Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,213 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan (13397 Views)

Going To The West To Beg As Victims Can't Solve Our Problems - Okonji-Iweala / "It's Going To Be A Very Difficult Year," Ngozi Okonji Iweala (CNN) / Rivers Govt Replies Okonji-iweala On Missing $5B From Excess Crude Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by ozoebuka1(m): 11:43am On Jul 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

um . . . I think you should keep up with your own logic.

I could now from your follow up say something like "The wicked reps are also imperfect beings striving towards perfection -- and you can't just forget the good works they have done just because of one little mistake. . . " Do you think that sounds about right?

Impeachment has nothing to do with killing anyone. If you cannot do the job, the company firing you as a result does not mean the company holds a grudge against you or that you are evil or something. It is simply a matter of looking at the numbers. If you are too expensive to keep aboard, they get rid of you, hire someone else who can do a better job and life goes on.
That is what impeachment is about. That seat no be any person papa property, and so do not expect that there is a guarantee of some sort that you must sit tight, no matter how bad you are, in that seat until when you want to leave it.

By the way, there is no such thing as one little mistake, especially when it comes to the ruling of 150 million lives.
you should ask ursef these questions...1.what was this womans intention when she asked the fg to remove fuel subsidy did she have bad or good intention? good 2.did she actualize most of her dreams? yes -farouk and co. 3.the removal of the fuel subsidy, who suffered most of the pain, the thieves or the masses? the thieves. after u must have answered those questions, u will know if we should be thanking okonji or critizing her and if we should be asking those thieves to stop advisin gej or to continue... in the case of imperfection, okonji neva wanted to harm anybody but she ended up doing that just because she is a humanbeing -she must not be 100percent efficient-. but those reps are harming us not because they are imperfect but because they are wicked and unmannered...they are just selfish!
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by franksunny(m): 11:43am On Jul 30, 2012
The end will be an illusion, Abrakadabra that common man will not understand.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by johnlittle: 11:44am On Jul 30, 2012
Where did the house of rep member generate his own figure from? No oversight, no probe, no summons, no public hearing, no resolution of the House to that effect and somebody elected from one bush constituency in the North jumps out to say 36 % and some dunce on NL take this serious. This is why I hate coming to NL. So much gullibility.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Mrchippychappy(m): 11:44am On Jul 30, 2012
Ufeolorun:
Okonjo Iweala has got no verifiable antecedents on major economic or financial issues she just throw the name of the world bank around.
What exactly she was doing at the world bank is still a mystery but its becoming glaring now that she's a fake and failed 'economist'. I feel strongly obj throw her out because the likes of murkter,bode augusto,soludo made obj realize how empty she is.
We are in trouble but this impeachment threat gives me hope, too much incompetence in one place.

According to wiki "Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (born June 13, 1954) is a globally renowned Nigerian economist best known for her two terms as Finance Minister of Nigeria (her current position) and for her work at the World Bank, including several years as one of its Managing Directors (October 2007–July 2011)" but according to your post she is not good enough to manage the financial problems Nigeria has right ? FYI the "mysterious" job she did at the worldbank was being one of the MDs. The same Okonjo Iweala that:

1.single-handedly cleared our debts worth $18billion with the Paris club (or maybe you were still a baby back then)

2.obtained Nigeria's FIRST EVER BB minus rating with Standard and poors ,
3. worked with world bank for years as one of the MDs but somehow she is not good enough for the job of Nigeria's Minister of Finance right ?

You guys should do some research first before coming here to talk garbage
. FYI before you label me "40 computer #30" you should look back at my past posts , just yesterday i was criticizing GEJ for the Cassava bread "thingy" . I am not PRO or ANTI GEJ but i believe its time we remove sentiments and call black-black and white-white . Okonjo Iweala is MORE THAN CAPABLE of handling the financial situation in Nigeria and she has done just that , The reason the average Nigerian or masses can't feel the changes is because of the corrupt system and we cannot blame Okonjo Iweala for the system

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by ozoebuka1(m): 11:47am On Jul 30, 2012
aribisala0: What good works has she done that are relevant here?
If u dont know the good works she has done, just enter www.google.com and write "What are the good works of okonji in the nigerian economy"..mtcheww!
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by ldpele(m): 11:47am On Jul 30, 2012
PointB:

So it now claims and counter claims?

Anyway, I believe the NOI figure, let the Reps 'prove' their figures!
seconded
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by waja(m): 11:48am On Jul 30, 2012
PointB: Between a world renown Economist, and a political spokesman, do we need to worry about who is on point on economic issue?
If not for sentiments, and bigotry, the difference is very clear!
. Always on point dear. May God's wisdom never depart.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Naijagunner83: 11:52am On Jul 30, 2012
dedeike: Profile in excellence which haters and ignorance cannot wish away.

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
The undisputable power-house in the Jonathan administration, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, who doubles as the Coordinating Minister for Economy and Minister of Finance, no doubt, added credibility to the cabinet based on her formidable credentials locally and internationally.

A stickler for probity and excellence, Okonjo-Iweala’s persistent campaign for the effective management of the nation’s resources informed the government’s decision to adopt fiscal discipline, cut down on waste, and rein in debt and the budget deficit, especially in the 2012 budget.

This resulted in slight reduction of recurrent expenditure this year. Her target, however, is to cut recurrent spending to about 65 per cent of the total budget by 2015 so that more resources can be deployed on capital projects.

The minister, who narrowly lost her bid for the presidency of World Bank, has worked on rebuilding the nation’s decimated savings in the Excess Crude Account (ECA), which currently stands at $4.3 billion, and this is despite the monthly withdrawals by the three tiers of government. She has also been in negotiations with the 36 states of the federation to start up the Sovereign Wealth Fund as a replacement for the ECA.

Under her watch, the government established the Subsidy Re-investment Programme, through which savings accruing to the three tiers of government from the partial removal of the subsidy on petrol, can be deployed to projects. In her bid to keep the public informed on the savings, her ministry each month publishes the figures accruing to the federal, states and local governments under SURE-P.

The finance minister is carrying out bio metric evaluation of federal civil servants  to reduce waste. The exercise is yoelding fruits as it uncovered the pension scam of over 32 billion. The scam involved Abubakar Kigo, a former perm sec at the office of the head of civil service of the federation and 5 others. There is the new integrated online payment system which helps the minister monitor transfer of public funds from CBN.
This system also ensures that suspicious allocations in the budget are blocked.
Corrupt minds are not happy with these stringent measures hence the outcry

This woman's record and achievement speaks for her . I cannot believe any of those politicians in the House of Reps more than this woman. It's rather too impossible. For all I care, those House assertions should be narrated to the marines.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Mrchippychappy(m): 11:53am On Jul 30, 2012
All of a sudden the same crooked corrupt House of reps are now saints in the eyes of Nairalanders right ? And yet we want Nigerian to change with all these tribal and partisan politics right ? I tire for una O!!!
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by jmaine: 11:56am On Jul 30, 2012
johnlittle: Where did the house of rep member generate his own figure from? No oversight, no probe, no summons, no public hearing, no resolution of the House to that effect and somebody elected from one bush constituency in the North jumps out to say 36 % and some dunce on NL take this serious. This is why I hate coming to NL. So much gullibility.

Mehn . . .I tire oh !!!
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by antitpiah: 11:56am On Jul 30, 2012
34% vs 56% . . . ewele ooooo

Nigerians are suffering
Okonjo Iweala is embezzling. . . More kilowatts to her elbow, I'd do the same if I were in her Ibotic shoes. No wonder she dey fat, i was wondering WTH?
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by antitpiah: 11:58am On Jul 30, 2012
Naijagunner83:

This woman's record and achievement speaks for her . I cannot believe any of those politicians in the House of Reps more than this woman. It's rather too impossible. For all I care, those House assertions should be narrated to the marines.

What record? Selling Nigeria to the Paris club? Removing subsidy at the detriment of our well being? Pray tell what has she done that is remarkable? How many jobs has she created?
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 30, 2012
Mehn, is Mr. Jonathan a weakling or what? Is it because he "Had NO Shoes", what's with all these Shoulder rubbing?

Can't understand what's going on...really, I can't.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by aribisala0(m): 12:00pm On Jul 30, 2012
NOI has a distinguished career at the World Bank .She studied economics at University and excelled as a MANAGER/BANKER/ADMINISTRATOR at the World Bank in the sector of Finance/Banking. She deserves credit and honour particularly as a woman and African as these might actually have worked to hinder her progress.
It is hyperbole to call her a World Renowned Economist as wikipedia has done and I am not aware of her publications which justify such "RENOWN" as an economist though she certainly has renown for other things.She has not had a lenghthy career as an "economist" and has not excelled in this area whether by way of publication or otherwise and we need not to get carried away in our desire to celebrate her.
I am not convinced that her previous achievements can or will translate into any outstanding benefit for Nigeria and this is in no way an indictment.The issue is Chloroquine is not the medicine for childnesses no matter how good Chloroquine is

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 30, 2012
The greatest problems in the country are coming from the leaders. The National assembly(being the making of law)is to blame the most. Now, what is military hangover?
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by HammedSodiqq: 12:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
This woman- Okonjo Iwala is more knowledgeable in finance and budget implementation, is the president doesn't listen to him, who should he listen to? Farouk, Hembe, GBAJABIAMILA or who? They are taking it too far.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 30, 2012
antitpiah:

What record? Selling Nigeria to the Paris club? Removing subsidy at the detriment of our well being? Pray tell what has she done that is remarkable? How many jobs has she created?
Don't just talk about that. Only few rich individuals benefit most to the detriment of the nation.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by aribisala0(m): 12:11pm On Jul 30, 2012
I think that is quite clear really.It is a tendency for the executive arm to presume supremacy over the legislature,to demand subordination,to resent and resist challenge and to expect that their proposals are "passed" unaltered.
The Presidential system is probably not right for Nigeria but that is what we have.We have seen the problems it has thrown up recently in the US with difficulty passing budgets,government shutdowns etc.
In short hangover is the tendency to operate or try to operate like military Heads of State and not realizing or ignoring constitutional limitations to Executive power
E.g the recent renaming of MAULAG and
the frequent sacking of LG chairmen etc
those are symptoms of hangover
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by whealthy(m): 12:21pm On Jul 30, 2012
Guess Nigerians are caught between the devil and the red sea, an underperforming executive and a rogue legislature.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by EBERENASAM(m): 12:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
I am nt a politician, but i just want to chip in dis advice to mr president because i love my country: pls stop listining to side talks dat wil jopadise ur political ambition but do what u promise Nigerians during ur campan. If NG'S advice z nt profitable to Nigerians and logical in presentation, then 4get it
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by PointB: 12:33pm On Jul 30, 2012
HammedSodiqq: This woman- Okonjo Iwala is more knowledgeable in finance and budget implementation, is the president doesn't listen to him, who should he listen to? Farouk, Hembe, GBAJABIAMILA or who? They are taking it too far.

Lol, God bless you for saying that.

Perhaps, Farouk will do a better job. But he has to wait until 2015!
Team GEJ is not going anywhere. Let haters tear their hearts out!
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Delafruita(m): 12:34pm On Jul 30, 2012
ozoebuka1: Most of us are undecisive... We cant even make a choice of our own! Just because those wicked reps told gej -be careful of okonjo's advice- weve already started critizing okonjo, isnt that woman try? gej should be at alert against those rep! aint they the the ones that want to impeach him... how can someone who wanna kill you be giving u good advice, huh? think! think!! and think!!
this is one of the most moronic comments i have ever read on nairaland.dude,you're absolutely ridiculous.who gives a damn who gives the retardeen advice?the only thing i care about is how those advices make my life better.its apparent iweala's advices are given without thoughts of how it will affect the downtrodden.the national assembly is an arm of government and the only one vested with powers to remove the president from office.nigeria isnt jonathan's fiefdom for him to do as he pleases.he must perform the duties required of him or risk been removed.
we know the house of reps has a bad reputation but in this case,they have my support
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by PointB: 12:38pm On Jul 30, 2012
aribisala0: I think that is quite clear really.It is a tendency for the executive arm to presume supremacy over the legislature,to demand subordination,to resent and resist challenge and to expect that their proposals are "passed" unaltered.
The Presidential system is probably not right for Nigeria but that is what we have.We have seen the problems it has thrown up recently in the US with difficulty passing budgets,government shutdowns etc.
In short hangover is the tendency to operate or try to operate like military Heads of State and not realizing or ignoring constitutional limitations to Executive power
E.g the recent renaming of MAULAG and
the frequent sacking of LG chairmen etc
those are symptoms of hangover

What is clearer is the recklessness, kleptomania, and entrenched corruption that have become synonymous with the Legislators, especially the lower house.

Search for a trustworthy Rep is akin to looking for a needle in a hay stack. Until the reps clean their acts, they will remain resented by the people. We are no fools. We see people fighting for their bellies, in the name of honorables!
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Baawaa(m): 12:51pm On Jul 30, 2012
It is very obvious that the house rep. are not fighting for the masses or the interest of this nation.But the fact is that,GEJ is a prodigal son and NOI is a bad adviser.Majority of us don't really know what bring impeachment or no impeachment!GEJ had squandered Billions of naira,which house is expecting is own share
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by PointB: 1:02pm On Jul 30, 2012
johnlittle: Where did the house of rep member generate his own figure from? No oversight, no probe, no summons, no public hearing, no resolution of the House to that effect and somebody elected from one bush constituency in the North jumps out to say 36 % and some dunce on NL take this serious. This is why I hate coming to NL. So much gullibility.

Pay a little more attention, and you will discover that bigotry, and ethnicism is the overriding rationale for most of these anti-GEJ goons.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Elueme: 1:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
The action of the house makes me cry for this nation.. Nigerians are gradually getting what they have been yearning since the efforts of the president are being denigrated on the alter of propaganda. Hope it's becoming clearer to the sane that there are more to this agitation than budget... NOI from the onset employed a tight fisted policy pertaining to the release of fund to avoid the culture of impunity as we had in previous admins.. If the house is sincere with the president on the fight against economic crime and wastage they shd show understanding.. With the events of recent weeks it only confirms my suspicion that powerful forces are against this govt succeeding in straightening certain loopholes. This is the time to stand behind our president to shame these elements who think Nigeria is within their whims and caprices
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Baawaa(m): 1:11pm On Jul 30, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

According to wiki "Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (born June 13, 1954) is a globally renowned Nigerian economist best known for her two terms as Finance Minister of Nigeria (her current position) and for her work at the World Bank, including several years as one of its Managing Directors (October 2007–July 2011)" but according to your post she is not good enough to manage the financial problems Nigeria has right ? FYI the "mysterious" job she did at the worldbank was being one of the MDs. The same Okonjo Iweala that:

1.single-handedly cleared our debts worth $18billion with the Paris club (or maybe you were still a baby back then)

2.obtained Nigeria's FIRST EVER BB minus rating with Standard and poors ,
3. worked with world bank for years as one of the MDs but somehow she is not good enough for the job of Nigeria's Minister of Finance right ?

You guys should do some research first before coming here to talk garbage
. FYI before you label me "40 computer #30" you should look back at my past posts , just yesterday i was criticizing GEJ for the Cassava bread "thingy" . I am not PRO or ANTI GEJ but i believe its time we remove sentiments and call black-black and white-white . Okonjo Iweala is MORE THAN CAPABLE of handling the financial situation in Nigeria and she has done just that ,
The reason the average Nigerian or masses can't feel the changes is because of the corrupt system and we cannot blame Okonjo Iweala for the system
[color=#990000][/color]
If she too is not corrupt,she suppose to resign and let Nigerians know the reasons she is doing so.Oh,that is not possible in Nigeria.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Naijagunner83: 1:11pm On Jul 30, 2012
Baawaa: It is very obvious that the house rep. are not fighting for the masses or the interest of this nation.But the fact is that,GEJ is a prodigal son and NOI is a bad adviser.Majority of us don't really know what bring impeachment or no impeachment!GEJ had squandered Billions of naira,which house is expecting is own share
Nogzi Okonjo Iweala is a bad advicer and you are the good advicer. I hear you. We must stop deceiving ourselves in this country. This crab mentality of govt is bad because I'm not there must be done away with for us to make any meaningful progress.
What makes Okonjo a bad advicer? this is a woman that has cut down recurrent expenditure, reduced domestic borrowing, increased our depleted foreign reserves again, doing bio metric and exposing massive scandals, tightening up the system thru proper monitoring of transfer of funds.
It is common knowledge that what is delaying budget implementation is her insistence to scrutinise every budgetary allocation before release of funds.She wants a departure from our past where budgets are over inflated and padded up by senior civil servants acting in connivance with some legislators.

One will ask, why the sudden hues and cries for speedy implementation of a budget passed in April before September, if not that some people are scared that the monies they padded up in the budget are stuck by the tough scrutiny of the minister.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by chucky234(m): 1:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
Billyonaire: It baffles me. If a world class economist known worldwide with 25yrs experience in the world bank job is criticized profusely by her own people, I think we need our heads examined.
We are just too sentimental int this part of the world, too bad you forget easily how that same first class economist failed under OBJ.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by aribisala0(m): 1:19pm On Jul 30, 2012
"Single Handedly Cleared nigeria's $18 billion Debt"?
Hmm. The woman generous no be small
But why she settle only Oyinbo creditor.
Local debt pass that one when she dey office naa! She no even look that side.Na wa O!
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by johnlittle: 1:24pm On Jul 30, 2012
aribisala0: "Single Handedly Cleared nigeria's $18 billion Debt"?
Hmm. The woman generous no be small
But why she settle only Oyinbo creditor.
Local debt pass that one when she dey office naa! She no even look that side.Na wa O!
The settlement of the Foriegn debts was more productive on the long run. It was in view of the debt relief that MDG was set up in Nigeria.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by aribisala0(m): 1:25pm On Jul 30, 2012
PointB:

What is clearer is the recklessness, kleptomania, and entrenched corruption that have become synonymous with the Legislators, especially the lower house.

Search for a trustworthy Rep is akin to looking for a needle in a hay stack. Until the reps clean their acts, they will remain resented by the people. We are no fools. We see people fighting for their bellies, in the name of honorables!
The reps are not clean but by and large the executive does the greater damage quite simply because they have access and control of these funds. e.g Ibori.

These problems will always be there if we continue with the presidential system and the Unitary government.The vision that led to the creation of Abuja is a miltary one.Truth is the FG cannot really make impact in peoples lives significantly and many FG institutions are wasteful

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Didn’t Withdraw 2016 Budget, Say Presidency / Photo Of The Quadruplet Delivered By Rachael Dickson, Governor Dickson's Wife / Ibrahim Idris Visits Family Of Late Francis Bolaji Odesanya (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.