Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,895 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:18 AM

515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly (4143 Views)

6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) / Expectant Mum Suffers Womb Rupture In Police Cell (photos) / Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by mukina2: 6:54am On Jul 31, 2012
NO fewer than 515,000 expectant mothers die yearly in the country, Prof Kofoworola Odeyemi of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, , has said.

She spoke at a lecture entitled: "Save a Woman, Save a Nation" at the Second Yearly Scientific Conference of the Association of General Private Nursing Practitioners of Nigeria (AGPNP).

Mrs Odeyemi deplored the high rate of maternal deaths, saying: "In a developing country like Nigeria, the risk of maternal death is one in 16. While in developed countries, it is one in 2,800.

"Every minute one woman dies due to causes related to pregnancy, child birth and postnatal period.

"That is 515,000 women, at a minimum, dying every year. About 99 percent of maternal deaths occur in developing world. The health statistics of maternal mortality shows a large disparity between developed and developing countries."

In Ghana, she said they have less than half (210 in 100,000 expectant mothers) of our maternal death rate (545 in 100,000 pregnant women), adding that it is a shame that every time maternal mortality ratio is discussed, Nigeria is always mentioned.

"There are also disparities in the rates between geopolitical zones; maternal death rate is lowest in the south and highest in the northwest due to poor antenatal care. Globally, maternal mortality is mostly concentrated in India, Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of Congo," she said.

She noted that the common pregnancy complications are haemorrhage, sepsis, toxaemia, abortion, anaemia, malaria and cephalopelvic disproportion. She said: "The high death rate could have been averted since these complications are preventable."

Prof Odeyemi also listed the ailments, which do not result in deaths, but could be debilitating to maternal health, as chronic anaemia, stress incontinence, vesicovaginal fistula, rectovaginal fistula, chronic pelvic pain, depression and exhaustion.

She stressed the reproductive rights of women, saying: "Every woman has the right to attain the highest standard of sexual and reproductive health, and the right to services and information. They should be able to decide freely and responsibly the number, spacing, and timing of their children."

She advised private nurses thus: "The onus falls on us as health workers to avail pregnant women information that would save their lives."

She bemoaned the infrastructural and personnel deficiencies, such as unavailability of maternal health facility and inadequate manpower, that contribute to maternal death rate and apportioned blame to socio-cultural factors: teenage pregnancy that causes cephalopelvic disproportion; male-sex preference that compels women to continue to give birth irrespective of age; taboos that state aversion to surgery; and subscription to harmful traditional practices and spiritual churches for child delivery.

She added: "Only 10 per cent of married women use the modern method of family planning; the average Nigerian woman wants six children."

On the theme of the conference, Prof Odeyemi said she was happy the high maternal death rate was brought to the front burner by the Association of General Private Nursing Practitioners of Nigeria (AGPNP).

"I am happy that by this conference, we have challenged ourselves. We shouldn't let women die needlessly. When a woman dies, children lose their primary caregiver; countries forego her contributions to economic and social development. A woman's death is more than a personal tragedy. It represents an enormous loss to her family, community and nation."

At the event, she unveiled the "Safe Motherhood" scheme initiated by the World Haelth Organisation (WHO), which she said would help reduce the high rate of maternal death by "ensuring that all women receive the care they need to be safe and healthy throughout pregnancy and childbirth." Safe Motherhood subsumes programmes, such as family planning, antenatal care, safe delivery, newborn care, postnatal care and post abortion care.

Many participants were happy with the lecture. Mrs. Ayodele Iroko from the USAID said: "I appreciate Prof. Odeyemi for educating us. And I am glad that all the stakeholders of 'Save a Woman, Save a Nation' are here. One of USAID's objectives is to promote family planning to achieve Millennium Development Goals Five."

President AGPNP, Dr T.J Olawale said nurses in private practice could provide effective service if given the right education.

Victoria Oloruntegbe, the Acting Director of Nursing Services, Health Service Commission, Lagos State, said: "The issue of maternal death is a priority in Lagos State. The state has provided world-standard maternal and child health centres that have brought smiles to people's faces. And as we have been saving women, we will save this nation."

The Director of Nursing Services, Federal Ministry of Health, who represented the Minister of Health, Mojisola Okodugha, said: "Women are bedrock of the nation. We are already empowered because without us, men cannot come to this world. The country has put so many things in place to save a woman. The Midwifery Scheme is one of them. We wa
nt more hands to save a woman; therefore accreditation of more nursing schools is being looked into so that more nurses could be trained."

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/health/55725-%E2%80%98515,000-expectant-mothers-die-in-nigeria-yearly%E2%80%99.html
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Okijajuju1(m): 8:23am On Jul 31, 2012
How Sad...
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by miteolu(m): 9:58am On Jul 31, 2012
THIS REPORT IS NOT TRUE.

I WANT EVERYONE TO GET THE FACT THAT SOME GROUP OF AGENCIES USE THIS KIND OF STATISTICS TO RAKE MONEY FROM GOVERNMENT.

LET US REASON AS EDUCATIONISTS THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE

2 Likes

Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by alaoeri: 10:02am On Jul 31, 2012
Where the man gets his statistics, am afraid if this figure is true oh, *every minute one woman dies ke shocked *

1 Like

Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Nobody: 10:04am On Jul 31, 2012
lies ,just to get funding from Abroad,bastards
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Ortis: 10:05am On Jul 31, 2012
Na vry big blue LIE..,wetin!!! na him b say mothers don finish 4 nija....FAKE STATISTICS
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by duality(m): 10:06am On Jul 31, 2012
miteolu: THIS REPORT IS NOT TRUE.

I WANT EVERYONE TO GET THE FACT THAT SOME GROUP OF AGENCIES USE THIS KIND OF STATISTICS TO RAKE MONEY FROM GOVERNMENT.

Gbam!!!

But trust Nigerians and Nairalanders. This is what they like to hear. so they give it to them to swallow
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Jay5000(m): 10:07am On Jul 31, 2012
kk. Lets do d math... 515,000 per yer for the past 10years (2002 - 2012) = 5.15million expectant mothers dead. And we're supposed to believe that? Nigerians and stats...
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by airfinance(m): 10:09am On Jul 31, 2012

Seems you don't know that nigeria health sector is bad. The man is right he is a prroffesional in that field. Beside you can google it to find out more on global matarnal death. He is not using the statistics to rake money from govt. Pls go to the north yu wld see what the man is talking about.

Seems you don't know that nigeria health sector is bad. The man is right he is a prroffesional in that field. Beside you can google it to find out more on global matarnal death. He is not using the statistics to rake money from govt. Pls go to the north yu wld see what the man is talking about.

Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by grandstar(m): 10:11am On Jul 31, 2012
The death rate is said to be 1 in 1,000 deliveries. With population growing at about 3% which should give us a birth rate of around 6m per year, that should equate to about 6,000 deaths. or is it 1,000 deaths in every 100,000 deliveries, I am not really sure but it will give us a much lesser figure than 515,000
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by bikerboy1(m): 10:11am On Jul 31, 2012
If na bullet, I dodge am.. Big lie.
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by ebamma(m): 10:14am On Jul 31, 2012
this figure of 550,000 is just for the ones that die in hospitals,many more die at home.
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by jpphilips(m): 10:16am On Jul 31, 2012
Another lie to support Jonathan's one family two kids agenda, una try
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Biggyd2: 10:21am On Jul 31, 2012
"The high death rate could have been averted since these complications are preventable."

Haba, but the government is on top of it. Didn't they say that they will be giving pregnant women "N5,000 ante-natal allowance". So, all is well. undecided
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by MMM2(m): 10:22am On Jul 31, 2012
Well am not in 9ja, so i dat know which 1 to believe
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by miteolu(m): 10:23am On Jul 31, 2012
airfinance:
Seems you don't know that nigeria health sector is bad. The man is right he is a prroffesional in that field. Beside you can google it to find out more on global matarnal death. He is not using the statistics to rake money from govt. Pls go to the north yu wld see what the man is talking about. [color=#006600]

Friend, do not be deceived. Even to go by random sampling it is not possible. Prof Kofoworola Odeyemi of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, should have told us their samplings. Some one can not sit in Lagos & be telling us unrealistic orthodoxy composed figures.
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Abeyjide: 10:31am On Jul 31, 2012
@ poster,if dat was true,dat means nigerian population should ave decreased drastically coupled witb oda means through wic people are dieing e.g through boko haram,accident,natural disasters lke flood,sickness,plane crash,ethnic crises,religious crisis and political crises.
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Nobody: 10:35am On Jul 31, 2012
airfinance:

my guy. thats capital lie. source abeg that gave u that info about norht. you and the prof are greedy statistcians, reseachers, with your fake NGO to extort money form the FG
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Lordave: 10:37am On Jul 31, 2012
How can a well knowledged human being believe these feeble lies?
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by phraze(m): 10:39am On Jul 31, 2012
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by pj5(f): 10:49am On Jul 31, 2012
olas2u: lies ,just to get funding from Abroad,bastards
It is very easy to think that these figures are far fetched and grossly exaggerated for the purpose of external funding but you will be surprised it is very true and factual. Every minute across the world, at least one woman dies of pregnancy related complications or at delivery. Nigeria has no proper record keeping for the dead or a data base so an estimate based on experience is likely but the fact is this; Think deeply and carefully, we all know at least one woman who has died at childbirth or a neighbour, sister or relative even a friend who has died of pregnancy related complications.

Unless you work in the field, you will think everyone is exaggerating the figures to get funding. I know of hospitals without basic delivery facilities, I know of the menace of traditional birth attendants due to inadequate health facilities. I have even visited a community health center in Ogun state where all the nurses on duty gave birth at the place of a TBA becos of they know birth at the center means automatic death. I know of another general hospital without electricity and water. I know because my NGO the brown button foundation provided them with electricity and water. Tell me how women are supposed to survive in these community?

The mistake we make is that we sit here in Lagos and other city centers and think everywhere and everything is as rosy as we have it.

I started off the brown button foundation as a result of the death of a close friend at childbirth and I run it part time and our funding is internally generated. For more on our activities, please visit www.brownbuttonfoundation.org. You can also follow us on twitter @brownbutton_org. You can email us on info@brownbuttonfoundation.org to volunteer with us.
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Cleanman(m): 10:53am On Jul 31, 2012
miteolu:

Friend, do not be deceived. Even to go by random sampling it is not possible. Prof Kofoworola Odeyemi of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, should have told us their samplings. Some one can not sit in Lagos & be telling us unrealistic orthodoxy composed figures.
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by ibsmooth: 10:55am On Jul 31, 2012

Haba,we go school also,the report is just a fallacy,agreed we have problems in Nigeria but I believe it hasn't detoriated to this.
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Bawss1(m): 11:08am On Jul 31, 2012
Lordave: How can a well knowledged human being believe these feeble lies?

How can you make such a statement? Provide evidence to counter the doctor's or are you the type that wants to see only what pleases them?
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 31, 2012
This is a FAT BIG LIE.... How many remain kwanu if 515,000 dies in a year?...... dis guys must be high on some cheap drugs. Oya lets blame GEJ once more. OBG(Operation Blame GEJ)
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by hrhobi1(m): 11:40am On Jul 31, 2012
NO PREGNANT WOMAN DON DIE FOR MY AREA FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS NOW. ALL OF THEM DEY DELIVER CONFIRM PIKINS

1 Like

Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Orikinla(m): 1:40pm On Jul 31, 2012
mukina2: nt more hands to save a woman; therefore accreditation of more nursing schools is being looked into so that more nurses could be trained."

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/health/55725-%E2%80%98515,000-expectant-mothers-die-in-nigeria-yearly%E2%80%99.html

This report is catastrophic.

The schools of nursing in Nigeria are among the worst in the world.
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by DinhoMVP: 3:52pm On Jul 31, 2012

i agree wt u my broda its simply nt possibtle 4 dat outrageous figure 2die yearly dat is outblown statistics even dough i cnt say deir motive is 2dupe d FG bt wu eva put dat figure up shld knw dat we also knw a thing abt research & speculatn
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by Kunlebabs375: 5:00pm On Jul 31, 2012
gboss4sure: This is a FAT BIG LIE.... How many remain kwanu if 515,000 dies in a year?...... dis guys must be high on some cheap drugs. Oya lets blame GEJ once more. OBG(Operation Blame GEJ)

You cannot say its a lie na. Do you know our population in Nigera? Over 160m. So wat are you saying. Blame GEJ na, very soon when u no fit shit u go call GEJ.

1 Like

Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by kayswag100(m): 5:21pm On Jul 31, 2012
very fake!

Only when it comes 2 negativity about nigeria that statistics miraculously pop up!

Stats as fake as kardashian's behind. Mchhhheeeeeew!!!!
Re: 515,000 Expectant Mothers Die In Nigeria Yearly by EvilBrain1(m): 5:39pm On Jul 31, 2012

Guy, you have no idea what you're talking about. Why isn't it possible? You think all Nigerias are city-dwelling ajebotas like you?

I'm a doctor and I've witnessed first hand the way women and children die like flies in rural areas in this country. You people have no idea how bad things are for some people especially in the north.

Most Nigerians live in rural areas, and the majority of rural areas have little or no access to formal healthcare. In addition, people are dirt poor and usually can't afford life-saving procedures like caesarean sections. So they just die.

People always wonder why I hate the government and the PDP so much. If you've ever been the only doctor in a rural local government, you'll understand.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Have The Urge To Pee During Sex? / COVID-19 Update For September 11 2021 In Nigeria / Man In Coma Communicates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.