Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,680 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:18 PM

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! (384922 Views)

Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc. / Are There No Auto Peugeot Cars? / American Spec Cars With HEADLAMPS Always On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:41am On Aug 03, 2012
VolvoS60:

^^^Thanks, ikenna. I'm already familiar with carsurvey - i just wanted to get detailed real world experiences of users here in Nigeria outside Abuja and the big urban centres. I am seriously considering enrolling for a technician's course so that I can troubleshoot any potential problems if i were to decide to get a lion/camel for myself. Kudos to you - I think you once said in a prior thread that you were a self-taught mechanic. That's the way to go - car ownership becomes a joy when a user/owner can take care of most of the everyday faults (or at least can hold his own against the sharks who call themselves mechanics cheesy)

P.S. I had no idea that Nigerian mechanics call catcons "indomie". . . grin

DIY or one knowing how to fix his car is not a big deal. Its called INTEREST. Problem with Nigerians is that they see themselves working on their vehicles as stooping too low. Even the whiteman's world that owns that technology; even the whitemen that used those vehicles for years before they get to our shores intact, were fixing the vehicles themselves. When we start making small money, we start feeling too big to do certain things ourselves, as if we are richer than those that used those vehicles from new and were fixing them theirselves, before they get to us as the 3rd or 5th owners. Check various auto forums online and see how good an average vehicle owner in the whiteman's world is in troubleshooting their vehicles. Am not even close to them, with the little knowledge i have.

Ikenna.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 10:07am On Aug 03, 2012
Ikenna351:

DIY or one knowing how to fix his car is not a big deal. Its called INTEREST. Problem with Nigerians is that they see themselves working on their vehicles as stooping too low. Even the whiteman's world that owns that technology; even the whitemen that used those vehicles for years before they get to our shores intact, were fixing the vehicles themselves. When we start making small money, we start feeling too big to do certain things ourselves, as if we are richer than those that used those vehicles from new and were fixing them theirselves, before they get to us as the 3rd or 5th owners. Check various auto forums online and see how good an average vehicle owner in the whiteman's world is in troubleshooting their vehicles. Am not even close to them, with the little knowledge i have.

Ikenna.

Perfectly said, please can u suggest basic tools I'd need for DIY for basic mechanical things on a car? I've my allen keys and plier already. Since I got my manual & I've been following this forum, it irritates me seeing mechanics trying to confuse me with wrongly placed grammer.

BTW Thanks, I fixed the Power steering issue myself, it was the oil that was finished.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by VolvoS60(m): 11:06am On Aug 03, 2012
Ikenna351:

Ikenna.

I agree with you. We are actually on the same page here. I have picked up a few things about the basics of how cars work over the years - having gone through a few old school lions (owned by parents, siblings, etc). But anyone who wants to be able to deal with modern cars needs to go beyond old school lion tech. and learn how to troubleshoot codes and work with modern diagnostic tools. Having said that, I agree with you 100% on your excellent point in an earlier post about how many modern technicians get into trouble whenever their scanners can't resolve a problem - they simply have little or no experience with manual troubleshooting. It seems you have both hands-on experience with manual troubleshooting as well as an understanding of how and why things work the way they do on your motor vehicle. We'll be picking your brains on this board. . .
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by karaye: 12:32pm On Aug 03, 2012
@ikenna what is the meaning of immobiliser and MOT
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 12:50pm On Aug 03, 2012
karaye: @ikenna what is the meaning of immobiliser and MOT

Immobiliser: As the name reads.

MOT: Ministry Of Transport. Its a periodic check of vehicles in UK by their Ministry of Transport to know vehicles that are road worthy. If a car passes the check, the owner would say his car passed the MOT.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ogbajie(m): 3:23pm On Aug 03, 2012
Ikenna351:

What the clowns call indomie is Catalytic Converter. Did the mechanic scan the car to know what the cause of rich running was before suggesting the replacement of the Cat Converter? What made him think only failed Cat converter would cause rich mixture? Not surprised though.

A lot of engine sensors or components would give rich mixture symptom when faulty. Cat converter is just one of them. Go and scan that car!

As for the timing belt and 6 months replacement thing. The clown was right, you ought to have replace it immediately you bought the car, unless you know the car history or the last replacement date is pasted on the belt cover or somewhere in the engine bay. Average mileage of timing belt of most cars are 60 - 80,000 miles or km. It should take 5 - 8 years to cover such mileage. Since you are in Abuja, buy the timing belt kit (timing belt, tensioners and water pump) at any of the Peugeot Dealership in town. One is at Garki II. Another is at Area 7 or 8 (not sure of the number), but its very close to UTC. They sell genuine Peugeot parts there in retails. You can even do the replacement there, if you can afford it, but its wise and safer, so that nothing will go wrong. For the clown to suggest you replace only the timing belt without the tensioners and water pump is unbelievable. Stop opeing your bonnet for them for every issue with the car. You can take the car to him for brake pad replacement, but not for things as delicate as timing belt and injection issues. What if Cat converter you replaced was still good and you now put a faulty one? How could he have tell a good cat converter, unless its a brand new one. I wont advice you to buy the timing belt anyhow, especially at that APO. I doubt their qualities, unless you plan to be replacing it everyone 6 months, as the clown suggested. Take note: 406 engines are interference engines. If the timing belt cut on you, while the engine is running, then you will have a lot to deal with, other than the belt.

Ikenna.
thanks Ikenna. your advice am sure will be most useful. I didnt even know about those dealers in area 7 and Garki 2. I will check them up. non of the clowns also mentioned changing timing belt with tensioners and water pump. Infact, God bless u my brother.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ogbajie(m): 3:27pm On Aug 03, 2012
Ikenna pls whats your advice on buying 406 auto drive? I have had people say that Peogeout is not very stable on auto drives. thanks
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 3:59pm On Aug 03, 2012
[

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:17pm On Aug 03, 2012
bigx:

Perfectly said, please can u suggest basic tools I'd need for DIY for basic mechanical things on a car? I've my allen keys and plier already. Since I got my manual & I've been following this forum, it irritates me seeing mechanics trying to confuse me with wrongly placed grammer.

BTW Thanks, I fixed the Power steering issue myself, it was the oil that was finished.

Good to hear that your PAS issue has been sorted out, by yourself. wink Of course I knew the moment i read your post that the issue was not PAS pump failure. Only a broken PAS pump belt and lack of oil in the PAS pump would give such symptom.

You have gotten the most important tool for DIY, which is the manual. When i said manual, I mean the wiring diagram/Electrical manual and workshop manual of the car, other than the owners manual. Take your time to study the workshop manual to know the location of components or sensors in the car. The workshop manual will have the factory resistance and volt values of all the engine sensors & components, when tested with Digital Mulitimeter (Multimeter cost N200, N500, N1000,etc All do the same work). Google to find out the functions of each engine components or sensors. Print them and keep. Also google & print the symptoms a car will give when each of the sensors and components fails. When your car starts giving you a particular sypmtom, go back to your printed materials. Check for components that would cause such symptom. They could be more than one components or sensors. List them and check up their factory resistance & volts values in the workshop manual, look for the location of the components in the W/shop manual, study how to test each of the components which will be explained in the W/shop manual with Digital MulitiMeter or you google how to safely test the components with Digital Multimeter (if you are scared of breaking or damaging something) and then get to work. By the time you get to the 3rd or 4th component, you must have found the culprit. This method is called "Elimination Method". It helps one to fully understand his vehicle, how it works, what makes what to work, etc. With this method, your vehcile can hardly strand you on a long distance trip, whether the OBD II scanner is with you or not. You gain a lot of knowledge via the Elimination method. Its the cheapest method.

OBD II scanner is the fastest and easiest tool in troubleshooting and fixing vehicle for a DIY. The scanner will simply tell you what the culprits are. With the W/shop manual, you find the location of the culprits, replace them and the car is back to normal again. But sometimes, you will need the Elimination method to be sure that the component pointed at by the scanner is truly faulty. If the scanner says the culprit is no response of oxygen sensor to the engine ECU, it could be a broken wire that caused the loss of signal of the sensor to the ECU. If you quickly rush and buy the o2 sensor without testing the sensor with DMM (Digital MulitiMeter) to be sure the sensor is faulty, you will end up wasting the money and the problem will remain. If you test and findout that the sensor is reading the factory values with the DMM, then the problem must be with the connection: a broken wire, sensor socket corrosion, etc. Most times, you maynot have to spend a dime to fix a serious issue with a car when elimination method diagnosis is applied.

One good thing about Peugeot is that all the wires in their vehicles are numbered (numbers are stamped on them, for easier identification). Thats how it will appear on the wiring diagram too. With the wiring diagram, you will know where each wire in the engine bay is coming from and going to. You can even build a new engine harness (engine wires, from engine ECU to the engine sensors) in every Peugeot car yourself, if you have the wiring diagram.

As you can see, one fixing his car is not a big deal. You will even do it better than anyone else. With elimination method, it will get to a point when you will have all the factory values of the engine sensors off head. You will even become a Guru within a short while. grin

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 1:31am On Aug 05, 2012
I want to share with everyone my experience with my 505 V6 in September last year, 2011, when i travelled with it to East, to spend 4 days and drive back to Abuja.

I set out for the trip on Saturday, 03/09/2011 & got to my parents house peacefully. I stayed with them for 3 days & decided to visit other people on Tuesday 06/09/2011,before i would return back to Abuja the next day 07/09/2011. I drove out in the morning of Tuesday, 06/09/2011 & drove straight to Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, to visit a relation of mine there, a Staff, who have been looking forward to see my newly acquired 505 V6. I finished with my relation & drove off to visit other relations at Enugu town, which is about 90km, about 1hr drive on a Onitsha - Enugu Expressway. Half way, something terrible, a near death experience, happened to me.

Its a divided 4-lane expressway/highway. But because one side of the road was too bad, ever vehicle was now using 2-lane (face me & face you). There was this on-coming vehicle from afar, a Truck/lorry, & a 18 seater Toyota mini Bus (aka Hummer), full with passengers, was following the truck behind, wanted to overtake the truck. All of a sudden, the Bus driver lost patience in waiting for me to pass before it would overtake the truck. The Bus entered my lane trying to overtake the Truck before i would reach them. But i was already so close to the truck for the Bus driver to have made that move. It was as if it was a joke. We were both facing each other (both our vehicles). we were few meters from colliding/crashing into each other, face to face. He thought he could accelerate fast, overtake the truck and swerve back to his lane before i could reach them. But he was wrong; too late for him to realize his poor judgement. Few feets away in colliding with the Bus, I swereved out of the road & Hell was let loosed! The two tyres on the right side (front & rear) jump onto the side of the road (the tared road was too high from the untared side of the road) which was full with gravels/stones. The car lost control, still on top speed. The car tail shifted by the left, the front end pushed to the right. The car repeatedly was moving sideways and back, to & fro. The right side 2 tryes were still on the untared road while all that was happening, making screeching loud noise, the passengers in that Bus were screeming. I thought the car would somersault. Those same moments, there was an explosion! The car, all of sudden on its own, became stable again. I steered back to the road & the speed by then had started to reduce. All those while, i didnt touch the brake. I allowed the steering wheel to be steering the car itself (no input from me) & the car was steering itself sideways & the car became stale again all by itself. Wonders shall never end! The car came to a halt when i finally applied brake, though the steering wheel was vibrating all those seconds it was happening. I parked & came out. Went round the car. The right front tyre was the cause of that explosion i heard and the source of the steering wheel vibration. It was flat. The edge of the road must have punctured the tyre when it jumped from the road to the untared roads, full with pieces of small stone/gravel and very unlevel ground. All these happened in seconds. In seconds, my car would have somersaulted; in seconds, i would have lost the car; in seconds, i would have been a History! All, if not for the PEUGEOT 505 V6, would have happened!

I could hear the occupants of the Bus wailing inside the Bus as the Bus was fading, believeing that something terrible must have happened to the 505 & whoever was driving it. The noise from the screeching of the tyres was too loud for any living being around to hear. The Driver of the Bus didnt stopped. He was too scared to face what he caused, if something had happened, I believed.

I waited for my spirit to come back. After some mins, jacked the car, removed & put the spare tyre. Continued with the the journey to Enugu, got to my destination, drove straight to Coal camp, bought another brand new tyre & replaced the damaged one with it, since I would be driving back to Abuja the next day. This was one of the 4 brand new Tyres i replaced 3 days before I set out for the trip. Hmm! Anyway, the next day, i drove off again, back to Abuja, which was 7 hrs highspeed highway drive (532 km). Life on the highway!

It was when i got back from the trip, to Abuja, that i reflected on what really happened that day. First, God played a role that day in the event (Gods miracle). Two, 505 miracle! Then 3, my long experience with highway driving (always be ready with quick decision with unexpected/eventuality on a highway). If I wasnt experience enough, I would have touched the brake pedal when the car lost control for a while & that would have made the car to completely lose control. But like I said, God made it possible by taking control of the steering wheel, the tyres, the complete car while it was moving side by side.

That day, that afternoon, it was face to face with death, prevented by God & my 505. I have driven so many cars & knew how they
would
have behaved in such incidence, even on a little incident, with low speed. But this, i couldnt imagine what would have happened if it wasnt the 505. I know what i have suffered in the hands of this car since i owned it, trying to fix numerious issues it came with. But that day made me realised its all worth it! I have had accident twice before, with non Peugeots, with just little incidents not even close the deadly one of this nature. One, i was the one driving. The other, I was been driven. That incident on the 06/09/2011 made me realised one thing " i sowed & reaped something valuable".

The nature of our highways was what made me to change my mind from purchasing quick 505 GTI I4 (ZDJL) & instead, chose a quicker one,a 505 V6 (ZN3J), a fast accelerating car that would be able to overtake a long queue of trucks on our highways in 2 or 3 seconds. If the Bus had had a fast accelerating engine, that incident wouldnt have happened. But a driver should be experience enough to know how good the engine of a car he is driving is in acceleration before he makes such move to overtake a long truck or queue of trucks when there is an on-coming vehicle. Patience is what & all it takes for a driver to keep himself alive whenever he or she is on a highway. Not everyone driving a car on a highway knows this. Besides, not everyone on a steering wheel is a Driver anyway.

Not every car , even the newer ones, can handle as good as the predictable 505 V6 in an unpredictable situation. I used to believe in "Always go for a Reliable car". But since that incident with that car, the perception has changed. I love Long distance driving. In fact, ist a hobby to me. For that, all i care about to have is a car that is designed for highway, no matter how unreliable people would claim the car to be. Each time i look at that car; each time i remember that I own such a French car; each time i remember I own such Lion, I would just smile. I couldnt help it but to name it MY BABY!

I dont know about you and your experience with your Lion. Good or bad, lets share it.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 7:28am On Aug 05, 2012
Ikenna351: I want to share with everyone my experience with my 505 V6 in September last year, 2011, when i travelled with it to East, to spend 4 days and drive back to Abuja.

I set out for the trip on Saturday, 03/09/2011 & got to my parents house peacefully. I stayed with them for 3 days & decided to visit other people on Tuesday 06/09/2011,before i would return back to Abuja the next day 07/09/2011. I drove out in the morning of Tuesday, 06/09/2011 & drove straight to Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, to visit a relation of mine there, a Staff, who have been looking forward to see my newly acquired 505 V6. I finished with my relation & drove off to visit other relations at Enugu town, which is about 90km, about 1hr drive on a Onitsha - Enugu Expressway. Half way, something terrible, a near death experience, happened to me.

Its a divided 4-lane expressway/highway. But because one side of the road was too bad, ever vehicle was now using 2-lane (face me & face you). There was this on-coming vehicle from afar, a Truck/lorry, & a 18 seater Toyota mini Bus (aka Hummer), full with passengers, was following the truck behind, wanted to overtake the truck. All of a sudden, the Bus driver lost patience in waiting for me to pass before it would overtake the truck. The Bus entered my lane trying to overtake the Truck before i would reach them. But i was already so close to the truck for the Bus driver to have made that move. It was as if it was a joke. We were both facing each other (both our vehicles). we were few meters from colliding/crashing into each other, face to face. He thought he could accelerate fast, overtake the truck and swerve back to his lane before i could reach them. But he was wrong; too late for him to realize his poor judgement. Few feets away in colliding with the Bus, I swereved out of the road & Hell was let loosed! The two tyres on the right side (front & rear) jump onto the side of the road (the tared road was too high from the untared side of the road) which was full with gravels. The car lost control, still at top speed. The car tail shifted by the left, the front end pushed to the right. The car repeatedly was moving sideways and back, to & fro. The right side 2 tryes were still on the untared road while all that was happening, making screeching loud noise, the passengers in that Bus were screeming. I thought the car would somersault. Those same moments, there was an explosion! The car, all of sudden on its own, became stable again. I steered back to the road & the speed by then had started to reduce. All those while, i didnt touch the brake. I allowed the steering wheel to be steering the car itself (no input from me) & the car was steering itself sideways & the car became stale again all by itself. Wonders shall never end! The car came to a halt when i finally applied brake, though the steering wheel was vibrating all those seconds it was happening. I parked & came out. Went round the car. The right front tyre was the cause of that explosion i heard and the source of the steering wheel vibration. It was flat. The edge of the road must have punctured the tyre when it jumped from the road to the untared roads, full with pieces of small stone/gravel and very unlevel ground. All these happened in seconds. In seconds, my car would have somersaulted; in seconds, i would have lost the car; in seconds, i would have been become a History! All, if not for the PEUGEOT 505 V6, would have happened!

I could hear the occupants of the Bus wailing inside the Bus as the Bus was fading, believeing that something terrible must have happened to the 505 & whoever was driving it. The noise from the screeching of the tyres was too loud for any living being around to hear. The Driver of the Bus didnt stopped. He was too scared to face what he caused, if something had happened, I believed.

I waited for my spirit to come back after some mins, jacked the car, removed & put the spare tyre. Continued with the the journey to Enugu, got to my destination, drove straight to Coal camp, bought another brand new tyre & replaced the damaged one with it, since I would be driving back to Abuja the next day. This was one of the 4 brand new Tyres i replaced 3 days before I set out for the trip. Hmm! Anyway, the next day, i drove off again, back to Abuja, which was 7 hrs highspeed highway drive (532 km). Life on the highway!

It was when i got back from the trip, to Abuja, that i reflected on what really happened that day. First, God played a role that day in the event (Gods miracle). Two, 505 miracle! Then 3, my long experience with highway driving (always be ready with quick decision with unexpected/eventuality on a highway). If I wasnt experience enough, I would have touched the brake pedal when the car lost control for a while & that would have made the car to completely lose control. But like I said, God made it possible by taking control of the steering wheel, the tyres, the complete car while it was moving side by side.

That day, that afternoon, it was face to face with death, prevented by God & my 505. I have driven so many cars & knew how they
would
have behaved in such incidence, even on a little incident, with low speed. But this, i couldnt imagine what would have happened if it wasnt 505. I know what i have suffered in the hands of this car since i owned it, trying to fix numerious issues it came with. But that day made me realised its all worth it! I have had accident twice before, with non Peugeots, with just little incidents not even close the deadly one of this nature. One, i was the one driving, the other.That incident on the 06/09/2011 made me realised one thing " i sowed & reaped something valuable".

The nature of our highways was what made me to change my mind from purchasing quick 505 GTI I4 (ZDJL) & instead, chose a quicker 505 V6 (ZN3J), that will be quicker enough, when needed, to overtake a long queue of trucks on our highways. If the Bus had had a fast accelerating engine, that incident wouldnt have happened. But a driver should be experience enough to know how good the engine of a car he is driving is in acceleration before he makes such move to overtake a long truck or queue of trucks when there is an on-coming vehicle. Patience is what & all it takes for a driver to keep himself alive whenever he or she is on a highway. Not everyone driving a car on a highway knows this. Besides, not everyone on a steering wheel is a Driver.

Not every car , even the modern ones, can handle as good as predictable as 505 in an unpredictable situation. I used to believe in "Always go for a Reliable car". But since that incident with that car, the perception has changed. I love Long distance driving. In fact, ist a hobby to me. For that, all i care about to have is a car that is designed for highway, no matter how unreliable people would claim the car would be. Each time i look at that car; each time i remember that I ownsuch a French car, I would just smile. I couldnt help it but to name it MY BABY!

I dont know about you and your experience with your Lion. Good or bad, lets share it.

Ikenna.

Nice one, Thank God for your life.
We really learn everyday I would definitely have stepped on my brake in that situation.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ogbajie(m): 9:11am On Aug 06, 2012
Ikenna351:

I wont advice anyone to buy auto trans 406. Reviews from previous owners showed that most of their auto trans failed before 100,000 km. The auto tranny, AL4, in phase 2 406 is very smooth and sportier to drive, but the most unreliable. Though its rebuildable. Whether it can be done well in Nigeria, is what I do not know, unless if Nisspart can also rebuild 406 auto trans. If not, you are on your own. In Australia, the phase 2 406 auto trans owners dont wait for the transmission to fail on them before rebuilding them. Even transmission sensor failure or when about to fail, will put the car in Limp mode.

Days were gone when Peugeot used reliable auto transmission on their cars: the ZF auto Transmissions. The 3-speed auto tranny (ZF 3HP22) was the most reliable of them. It was used on 404 (American spec), 504 and the early 505(phase 1) as optional. The facelifted 505 (phase 2) had 4-speed auto tranny (ZF 4HP22) as optional as well.

I dont understand what you mean by "not very stable"? The unreliability of 406 auto tranny has nothing to do with stability or non-stability of the car, when in motion. I really dont understand the question.

Ikenna.

you actually answered my question. By stability, i meant durability of the car with regard to issues emanating from the automatic transmission. I guess i will stick to the manual on the 406 while i enjoy the auto on my toyota. Thanks so much.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ogbajie(m): 9:25am On Aug 06, 2012
Ikenna351: I want to share with everyone my experience with my 505 V6 in September last year, 2011, when i travelled with it to East, to spend 4 days and drive back to Abuja.

Its a divided 4-lane expressway/highway. But because one side of the road was too bad, ever vehicle was now using 2-lane (face me & face you). There was this on-coming vehicle from afar, a Truck/lorry, & a 18 seater Toyota mini Bus (aka Hummer), full with passengers, was following the truck behind, wanted to overtake the truck. All of a sudden, the Bus driver lost patience in waiting for me to pass before it would overtake the truck. The Bus entered my lane trying to overtake the Truck before i would reach them. But i was already so close to the truck for the Bus driver to have made that move. It was as if it was a joke. We were both facing each other (both our vehicles). we were few meters from colliding/crashing into each other, face to face. He thought he could accelerate fast, overtake the truck and swerve back to his lane before i could reach them. But he was wrong; too late for him to realize his poor judgement. Few feets away in colliding with the Bus, I swereved out of the road & Hell was let loosed! The two tyres on the right side (front & rear) jump onto the side of the road (the tared road was too high from the untared side of the road) which was full with gravels. The car lost control, still at top speed. The car tail shifted by the left, the front end pushed to the right. The car repeatedly was moving sideways and back, to & fro. The right side 2 tryes were still on the untared road while all that was happening, making screeching loud noise, the passengers in that Bus were screeming. I thought the car would somersault. Those same moments, there was an explosion! The car, all of sudden on its own, became stable again. I steered back to the road & the speed by then had started to reduce. All those while, i didnt touch the brake. I allowed the steering wheel to be steering the car itself (no input from me) & the car was steering itself sideways & the car became stale again all by itself. Wonders shall never end! The car came to a halt when i finally applied brake, though the steering wheel was vibrating all those seconds it was happening. I parked & came out. Went round the car. The right front tyre was the cause of that explosion i heard and the source of the steering wheel vibration. It was flat. The edge of the road must have punctured the tyre when it jumped from the road to the untared roads, full with pieces of small stone/gravel and very unlevel ground. All these happened in seconds. In seconds, my car would have somersaulted; in seconds, i would have lost the car; in seconds, i would have been become a History! All, if not for the PEUGEOT 505 V6, would have happened!

I waited for my spirit to come back after some mins, jacked the car, removed & put the spare tyre. Continued with the the journey to Enugu, got to my destination, drove straight to Coal camp, bought another brand new tyre & replaced the damaged one with it, since I would be driving back to Abuja the next day. This was one of the 4 brand new Tyres i replaced 3 days before I set out for the trip. Hmm! Anyway, the next day, i drove off again, back to Abuja, which was 7 hrs highspeed highway drive (532 km). Life on the highway!

would
have behaved in such incidence, even on a little incident, with low speed. But this, i couldnt imagine what would have happened if it wasnt 505. I know what i have suffered in the hands of this car since i owned it, trying to fix numerious issues it came with. But that day made me realised its all worth it! I have had accident twice before, with non Peugeots, with just little incidents not even close the deadly one of this nature. One, i was the one driving, the other.That incident on the 06/09/2011 made me realised one thing " i sowed & reaped something valuable".

The nature of our highways was what made me to change my mind from purchasing quick 505 GTI I4 (ZDJL) & instead, chose a quicker 505 V6 (ZN3J), that will be quicker enough, when needed, to overtake a long queue of trucks on our highways. If the Bus had had a fast accelerating engine, that incident wouldnt have happened. But a driver should be experience enough to know how good the engine of a car he is driving is in acceleration before he makes such move to overtake a long truck or queue of trucks when there is an on-coming vehicle. Patience is what & all it takes for a driver to keep himself alive whenever he or she is on a highway. Not everyone driving a car on a highway knows this. Besides, not everyone on a steering wheel is a Driver.

Not every car , even the modern ones, can handle as good as predictable as 505 in an unpredictable situation. I used to believe in "Always go for a Reliable car". But since that incident with that car, the perception has changed. I love Long distance driving. In fact, ist a hobby to me. For that, all i care about to have is a car that is designed for highway, no matter how unreliable people would claim the car would be. Each time i look at that car; each time i remember that I ownsuch a French car, I would just smile. I couldnt help it but to name it MY BABY!

Ikenna.
I bless God for saving you over that incident. I believe you are a very confident driver and also your "baby" was a lot more balanced than you will see in most cars. the steering Control you experience driving a 406 as in my case, has really informed my decision to stick to it. keep sharing the testimony bro...God loves u
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by samoy(m): 7:27am On Aug 09, 2012
Thumbs up for d work u're doing Ikenna. Pls,my 406 steering shakes when i'm at 100km and above but my car is non-converted;its PAN. Pls,what might be d problem and possible solution to this. Also,my car displays ABS fault when d engine is started.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:50am On Aug 09, 2012
samoy: Thumbs up for d work u're doing Ikenna. Pls,my 406 steering shakes when i'm at 100km and above but my car is non-converted;its PAN. Pls,what might be d problem and possible solution to this. Also,my car displays ABS fault when d engine is started.

Have you done wheel balancing on the 4 wheels? That should stop the vibration, as long as none of your tyres is wombling and that your front end bushings are ok.

As for the ABS, did someone tampered with the wheel sensors, the last time you worked on any of the wheels?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by midpoint: 3:27pm On Aug 09, 2012
Ikenna351:

Have you done wheel balancing on the 4 wheels? That should stop the vibration, as long as none of your tyres is wombling and that your front end bushings are ok.

As for the ABS, did someone tampered with the wheel sensors, the last time you worked on any of the wheels?

Ikenna.

what if the tyres are wobbling. what could be wrong?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:26am On Aug 10, 2012
midpoint:

what if the tyres are wobbling. what could be wrong?

A faulty tyre(s) or wheel(s).

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by samoy(m): 6:49am On Aug 11, 2012
Thanks for d reply Ikenna. My lion has been so fantastic especially on a journey. Pls, wat are d other routine checks 2 be done on d lion asides changing d engine oils,fuel filter, oil filter and d plugs? Can u also post d pix of EW10 engine so as to know if mine is EW10? Thanks
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:47am On Aug 11, 2012
samoy: Thanks for d reply Ikenna. My lion has been so fantastic especially on a journey. Pls, wat are d other routine checks 2 be done on d lion asides changing d engine oils,fuel filter, oil filter and d plugs? Can u also post d pix of EW10 engine so as to know if mine is EW10? Thanks

You will find images of various 406 engines in the link below, which was provided by Thomasjohn

https://www.nairaland.com/973041/peugeot-406-ew10-engine-against#11249041

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by samoy(m): 9:08am On Aug 11, 2012
Ikenna351:

You will find images of various 406 engines in the link below, which was provided by Thomasjohn

https://www.nairaland.com/973041/peugeot-406-ew10-engine-against#11249041

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by samoy(m): 9:11am On Aug 11, 2012
Ikenna,u've not answered my question concerning other routine checks apart from changing engine oil,oil filter, fuel filter and d plugs. Waiting 4 d reply. Thanks
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 1:41pm On Aug 11, 2012
samoy: Ikenna,u've not answered my question concerning other routine checks apart from changing engine oil,oil filter, fuel filter and d plugs. Waiting 4 d reply. Thanks

Hmm! What you are asking will take a whole day to list out & explain. I will make out time to do that, but might not be today.

Well, one of them is your brake pads. You dont have to wait till you start hearing friction sound whenever you apply brake, or when you have a total brake failure, before you replace the pads. As the pads gradually wear out, the brake pedal will be going half way down before the brake will be effective. So, as soon as you notice that the brake pedal goes down beyond were it used to stop for the brake to work, you then know what to do. A small touch of my foot on my 505 V6 pedal halts the car. Besides, i rarely use the brake. I brake the car often with engine brake, since its manual, which must only work if you give vehicles before you enough distance when in the city (no bumper to bumper).

There is difference between brake pad wear and air in the brake system. Both will give the same symptom on the brake pedal, though a little bit different, depending on how experience you are. Air in the system will give you a different feel on your foot while depressing the brake pedal. Also, you can know when air is in the system, instead of worn pads, via stopping distance braked to stop.

If you keep using the brake when the pedal goes half way or waydown to the floor before the brake work, then the master cylinder will die soon. Why? The more the master cylinder pinion goes in, the faster the seal & the pinion wear. Including the wheel caliper pinions. If the caliper pinion pushes out too much, because of the pad wear, the tendency of the pinion to rust will be high, since the it has been exposed to dirt, water, sand, etc. When it rust, it wont go back when brake is applied, hence, the pad of that wheel will start binding the rotor, which will kill or wear out the rotor/brake disk faster. So you will now have so many components to replace, just because you ignored sign of brake pad wear - PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by eamodu(m): 9:36am On Aug 13, 2012
I av a 406 wit a EW10 engine.i was avin gear problems.was unable 2 use,gear 1,4n 5.i wast told it was d gear cable.so i changed it.n d problem continued.so i was asked 2 change d gearbox,did dat also.but stil avin d gear problems.nw am bin told dat d gear cable i bought was bad.am tired of spendin money.wat should i do pls?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:35pm On Aug 13, 2012
eamodu: I av a 406 wit a EW10 engine.i was avin gear problems.was unable 2 use,gear 1,4n 5.i wast told it was d gear cable.so i changed it.n d problem continued.so i was asked 2 change d gearbox,did dat also.but stil avin d gear problems.nw am bin told dat d gear cable i bought was bad.am tired of spendin money.wat should i do pls?

Are you in Abuja? If yes, I will have to see the car & check it myself to really know what the issue is.

But did they check the gear selectors/linkages before replacing the cable & the gearbox? The 2 gearboxes giving the same failure symptoms is weird.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by eamodu(m): 8:30pm On Aug 13, 2012
Ikenna351:

Are you in Abuja? If yes, I will have to see the car & check it myself to really know what the issue is.

But did they check the gear selectors/linkages before replacing the cable & the gearbox? The 2 gearboxes giving the same failure symptoms is weird.

Ikenna
.am not in abuja.d is no leakage.som1 told me,its hard n difficult 4 a 406 2 develop gearbox problems.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:39am On Aug 14, 2012
eamodu: .am not in abuja.d is no leakage.som1 told me,its hard n difficult 4 a 406 2 develop gearbox problems.

I said linkages or gear selector rods & fibers, not leakage.

If your clutch cable starts failing, the clutch pedal will be very heavy to depress. If the gear 2 & 3 could enter, then the issue is not the cable.

Like i earlier noted, there is no way 2 manual gearboxes will be giving you identical symptom. This is not auto tranny we are talking about. For the record, manual gearbox could outlive the entire car itself, as long as the correct manual tranny oil doesnt lack in the transmission.

Like i said, i cant tell from your description of the problem what is really wrong. Your explanation was not detailed. Can you in, complete words, explain the issue(s) with the 2 gearboxes, if any difference.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ogbajie(m): 9:19am On Aug 14, 2012
Ikenna, pls re u in abuja? if so, may i hav ur contact number or address so that u can have a physical overview of the problems am experiencing. thanks.....
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 12:43pm On Aug 14, 2012
Ogbajie: Ikenna, pls re u in abuja? if so, may i hav ur contact number or address so that u can have a physical overview of the problems am experiencing. thanks.....

Check my signature. My contact is there. Mail will be cheaper for you to reach me. Find it below:

e-mail: ikenna351@gmail.com
phone: 08052811236

Please, do know that am not a mechanic. The knowledge I have is what i gathered working on my car(s) and years of experience of driving. So, I maynot be able to fix all Injection related problems, without first studying the Injection & Electrical system of the car in question. I work with Electrical and workshop manuals.

Anyway, I look forward to meet you.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:47pm On Aug 14, 2012
anyone had a problem with a 307 BSI unit we ended up selling the car at the auction and it went for £300

the bsi unit controls the central locking, immobilser, windows, mileage on the odometer etc

the unit sometimes corrupts its self and there is a procedure to reset, we didnt know that so we got an ECU with its BSI unit and the keys and swapped with the ones on car

the car started fine but the moment you close the doors even when the car is running it would look itself up and the windows were not working to lower or rise had to press the window switches and at the same time pressing the remote control
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 6:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
For every French car owner,

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php

I encourage that you register in the forum. Its an Australian French car Forums: Peugeot, Renault, Citroen, Simca, etc. You can get your car electric and workshop manual from the forum for free, as long as you are a member. You also meet Peugeot freaks there who can tell you, in a second, what is wrong with your Lion and simple, easy and cheaper way of fixing it.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by karaye: 4:28pm On Aug 16, 2012
What is immobilized in Peugeot ikenna ,
Ikenna351: For every French car owner,

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php

I encourage that you register in the forum. Its an Australian French car Forums: Peugeot, Renault, Citroen, Simca, etc. You can get your car electric and workshop manual from the forum for free, as long as you are a member. You also meet Peugeot freaks there who can tell you, in a second, what is wrong with your Lion and simple, easy and cheaper way of fixing it.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
karaye: What is immobilized in Peugeot ikenna ,

This has been treated. Start from the begining, you will find it.

You can as well google it. Its a peculiar issue with with 406 phase 2, due to the BSI (Phase 1 is non-BSI).

From what i have gathered, people trigger on the immobilizer lit on the Instrument cluster by themselves, out of ignorance. Stop slamming your 406 doors. It could trigger it. Close the door(s) gently. Remember, this is not 504. Always make sure the doors are closed before switching on the ignition or clanking/starting the engine/car. The BSI unit in the phase 2 406 is very sensitive.

Also, avoid removing your car battery terminal heads, every now and then (especially for those that like lending people their car battery). Only do that when you have no other choice. A small spark on the battery terminal heads could damage the BSI unit and immobilized the car.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100) (Reply)

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.