Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

Why Is UK So Expensive??? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is UK So Expensive??? (29212 Views)

10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? / Why Are Tickets So Expensive In And Outside Of Nigeria This December? / Why Is UK Visa So Expensive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 29, 2012
r231:

God Bless you

Btw the sharing thing is not even about the price, the quantity and it takes forever to finish so why would I want to buy a whole one
Hahahahahaha.....
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Umartins1(m): 11:40pm On Jul 29, 2012
Idowuogbo:
Lmaoo!!!!

U sure no our people. grin
I don miss you o:::::

*he seeks for a fresh trouble from Badosky*
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 11:46pm On Jul 29, 2012
r231:

God Bless you

Btw the sharing thing is not even about the price, the quantity and it takes forever to finish so why would I want to buy a whole one
Please carry on with what you are doing jare. As long as you are not asking anyone for a dime. . .who gives a flying rat's patootie what they think??!

By the way, don't you just love it when people come online to toot their own horns? I own this, I own that, I have this, I have that, I don'r rent, people rent from me cheesy cheesy

After how many years on the www, I have found that these people. . .these braggarts do not have a quarter of what they claim they do.

So as soon as I see them listing all the things they supposedly have. . .do you know what I do? I go "Awwwww, Eeeeya poor thing. May God answer his prayers sha"
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Idowuogbo(f): 11:49pm On Jul 29, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Don't you just love it when people come online to toot their own horns? I own this, I own that, I have this, I have that. cheesy cheesy

After how many years on the www, I have found that these people. . .these braggarts do not have a quarter of what they claim they do.

So as soon as I see them listing all the things they supposedly have. . .do you know what I do? I go "Awwwww, Eeeeya poor thing. May God answer his prayers sha"
U af talk it! Imagine! Sharing goat meat automatically means u poor? SMH!!!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Idowuogbo(f): 11:50pm On Jul 29, 2012
Umartins1:
I don miss you o:::::

*he seeks for a fresh trouble from Badosky*

undecided undecided
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: this aint even about poshing. all those things you mentioned ? i have stopped eating because of the inconvenience of it all. hey in tesco get meat, get canned tomato puree, get dry pepper, oil and fresh spinach. then get cornmeal or semolina. then get orange juice or ginger beer. what else do you need ? why do you feel like you need smoked goat head and pomo and shin meat and all the other stuff you mentioned ? all that is unnecessary. you eat to live, you dont live to eat.

Bros, she is right to some extent. Take am easy with those canned preserved food oooh. Nigeria way of preparing food is the best. We take our time to prepare it.

Anyhow sha, I like your reasoning on the essence of living. You sound like one who is philosophically inclined.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by r231(m): 11:51pm On Jul 29, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Don't you just love it when people come online to toot their own horns? I own this, I own that, I have this, I have that, I don'r rent, people rent from me cheesy cheesy

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Lmao

The dreamers aka Joseph from the village
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 11:53pm On Jul 29, 2012
Idowuogbo:
U af talk it! Imagine! Sharing goat meat automatically means u poor? SMH!!!
You minding them?

I swear I just hate nonsense talk. undecided

Opps sorry guys, I modified my initial post. . .forgot to quote R231. grin
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by NNBB2012: 11:57pm On Jul 29, 2012
London is the no 25th of the most expensive cities in the world. You can't compare the cost of living there with places such as: Tokyo,Luanda,Osaka,Sydney,Melbourne etc. And don't ever make the mistake of comparing things over there with Nigeria. Each time you do that, you will just be giving yourself unnecessary headache.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Idowuogbo(f): 12:00am On Jul 30, 2012
Billyonaire: What is wrong with you men and food items, have the role of men changed to those of women in the UK ?
Wots d role of a woman?
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by coogar: 12:24am On Jul 30, 2012
NNBB2012: London is the no 25th of the most expensive cities in the world. You can't compare the cost of living there with places such as: Tokyo,Luanda,Osaka,Sydney,Melbourne etc. And don't ever make the mistake of comparing things over there with Nigeria. Each time you do that, you will just be giving yourself unnecessary headache.

another charlatan speaketh......
london is by far the most expensive city in the world----there's a huge disparity between what you pay and the quality of the service you would get which I am sure was not considered in the idiotic ranking people have been bandying about!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by bashr8: 1:00am On Jul 30, 2012
U.K nigerians are the most broke nigerians i have ever met, so broke they cant even buy their own drink , na waoo see how their eye they always shine when home based nigerians are spending money. its better for you to hursle in nigeria than U.k . anytime i meet a nigerian that lives in U.K the first thing that comes to my mind is heyaaaa
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by coogar: 1:10am On Jul 30, 2012
bashr8: U.K nigerians are the most broke nigerians i have ever met, so broke they cant even buy their own drink , na waoo see how their eye they always shine when home based nigerians are spending money. its better for you to hursle in nigeria than U.k . anytime i meet a nigerian that lives in U.K the first thing that comes to my mind is heyaaaa

lmao!
dont mind them - they are all brokearses....personally, i have never seen a rich uk-based nigerian. they are all church rats. all of them are poorer than the nigerians back home who still stay with their parents, nigerians back home who don't pay utilities until they marry, nigerians back home who have little or no responsibility at all on their shoulders.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by hedges007(m): 1:19am On Jul 30, 2012
I strongly believe'that, Nothing is expensive, we only have people we can not afford things
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by ismaeel86(m): 2:00am On Jul 30, 2012
UK is expensive to live only if you chose to live an expensive lifestyle, i dont know much about rent for properties in London, but 400 quid is too much for a room in a shared apartment, you can get a cosy room in a choice place for less than that in the midlands. internet is very cheap too, if u have a smart phone u can do anything on the web with your phone if u are on a phone or sim contract that comes with internet inclusive. as for me, i do a lot of things on the web through my phone, i fill application forms, check and send emails, download songs, and stream videos on youtube. UK can be expensive even if u are working and earning a fat income, it all depend on individual spending pattern. if you want to live in UK, then you have to learn how to spend with economic sense.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by ennkey(f): 3:19am On Jul 30, 2012
Suchie: London in nt as expensive as USA..I stay in new jersey and am payin 1300 dollars 4one bedroom..its weirld
.........dat is sooooo ridiculous cos i pay $515 for a comfortable one bedroom apartment!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by toyemz(f): 4:19am On Jul 30, 2012
@buzugee

in tescos i get meat for like £5 and it lasts me like 1 week. its in those white plasticky things and it is cut into cubes and you get about 30 or 40 cubes of beaf for like 2 pounds. dunno what tesco you been going to bruh but 5 pound meat will last me nicely.

hmmm sorry to burst your bubble,but i buy the same pack you are describing here and its nowhere near 30 or 40 pieces and certainly not for £2

total exageration
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by wowo2: 4:44am On Jul 30, 2012
meat....are you people living in london, lions? wink
what happen to eating vegetable and fish.

toyemz: @buzugee

hmmm sorry to burst your bubble,but i buy the same pack you are describing here and its nowhere near 30 or 40 pieces and certainly not for £2

total exageration

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by shilling(f): 5:14am On Jul 30, 2012
Say whaaat? Naija food online? Link pls. Hope they deliver to Canada!! I need basic Nigerian food like garri in my life lol

horny4u:

I live in beautiful southwest England but I order my smoked goat head, hard chicken, pomo, shin meat etc online. I envy those that can go to all this markets o. No shame in loving my food...Tesco only just started selling gari, beans and malt and Morrison okro and rodo...in the past they were not catering for the minority market so ....
Lets not over posh ourselves I shop at waitrose alot because they have high quality organic food but someone needs to cater for my ogiri needs and if loving my food makes me backward....oh well!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by shilling(f): 5:29am On Jul 30, 2012
Interesting discussion going on here. I'm a student and I know college life ain't easy so I work like crazy over the summer and part-time during the school year. Like someone else said, u also have to be a bargain hunter. I could write an essay about this but I'm majoring in economics lol.

The things I'm quite "extravagant" in are clothes (quantity over quality for me though), food and travel lol. I'm a cheapskate in every other thing.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Godogwu: 7:28am On Jul 30, 2012
Its been echoing for a bit, I know UK isnt the most expensive but it's quite expensive. I know this because practically 40% of my classmates from secondary school in Nigeria are in Jand as international students, 30% in Nigeria another 20% in Canada and about 10% of us are littered in either US, Gh, Malaysia etc.... When we discuss our spendings we find out that the peeps in Jand spend a lot more. I have a friend who is sharing a 3 bed house with two other people and she pays £600 a month and for a second I was like " whoa!" that's over $1200 which is over N200k and in a year would be about N2.5m ( I could rent a full 4 bed or 5 bed house in lekki or a 3 or 4 bed house in Wuse or Garki with that). Even though the US is relatively cheaper considering that I pay about $620/ month ( campus shared housing), it's still a very high cost of living, facts still remains I can't live anywhere outside Nigeria.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Godogwu: 7:39am On Jul 30, 2012
zubbainno123: Yes LONDON iz very expensive, but I think an average nigerian without any political connection will be better off living there than this GOD forsaken nation called NIGERIA.

What's with you people and politics?!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by horny4u(f): 8:11am On Jul 30, 2012
shilling: Say whaaat? Naija food online? Link pls. Hope they deliver to Canada!! I need basic Nigerian food like garri in my life lol

I use Avilauk.com and Africarr.com not sure if they deliver to canada especially stuff like goat head but my bro lives in canada and he gets gari ....gari should be available on ebay or online in canada.

Nothing can seperate me from my goat head nkwobi etc no mara what anyone says I have a very powerful extractor in my kitchen so no shaking as Naija food stinks especially ogiri and iru and all them smoked fish but the taste is heavenly....sweating and swallowing.....hehehehe grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 8:12am On Jul 30, 2012
Godogwu: Its been echoing for a bit, I know UK isnt the most expensive but it's quite expensive. I know this because practically 40% of my classmates from secondary school in Nigeria are in Jand as international students, 30% in Nigeria another 20% in Canada and about 10% of us are littered in either US, Gh, Malaysia etc.... When we discuss our spendings we find out that the peeps in Jand spend a lot more. I have a friend who is sharing a 3 bed house with two other people and she pays £600 a month and for a second I was like " whoa!" that's over $1200 which is over N200k and in a year would be about N2.5m ( I could rent a full 4 bed or 5 bed house in lekki or a 3 or 4 bed house in Wuse or Garki with that). Even though the US is relatively cheaper considering that I pay about $620/ month ( campus shared housing), it's still a very high cost of living, facts still remains I can't live anywhere outside Nigeria.

Which city in the UK is your friend studying? That seems like an exaggerated figure because in many cities in the UK that is what you pay for 2 or 3 bedroom flat.

If she really pays such amount then she must either be dull not to have noticed that is a rip-off or she is trying to show-off while she is dying quietly .
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by coogar: 8:38am On Jul 30, 2012
justwise:

Which city in the UK is your friend studying? That seems like an exaggerated figure because in many cities in the UK that is what you pay for 2 or 3 bedroom flat.

If she really pays such amount then she must either be dull not to have noticed that is a rip-off or she is trying to show-off while she is dying quietly .

3-bedroom houses can go as high as £1800(bills inclusive) in most parts of london. how can you say £600/month can get a 2-3 bedroom when sometimes a one bedroom flat can be £1000 a month in london suburbs?
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 8:47am On Jul 30, 2012
coogar:

3-bedroom houses can go as high as £1800(bills inclusive) in most parts of london. how can you say £600/month can get a 2-3 bedroom when sometimes a one bedroom flat can be £1000 a month in london suburbs?

I said in most UK cities and that was why i asked where his friend is studying, in many cities outside London 2-3 bedroom flat will go for less than £600.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by sisieko2001: 9:07am On Jul 30, 2012
Smh @ some of the rent prices that have been quoted here.

3 bedroom flat in a place like pompey (minus any bill whatsoever) is 800pounds.

A decent one bedroom flat close to the city centre in is around 500-600 pounds. Minus bills.

Now in london, shared 2 bedroom flat with a couple (couple in one room, a single indvidual in the other) is 350pounds (with bills) at ,woolich arsenal.

Similiar arrangement around canning town area is 400pounds (with bills, minus internet)

Some people pay as much as 390pounds with bills for a house share with four people within london.

In zone 1, you can pay as much as 600pounds (with bills) for a shared apartment with 5 people.

Now these are "true" rental prices and not some outdated rents being quoted here.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by sisieko2001: 9:11am On Jul 30, 2012
To add to that, a friend was recently offered a "one" bedroom flat @ woolich arsenal for 650pounds (inclusive of council tax only).

Now the flat in question is council owned ( the person was trying to rent the place out illegally) and the second room was gonna be locked up (cos it contained the person's belongings)
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Skywalker5(m): 9:14am On Jul 30, 2012
coogar:

lmao!
dont mind them - they are all brokearses....personally, i have never seen a rich uk-based nigerian. they are all church rats. all of them are poorer than the nigerians back home who still stay with their parents, nigerians back home who don't pay utilities until they marry, nigerians back home who have little or no responsibility at all on their shoulders.

i really like when you used the word personally with your statement. grin grin grin grin .its truly understandable
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by sisieko2001: 9:15am On Jul 30, 2012
Another friend pays 750pounds monthly for a one bed flat @ reading. Bills exclusive.

And he pays it all :
Council tax (with sole occupancy discount though)
Water
Sewage
Internet
Gas
Electricity
Sky tv
Landline
Internet
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by sisieko2001: 9:16am On Jul 30, 2012
Another friend pays 750pounds monthly for a one bed flat @ reading. Bills exclusive.

And he pays it all :
Council tax (with sole occupancy discount though)
Water
Sewage
Internet
Gas
Electricity
Sky tv
Landline
Internet
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by lifestyle1(m): 9:16am On Jul 30, 2012
It all depends on how much you earn. undecided

What's ur monthly take home pay ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Tola Ogundipe Is Dead Drowns In Lagos, Police Probe Aides / FG Extends Flight Ban By Four Weeks / Accident At Aba Claims Lives As A Container Fell On A Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.