Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,901 members, 7,806,630 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:24 PM

Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! (8965 Views)

Black American Relocating To Nigeria / American Wants To Build Life In Uk Virtually At First / When I Leave, Am No Longer A Naija Boy But A Black American (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Kairoseki77: 3:02am On Jul 29, 2012
Hey Nairaland!

This is my first post, so I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in, but I am interested in moving to Naija and want some advice.

What is the general feeling towards African Americans in Nigeria? In some of the older threads on this forum people were saying that the "south south" region and the south west would welcome me, but that I would face discrimination and be mocked elsewhere. Is this true? Why exactly?

Also, being light skinned (I am about the same complexion as Obama) will I be treated differently? I know there are many light skinned people in Nigeria, but will I stand out in a crowd? Will people automatically assume I'm a foreigner based on appearance?

Also, what is the situation like in the north? I gather Boko Haram hates western education, and being a western educated person I doubt they'd like me, but what about the average northerner? How will they react?

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time out respond to this thread. I have some more questions, but I'll wait for some responses to come in before I ask anything else.

Thanks.

PS - I am a 21 year old man.
PPS - Can I smack any Nigerian that calls me Oyimbo (white), or is that rude? tongue
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by REMMEI(m): 4:45am On Jul 29, 2012
Welcome home bro..you are going to be warmly welcomed..we don't discriminate bro..forget about all the e-tribalism that you've come across on here..but mind you,you just have to be careful.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by werepeLeri: 7:36am On Jul 29, 2012
REMMEI: Welcome home bro..you are going to be warmly welcomed..we don't discriminate bro..forget about all the e-tribalism that you've come across on here..but mind you,you just have to be careful.

How true is the bolded?
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by semid4lyfe(m): 10:00am On Jul 29, 2012
QUESTIONS:

1. You're moving to Naija to live or just to visit for a short while?

2. Why are you moving here?

Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Kairoseki77: 12:11pm On Jul 29, 2012
semid4lyfe: QUESTIONS:

1. You're moving to Naija to live or just to visit for a short while?

2. Why are you moving here?

1. I am planning on visiting Naija for two months this fall. I am definitely moving to Africa within a year. Nigeria is my first choice, but if it doesn't work out I am also looking into Ghana, Kenya, and South Africa.

2. I want to move to Africa (let's start here) because I REALLY want to live in a black majority area. I want to build a life in a black majority country and I want my future kids to grow up in a black majority country.

I want to move to Nigeria for a lot of reasons. Several close family friends are from Nigeria, you guys have the largest population in Africa, an enormous economy that is getting bigger every year, a healthy mix of cultures and religions, beautiful land, great weather, beautiful women, and strong national pride. In 20 years Nigeria is going to be the giant of Africa and the richest black nation in the world. I'm sure it will be an exciting time in history, and a great time to be in Naija. Also, I love that most of the population is under 30.

Anyway, I am a successful entrepreneur here in NYC. I have been starting small businesses since before I can remember, and have had employees since high school. I want to move to Nigeria to build businesses and to invest. Maybe open up a factory to cut down on imports.

2 Likes

Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Kairoseki77: 12:11pm On Jul 29, 2012
Accidental double post...
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by nwabobo: 12:21pm On Jul 29, 2012
Are you African-American or Nigerian-American? Your grammatical construction is pure Naija bruv. Just my observation.

2 Likes

Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Kairoseki77: 12:26pm On Jul 29, 2012
nwabobo: Are you African-American or Nigerian-American? Your grammatical construction is pure Naija bruv. Just my observation.

I'm African-American.
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Wasbayd: 2:04pm On Jul 29, 2012
Proceed on your plan, you will be fine here. I will advice you to settle in a less popular city like Osogbo, Ife, Ila Orangun, Ilesha or Ikirun ( all in Osun State), Ibadan, Ogbomoso, oyo town or Iseyin ( all in Oyo State), Ondo town (Ondo state). Any place you choose to stay among the listed places will quarantee your peaceful stay in Nigeria and any investment you make in these places will be highly appreciated and profitably rewarded.

3 Likes

Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Kairoseki77: 3:06am On Jul 30, 2012
[url][/url] v
REMMEI: Welcome home bro..you are going to be warmly welcomed..we don't discriminate bro..forget about all the e-tribalism that you've come across on here..but mind you,you just have to be careful.

Thanks!
I'm sure everything will be fine.
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Nobody: 10:38am On Jul 30, 2012
@michaeljones
you are welcome to great land,good and smart people..
You will not be discriminated here in Naija because there so many saved places where you can get all whats you wants,basically south-west like Oyo state,Lagos state,Osun state,ondo state and also kwara state(central Nig) I advised you to choose from these states..WASBAYD has said it all. There is nothing you can't get from all stated states and you will be okay during your stay. With reagards to your complexion,that's a mere thing because there re many light skinned colour Nig citizen than that of Obama. Even you might not be recognise as a foreigner and everybdy ought to behave well in foreign land,so becareful. All the best..
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by DisGuy: 11:18am On Jul 30, 2012
Sikiru you too dey form haba

Oops wrong thread cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by metro10: 12:37pm On Jul 30, 2012
@Ops, you are welcome to Naija. I will be frank with you as possible. Nigeria is good for business, a known fact, due to the population size. We are known to be a consuming nation. In respect to location, pls stay in Lagos or abuja. Why Lagos, becos no one gives a hood about where you come from, get a place in any of this suburbs in lagos: victoria island, ikeja, lekki or vgc....you are guaranteed no hassle from any one. Lagos is also safe from kidnap in the south east: port harcourt, enugu, onitsha, aba e.t.c
there are no boko haram boys in lagos too. Lagos is the commercial hub of the nation. If your goods dont sell in lagos, you are out. Lagos has abt 18million people...work the maths.
With that said, to live in lagos, you must have th naija survival spirit, which i am sorry to say, by virtue of luxury and background as an african american, you dont have. Let me be more emphatic. To live in lagos, you must be able to live without the comfort of electricity, good roads...thus reducing the lifespan of ur vehicle. U hav to learn to stay in traffick for hours, i mean hours like 3 to 5 hours within lagos alone...most mornings and evenings. Poor policing and judicial system. Bad politicians and bribes in all sectors. You have to be able to say no most times, with a shout as the occassion demands. Touts are avery where to pirate your products....side by side in the malls and shops and u cant do shit. One nna guy will givi you an exact copy of ur product made in his backyard and u cant do jack. A nigerian spirit is what u need. A simple question for u. Can u stay in the rain and work on ur broken vehicle due to bad roads, in a dirty road? Even the almighty owner of virgin group, branson was driven from naija due to bad politicians.
South africa is also good, they dont our population size but its a better economy and infrastructure. I was there and beautiful for business, but naija has a greater return on investment. We run a cashy economy unlike the south africans. SA is very inviting. U wont wont to leave. Kenya is also good. Nairobi, mombasa, nakuru, eldoret and other cities are good for business. Was there and the economy is very friendly to foreign investors. Lots of asians and foreigners also.
Ghana is calm and very secured, the most secured of all african countries for now, i think. As a foreigner, u cant start retail business there. It must be a mega business....wholesale or manufacturing/production. They are sending foreigners away wit stringe economic policies. You will pay a higher tax than the citizens.
Above all, naija is the bomb....yeah....you must have nigerian assistant to broker deals when its difficult for you to appear. Have a great stay in naija.
My small piece of mind.

4 Likes

Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by lillaowow(m): 1:19pm On Jul 30, 2012
Wasbayd: Proceed on your plan, you will be fine here. I will advice you to settle in a less popular city like Osogbo, Ife, Ila Orangun, Ilesha or Ikirun ( all in Osun State), Ibadan, Ogbomoso, oyo town or Iseyin ( all in Oyo State), Ondo town (Ondo state). Any place you choose to stay among the listed places will quarantee your peaceful stay in Nigeria and any investment you make in these places will be highly appreciated and profitably rewarded.

business wise, i'd say you shld try Lagos and/or Ibadan (oyo state).
If you want somewhere free from stress and 18-20 hours (sometimes 24hrs) electricity without the noise from Generators, Try osogbo (osun state)

1 Like

Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Rossikk(m): 3:11pm On Jul 30, 2012
metro10 said

To live in lagos, you must be able to live without the comfort of electricity, good roads...thus reducing the lifespan of ur vehicle.

Dude, if you're going to describe Naija to a foreigner, do so accurately or don't do so at all. In Lagos he does NOT have to ''live without the comfort of electricity''. Quite apart from the fact that the power situation is improving by the day, he also has the easily affordable option of power backup by way of a generator, and can literally live his entire life without worrying about electricity. Even many of the underclass in Lagos can afford to run a gen, so he should have no problems. As for roads, Lagos roads are no worse than those of most major African cities. And I can't remember when last I spent ''3-5 hours'' in traffic like you claimed. That must have been several years ago before the improvements and changes effected by the Tinubu govt and the present Fashola administration.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by metro10: 4:13pm On Jul 30, 2012
Rossikk: metro10 said

Dude, if you're going to describe Naija to a foreigner, do so accurately or don't do so at all. In Lagos he does NOT have to ''live without the comfort of electricity''. Quite apart from the fact that the power situation is improving by the day, he also has the easily affordable option of power backup by way of a generator, and can literally live his entire life without worrying about electricity. Even many of the underclass in Lagos can afford to run a gen, so he should have no problems. As for roads, Lagos roads are no worse than those of most major African cities. And I can't remember when last I spent ''3-5 hours'' in traffic like you claimed. That must have been several years ago before the improvements and changes effected by the Tinubu govt and the present Fashola administration.

Rossikk, i am just bn blunt....what would you prefer...to come here and ran back with woeful tales like that of Virgin Branson.....
Its true that there is an alternative of generator, but you must understand that this guy is not conversant with generator usage. The running cost is on the high side.In respect to traffic, pls, come stay on the mainland and work in the island like some of us and you would attestate to what i am saying. It funny that by 9pm, i am still in one traffic in t he island trying to come home after work and have a lot to go tru before i get down to festac where i live. Be real.

1 Like

Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Wasbayd: 5:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
Wasbayd: Proceed on your plan, you will be fine here. I will advice you to settle in a less popular city like Osogbo, Ife, Ila Orangun, Ilesha or Ikirun ( all in Osun State), Ibadan, Ogbomoso, oyo town or Iseyin ( all in Oyo State), Ondo town (Ondo state). Any place you choose to stay among the listed places will quarantee your peaceful stay in Nigeria and any investment you make in these places will be highly appreciated and profitably rewarded.

If you realy need business with full peace of mind, then take to this. I'm not saying lagos, Abuja, portharcot and the likes of them are not booming but you need to consider a lot of factors before setting down in any of them. Let me give you a clue with the hope that some dudes wouldn't start their usual insults and irrelevant scams alerts warnings. I recently engage in a palm oil business at a medium scale in few of the states I mentioned and I can tell I've realised in just few period of start far more profit than what my business in lagos will earn me in years of dealings. More importantly, I enjoy perfect peace of mind, while I run my lagos biz alongside.
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by joaoche(f): 7:38pm On Jul 30, 2012
shocked welcome eo naija, but dude your writing grammer is totally naija; so you should have no problem blending in!!!!
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by semid4lyfe(m): 11:13am On Aug 01, 2012
Michaeljones36:

1. I am planning on visiting Naija for two months this fall. I am definitely moving to Africa within a year. Nigeria is my first choice, but if it doesn't work out I am also looking into Ghana, Kenya, and South Africa.

2. I want to move to Africa (let's start here) because I REALLY want to live in a black majority area. I want to build a life in a black majority country and I want my future kids to grow up in a black majority country.

I want to move to Nigeria for a lot of reasons. Several close family friends are from Nigeria, you guys have the largest population in Africa, an enormous economy that is getting bigger every year, a healthy mix of cultures and religions, beautiful land, great weather, beautiful women, and strong national pride. In 20 years Nigeria is going to be the giant of Africa and the richest black nation in the world. I'm sure it will be an exciting time in history, and a great time to be in Naija. Also, I love that most of the population is under 30.

Anyway, I am a successful entrepreneur here in NYC. I have been starting small businesses since before I can remember, and have had employees since high school. I want to move to Nigeria to build businesses and to invest. Maybe open up a factory to cut down on imports.

Thought your motivation was a babe (as in a Nigerian Fiancee) who insisted she wouldn't live in the US and would only commit to you if you were going to settle & live in Nigeria
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Kairoseki77: 8:23pm On Aug 02, 2012
semid4lyfe:

Thought your motivation was a babe (as in a Nigerian Fiancee) who insisted she wouldn't live in the US and would only commit to you if you were going to settle & live in Nigeria

LOL! Not yet, but maybe in the future.

Thanks for all the replies, I have some things to think about now.

Those Lagos problems sound like the usual big city problems. Los Angeles is known for terrible traffic, it might take 3 hours to get from Hollywood to Venice on a good day. Also, we have a saying in New York, "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere".

The electricity and bribes are not a problem here though, but I'm sure I'll adapt.

Right now, I am planning a month long trip to Naija. Any advice on where I should go? I will be in Naija from Nov 1st to the 30th.
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Wasbayd: 12:50pm On Aug 03, 2012
Michaeljones36:

LOL! Not yet, but maybe in the future.

Thanks for all the replies, I have some things to think about now.

Those Lagos problems sound like the usual big city problems. Los Angeles is known for terrible traffic, it might take 3 hours to get from Hollywood to Venice on a good day. Also, we have a saying in New York, "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere".

The electricity and bribes are not a problem here though, but I'm sure I'll adapt.

Right now, I am planning a month long trip to Naija. Any advice on where I should go? I will be in Naija from Nov 1st to the 30th.

Seems like you need to visit the Nigerian embassy again for counselling. Visitors can still survive in Kano and Maiduguri, maybe that's the place u need someone here to tell you to go. To be frank with you, all the options you have received so far are all good, so make your choice and stop bothering yourself and people here unnecesarily.
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 03, 2012
@justWise,plz why did you hidden my post?
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by justwise(m): 8:02pm On Aug 03, 2012
Demaejy: @justWise,plz why did you hidden my post?
You quoted that individual with ant-Nigerian view
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Kairoseki77: 12:05am On Aug 04, 2012
Wasbayd:

Seems like you need to visit the Nigerian embassy again for counselling. Visitors can still survive in Kano and Maiduguri, maybe that's the place u need someone here to tell you to go. To be frank with you, all the options you have received so far are all good, so make your choice and stop bothering yourself and people here unnecesarily.

What's your problem??

I don't even think you read my posts because your reply doesn't make any sense. I've never been to the Nigerian embassy, and I was asking what things I should do and where I should go while I'm in Nigeria this November.

If you can't read, don't waste your time writing posts unnecessarily.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the positive responses so far. Is the Calabar Music festival in November?
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Wasbayd: 5:04am On Aug 04, 2012
Michaeljones36:

2. I want to move to Africa... I want to build a life in a black majority country and I want my future kids to grow up in a black majority country.

I want to move to Nigeria for a lot of reasons. Several close family friends are from Nigeria,

I'm a full citizen of Nigeria, and for now I reside here, so I think I know much about Nigeria and what and where will be good for you here. I adviced you cos I see you as an experienced businessman taking such huge decision with your age at 21 to relocate to a giant country like Nigeria without previous Nigeria experience. It is a plan that demands extra care, financial and life safety precautions of which if not given may land you in regret. That's why I gave you places that guarantee peace alongside medium business for a start. I wish you the best.
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Wasbayd: 5:04am On Aug 04, 2012
Michaeljones36:

Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by otokx(m): 12:03pm On Aug 04, 2012
Since you want to do business then it just has to be Lagos which has extended a bit into some areas of Ogun State, the industrial areas would be nice for your factory. For now Nigeria has 3 entry points - Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt, your itinerary would determine the best point of landing though Lagos remains preferred cos of connectivity issues. This your trip is going to demand a lot of painstaking planning so that you get it right which is very much a possibility.
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by Wasbayd: 2:36pm On Aug 04, 2012
otokx: Since you want to do business then it just has to be Lagos which has extended a bit into some areas of Ogun State.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this point. Believe me there are states in Nigeria other than lagos in which you can invest and succeed greatly in a little time. Infact I'm a living proof, I terminated a good contract some years back to settle for a full time self owned business, lagos was my choice and I poured much of funds into my chosen business, it took me years to recover my capital and bliv me the biz was worth let go if not for the location and the name. Few years back I gave a trial to an idea of business that initially seemed stupid to me cos of the nature of it and the location, precisely Osun and Oyo states, but in about 6 months I've already realised my capital back, and I cant just start giving you the clear positive difference I have experienced in the business in terms of ease and turnover.
Re: Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! by otokx(m): 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2012
@wasbayd

do you speak Yoruba or are you in any way Yoruba? Your area of business to me appears to be service oriented and not production; correct me if i'm wrong.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Is Your Holiday Destination This Yuletide? / Re Trip To Cross River State (calabar + Obudu) / Two Nairalanders went to Ibeshe Beach Satellite Town,Lagos #pics+vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.