. Now,since a graduate cnnt differentiate btw "thought n taught","fill n feel","rain n reign" etc,den u word "educated illetrate" shuld naw b used 4 him/her...habaa
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by akokhia: 4:20pm On Jul 30, 2012
Is possible but it might be out of negligence
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by thefunclubenterprise(m): 5:11pm On Jul 30, 2012
tfashina: i dont blame those people because what a sheet is that why given a them what is not belonging to them to do bec why someone study computer or English in school is asking to answer question on what is not belonging to them.

Jesus!!!

Well played bros!
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 5:40pm On Jul 30, 2012
the funclub enterprise:

Jesus!!!

Well played bros!

you sef fear

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by logica(m): 5:46pm On Jul 30, 2012
all4naija: Why pedaling rumor? The problem is that American English is different the British English mostly on usages. And what you are trying to emphasize on in your comment is based on those individuals who speak/use the informal English. However, 'I would of' is never to be used in any conversation within the nation. While you are trying to insinuate something that is prevalent with the online forum and general non-standard chat to prove your point there is need for you to know that it only makes you look ridiculous and prove you wrong.

I would advise you to stop spreading false information.
Ignorant f00l. Even within the context of American English, "I would of" is wrong. Are you to tell me what I know about people I lived with for 6 years? Both online and off, it is obvious the standard of education in America has fallen.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 5:53pm On Jul 30, 2012
logica: Ignorant f00l. Even within the context of American English, "I would of" is wrong. Are you to tell me what I know about people I lived with for 6 years? Both online and off, it is obvious the standard of education in America has fallen.

The standard of America english or the nuts holding some people's brains?
Don't let Obama sue you for wrong allegation oh!
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by datola: 6:01pm On Jul 30, 2012
What I do not understand is why people are fighting over another man's language. There is nothing noble in being able to speak good grammar when it's not your local language. Learn from the Chines, Koreans and even Indians.

One Nigerian lady who studied language was interviewed. She did well all through. The last question was asked: "Your performance was excellent! Can we conclude now that you are a good english teacher?" She responded: "Yes". And, she failed the interview with that last question. Reason: An english teacher is a british teacher or a briton who teaches English langauge. She should have answered: "I am a good english language teacher.

So, being able to speak good grammar is not a measure of intelligence. In fact most of the good guys I know, especially in the telecomms would equally fail the test. And these guys are gurus, better than most of the techy guys from Indians and Europe.

It is high time we studied in our local language, viz: "pigeon", etc.

Lets' stop demeaning ourselves by refering to our language as vernacular.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by logica(m): 6:03pm On Jul 30, 2012
2sexy: and sometime use "then" in place of "than"
Thank you! You read sentences and phrases like "I am finer then you" (both online and offline for those who would come talk crap).
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Sirmikky1(m): 6:04pm On Jul 30, 2012
the funclub enterprise:

Jesus!!!

Well played bros!

The guy is just having fun....check out his name. wink
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by logica(m): 6:06pm On Jul 30, 2012
acidtalk:

The standard of America english or the nuts holding some people's brains?
Don't let Obama sue you for wrong allegation oh!
I said the standard of American education. Not American English. You will merely see the symptoms of this rot in their educational system in their English.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by IbroSaunks(m): 6:43pm On Jul 30, 2012
gzib: @Brand new- there days or "these days"
resoursefulness or resourcefulness.
@Leebec and ALL- Pigeon English or you mean to say "Pidgin English" and for your information, there is nothing like pidgin English. It is either "Pidgin grammar" or just "Pidgin" or you can use vernacular. English is English! No pidgin or Vernacular English.
homie check a dictionary!
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 30, 2012
That one is hard na..There were three people in front of me when they were asked the full meaning of PHCN, and the guys says he has never heard of it, the woman then asked, have you ever left the country before, and he said NO...No jokes...
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by stupor(m): 7:29pm On Jul 30, 2012
maclatunji: Front page kind of thread. I don't doubt you OP. People just want certificates that they cannot defend.

I wonder how many graduates can actually spell "certificate".

Somebody here talked about "Pigeon" and "English". #GoodLord!

Let's put it right here !

Which is actually correct,PIDGIN OR PIGEON ENGLISH.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by mykhel995: 7:34pm On Jul 30, 2012
Spoken English is not a function of university education. Most university students, I believe, leave a university with almost the same mastery of english language they entered the university with. This is because the caste system in universities pits similar people together. In these groups, a channel of communication will develop (yoruba, pidgin, 'pigeon', etc.) So, in these groups, where most communication (and inadvertently learning) occurs, no improvement comes about. *drops mic*

1 Like

Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by mykhel995: 7:36pm On Jul 30, 2012
Spoken English is not a function of university education. Most university students, I believe, leave a university with almost the same mastery of english language they entered the university with. This is because the caste system in universities pits similar people together. In these groups, a channel of communication will develop (yoruba, pidgin, 'pigeon', etc.) So, in these groups, where most communication (and inadvertently learning) occurs, no improvement comes about.
So, the people who from their pre-university days (home, primary and secondary schools) spoke good english find like minded people and improve and vice versa.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by coalcoal1(m): 8:13pm On Jul 30, 2012
It has been quite interesting reading the comments here.
The only thing I see here based on the discussions is the visible difference between the dull and the bright people.
Very insightful indeed
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by stupor(m): 8:27pm On Jul 30, 2012
obo_man: I disagree with the OP on this matter. I used to live with a very clever P.H.D student, who was dyslexic. He is white European, and at the time was working on viruses and how they mutate.

He struggles to read, yet he got his P.H.D at just 27. Now, he is working for a Pharmaceutical firm in America.

I'm sure if the OP had given him that 'primary school' test, he might as well struggled, but should that kind of test be a prerequisite for a Job in Geology, Engineering, e.t.c?

There are many great minds that struggle with words and numbers, but should those basic and simple questions define their intellectual ability to do certain jobs?

I thINK NOT.

This is the kind of post I was looking through for.
This is higher education in superlative quality.
It shunned down completely myopic knowledge of some posters here including the originator.

You see ! Let me share somethings ! I don't want to feel like am showing off,but the truth is when I was in school way back,I found it very hard to share ideas in class,listen to some lecturers poor teaching skills,so,most times my friends would always trace my movements to the school library where I did most of my self coaching without any lecturer's cheap and sometimes confusing lectures and indeed,I never had a single 'carry-over'.

Nigerian Employers including School Authorities still lack all these potentials for differentiating innate skills and abilities from probable intelligence and disabilities.
Issues such as phobia and medical impropriety most times are often taken as total mischief in Nigerian and Employment system and no NGO or government agency still cannot intervene to help out.

Your spelling skills or mathematical inability doesn't mean you have no potentials to excel and be outstanding is just that most times to the employers and the lecturers are feeble grounded and lack the all encompassing qualities.

Dyslexia and so many other phobia are health grounds that could mar candidates quality performance both in sports and in class.

Ensure you supply candidates with calculators when you invite candidates for written tests like Mathematics even if if's a One plus one exam,it doesn't follow,you are only doing yourself and the candidate a great deal,by respecting health orders and keeping the best staff for yourself.

I would have shared more eye-opening experiences but am a little bit tired am also writing from a phone.

Never judge graduates on things as a test and if you must do,provide all necessary apparatus needed to do a better examining,sometimes,you could just be helping someone who has some of these phobia and health issues,because a lot,don't like sharing it or letting others know about them.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Ninapha(f): 8:44pm On Jul 30, 2012
tfashina: i dont blame those people because what a sheet is that why given a them what is not belonging to them to do bec why someone study computer or English in school is asking to answer question on what is not belonging to them.
Ol'boy, u don finish d matter. WHAT A 'SHEET' IS THAT WHY GIVING A THEM WHAT IS NOT BELONG TO THEM. OP pls answer him. I DODGE AM ABEG.cheesycheesy
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by tolukatey(f): 10:19pm On Jul 30, 2012
Nemesis caught up wit dem, pls, tell Ur fwend 2 tell his fada dat e's sure some1 is perfectly fit 4 d job and dats me. I promise I won't put nairalanders 2 shame. We'l all pari wt my first salary after paying ma tithe oo 4rm Ur fwends fada's coy.lol. Ma email is tolukatey@yahoo.com
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Abbey2sam(m): 11:42pm On Jul 30, 2012
But seriously am not tryin to brag, i know everytin the guy listed
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by ExcelDec(m): 2:29am On Jul 31, 2012
Lebee4: funny somehow.
Talking about the shorthand thing, its high time job seekers started avoiding it cos it corrupt writing just like pigeon English.

PIGEON ENGLISH ~ INYF
< ItsNotYourFault>
Half Baked Graduate....
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by SisiKill1: 2:36am On Jul 31, 2012
Vunniest tread efa!!!!! cheesy cheesy

Abbey2sam: But seriously am not tryin to brag, i know everytin the guy listed

You jebi. . .they said something is primary school level and you are happy to say you know everything.

Except of course you are in Nursery school right now, then we can say you are ahead of the curve.

Hahaha! Don't mind me. . . I'm messing with ya. cheesy cheesy

Well done jare, considering only 3 out of 64 passed. . .I have to say, you done good. kiss

By the way, the everytin might make some people doubt you but no me!!

I am behind 110 pacint!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by acidtalk: 4:36am On Jul 31, 2012
^^^
Sill_kill, you wicked oh!
See as you dey use style yab our effico.
Encourage me now. Afterall it is not easy.
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 31, 2012
Lol,i wonder why the likes of maclatunji,jarus,sexkills,idowuogbo,billyonaire,and the rest jobless people didnt apply for the job.since they comment on every thread,with "big grammar"it shows how jobless they are
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Emylexray(m): 7:10am On Jul 31, 2012
mawojuuche:

not only 'pigeon english' na 'chicken english'. Birds of d same feather like u.
oga...it is not birds of the same feather but "birds of a feather".
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Heymus(m): 7:35am On Jul 31, 2012
obo_man: If I'm in a position to interview candidates, creativity and problem-solving skills would be what I will be looking for, rather than their ability to spell.

Problem-solving skills make businesses thrive, creativity takes businesses to the next level.

Checking candidates' mastery of words is sometimes irrelevant in businesses and companies.
you are very right bro. And i think this is one of reason we are not moving forward in the part of the world.(the country that is more interesting in your spoken English rather than your creativity) continent like Asia will never depend on spoken English still life is very easier for them through their creativities. It is high time for us to wise up in Afica that your spoken English as nothing to do with Engineering or other technical skills
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by Ignatio(m): 7:40am On Jul 31, 2012
How do someone that can't differentiate those words carry out the exact instructions when spoken or written?
Re: Graduates Fail Primary School Questions At Job Test by logica(m): 8:38am On Jul 31, 2012
stupor: Dyslexia and so many other phobia are health grounds
LOL. Stupor indeed. So dyslexia is responsible for 95.31% of supposed tertiary education level candidates not able to pass primary school level test? Wow, Nigeria we have a dyslexia epidemic! NOT!

The epidemic we have is definitely not dyslexia. People who are honest with themselves know what epidemic we have in the educational sector. Even in this sample size, you will find that just one or 2 candidates are truly dyslexic. (It is said that 10% of the population is dyslexic, and 4% severely so. I will definitely say if a graduate of a tertiary school cannot a pass primary school level test, then he is severely dyslexic - this percentage in a sample of 64 comes to approximately 2/3.)

But then, how did they manage to finish from the tertiary institution? I definitely know dyslexic people will flunk out of school (except for special schools that cater to their needs). In fact, they wouldn't even have successfully finished from secondary school.

Finally, I have known truly intelligent people. And none of them would've scored anything less than 100% in this primary school level test. What does that tell you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lagos Civil Service Commission Recruitment 2012 / World Bank Is Currently Recruiting Young Nigerians (see Link And Apply) / My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.