Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,990 members, 7,803,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? (42873 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Prestigious Alumni / 7 Nigerian Universities With The Strongest Alumni Bodies / List Of Universities In Ghana Accredited & Recognized In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 18, 2012
Notable Ahmadu Bello University
Alumni
The Ahmadu Bello University is
notable for producing numerous
Nigerian Leaders including many
state governors and Ministers. Amongst the alumni of the
institution are:
Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, GCFR.
Former President, Federal
Republic of Nigeria
Namadi Sambo, current vice president,Federal Republic of
Nigeria
Dahiru Musdapher, Current Chief
Justice of Nigeria
Atiku Abubakar GCON, Former Vice
President,Federal Republic of Nigeria
Oladipo Diya,GCON, Former Vice
President/CGS, Federal Republic of
Nigeria
Ghali Umar Na'Abba, Former
Speaker, House of Representative, Nigeria
Sunday Awoniyi, Northern
Yoruba Leader,Former Chairman
ACF
Aminu Bello Masri, Former
[speaker] House of Representatives
Usman Bayero Nafada, Former
Deputy Speaker, House of
Representatives
Ayodele Awojobi, Scientist and
Professor at University of Lagos Attahiru JegaProfessor, Chairman,
Independent National Electoral
Commission (INEC)
Mansur Muhtar, Executive Director
of the World Bank
Mohammed Bello Adoke,Minister of Justice & Attorney General of
the Federation
Nnenadi Usman, Former Finance
Minister
Turai Yar'Adua, Former First Lady
Olusegun Obasanjo Jnr., Architect and Son of Former President
Olusegun
Shehu Ladan, Former GMD, NNPC
Jerry Gana, Former Information
Minister
Idris Legbo Kutigi, Former Chief Justice of Nigeria
Rilwanu Lukman, Former
Secretary General OPEC &
Petroleum Minister, Admiral Ola Saad Ibrahim new CDS
Nuhu Ribadu, Former Chairman,
EFCC Ibrahim Lamorde, Current
Chairman, EFCC
Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, Former FCT
Minister
Donald Duke, former Cross River
state governor Isa Yuguda,Governor, Bauchi
State
Umaru Tanko Al-Makura,
Governor, Nasarawa State
Shamsudeen Usman,Minister of
National Planning Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo,
Governor, Gombe State
Usman Saidu Nasamu Dakingari,
Governor, Kebbi State
Ibrahim Geidam,Governor, Yobe
State Danbaba Danfulani,
Governor, Taraba State
Bukar Abba Ibrahim,

2 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 11:00am On Oct 18, 2012
12 inches!:

Just come to unilag creative arts department and u'll learn of what they call intimidating alumni. I'm not even in that dept but I knw those guys are GOOD.
Unilag takes the cake when it comes to the Entertainment industry. But they're lagging behind in other spheres.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 11:03am On Oct 18, 2012
One wonders why over 90% of the Alumni being posted for ABU are all politicians.

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by datola: 11:06am On Oct 18, 2012
How's this an acheivement! These are majorly the theiving politcal class who bribed/shot their way up. Hard to find professionals of international standards on the list.

babs2aroks: Notable Ahmadu Bello University
Alumni
The Ahmadu Bello University is
notable for producing numerous
Nigerian Leaders including many
state governors and Ministers. Amongst the alumni of the
institution are:
Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, GCFR.
Former President, Federal
Republic of Nigeria
Namadi Sambo, current vice president,Federal Republic of
Nigeria
Dahiru Musdapher, Current Chief
Justice of Nigeria
Atiku Abubakar GCON, Former Vice
President,Federal Republic of Nigeria
Oladipo Diya,GCON, Former Vice
President/CGS, Federal Republic of
Nigeria
Ghali Umar Na'Abba, Former
Speaker, House of Representative, Nigeria
Sunday Awoniyi, Northern
Yoruba Leader,Former Chairman
ACF
Aminu Bello Masri, Former
[speaker] House of Representatives
Usman Bayero Nafada, Former
Deputy Speaker, House of
Representatives
Ayodele Awojobi, Scientist and
Professor at University of Lagos Attahiru JegaProfessor, Chairman,
Independent National Electoral
Commission (INEC)
Mansur Muhtar, Executive Director
of the World Bank
Mohammed Bello Adoke,Minister of Justice & Attorney General of
the Federation
Nnenadi Usman, Former Finance
Minister
Turai Yar'Adua, Former First Lady
Olusegun Obasanjo Jnr., Architect and Son of Former President
Olusegun
Shehu Ladan, Former GMD, NNPC
Jerry Gana, Former Information
Minister
Idris Legbo Kutigi, Former Chief Justice of Nigeria
Rilwanu Lukman, Former
Secretary General OPEC &
Petroleum Minister, Admiral Ola Saad Ibrahim new CDS
Nuhu Ribadu, Former Chairman,
EFCC Ibrahim Lamorde, Current
Chairman, EFCC
Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, Former FCT
Minister
Donald Duke, former Cross River
state governor Isa Yuguda,Governor, Bauchi
State
Umaru Tanko Al-Makura,
Governor, Nasarawa State
Shamsudeen Usman,Minister of
National Planning Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo,
Governor, Gombe State
Usman Saidu Nasamu Dakingari,
Governor, Kebbi State
Ibrahim Geidam,Governor, Yobe
State Danbaba Danfulani,
Governor, Taraba State
Bukar Abba Ibrahim,

How's this an acheivement! These are majorly the theiving politcal class who bribed/shot their way up. Hard to find professionals of international standards on the list.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by omenziate(m): 11:06am On Oct 18, 2012
afam4eva: One wonder why over 90% of the Alumni being posted for ABU are all politicians.

U b dey find rocket science and combinatorics? U go old o. Politics now na discipline for ABU o.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by mrkels(m): 11:07am On Oct 18, 2012
Do a little research on Uniben... You would be amazed!
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by MRXELA(m): 11:07am On Oct 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Pls name some Alumni of ABU??
fomer president yaradua, vice president namadi sambo and forma governour of kaduna makarafi thea are all 4rm abu
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 11:10am On Oct 18, 2012
mrkels: Do a little research on Uniben... You would be amazed!
Do it for us and post your findings here. Thank You.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by datola: 11:21am On Oct 18, 2012
OAU, Ife produced the country's best activists, professionals, achievers- with little or no government patronage:

Ernest Ndwuke- Pioneer NCC Vice Chairman, the man that revolusionalised Nigerian telecomms. He holds First class, Elect, Elect, Ife
Femi Falana- Foremost legal lumnary
Ms Funke Opekee- World class renononwed telecomss professional. Main One cable CEO. First class, Elect eletc
Mrs Florence Seriki, Omatek Computer CEO,
Seun Osewa of Nairaland. That young man is a genious! Research about him.
Rotimi Akeredolu (SAN)- Former NBA President and....
Ama Pepple
Segun Oni, former governor, Ekiti
Professor Akintunde, Dean Falculty of Engineering, MIT, USA
Dr Olusegun Mimiko- Governor, Ondo state
Olushola, current pdp governorshp candidate, Ondo

Will add more when I have time. The list is from my head, not from any database.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by uceee(m): 11:23am On Oct 18, 2012
There is a saying that, the woman who first gets married, and consequently starts cooking first, always has more broken pots than the one who married later. UNN, UI & ABU are very old and prestigious schools. The very first batch of universities established in the post colonial era. They are the first unis established in the east, west and north respectively. At that time, any easterner who could afford university education or got a scholarship went to UNN. Same goes for UI & ABU. Since the first batch of university graduates attended those schools, they bragged about their Almamata and encouraged others to go to these schools. There was fierce competition between these 3 schools to be acknowledged as the best (It remains to this day) It is therefore not a suprise that these schools boast of Alumni like Soludo, Soyinka and Yaradua. They were simply the best and most prestigious then.

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 18, 2012
Present Governor of Lagos State is an alumnus of Uniben and many others

afam4eva:
Do it for us and post your findings here. Thank You.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by solomon111(m): 11:32am On Oct 18, 2012
I have not seen UNIBEN yet.
It seems you guys have not even started.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by solomon111(m): 11:33am On Oct 18, 2012
P.U.S.H:
Present Governor of Lagos State is an alumnus of Uniben and many others

Including Emmanuel Uduaghan.
Two sitting governors.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 18, 2012
And how have these Alumni helped in developing the nation? "Just asking" who cares anyway! undecided
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by lightheart(m): 11:45am On Oct 18, 2012
@OP, u must be a super lion, no? Pleasure meeting you.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by safarigirl(f): 11:51am On Oct 18, 2012
Masoro: I could not believe my eyes when is saw a handful list of some high ranking personalities who are UNN alumni that someone ostentatiously posted; and claimed that UNN has the most recognizable alumni in Nigeria. I can see the individual has done a comprehensive research to come up with that seemingly laudable list including the names of university faculties, members of house of reps and state based technocrats. This is lame. Honestly I don't want to sound harsh but such a bold claim is feckless and naively informed. I cannot speak for other Universities like UNILAG, UI, OAU etc but putting ABU zaria into the picture I can comfortably look down my nose at his list. ABU is the second largest university in Africa, 2nd to Alazhar of Egypt, and the very first university in northern Nigeria. From the foregoing, u can imagine it is technically impossible for me to come up with an exhaustive list of all or most of the notable ABU alumni to encompass faculty members, technocrats, business men not to mention members of reps or state based 'local champions'. Notwithstanding, here is a handful list of which most are technocrats, courtesy of their popularity. Mind U this list is absolutely far from adequate because it is a mere list I squiggle with the help of a friend to respond to you. Here u go..
Late Umaru Musa yaradua GCFR former president federal republic of Nigeria.
Arch. Namadi sambo GCON,vice preisdent federal republic of Nigeria.
Atiku Abubakar GCON, former vice president federal republic of Nigeria.
Oladipo diya GCON former vice president/CGS federal republic of Nigeria.
Yayale Ahmed, former secretary to the government of the federation(SGF), former head of civil service of Nigeria, former minister of defence.
Gali Umar na Abba, former speaker house of representative.
Aminu bello masari, former speaker house of representatives.
Bayero Nafada, former deputy speaker house of representatives.
Abubakar Ibn Umar el kanemi, Shehu of borno( Emir of borno).
Idris legbo kutigi, former chief justice of Nigeria.
Dahiru mustapha, the immediate past chief justice of Nigeria.
Bello Adoke (Attorney General of the Federation) .
Professor Attahiru jega, former vice chancellor bayero university kano, present INEC chairman.
Rilwan lukman, former secretary general OPEC, former minister of petroleum on three occasions.
Andrew yakubu: present GMD NNPC
Abubakar yar'adua: former GMD NNPC
Shehu Ladan: former GMD NNPC
Sanusi lamido Sanusi, Governor central bank of Nigeria.
Mansur mukhtar, Executive director World bank, former minister of finance.
Ibrahim Hassan dankwambo, former accountant general of the federation and present governor gombe state.
Muhammed kabir, CEO nigerian pension commission.
Adamu Maina waziri, former executive secretary PTDF, former minister of police affairs, former minister of Agriculture and water resources
Reginald ijejiahi, MD & CEO fidelity bank
Iya Muhammad, MD SODECOTON, president FEAFOOT.
Nuhu ribadu, former EFCC chairman
Ibrahim lamorde, present EFCC chairman
Muhammad bawa, former ekiti state governor.
Donald duke, former governor cross rivers.
Ibrahim shekarau, former governor kano state, 2011 presidential candidate of ANPP.
Kure, former governor niger state.
Shehu shema, present governor katsina
state.
Patrick yakowa, present governor kaduna state.
Umar tanko Al-makura, present governor nassarawa state.
Isa yuguda, present governor of bauchi state, former minister of aviation.
Muhammadu danjuma goje, former governor gombe state, former minister of power and steel, presently a senator.
Ahmed makarfi, former governor kaduna state,presently a senator.
Ahmed Adamu muazu, former governor of bauchi state.
Yeriman bakura, former governor of zamfara state.
Ibrahim Hassan dankwambo, present governor gombe state.
Kabiru Ibrahim gaya, former kano state governor.
Abubakar Habu hashidu, former governor Gombe state(1999-2003), former minister of water resources.
Bukar Abba Ibrahim, former governor yobe state, presently a senator.
Ibrahim geidam, present governor of yobe state
Danbaba Dan fulani suntai, present governor of taraba state.
Adamu aliero, former governor of sokoto state, former FCT minister.
Usman saidu nasamu dakin gari, presnt governor kebbi state.
Umaru Musa yar'adua, former governor katsina state.
Namadi sambo, former governor kaduna state.
Boni haruna, former governor adamawa state.
Professor ango Abdullahi, former minister of Agriculture and former vice chancellor ABU zaria.
Professor buba bajoga, former MD NITEL and former vice chancellor federal univeristy of technology bauchi.
Malam Nasir El-rufa'I, former CEO bureau for public enterprise, former FCT minister.
Nenadi Usman, former minister of finance.
Shamsuddeen Usman, minister national planning.
Adamu bello, minister of Agriculture and rural development(2001-2007).
Sheik Ahmad, former minister of agriculture and former head of Administrative staff college of Nigeria.
Abba sayyadi ruma, former minister of agriculture.
Kabir chafe, former minister of petroleum
Gerry gana, former minister of information
Turai yaradua, Former First lady.
Umar kwairanga (Sarkin fulanin gombe) chairman managing board of Ashaka cement, Nig. PLC .
Professor B.B Shehu, chief medical director, National Hospital Abuja.
Dr saidu Abubakar,chief medical director federal medical centre Gombe.
Professor Abdullahi mahdi, vice chancellor Gombe state university, former vice chancellor ABU zaria.
Professor Mota, vice chancellor katsina state university.
Dr mai gatari, chief medical director federal medical centre Birnin kudu.
Professor Abdullmumini rafindadi, Vice chancellor of the new federal university in kogi state, former chief medical director Ahmadu bello University Teaching hospital
Abubakar Gimba, former president association of Nigerian authors
Lawrence serebour, director cardiac surgery program, Korle bu teaching hospital Ghana
Professor Ali pate, former director general national primary health care development agency, present state minister for health
Dr Aliyu idi Hong, former state minister for health, former state minister for foreign affairs
Prof Sarki Abba Abdulkadir (Medical Geneticist USA
Prof Muutasim Ibrahim (VC UMYU Katsina)
Sunday Awoniyi, Northern Yoruba Leader,Former Chairman ACF
Ibrahim H. Umar, former Vice Chancellor and scientist;
Professor JD Amin, former vice chancellor University of maiduguri.
Dr Alkasum Abba, vice chancellor adamawa state university.
Professor William barnabas Qurix, present vice chancellor kaduna state university
Professor Aminu S. Mikailu, former vice chancellor kaduna state university
Dr hadiza galadanci, CMAC Aminu kano university teaching hospital
Professor Andrew jonathan nok, former visiting lecturer Yale university USA, gene founder tripanosomiasis, winner of the prestigious mizutani foundation for glycoscience research award ( Tokyo-Japan, 2004), winner of NLNG award for science.
Most carbinet ministers from the north were ABU graduates.

90% of names here are northerners and are in governmental positions

Everyone knows that Nigerian Federal Character Commission gives 60% of postitions to northerners, 25% to South Westerners and 10% to South Southerners, leaving the SE with 5%, this is mostly due to the Biafran effect, and the fear of Ibo secession.

Everyone also knows that Bribery and Corruption is what gets you into government office (and keeps you there) 85% of the time.

Please people should list names of those who have an HONEST living in Nigeria.

That being said, I may not have a list, but I'm guessing ...

1. University of Ibadan

2. University of Nigeria Nsukka

3. Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria

4.University of Ile-Ife

5. University of Lagos.....

2 Likes

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by lafuria1(m): 11:54am On Oct 18, 2012
guys go don enta google they research notable alummi in my sch, this thread fit long small sha, by the way which sch dangote, otedola and adenuga finish from i meam which alumni do they belong to?

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by eminemkayc: 11:54am On Oct 18, 2012
I have not seen UNIBEN yet.
It seems you guys have not even started.

James Ibori made a 2.1 in UNIBEN. . . grin
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Madawaki01(m): 11:56am On Oct 18, 2012
No Nigeria university can beat wesley college of science,ibadan.(talking of successful old students)
N.B:- I'M NOT A STUDENT OF THE SCHOOL OOOO
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Madawaki01(m): 11:58am On Oct 18, 2012
What bout the NIGERIA DEFENCE ACADEMY,....it has produced half of nigeria president from indepence....prove me wrong
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 18, 2012
CHESSBOARD: It has to be Uniport, One President, 5 Governors , many Legislators, including my-humble-self cool

cool cool cool
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by jerikoyan(m): 12:08pm On Oct 18, 2012
Correct.d ONDO STATE GOV ELECTION IS BTW OAU UNION BOYS:mimiko college of Med.rep at SRC.Akeredolu Former vp OAU Stuendt union olusoke oke formal activist OAU...in the IT World u go fear the likes of jobberman:ope awo and co.current google head nigeria she finish 4rm copt sch.gbega sesan UN IT ambasador.go to silicon valley u go fear.prof osasona hod elect OAU. Only Acaustic engr in niger.its only OAU that use MIT open courseware in nigeria.,prof jide kufoniyi:foremost gis guru in africa,prof Eraboh founder spokesman inc .pastor Adeboye Rccg.
Jimoh ibrahim.this is just from my head now oh.no research
datola: OAU, Ife produced the country's best activists, professionals, achievers- with little or no government patronage:

Ernest Ndwuke- Pioneer NCC Vice Chairman, the man that revolusionalised Nigerian telecomms. He holds First class, Elect, Elect, Ife
Femi Falana- Foremost legal lumnary
Ms Funke Opekee- World class renononwed telecomss professional. Main One cable CEO. First class, Elect eletc
Mrs Florence Seriki, Omatek Computer CEO,
Seun Osewa of Nairaland. That young man is a genious! Research about him.
Rotimi Akeredolu (SAN)- Former NBA President and....
Ama Pepple
Segun Oni, former governor, Ekiti
Professor Akintunde, Dean Falculty of Engineering, MIT, USA
Dr Olusegun Mimiko- Governor, Ondo state
Olushola, current pdp governorshp candidate, Ondo

Will add more when I have time. The list is from my head, not from any database.

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 18, 2012
Madawaki01: What bout the NIGERIA DEFENCE ACADEMY,....it has produced half of nigeria president from indepence....prove me wrong

Is NDA a University

BTW, why all the Alumni from ABU are all Politicians and are mostly from The north unlike UNN and Unlag that has both Yorubas and IGBOs.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Madawaki01(m): 12:13pm On Oct 18, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Is NDA a University

BTW, why all the Alumni from ABU are all Politicians and are mostly from The north unlike UNN and Unlag that has both Yorubas and IGBOs.
yes,the nda is a university,it even offers masters and p.hd
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by fflamingo(m): 12:25pm On Oct 18, 2012
To be candid Check polyibadan alumni there are something else really exploring the world
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by soulamanne(m): 12:32pm On Oct 18, 2012
Am an ife alumnus but IMO,UNN is it.
In this order;
UNN
Unilag
OAU
UI
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Navalsadiq(m): 12:34pm On Oct 18, 2012
A GOOD PRODUCT DOES NOT NEED TOO MUCH ADVERTISEMENT.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 12:36pm On Oct 18, 2012
soulamanne: Am an ife alumnus but IMO,UNN is it.
In this order;
UNN
Unilag
OAU
UI
See where you go put UI. You no serious oo.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 18, 2012
The list is impressive and as expected as well, but I'm sure schools like ABU, U.I, IFE and Lag will have a similar resumé too, cheers.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by tunapawizzy: 12:40pm On Oct 18, 2012
omayyi :
UNN is in the past, dude. It's not even among the top 10 in Naija at the moment.
WHAT EXACTLY IS UR PROBLEM? THAT U CANT READ OR THAT U CANT ANALYSE WHATEVER U READ.....BECAUSE CLEARLY U SUFFER FROM EITHER OF THE TWO IF NOT BOTH
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by uzoexcel(m): 12:41pm On Oct 18, 2012
FUTO...Federal University Of Technology, Owerri ...our alumnis are (sorry got to go....wait 4 me though to complete this)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chinenye Gloria Enukorah Is UNIZIK Nursin Best Graduating Student With 4.74 CGPA / Finally Ciroma Chuckwuma Adekunle Has Pass WAEC (pic) / University Of Uyo(uniuyo) Students' Chat Room. Great Tuskites.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.