Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,107 members, 7,807,338 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? (42881 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Prestigious Alumni / 7 Nigerian Universities With The Strongest Alumni Bodies / List Of Universities In Ghana Accredited & Recognized In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by kingingkinging: 2:14pm On Oct 18, 2012
torkaka: i think ABU has produced the most recognised alumni member. recall during obj's tenure there was a time ABU produced about 12 members at the FEC meeting as ministers

You are correct, almost all the Northern govs both present and previous attended ABU.

Incontrovertible truth.

However, it doesnt make it the best. I think any of these three uni is the best Obafemi Awolowo University (formaerly University of Ife, University of Ibadan or UNILAG should be the best because they have been consitent in the university rating since inception.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 18, 2012
afam4eva:
You're right. When you talk about activist and defenders of democracy, it is Ife. The average graduate of Ife is a maverick.

And I also think Ife products have teh most sense of solidarity. They have this way of identifying with one another and with their school anywhere.

On a lighter note, we rule Nairaland: Seun, Dayokanu, TKB417, CyberG, Jarus, Spikedcylinder, Eastbay, pcicero etc. grin

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 2:20pm On Oct 18, 2012
Jarus:
On a lighter note, we rule Nairaland: Seun, Dayokanu, TKB417, CyberG, Jarus, Spikedcylinder, Eastbay, pcicero etc. grin
What do the two people i highlighted have in common?
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by AkinDavid2: 2:21pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ola one: UI = 1948.

Others = 1962.

That 14 years gap no be beans oo. Imagine those who graduated in the 50s. Bola Ige dem

Guy...no be just calculation oo! just roll out the names if possible
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 2:25pm On Oct 18, 2012
abdulkayus:

oga mi Suraj, u too gbaski. U hav finish everytin. U knw Yoruba like school ever since, so even frm d inceptn, SW has more uni dan other region. Y most intellects and politicians com frm d north is cos ABU was a first generation uni and d only one in d north den, likewise UNN also. Bt SW has UI and OAU
The fact that you has three universities in the west as at time does not mean the SW liked education more than other regions. It was just a case of circumstance that led to the citing of these schools in those locations. University of Ibadan for instance was established by the British and it was cited in Ibadan. it could have been cited anywhere else. The establishment of another Federal university, Unilag is as a result of the location. A city like Lagos cannot be left without a federal university because it's a melting point of Nigerians from every nook and cranny. So, that leaved University of Ife(OAU) as the true university of the SW just like UNN is to the east and ABU is to the North.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 18, 2012
DG of NYSC Brig Gen NT Okore Affia
afam4eva: Politics, Law and Government

Lam Adesina, pioneer class of 1963; Governor of Oyo State, Nigeria (1999–2003)
Olisa Agbakoba, class of 1977 (Law); Senior Advocate of Nigeria; founder of Nigeria's foremost human rights organization, the Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO) and former president of the Nigerian Bar Association (2006 - 2008)
Gabriel O. Ajayi, class of 1965 (Physics); Professor of Communications, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife; first Director General, National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), Abuja
Dora Akunyili, Federal Minister of Information and Communication, Nigeria (2008–2010) and Director-General, National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC)(2001 – )
E.C. Amucheazi, former Director-General, National Orientation Agency
Sullivan Chime, Governor of Enugu State, Nigeria (2007 – date)
Ike Ekweremadu, Deputy Senate President, Nigeria
Joy Emordi, class of 1979; Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Anambra North Senatorial Zone, Anambra State) 2003 -
Akpan Isemin, Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria (1992–1993)
Ousman Jammeh, Gambian Foreign Minister (2009–2010)
Gregory Ngaji, class of 1977; Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Cross River North Senatorial constituency, Cross River) 2003 -
Chris Ngige, Governor of Anambra State, Nigeria (2003–2007) and Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Anambra State, Anambra Central Senatorial District), 2011 – date
Chimaroke Nnamani, Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Enugu East Senatorial District, Enugu State) and Governor of Enugu State (1999–2007)
Peter Obi, Governor of Anambra State, Nigeria (2006 – date)
Peter Odili, Governor of Rivers State, Nigeria (1999–2007)
Osita Ogbu, Former Economic Adviser to the President and Minister of National Planning Commission of Nigeria
Kanayo KGB Oguakwa, class of 1987, Member, House of Representatives, Federal Republic of Nigeria(Aninri/Awgu/Oji River Federal Constituency, Enugu State) 2003 -
Fabian Osuji, former Federal Minister of Education
Oserheimen Osunbor, Governor of Edo State, Nigeria (2007–2008) and Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Edo State, Edo Central Senatorial District), 1999–2007
Niki Tobi, first person to earn a PhD in Law from University of Nigeria (1983); Associate Justice, Supreme Court of Nigeria (2002–2010)
G.T.G. Toby, pioneer class of 1963 and former Deputy Governor, Rivers State, Nigeria
Patrick Utomi, Presidential candidate for the African Democratic Congress (ADC) in the Nigerian April 2007 elections and former Director of the Center for Applied Economics, Lagos Business School, Pan African University
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 2:35pm On Oct 18, 2012
Jarus:

No school comes near ABU in Politics.

12 (one-third) of the present state governors attended ABU, not less than 10 of the ministers did.
Since majority of politicians come from the North via quota system and majority of Norther schooled in ABU, it's expected.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by ACM10: 2:36pm On Oct 18, 2012
Jarus:

And I also think Ife products have teh most sense of solidarity. They have this way of identifying with one another and with their school anywhere.

OAU Ife must be a breeding ground for tribalists and bigots.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by yuzedo: 2:43pm On Oct 18, 2012
Nobody should mention Unilag, because MAULAG has not produced anybody prominent since the school was reborn by way of nomenclature this year! grin
Changing Unilag to Moshood Abiola University caused a Hard Reset to everything the school has ever achieved! cheesy tongue
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by bolakale30(m): 2:44pm On Oct 18, 2012
12 inches!:

Just come to unilag creative arts department and u'll learn of what they call intimidating alumni. I'm not even in that dept but I knw those guys are GOOD.

Tank u jawe I tink sey nobody go mention the only uni in 9ja
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by bolakale30(m): 2:50pm On Oct 18, 2012
yuzedo: Nobody should mention Unilag, because MAULAG has not produced anybody prominent since the school was reborn by way of nomenclature this year! grin
Changing Unilag to Moshood Abiola University caused a Hard Reset to everything the school has ever achieved! cheesy tongue
I hate internet banter but u are a slow-poke, ur statement illuminates that fact. If u wrote Jamb exams 8 times to enter a skul and they deny u 8 times is that enuf reason to beef the skul... U are nothing but a retardeen; the quintessential akpos...mtsheew...
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Beowulf(m): 2:55pm On Oct 18, 2012
bolakale30:
I hate internet banter but u are a slow-poke, ur statement illuminates that fact. If u wrote Jamb exams 8 times to enter a skul and they deny u 8 times is that enuf reason to beef the skul... U are nothing but a retardeen; the quintessential akpos...mtsheew...

Dude, lighten up! Yuzedo was just making a tongue-in-cheek comment. No need for all the invectives.

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by garrigangster: 2:56pm On Oct 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Unilag takes the cake when it comes to the Entertainment industry. But they're lagging behind in other spheres.
Funniest thing is that most of d legendary playwrights and actors in Nigeria are U.I Products.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by yuzedo: 2:59pm On Oct 18, 2012
bolakale30:

Truly sad for your sense of humor and apparent lack of cerebral functioning. Poster boy for obtuseness. If you had ANY iota.. any molecule of functioning brain activity, you would know that was a non-sinister, satirical jab at a respectable institution. It is not your place to defend the integrity of your Alma Mater if indeed it is worth its salt and especially as you CLEARLY DO NOT possess the quick thinking needed to act as a custodian/defender of your schools' honor.

Don't bother replying me... I will not engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.. undecided
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 18, 2012
garri_gangster:
Funniest thing is that most of d legendary playwrights and actors in Nigeria are U.I Products.

I think UI is the king of Arts.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by yuzedo: 3:02pm On Oct 18, 2012
Beowulf: Dude, lighten up! Yuzedo was just making a tongue-in-cheek comment. No need for all the invectives.

Lol! You still have faith in sad muppets trolling the internet?! That simple rascal wouldn't know sarcasm if it hit him in the face with a 10ton mallet.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 3:03pm On Oct 18, 2012
Jarus:

I think UI is the king of Arts.
No, Unilag is. I usually don't consider the Achebes and Soyinkas as Entertainers.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Dignitary: 3:06pm On Oct 18, 2012
[quote author=Ola one]UI is number one. The uni sits on a special stool.

Many leading doctors in South Africa attended UI. I mean many black South African doctors.
UI's South African list is enough to frighten you'all cheesy

Some of them are political leaders in SA today

With the way u keep mentioning south Africa...I wonder what you are talking about!!! Is SA not an African country like Nigeria. Take a trip to d US, Majority of Nigerian doctors there finished from IFE.

All other universities are local champions, IFE is miles ahead of others. The CHIEF PROSECUTOR OF D INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT (ICC) ,who is a native of Gambian and the first African ICC Chief Prosecutor is a [GREAT iFE]
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 3:08pm On Oct 18, 2012
Dignitary:

[/color]With the way u keep mentioning south Africa...I wonder what you are talking about!!! Is SA not an African country like Nigeria. Take a trip to d US, Majority of Nigerian doctors there finished from IFE.

[color=#000099]
All other universities are local champions, IFE is miles ahead of others. The CHIEF PROSECUTOR OF D INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT (ICC) ,who is a native of Gambian and the first African ICC Chief Prosecutor is a GREAT IFE!!!
People from other schools will come and tell us that majority of the past presidents of America are from their school. How exactly do you guys come to these conclusion?
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Dignitary: 3:09pm On Oct 18, 2012
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by sagbar(m): 3:15pm On Oct 18, 2012
OAU is da boomb! Ondo guber candidates speaks for ife;mimiko,Akeredolu and oke all graduated from ife
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by garrigangster: 3:19pm On Oct 18, 2012
Some Notable U.I Alumnis.
Chinua Achebe-Internationally acclaimed author
Wole Soyinka-First African Noble Laureate
Gamaliel Onosode-Techocrat
Theodore Orji-Governor
Jubril Aminu-Medical Doctor per excellence and Senator
Emeka Anyaoku-Former Head of the Commonwealth
Michael Omolewa-Former UNESCO Head
Olusegun Agagu-Former Governor of Ondo
J.P Clark- Foremost Poet
Professor Peter Okebukola-Head of Neco and former Registrar of Jamb
Grace Alele Williams-First Female V.C
Ken Saro-wiwa
Farida Waziri-Former EFCC head
Niyi Osundare
Elechi Amadi

Chill with that for now
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by garrigangster: 3:22pm On Oct 18, 2012
afam4eva:
No, Unilag is. I usually don't consider the Achebes and Soyinkas as Entertainers.
Most of dose guys that act for Mainframe productions are Uites and even the Professor that writes most of the Mainframe movies is a Uite.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by dack7(m): 3:23pm On Oct 18, 2012
torkaka:

ok, show me a former unn student that was president and i will show you umoru yar adua
show me the vice president unn has and iwill show you nemadi sambo
show me the nnpc gmd unn has and i will show you shehu ladan,abubakar yar adua & andrew yakubu(the present)
show me a former first lady unn and i will show you turai

lets start from there. thank you
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Afam4eva(m): 3:32pm On Oct 18, 2012
garri_gangster:
Most of dose guys that act for Mainframe productions are Uites and even the Professor that writes most of the Mainframe movies is a Uite.
But those are not mainstream Nollywood people. I also know that most mainframe movies are set in UI.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by bolakale30(m): 3:34pm On Oct 18, 2012
yuzedo:

Truly sad for your sense of humor and apparent lack of cerebral functioning. Poster boy for obtuseness. If you had ANY iota.. any molecule of functioning brain activity, you would know that was a non-sinister, satirical jab at a respectable institution. It is not your place to defend the integrity of your Alma Mater if indeed it is worth its salt and especially as you CLEARLY DO NOT possess the quick thinking to act as a custodian/defender of your schools' honor.

Don't bother replying me... I will not engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.. undecided

Spare me the vocabs, the last time I checked, an impressive repertoire of grammar doesn't necessarily translate into an equally stupendous brain.. Didn't u see the way beowulf made his point without resorting to the usual insults that fools like u av made the norm on NL...mtsheeew...slowpoke, by the way, u graduated from which school ? I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of these mushroom universities with no prestige...
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by patwilly(m): 3:36pm On Oct 18, 2012
Let me explain a bit further. You see during the colonial administration of the British and after several entreaties for Nigeria to get an indigineous University, the British finally sucumbed and established the University College Ibadan(as unibadan was then known(it regained its present status at independence i think)). Funny enough,it was affiliated to the university of London? but the most ironic thing was that virtually all the courses introduced were in the Arts and humanities(hence the reason why 1st generation writers like achebe, soyinka,elechi Amadi, xtopher Okigbo etc are alumnus).this continued untill independence when the balewa government wary of its responsibility of establishing a truly technological based university in Nigeria decided to establish UNN Nsukka with full science and technological /engineering based courses(at that time only Yaba college Lagos offered technical courses/certificates). So one of the cardinal reasons why UNN was established was to provide Nigeria the technological manpower it desperately needed(hence their early alumnus were science and Engineering men). I hope this sets some things straight.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by ACM10: 3:40pm On Oct 18, 2012
Which alumni does the following past leaders belong to?

1. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa

2. Aguiyi Ironsi

3. Yakubu Gowon

4. Murtala Muhammed

5. Olusegun Obasanjo

6. Shehu Shagari

7. Muhamadu Buhari

8. Ibrahim Babangida

9. Ernest Shonekan

10. Sani Abacha

11. Abdulsalami Abubakar

12. Musa Yar Adua

13. Goodluck Jonathan

It's a shame that people who did not cross the gates of ivory towers are calling the shots in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 18, 2012
sagbar: OAU is da boomb! Ondo guber candidates speaks for ife;mimiko,Akeredolu and oke all graduated from ife

That's interesting.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 18, 2012
garri_gangster:

Peter Fatomilola and Kola Oyewo, two of the main guys in Mainframe, are Ife lecturers. Kola has a PhD, I dey see Peter drink palmwine for the back of dramatic arts department.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by oladayo042: 4:07pm On Oct 18, 2012
x-razzy:
TEAM ABU FOR SURE..... TO ADD TO THE UNENDING LIST, ANOTHER OUSTANDING ALUMNUS OF ABU IS PROFESSOR GABRIEL ONYIBO, GAGUT (GOD ALMIGHTY GRAND UNIFIED THEORY) PROPOUNDER AND 2-TIME NOMINEE OF THE PRESTIGIOUS NOBEL PRIZE FOR SCIENCE
Really? Please tell me more about the NOBEL PRIZE FOR SCIENCE.
Re: University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? by honeycandy(f): 4:08pm On Oct 18, 2012
I didn't see Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on that list. wink
afam4eva: One wonders why over 90% of the Alumni being posted for ABU are all politicians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chinenye Gloria Enukorah Is UNIZIK Nursin Best Graduating Student With 4.74 CGPA / GRV Addresses Lagos Civil Service, NURTW & Traditional Leaders (Video) / 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.