Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:42 PM

Improving Low Gpa - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Improving Low Gpa (47962 Views)

Nigerian Sets Record, Scores 5.0 GPA In Russia.. / Emmanuel Ohuabunwa Earned 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University / What GPA Is 2nd Class Upper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Improving Low Gpa by Binty(f): 12:15am On Jul 31, 2012
Good day all ! I am a 100 level economics student in one of the universities in Nigeria After studing so hard for my first semester examinations and believing i passed i was so suprised to get a 1.96 gpa
pls i want some advice to get it back up because i have always wanted to get a first class is that even still possible for me ?Thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: Improving Low Gpa by Kayoski(m): 12:33am On Jul 31, 2012
2 be sincere wit u first class is out of it.jst dont give up believe in urself ,face ur God...u cud still get a second class upper..

1 Like

Re: Improving Low Gpa by Roseey0(f): 12:39am On Jul 31, 2012
Its one tin to read,and anotin to pass,making a gud result isnt only achieved frm jacking 24/7.You hv to undastand your lecturers and wat they want,work with past qstions,get the opinion of your seniors and get to knw how to go about diffrnt questions for diffrnt lecturer.U can make it if only u dont give up

6 Likes

Re: Improving Low Gpa by mrkels(m): 12:59am On Jul 31, 2012
Kayoski: 2 be sincere wit u first class is out of it.jst dont give up believe in urself ,face ur God...u cud still get a second class upper..
You may be wrong bro, in my year 1 I got a 4.72, I finally came out with a 2;1 but my friend who got 2.14 or so in year one came out with a 4.5cgpa finally. The op has got 3-4 yrs left and if he or she works very hard , first class could surface.
@op let me tell you why I almost failed out of school, after year 1 I moved out of the hostel to bpda,where u got big boys n girls, was always seen in beer parlors and getting a new girl every night was like a new mission to complete then in 200l. This happened almost everyday and in the end I failed woefully. Same thing happened in300l first semester but I later came to my senses in the second semester. I went back to the hostel in my finals, reduced my social life to the minimun and yes,sleep, I didn't know it anymore as I read day and nights, some nights I got back to the hostel by 5am, it was that bad my brother,but it paid in the end. It was my final year that allowed me get a 2:1 out of sch and I was lucky because in my time we used 5,15,25,55% rule, so the final year played an important role in shaping my cgpa. If this is applicable in your sch then you are likely to get a first class if you sit up right.just deprive urself from pleasure for now and the sky would be your starting point

8 Likes

Re: Improving Low Gpa by Cuddlemii: 2:52am On Jul 31, 2012
Binty: Good day all ! I am a 100 level computer science student in one of the universities in Nigeria After studing so hard for my first semester examinations and believing i passed i was so suprised to get a 1.96 gpa
pls i want some advice to get it back up because i have always wanted to get a first class is that even still possible for me ?Thanks in anticipation

If there was an option for you to repeat your first semester, I would have advised you to do so.

Do you have any failed courses you have to carry over? I am asking this because having a GPA of 1.96 is even the least of the problem, but having failed courses you have to carry over is the crux of the matter as it would draw down ur CGPA (with all the division involved with calculating CGPA) and increase your workload per semester, you might even have to drop some courses in the first semester of your second year to accommodate failed courses and the trend continues like that..

I can't really ascertain the probability of a 1st class except I have a better description of your result. The failed courses(If there is any) would help clarify. My advise for you is this, year 1 is the best time to get a very high GPA and then use your remainder years to maintain it so try as much as possible to concentrate solely on your school work this second semester of your first year. Read after every course taught and try to jot down key points during every lecture(ur subconscious mind would assimilate it as you write & at least give you an idea or help you memorize). Always attend tutorials with your peers & if possible pally up with a brain box in your class.

Best of luck, anything is possible with hard work!

3 Likes

Re: Improving Low Gpa by Binty(f): 6:09am On Jul 31, 2012
Thanks i actually have one carry-over course
Re: Improving Low Gpa by tonyx4x44(m): 10:34am On Jul 31, 2012
Listen to Mr lecturer- idris

2 Likes

Re: Improving Low Gpa by inspirenet: 10:36am On Jul 31, 2012
Kayoski: 2 be sincere wit u first class is out of it.jst dont give up believe in urself ,face ur God...u cud still get a second class upper..

wink
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Okijajuju1(m): 10:36am On Jul 31, 2012
1. Study Harder
2. Fhuck her lecturer.
3. Buy a degree

1 Like

Re: Improving Low Gpa by antitpiah: 10:38am On Jul 31, 2012
Binty: Good day all ! I am a 100 level computer science student in one of the universities in Nigeria After studing so hard for my first semester examinations and believing i passed i was so suprised to get a[b] 1.96 gpa [/b]

Thats nothing, I wouldnt worry about it. You seem to be on a downward spiral, if thats true, my advice for you is to come back here when you get to sub-1.3. For now, just continue to ask around what you can do to improve your GPA, fast if you can, make a nearby church your second home, stay away as far as possible from libraries and group study, dont study, dont focus just keep asking stupiddd questions around as if there is a miracle somewhere.

That said, I admire your initiative; your belief that somehow we have answers to your problems is really admirable.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Improving Low Gpa by tolupemi(m): 10:42am On Jul 31, 2012
we r almost on d same boat,i had a very low gp in my yr1,buh nw it is mkin sense,buh its a gradual process nd if u r doin a 5yr course ur chances r high,best of luck!
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Master6(m): 10:43am On Jul 31, 2012
Sup Einstein, aw u doing? I hope u r smart enough to tell sarcasm when u read it, if u can't' ( judging by ur gpa nd d fact dt u aint ashamed of ursef, should be yes), u can check a dictionary nd ask from hopefully smart friends.
U are really intelligent, nd I hope u'll get help soon.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Master6(m): 10:44am On Jul 31, 2012
Sup Einstein, aw u doing? I hope u r smart enough to tell sarcasm when u read it, if u can't' ( judging by ur gpa nd d fact dt u aint ashamed of ursef, should be yes), u can check a dictionary nd ask from hopefully smart friends.
U are really intelligent, nd I hope u'll get help soon.

Kudos to d mod dt pushd dis trash to d front page.(Nd I hope u can tell sarcasm 2)

1 Like

Re: Improving Low Gpa by stepo707: 10:46am On Jul 31, 2012
First class is no more possible but you can get a 2.1 but with so much handwork,meaning you need to get an A in almost all your courses henceforth till you graduate.Work with your seniors and understand each lecturers methodology and above all pray to God.All the best

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Improving Low Gpa by solgee(m): 10:46am On Jul 31, 2012
@op, Cuddlemii, have said it all. Please just take the advice very seriously. And do not forget the place of God in your life. Best of Luck!
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 31, 2012
Must we bring God into everything.A moral God will be going against his established laws helping you pass, when you've deliberately decided not to.@topic.change your study approach.It's nt about how long your study periods take but your effort and passion for it.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by slick1(m): 10:48am On Jul 31, 2012
A 1st class is stil possible. . .
Study wit past questions,undastand questions very well b4 u start answering in d exam hall,try as much as possible to cover at least 90% of ur course outlines . . Be rest assured u wil make it

1 Like

Re: Improving Low Gpa by antitpiah: 10:48am On Jul 31, 2012
solgee: @op, Cuddlemii, have said it all. Please just take the advice very seriously. And do not forget the place of God in your life. Best of Luck!

The same God that didnt stop her from finishing with 1.9 is now the same person you want her to approach for help?

4 Likes

Re: Improving Low Gpa by seledafti: 10:48am On Jul 31, 2012
Yes.....you can, remembered a friend with gpa of 1.02 at the end of first semester 100 level and came out with first class...so you can make it......

1 Like

Re: Improving Low Gpa by Okijajuju1(m): 10:49am On Jul 31, 2012
antitpiah:

The same God that didnt stop her from finishing with 1.9 is now the same person you want her to approach for help?

Even God sef tire for the matter!
Re: Improving Low Gpa by chemashie(m): 10:49am On Jul 31, 2012
Face ur studies, don‘t read hard but read smart. Never use past questions in the begining of ur semester cos it can limit ur ability to read wide most especially if d lecturer is suddenly changed. To be candid with u, first class isn‘t meant 4u again cos u blew it ursef.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by mykejones(m): 10:50am On Jul 31, 2012
Younglady..how r u?
Ur GPA is not so bad..since it isn't cummulated yet..ie..CGPA,meaning you dnt have much load yet.
My advice is this..split ur first semeter course for the second year and risk having an extra semester..u get?
It's possible you weren't exactly good with doing so many courses,and since you had just one CO,it means you had lots of D's and E's and few C's.
Risking an additional semester to salvage your CGPA ain't bad,and it isn't d end of the world.
If i had this orientation,i wouldn't have minded an extra year and coming out with something better.
And if you feel good about the workload..gud and fine..jus do something diffrent to what you did in your first year.
Goodluck!
NB: Trust me,first-class,if that's ur target,you can still make it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Improving Low Gpa by hypergig(m): 10:50am On Jul 31, 2012
[/color][color=#006600]Na cz u no sabi book if u sabi u go surely scale through..u are the typical case of someone who thinks he/she knows but in truth knows nothing..work hard nd quit blabbing
Re: Improving Low Gpa by lifestyle1(m): 10:51am On Jul 31, 2012
Uni is so easy,I heard that with 1.0 [/b]or less you can still be in the system... [b]1.96 in Nigerian Polytechnics is a probation mind you its over 4.0 and if you fail to meet up to 2.0 out of 4.0 in your second semester of Year 1 am afraid you will get your as.s kicked out.

Anyway I don't know much about the Uni system but
My advice for you is this ; make friends with the intelligent ones.

Best of luck!!
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Azumy(f): 10:58am On Jul 31, 2012
Roseey0: Its one tin to read,and anotin to pass,making a gud result isnt only achieved frm jacking 24/7.You hv to undastand your lecturers and wat they want,work with past qstions,get the opinion of your seniors and get to knw how to go about diffrnt questions for diffrnt lecturer.U can make it if only u dont give up
exactly!especially in a case where students write out of point all in the name of fulling the pages. There are some lecturers that like students to express them selves in their own words not "uploading and downloading".but most importantly praying to God for retentive memory nd understand as well as being focused! All the best.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by ednut1(m): 10:59am On Jul 31, 2012
seledafti: Yes.....you can, remembered a friend with gpa of 1.02 at the end of first semester 100 level and came out with first class...so you can make it......
guy u too dey lie, assumin ur friend got 5 points wich is nt possible, OP u no sabi book deal wit it
Re: Improving Low Gpa by hypergig(m): 11:02am On Jul 31, 2012
A sleek nd bold four is up for sale nd its white,interested buyer should reach me on 08169336777its a limited offer,
Re: Improving Low Gpa by ajanaku2(m): 11:03am On Jul 31, 2012
Binty: Good day all ! I am a 100 level computer science student in one of the universities in Nigeria After studing so hard for my first semester examinations and believing i passed i was so suprised to get a 1.96 gpa

Obtaining a CGPA of 1.96 after just a Semester shows that you are a very dull Bimbo...Get that idea of a First class out of your mind...Strategies: Get trained in the Art of Expo usage; F'uc'k your randy, fuc'kable Lecturers; Seat closer to smart Students during tests and examinations; Befriend your Class Governor, he might be useful...I'm sure with these strategies, you'd graduate with a Third Class...
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Maxymilliano(m): 11:04am On Jul 31, 2012
Not sure you can still make a first class, but your likelihood of attaining a second class upper is 50:50 depending on how you view your present situation and how far you can go to make necessary adjustment. Mine was 1.65 Cpga in my first year but was able to crawl my way to 3.51 at the end of my studies. It wasn't easy tho but like i said, it depends on you. Wish you luck tho.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Cleanman(m): 11:07am On Jul 31, 2012
Maxymilliano: Not sure you can still make a first class, but your likelihood of attaining a second class upper is 50:50 depending on how you view your present situation and how far you can go to make necessary adjustment. Mine was 1.65 Cpga in my first year but was able to crawl my way to 3.51 at the end of my studies. It wasn't easy tho but like i said, it depends on you. Wish you luck tho.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by vijosak(m): 11:07am On Jul 31, 2012
good advice
Re: Improving Low Gpa by sanchez4eva: 11:11am On Jul 31, 2012
Uniben tins sha...normally if u get a low gp in d first year it is easy to make it up later cus 1st yr is lyk 5 or 10 percent of d total gp...U jst haff to work hard and lemme tell u d truth-first class no be beans..Its normal for a fresher to dream of first class but after one year τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ truth shall descend lyk a blow...2.1 or first class is nt d problem, gettin a cool job later is what counts...If u be babe try and hustle for beta husband sharp sharp..If u be guy start dy cari laptop..*Cough*

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help Me To Congratulate My Brother For His Waec / Difference Between Successful And Unsuccessful People (Photo) / Some Shameful Romantic Moves We Made In Nigerian Mixed Secondary Schools!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.