Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash (15280 Views)

Tension In Ondo Community Over Pipeline Attacks-the Nation / Ombatse Traditionalists: Police Killed Our Members So We Killed 95 Of Them / 33 Feared Dead In Ogun As Coaster Bus Plunges Into River (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Abbycite(m): 11:09am On Jul 29, 2012
I don't know why pple cannot reason for a second before commenting on any thread.

If u must know, the oro festival has being in existence since d inception of d town and it always take place every last saturday in July. I can tell u authoritatively dat it is not only a traditional thing but an avenue for cultural/heritage celebration (inidigenes of d town actually come down all over d world to take part).

However, during d celebration women are restricted from outdoor activities while d men can move freely. It is only a coincidence that it clash with d ramadan period dis year.

Now tell me, which one should go for d other....d one with a fixed date or d one with an unpredictable date.

Pple should learn to tolerate other belief...it wouldn't cost an arm/leg if d muslim women can observe their prayer indoor for dat 24 hours...

3 Likes

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by donigspain(m): 11:11am On Jul 29, 2012
Don't get me wrong but I think muslims are now becoming the victims.
BTW, what kind of 'tradition' would make a man to dress like a woman? Are you guys on the same thought-line?

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by olapluto(m): 11:13am On Jul 29, 2012
CHouse: But seriously why is it always the muslims vs adherents of other faith. From d recent embarassing Oloolu saga in which i was highly disappointetd in my yoruba brothers inaction on the situation to Anambra mosque demolition to the apparent cleansing of the Christians up-north. Cant y'all just live and let others live Why must it always be violence, tension, enmity wherever you people are. Places where relative peace can be found are regions where other faiths have been subjugated or totally wiped out yet you clamour for religious freedom and equity in places where you are the minority. It's a shame my yoruba people are losing it in the aspect of the protection of their cultural and religious heritage. We risk to have the destruction of important cultural sites as being experienced in mali replicate itself in Southwest Nigeria if the excesses on the part of these islamists isn't curbed on time.
You're not being honest with yourself, or you chose to blindly follow a thought school. Wake up and look around you..
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by maclatunji: 11:14am On Jul 29, 2012
We have had some people with deficient thinking capability commenting on this thread. Whether or not it is Ramadan, no Oro cult has the right to declare a curfew. The same rubbish happens in Ikorodu where people have to squat with family and friends when Oro cult members announce curfews. The days of such rubbish happening are numbered with serious legal sanctions and civil activism. Any Oba or Chief that continues to promote such illegality should prepare to forfeit the throne of his ancestors!
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by cheddarking(m): 11:15am On Jul 29, 2012
Extremism in ANY faith should be stamped out...

Unfortunately Boko Haram and other flavours of Militant Islam haven't done the Ikenne Muslims any favours...

The Ikenne muslims are the victims here, but few people will have any sympathy for MUSLIMS period.

Why cant we all just smoke a blunt get along?
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Digriz(m): 11:16am On Jul 29, 2012
donigspain: Don't get me wrong but I think muslims are now becoming the victims.
BTW, what kind of 'tradition' would make a man to dress like a woman? Are you guys on the same thought-line?
yorubas and cultism are intertwined.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by phildon: 11:16am On Jul 29, 2012
maryjames9: You people wil never fail to amaze me. Sometimes i cnt pick out what makes muslims such a violent radicalists. When it comes to religion,any average muslim can become unpredictably deadly. I would rather become an atheist than become a muslim.
Enjoy your freedoms of choice and speech. But know it that where your own freedom ends is where someone else's freedom starts. If a muslim is ready to lay down his life for his faith, why must you be jealous?
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Afam4eva(m): 11:17am On Jul 29, 2012
Some people just look at every opportunity to incriminate muslims. why will the Oro group order people not to move around. Are they the government? Yet some people see nothing wrong with that.

Btw, I thought Yorubaland was supposed to be the most liberal in Nigeria. What happened??
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by phildon: 11:19am On Jul 29, 2012
Digriz: yorubas and cultism are intertwined.
Virtually every ethnic group in the south is intertwined with cultism, so don't try to paint yoruba black here.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by bakila: 11:20am On Jul 29, 2012
stevenosa: When you are in the Northern part of this country, called Nigeria, you must do and obey the tradition of the inhabitant of that part. Now, they are here in the South complaining of ORO disturbing their movement. Are they the only people that were affected by the restriction? Those who knows the tradition in that part of the State have all moved to nearby towns, while should a stranger now be the one to go to the government and report. Time is running out my people. The earlier we stand our ground, the better.

You dull well, who are the strangers? Please learn to read.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by olapluto(m): 11:22am On Jul 29, 2012
stevenosa: When you are in the Northern part of this country, called Nigeria, you must do and obey the tradition of the inhabitant of that part. Now, they are here in the South complaining of ORO disturbing their movement. Are they the only people that were affected by the restriction? Those who knows the tradition in that part of the State have all moved to nearby towns, while should a stranger now be the one to go to the government and report. Time is running out my people. The earlier we stand our ground, the better.
Who are the 'they'? Some people have so much hatred, but they very easily hide it behind the 'cool, loving xtianity', which is not the case at all. In most indigenous Yoruba villages, you have a 70-30 Muslim-pagan population. Now reframe your 'they'

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by phildon: 11:25am On Jul 29, 2012
maclatunji: We have had some people with deficient thinking capability commenting on this thread. Whether or not it is Ramadan, no Oro cult has the right to declare a curfew. The same rubbish happens in Ikorodu where people have to squat with family and friends when Oro cult members announce curfews. The days of such rubbish happening are numbered with serious legal sanctions and civil activism. Any Oba or Chief that continues to promote such illegality should prepare to forfeit the throne of his ancestors!
Just about to say this. But to add that muslims seem to be bolder to insist on their right so far.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by ukpaku: 11:31am On Jul 29, 2012
mmmustapha: Oh Allah illiteracy is a disease, u enemies of islam very soon u will knw ur fate, “We
believe in Allah and what is
sent down to us and what
was sent down to Ibrahim,
and Ismael, and Ishaq, and
Yaqub (Jacob) and their
sons, and what came to
Moosa and Eisa and the
Prophets, from their Lord; we
do not make any distinction,
in belief, between any of
them, and to Him we have
submitted ourselves.”And if one
seeks a religion other than
Islam, it will never be
accepted from him; and he is
among the losers in the
Hereafter.
what was send down to babangida, abdulsalam,buhari, faruke and so on my broda.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by edoyad(m): 11:32am On Jul 29, 2012
Abbycite: I don't know why pple cannot reason for a second before commenting on any thread.

If u must know, the oro festival has being in existence since d inception of d town and it always take place every last saturday in July. I can tell u authoritatively dat it is not only a traditional thing but an avenue for cultural/heritage celebration (inidigenes of d town actually come down all over d world to take part).

However, during d celebration women are restricted from outdoor activities while d men can move freely. It is only a coincidence that it clash with d ramadan period dis year.

Now tell me, which one should go for d other....d one with a fixed date or d one with an unpredictable date.

Pple should learn to tolerate other belief...it wouldn't cost an arm/leg if d muslim women can observe their prayer indoor for dat 24 hours...

My friend let me explain something to you, WE LIVE IN A DEMOCRACY. WE ALL OPTED FOR THIS DEMOCRACY.
Have you heard the saying, "one man's rights ends where the other man's begins" ? If you understand that principle, you'll know why no group can just wake in the morning and emplace curfew on a town with a legitimate Government, existing within the entity of sovereign state called Nigeria. We are governed by laws derived from our constitution. These Laws are why you can own land and property anywhere in this country; that is why Military who drive their Vehicles on BRT lanes are sanctioned; that is why you and I can criticize Government fairly and not fear sleeping in a secret Police cell. Which side do you think would win this case in Court ?
It is also disheartening that the LG chairman is giving tacit support to the Cult's actions. It is very unfortunate undecided

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by phildon: 11:33am On Jul 29, 2012
Abbycite: I don't know why pple cannot reason for a second before commenting on any thread.

And u believe that is civiliztion?
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by phildon: 11:35am On Jul 29, 2012
edoyad:

My let me explain something to you, WE LIVE IN A DEMOCRACY. WE ALL OPTED FOR THIS DEMOCRACY.
Have you heard the saying, "one man's rights ends where the other man's begins" ? If you understand that principle, you'll know why no group can just wake in the morning and emplace curfew on a town with a legitimate Government, existing within the entity of sovereign state called Nigeria. Which side do you think would win this case in Court ?
It is also disheartening that the LG chairman is giving tacit support to the Cult's actions. It is very unfortunate undecided
Is the chairman not a member of the cult? What do you expect?
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by maclatunji: 11:39am On Jul 29, 2012
edoyad:

My let me explain something to you, WE LIVE IN A DEMOCRACY. WE ALL OPTED FOR THIS DEMOCRACY.
Have you heard the saying, "one man's rights ends where the other man's begins" ? If you understand that principle, you'll know why no group can just wake in the morning and emplace curfew on a town with a legitimate Government, existing within the entity of sovereign state called Nigeria. Which side do you think would win this case in Court ?

Tell me about it. Too much illegality in Nigeria. Next on the list are masquerades. One-by-One, they need to be put in check. It is not only Boko Haram that we will condemn.

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by maclatunji: 11:40am On Jul 29, 2012
phildon: Just about to say this. But to add that muslims seem to be bolder to insist on their right so far.

We are enlightened and not scared of their antics.

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by phildon: 11:41am On Jul 29, 2012
ukpaku: what was send down to babangida, abdulsalam,buhari, faruke and so on my broda.
The same books, but they are not the ones to be followed. The model of the muslims is Mohammed (s.a.w.). Or are Rev King, Obj, Gej the xtian models?
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Digriz(m): 11:41am On Jul 29, 2012
phildon: Virtually every ethnic group in the south is intertwined with cultism, so don't try to paint yoruba black here.
pardon me cuz am nt tryn to paint d yorubas black whereas i hv a yoruba blood in me. Bt on a serious note,my yoruba people are more than good on d practice.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by curtain: 11:47am On Jul 29, 2012
THE gods ARE NOT TO BE BLAMED. ATTACK IS THE BEST FORM OF DEFENCE. THE ATTACK BY D CULTIST WAS JUST A WARNING SIGN TO THE MUSLIMS WHO THINK THEY ARE D ONLY ONES DAT KNW VIOLENCE, THE GOVT. HV BEEN GRANTIN SO MANY HOLIDAYS FOR THERE ISLAMIC FESTIVAL AND NO BODY COMPLAINED, NW THEY ARE CLAMOURING FOR A RIGHT AND FREEDOM. UR RIGHT STOPS WHERE ANODA PERSON'S BEGIN. BETWEEN ISLAM AND CULTIST RELIGION, WHICH ONE WAS FIRST PRACTICED IN OGUN STATE . IT IS ONLY A STUBORN FLY THAT EXCORTS DEAD BODY 2 THE GRAVE. COME OUT AND TEST UR POWERS TOO IF U CLAIM U ARE SERVING THE TRUE GOD....Hihihihii.Laughing in swahili
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by phildon: 11:59am On Jul 29, 2012
curtain: THE gods ARE NOT TO BE BLAMED. ATTACK IS THE BEST FORM OF DEFENCE. THE ATTACK BY D CULTIST WAS JUST A WARNING SIGN TO THE MUSLIMS WHO THINK THEY ARE D ONLY ONES DAT KNW VIOLENCE, THE GOVT. HV BEEN GRANTIN SO MANY HOLIDAYS FOR THERE ISLAMIC FESTIVAL AND NO BODY COMPLAINED, NW THEY ARE CLAMOURING FOR A RIGHT AND FREEDOM. UR RIGHT STOPS WHERE ANODA PERSON'S BEGIN. BETWEEN ISLAM AND CULTIST RELIGION, WHICH ONE WAS FIRST PRACTICED IN OGUN STATE . IT IS ONLY A STUBORN FLY THAT EXCORTS DEAD BODY 2 THE GRAVE. COME OUT AND TEST UR POWERS TOO IF U CLAIM U ARE SERVING THE TRUE GOD....Hihihihii.Laughing in swahili
How i wish this' happening in your village. And i wonder if this' going to be your own contribution.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Bastiger(m): 12:07pm On Jul 29, 2012
mmmustapha: Oh Allah illiteracy is a disease, u enemies of islam very soon u will knw ur fate, “We
sent down to us and what
Yaqub (Jacob) and their
sons, and what came to
Moosa and Eisa and the
them, and to Him we have
Islam, it will never be
among the losers in the
Hereafter.

sent down to us and what
Yaqub (Jacob) and their
sons, and what came to
Moosa and Eisa and the
them, and to Him we have
Islam, it will never be
among the losers in the
Hereafter.

and someone will tell me that islam is a religion of peace,nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Mosmosis: 12:19pm On Jul 29, 2012
sent down to us and what
Yaqub (Jacob) and their
sons, and what came to
Moosa and Eisa and the
them, and to Him we have
Islam, it will never be
among the losers in the
Hereafter.
.and dat why curse ismael dat he shal b wild like lion.go check d bible cause i knw 4 sure it was remove 4 quaran
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by AbuRuqayya1(m): 12:20pm On Jul 29, 2012
gegee: religion cannot save u my friend.
and u must be godless.... fucking asshole
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Mosmosis: 12:23pm On Jul 29, 2012
The generation of muslim which is dear father is ismael was curse by God 2 b wild,like lion
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by imotondo(m): 12:26pm On Jul 29, 2012
In my opinion,i don't think it's fair for the traditionists to restrict the movt of the muslims since thier ramadan is also taking place.muslims r Nigerians too and have thier own rights,i think the two heads of the religions should come together and agree on how to approach the issue instead of fightng.....when u pain ur feet with coal,it'l b assumed that anything u match on wil be stained black & that is what is happening to islam in this country.however i still belive thier are stil good ones amongst them.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Dotman01(m): 12:27pm On Jul 29, 2012
Bastiger:

and someone will tell me that islam is a religion of peace,nonsense.
pot calling kettle black
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Dotman01(m): 12:29pm On Jul 29, 2012
Digriz: pardon me cuz am nt tryn to paint d yorubas black whereas i hv a yoruba blood in me. Bt on a serious note,my yoruba people are more than good on d practice.
tell me one southern tribe thats exempted
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by mmkamson(m): 12:32pm On Jul 29, 2012
Whn God said we shld lov our neighbors as ourslves he did nt mean d person nxt door,IMHO he knew u ll b a xtian n ur neighbor a muslim,judhist,budhist,oro cultist or whteva he choses to practise, yet God expects us to LOVE dem as ourslves.
Com to fink of it,1.hw cn u lov smbdy u dnt lik his or her way of life? Sec sch social studies taught mi dt religion s a way of life,2.hw cn u lov smthn u dnt understn? U knw it s nt possible.
In otherwords wht i fink God s tellin us here s 2learn enough abt our neighbour's religion and undstand their ways of life,knw d dos and donts of their religion,tolerate dem and dont condemn their acts(calling dem names)dont tag dem citizens of hell cos God does nt care wht religion u practised on earth so as to b able to liv togeda in peace.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by phreakabit(m): 12:48pm On Jul 29, 2012
[size=18pt]Muslims Again?!!![/size]
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by aribisala0(m): 1:01pm On Jul 29, 2012
Oro is not a cult.It is at the core of Yorubaism.Those who don't like it can go to Mecca or Jerusalem.We have regular environmental sanitation and Oro is a form of spiritual sanitation that must be observed.Nothing complex there really.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Today's FCT Council Election: Things You Should Know / Confusion As Adamawa Assembly Members Exchanged Blows Over Failed Impeachment / Bandits Kidnap Hamza Umar's 4 Children In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.