Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,278 members, 7,780,636 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:15 PM

Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash (15261 Views)

Tension In Ondo Community Over Pipeline Attacks-the Nation / Ombatse Traditionalists: Police Killed Our Members So We Killed 95 Of Them / 33 Feared Dead In Ogun As Coaster Bus Plunges Into River (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by tribalism(m): 8:26pm On Jul 29, 2012
@phildon
which one is xtiain as i'm very sure you're not a Christian and do not mean Christian.
concerning the story, i've no coment as i don't believe it either ways.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by deeplo(m): 8:30pm On Jul 29, 2012
maclatunji:

You will be shocked at the crimes committed in the name of this "wonderful" festival you are painting .

Perhaps, you maybe correct but from what i have witnessed for like 5years, i have not seen such "crime". Beside am not panting or saying its a wonderful festival. Even the bull festival in Spain, the new yam festival, in Igbo land has their ups and down
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 29, 2012
Leave them let them clash. The muslims are also the traditionalists. Im so surprised that they are having problems with the "eleku" also called the oro cult. I lived in ikenne for sometime. Eleku or isemo as they call it, is an annual ritual precisely very july. some years ago, it fell on a sunday and people could not go to church. I tried to but i was disturbed by these area guys numbering about 15. They bear muslim names. I knew many of them. They said "Doc" where r u going? I said church and one of them replied, " dey no tell u for church say eleku dey" i said No and that was it not for women not men. i was allowed to go becos they know me. So why the noise? Because it is ramadan? We have seen now that islam and violence are inseperable

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by curtain: 9:23pm On Jul 29, 2012
IF U THINK ORO IS SO INCONSEQUENTIAL AND NOT A RELIGION ENUF 2 OBSERVE THEIR OWN PRACTICE, THEN THOSE CONTENDING SHUD COME OUT AND SEE. LET US TEST THE POWERS OF A LONG BEARED IMAM WIT HIS TESBIU AGAINST ORO, AND KNW WHO WILL BOW 4 WHO, LET US SIEVE TRUTH FRM LIES, THIS PPLE HV NT EVN DONE ANYTIN WRONG YET THEY FELT THEY NEED 2 PERFORM THEIR RITUAL CLEANSING, THE BLOOD SUCKING IMAMS AND THEIR FOLOWERS WHO SHUD HV BOROWED A CUE FRM DEM FOR ATROCITIES DEY HV BIN COMMITTING, VIOLATING UNDERAGE GIRLS AND KILLING ALL IN THE NAME OF ALLAH,... ARE SHAMELESLY YAPPING 4 RIGHT, WHEN DEY SHUD HV JOINED ORO. NO TIME 4 YAPPING, I WANT 2 SEE THOSE IMAMS IN SPIRITUAL ACTION .... MAJAROTY OF NIGERIANS ARE COVERT TRADITIONALIST PRETENDING 2 B IN OTHER RELIGION ...
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by BetaThings: 10:37pm On Jul 29, 2012
chima12: and islamic human sacrifice should be allowed because this is 2012 for goodness sake?
How?
Where?

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by BetaThings: 10:42pm On Jul 29, 2012
frikuenci:

In case u don't know, the curfew is part of the custom and tradition of the oro festival. As such a non indegene sud stay clear of the open same applies to the women. Such traditions have been there for ages and like someone wrote earlier why can't they have just one day to observe their spiritual cleasing of their town based on their believe. For any other religion to have criticize them is an act of gross intolerance. Moreover wud the muslims there prefered not to have been informed before hand and put the restricted individual In danger(females etc). Give onto Caesar what is caesar's. Its their tradition. So its not part of Islam or Christianity to restrict movement as part of their own spiritual cleansing otherwise such wud be as crossing boundary for other religious beliefs. The curfew is no big deal.

My point is that the muslims are indigenes
Who gave them the job of spiritually cleansing the town by declaring a curfew
Especially after the intervention of the state government

I cannot understand the argument of not informing people first. Does informing justify illegality?
Muslims and christians are reasonable. That is why they don't declare curfew. So I would not understand it
To you, the curfew is no big deal; to me, it is. And one day, say you have to rush somebody to the hospital, it will be
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by aribisala0(m): 11:30pm On Jul 29, 2012
The Oro festival has been part of Yoruba tradition from day 1 before Islam or Christianity and other funny foreign doctrines and is usually directed by their Kings and traditional chiefs.
One thing that has happened in Northern Nigerian is their culture has been virtually deleted and they have become "BLANK SLATES" for Arabization in the name of Islam.This will NEVER happen to us. We still revere our deities,ancestors and their wisdom and will not succumb to enslavement in the name of civilization.Does anyone complain when you close government offices and banks in the name of Christmas or Ids and stop others doin their business??

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Nobody: 3:19am On Jul 30, 2012
Why are most Muslims often aggressive?!
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by phildon: 5:08am On Jul 30, 2012
tribalism:
which one is xtiain as am very sure you're not a christian.
You just showed yourself that you aren't civilized @ all. Imagine! You can't even believe that I'm a xtian.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by phildon: 5:12am On Jul 30, 2012
all4naija: Why are most Muslims often aggressive?!
Just like in this case, abi? You hatred dey show for face!
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by BinghiNya(m): 5:34am On Jul 30, 2012
Christianity and delusion are twins. Oro festival is purely a silly festival what improvement has it brought to Nigeria. Please read posts before replying.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Ayatullah(m): 6:04am On Jul 30, 2012
INSHALLAH REINFORCEMENT ON THE WAY TO WIPE OUT THE IDOLATERS!!!
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by rabzy: 6:31am On Jul 30, 2012
aribisala0: The Oro festival has been part of Yoruba tradition from day 1 before Islam or Christianity and other funny foreign doctrines and is usually directed by their Kings and traditional chiefs.
One thing that has happened in Northern Nigerian is their culture has been virtually deleted and they have become "BLANK SLATES" for Arabization in the name of Islam.This will NEVER happen to us. We still revere our deities,ancestors and their wisdom and will not succumb to enslavement in the name of civilization.Does anyone complain when you close government offices and banks in the name of Christmas or Ids and stop others doin their business??

Nobody is saying you should not revere your ancestors or Gods, But when you descend on people and beat them up just because you want to revere your ancestors then you are looking for trouble. When muslims or christian holidays are declared nobody is beaten, children, men and women are allowed to walk freely. But these crazy traditionalists go about with cutlasses and charms. I know of a man who was returning late at night from work and was nearly killed by these guys. Many Women have died in their hands.

Sometimes you just go to work and people will start calling you that you should either stay back or return home early. With Lagos traffic how do you ever get home early.

They do this nonsense where I stay and I have said if my Wife goes missing or hurt during any of these foolish curfews, i am bringing down their oba's palace. lets see how much the house is jazzed up.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Leemak: 6:42am On Jul 30, 2012
if Muslims attacked by this illiterate traditionalists have attacked dem back most of Islam haters wil b blaming muslims for violent acts....but i dont hav much to say since a group of cultists hav more say over government....but d notion is always d same, "Islam our pride, their fear"
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by rabzy: 6:42am On Jul 30, 2012
deeplo: I read this story and i laugh in Spanish. I was actually in that town Ikenne with my little boy age 1yr 8months from 10am on Saturday till 7pm, there was no fight or quarrel, although it might have happened before the D day, but i can confirm that the oro festival was peaceful. Let me also state that majority of the women and ladies in that town sees the festival as a day of rest. They love it and cherish it. Its just like a national public holiday for most of them. Ask any woman from these following towns and they will tell you they love it....towns like, Odogbolu, Ilisan remo, Ikenne, Irolu, Ogere, Ode remo, Iperu, Ijebu-ijesha, Ipara and Ishara.
Next week is Ilisan remo, Oro festival and sincerely people are really preparing for it. To them it's a party like festival not a occultist festival.

Just pray you and your Son for some reason are caught outside at night when they are about with cutlasses and charms, then you will cry in your mother tongue. If a woman cannot see ORO, what happens to woman who has to get to the hospital that day, a woman who is in labour in the dead of the night or who is in some sort of crisis and had to get help. So should she die because some drunk idiots are about, or should she be sacrificed because she saw ORO.

Let them stay in my front when am rushing my wife to the hospital...then lets see how Ogun will save them from the impact of my car.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by sulex947(m): 7:28am On Jul 30, 2012
stevenosa: When you are in the Northern part of this country, called Nigeria, you must do and obey the tradition of the inhabitant of that part. Now, they are here in the South complaining of ORO disturbing their movement. Are they the only people that were affected by the restriction? Those who knows the tradition in that part of the State have all moved to nearby towns, while should a stranger now be the one to go to the government and report. Time is running out my people. The earlier we stand our ground, the better.
@ stevenosa i doubt if u type this urself or u ve som 1 assisted u, beside ve u ever steped out of the 4 corners of ur room becos if u do, u would ve realize dat its not only northerners dat are muslims, but no state exist on this earth without muslim as an indigine of that state including urs. U ve heard nd seen boko haramist and other terrorist group all over the world, have it in ur mind that none of those groups are muslim or sponsored by muslims to fight for d cause of ISLAM. Take ur time and investigate witout sentiments.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by RuuDie(m): 8:11am On Jul 30, 2012
This is just amazing - side with "Oro" just to spite Muslims/Islam. Hmmm, God dey oh!
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by aribisala0(m): 8:13am On Jul 30, 2012
rabzy:

Nobody is saying you should not revere your ancestors or Gods, But when you descend on people and beat them up just because you want to revere your ancestors then you are looking for trouble. When muslims or christian holidays are declared nobody is beaten, children, men and women are allowed to walk freely. But these crazy traditionalists go about with cutlasses and charms. I know of a man who was returning late at night from work and was nearly killed by these guys. Many Women have died in their hands.

Sometimes you just go to work and people will start calling you that you should either stay back or return home early. With Lagos traffic how do you ever get home early.

They do this nonsense where I stay and I have said if my Wife goes missing or hurt during any of these foolish curfews, i am bringing down their oba's palace. lets see how much the house is jazzed up.
Well there is an allegation of violence.If that is the case and the law is broken it should take its normal course.I was not there and I believe neither were you.
Anyhow there have been several murderous episodes of violence recently involving moslems and other groups too so do not pretend as if moslems are perennial victims or saints.There are always bad eggs everywhere so do not try to characterise traditionalist as violent that is disingenuous.What do you mean by "crazy" traditionalists ?Are they the ones bombing churches and slaughtering people in their sleep? Clearly you are biassed and cannot debate objectively so please do not quote me.

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by gists: 8:21am On Jul 30, 2012
rabzy:

Just pray you and your Son for some reason are caught outside at night when they are about with cutlasses and charms, then you will cry in your mother tongue. If a woman cannot see ORO, what happens to woman who has to get to the hospital that day, a woman who is in labour in the dead of the night or who is in some sort of crisis and had to get help. So should she die because some drunk idiots are about, or should she be sacrificed because she saw ORO.

Let them stay in my front when am rushing my wife to the hospital...then lets see how Ogun will save them from the impact of my car.

My wife went into labour in the dead of the night for my 1st child and veeery early (4-5am) for the 2nd. While i thank God I didn't have to worry about any cult driving her to the hospital on those 2 occasions, I certainly would not have stayed back and watch labouring in pain if there was such a f00lish order. They'll have to get past me first b4 pulling an hair from my wife. Obviously sum folks would rather obay such occultic order b4 considering the woman
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Euroclydon(m): 8:23am On Jul 30, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
good. this is our country and we can do what we want. cool

Go ahead especially if you are nobody living in the confines of ur father's parlour!
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by RuuDie(m): 8:23am On Jul 30, 2012
Holadokun: Behave and act like romans when you are in Rome. . . . . It is jst 24hours [b]why can't the muslims concor with the rules [/b]perphaps islamic met traditional religion in Nigeria

Why didn't Fashola just say "Oh, he is an Army Colonel lets just give him allowance to ride the BRT lane!"
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by aribisala0(m): 9:01am On Jul 30, 2012
Nigerian constitution asserts that government will protect ALL people and ALL life and guarantees freedom of speech.
If you try preaching Jesus is Lord publicly in Kano or Sokoto no one can guarantee your life.
In many SW states, I don't know about the east, Native law remains in force to this day under the direction of Obas and councils of chiefs.It is regulated by state governments,true but the Obas have the authority to declare these curfew lawfully so people should educate themselves.That is certainly the case in Lagos state today.I assume it is the same in Ogun.In urbanized areas e.g Lagos Island,Ikorodu the areas to which the curfew extends is clearly demarcated.What is happening is Islamic and Christian groups,as their numbers grow,try and test boundaries or change the ground rules,in short a STRUGGLE,let us see that for what it is.
The status quo though is that the curfews are indeed lawful in Western Nigeria as was the case throughout the colonial era .
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by maick321: 11:09am On Jul 30, 2012
hello,
welcome to the forum site here you can get all type of information and contain all type of subject's this is to answer your queries so this is the best way to solve the problem. So enjoy forum sites.
----------------------------------------
NYC Rhinoplasty
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by rabzy: 2:06pm On Jul 30, 2012
aribisala0:
Well there is an allegation of violence.If that is the case and the law is broken it should take its normal course.I was not there and I believe neither were you.
Anyhow there have been several murderous episodes of violence recently involving moslems and other groups too so do not pretend as if moslems are perennial victims or saints.There are always bad eggs everywhere so do not try to characterise traditionalist as violent that is disingenuous.What do you mean by "crazy" traditionalists ?Are they the ones bombing churches and slaughtering people in their sleep? Clearly you are biassed and cannot debate objectively so please do not quote me.

What do you mean by i was not there? is it today that Egungun beat up people on the road, why is it that people avoid masquerades when they jam for street, do you think they are just scared of the old rags they don, these guys whip and hit people. And the ORO cult is worse, those ones do kill people ask anybody in epe, ikorodu, idimu, any orile in lagos. So don't even mention allegation of violence, i have seen guyz that were beaten by ORO boyz. In broad daylight my friend was punched by an eegun just because he walked past the guy, he nursed a black eye for days.

Anybody bombimg anybody is crazy and so also is anyone who beats up people for no reason, attack/kill women in the night because of one foolish thing they are carrying. Am not a moslem, in fact 70% of those carrying these things bear moslem names or profess to be moslems, there are some professed xtians among them too. The core traditionalists are very few.
I don't care who makes up their composition, if you wont let me walk a public street because of your religion, you are wrong, if you beat up/kill people because you want to cleanse the land you are mad and should be jailed.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by noble84: 3:11pm On Jul 30, 2012
Chinom: One question still baffles me. Why are there so many muslims in Yoruba land anyway?. There are just as many mosques in Lagos as there are churches. A certain BH tendencies in SW worries me. I'm just concerned. That's all.
dont mind the powerless and fearful yoruba fools who were forced into accepting Islam during the 1804 jihad led by uthman danfodio.none of those yoruba muslims accepted Islam on their own.they were forced and today they claim like they even brought the religion on the hausas.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by noble84: 3:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
phildon: The first sign of civilization is respect for other people's feelings. Why will a cult group restrict movement of people during Ramadan and the muslims lodge their complains to the govt, and you are talking like this? I'm a xtiain, I beg you to be civilized even for once.
And why will muslims in the north stop food sellers just because they are fasting.did anyone force them into fasting?but when they see a christian eating,they get upset as if person put gun for their head say make them fast.everything about them is by force and they claim its a religion of peace.that is why when they say asalamalakun(peace),i dont answer them cos u cant offer what u dont have.

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by omoteejay(m): 3:51pm On Jul 30, 2012
maryjames9: You people wil never fail to amaze me. Sometimes i cnt pick out what makes muslims such a violent radicalists. When it comes to religion,any average muslim can become unpredictably deadly. I would rather become an atheist than become a muslim.

Then you must be a fool...
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by omoteejay(m): 4:23pm On Jul 30, 2012
noble84: dont mind the powerless and fearful yoruba fools who were forced into accepting Islam during the 1804 jihad led by uthman danfodio.none of those yoruba muslims accepted Islam on their own.they were forced and today they claim like they even brought the religion on the hausas.

you dont know what you are saying young man.
Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by Epalos: 5:57pm On Jul 30, 2012
This is a tradition that predate Islam and Christianity in all of Ijebuland, so both Muslims and Christians must yield to this Oro.
BetaThings:

My point is that the muslims are indigenes
Who gave them the job of spiritually cleansing the town by declaring a curfew
Especially after the intervention of the state government

I cannot understand the argument of not informing people first. Does informing justify illegality?
Muslims and christians are reasonable. That is why they don't declare curfew. So I would not understand it
To you, the curfew is no big deal; to me, it is. And one day, say you have to rush somebody to the hospital, it will be

1 Like

Re: Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash by ajadek(m): 9:22am On Jul 31, 2012
Is religion a course to us in Nigeria or besssing.black people with black mentality killings ur fellows humans being because of borrow religion,religion dat u don't even know deep..I don't believe in any religion bt I beleived in god.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Party Chairmen Protest During Signing Of Peace Accord, Allege Deceit / Why PDP May Lose All Southern States If It Zones Presidency To North - Thisday / PDP Crisis: Wike Camp Make Concessions, Insists On Ayu’s Sack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.