Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

career path advice 2.0 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / career path advice 2.0 (2454 Views)

Possible Career Path For A Physics Graduate / Please ADVICE: 2.2 And Masters Abroad / Career Path To Becoming A Diplomat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

career path advice 2.0 by joey4jo: 3:20pm On Jul 31, 2012
Hi. I am a student at one of the federal universities in nigeria, I am almost through with my studies. By the grace of the Almighty
I have had this had this dream for a while to study marine engineering, but the person who is going to sponsor me thinks its a bad idea.
He thinks marine is too "boxed in" and its not diverse, in a way I agree.
Anyways, the deal now is I am suppose to choose another area, which "is not so common but yet good and in demand". NLders, after so many years of dreaming one thing, I can't seem to think of any other areas where I believe is a good area.
I would appreciate if you guys can give areas where you think a mechanical engineer can advance his study, preferably anything related to renewable energy. I know there a lot of people out there who can help me, please don't just view, leave a post as well it might just end up helping..
Thank you in anticipation.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by joey4jo: 3:28pm On Jul 31, 2012
Letter to the mods!
(Asking like a 5 year old, wishing for gifts on christmas eve)
Mods, I wouldn't mind a helping hand.
That your mighty power can definitely come into good use here. I need urgent response that's why..
Thanks.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by joey4jo: 9:44am On Aug 01, 2012
Guys come on!
Re: career path advice 2.0 by yamakuza: 12:40am On Aug 02, 2012
joey4jo: Hi. I am a student at one of the federal universities in nigeria,

what are you studying?

I am almost through with my studies.

2.1 or 2.2 ?

By the grace of the Almighty
I have had this had this dream for a while to study marine engineering, but the person who is going to sponsor me thinks its a bad idea.
He thinks marine is too "boxed in" and its not diverse, in a way I agree.

depending on what you are studying, you can still work in a shipping/logistics company, or take certifications in that line.

Anyways, the deal now is I am suppose to choose another area, which "is not so common but yet good and in demand". NLders, after so many years of dreaming one thing, I can't seem to think of any other areas where I believe is a good area.
I would appreciate if you guys can give areas where you think a mechanical engineer can advance his study, preferably anything related to renewable energy. I know there a lot of people out there who can help me, please don't just view, leave a post as well it might just end up helping..
Thank you in anticipation.

i see you saved the best for last.

unfortunately, i am not aware of any renewable energy industry in Nigeria, unless you want to start yours.

its bad enough that engineers cant get technical jobs and have to work in banks.

you might want to target the oil&gas industry. maybe u'll get to work on rigs and ships. with time, you can take a masters degree in renewable energy and climb the ladder in the o&g industry.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by joey4jo: 11:11pm On Aug 02, 2012
what are you studying?
Mechanical engineering!
2.1 or 2.2 ?
Frankly I could end up with anyone.
depending on what you are studying, you
can still work in a shipping/logistics
company, or take certifications in that line.
That's far fetched, time is not really a luxury you know.
i see you saved the best for last.
unfortunately, i am not aware of any
renewable energy industry in Nigeria, unless
you want to start yours.
its bad enough that engineers cant get
technical jobs and have to work in banks.
you might want to target the oil&gas
industry. maybe u'll get to work on rigs
and ships. with time, you can take a masters
degree in renewable energy and climb the
ladder in the o&g industry.
My sponsor say I should look beyond oil and gas, that anybody can read anything and work in oil and gas industry. I should look towards where my course is heading in the next 5-10years.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by yamakuza: 3:16am On Aug 03, 2012
joey4jo:
Mechanical engineering!

Frankly I could end up with anyone.

That's far fetched, time is not really a luxury you know.

My sponsor say I should look beyond oil and gas, that anybody can read anything and work in oil and gas industry. I should look towards where my course is heading in the next 5-10years.

so, where does your sponsor think your course is heading in the next 5 to 10 years?
Re: career path advice 2.0 by joey4jo: 9:19am On Aug 03, 2012
yamakuza:

so, where does your sponsor think your course is heading in the next 5 to 10 years?

That's the question! He asked me to go find out that my self.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by AjanleKoko: 4:32pm On Aug 03, 2012
@OP,
Sounds like you're a regular Nigerian graduate stereotype. Shiftless, and indolent.
Wonder why anyone would want to sponsor you. Well, good luck to them and their wasted money.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by joey4jo: 7:27pm On Aug 03, 2012
AjanleKoko: @OP,
Sounds like you're a regular Nigerian graduate stereotype. Shiftless, and indolent.
Wonder why anyone would want to sponsor you. Well, good luck to them and their wasted money.
Just so you know, words do actually hurt you know! Just because you were or are not fortunate enough doesn't mean you should be hating!
Just so you know, read the initial post again! I have always had my mind made up and had and still have the passion for a certain career path. You think its easy just to change what you have always wanted??
For someone claiming to be educated and wise, your comment just says total opposite.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by AjanleKoko: 10:22am On Aug 04, 2012
joey4jo:
Just so you know, words do actually hurt you know! Just because you were or are not fortunate enough doesn't mean you should be hating!
Just so you know, read the initial post again! I have always had my mind made up and had and still have the passion for a certain career path. You think its easy just to change what you have always wanted??
For someone claiming to be educated and wise, your comment just says total opposite.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
In fact, I should flog you sef. Lazy boy.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by yemmyma: 11:45am On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

make both of una no kill me ooooo.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by AjanleKoko: 2:29pm On Aug 04, 2012
yemmy_ma:

make both of una no kill me ooooo.

The boy needs flogging, frankly speaking.
Wasting people's hard earned money. angry
Re: career path advice 2.0 by nitrogen(m): 4:02pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Haha, bros you bahd o.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by joey4jo: 5:09pm On Aug 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

lazy
If your not willing to help please keep to your self.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by violent(m): 6:20pm On Aug 04, 2012

Bros, I think your response is a bit on the harsh side. I went through the post again and I'm not sure what may have made you reply with a hard tone. I think most people will at one time or the other, have to make difficult decisions about their career and it's usually a lot more difficult in an environment that provides little to no guidance for career starters. I will also believe that this section of Nairaland was created to address such challenges and so that more experienced people like you could provide better guidance.

All of that said, I'm all in for flogging errant youngsters who should learn to put their posts and questions in a much more polite manner that makes it easy for anyone to help with sound opinion.

@OP

I think you will have to realize at some point that the decisions about your career is yours and yours alone to make. And i think the sooner you make your sponsor realize it, the better for all parties in the long run. I'm also hoping that your sponsor is someone close, like your dad, who is flexible enough to not force an opinion on you....if not, tough luck mate!
Questions like yours are not unusual, as a matter of fact, if you take a quick look around, you will be surprised to find a number of posts similar to yours.

First, there's no such thing as "an area which is not common but yet in demand"....the only area i can think, off on top of my head, that fits this description is being a time traveler...as you will find more people willing to pay to fix the mistakes of the past or getting a sneak peak into the future.
Jokes aside, think about it for a second. If everyone is willing to pay a million dollars for the services of a Barber, then why would anyone who is financially motivated choose to become a medical doctor?

Second, You must accept the reality that life doesn't give out free lunches. It's a Jungle son, you fight for your keep. Whichever way your career takes, there are very high chances that you wouldn't get your dream job or position immediately on graduation --- all that, you have to work for!..The world is getting more competitive and there are more people with great degrees looking for a job, this is where the law of the jungle comes in, you will have to fight for you keep

Third, In my thinking, there are about 3 ways to become successful notwithstanding which path you take

a) By being extremely Lucky / the God factor
b) By being incredibly smart, having a ruthless unyielding personality and a strong convincing character.
c) By the quality of your network (or your parent's network)
(having good looks, great smile, good accent etc, helps a great deal too)

You will have to find out which of the three works most for you and then maximize it!!!

Fourth, Your choice of "which area" should eventually be based on what resources (outside of the knowledge gained in classrooms) are available for you to succeed.

Fifth, taking a four to five year view on you career may include considering geographic dynamics. If for instance, you believe that Nigeria may eventually become Africa's next financial hub, then you may wish to carve out a niche for yourself in Finance. If you think the country may at some point stop relying on oil and gas and focus on Agriculture, then you may wish to consider a career in an area such as Agriculture Development. Whatever you do, it's always best to build your decisions around your own convictions......here's probably the best time to ask the question: Why renewable energy?

Sixth, the choice of career involves an element of risk. You just have to take the plunge and stick with it!!!...In many cases, you have to learn to trust your own gut feelings. My dad seriously wanted me to become a surgeon, but i refused flatly based on the simple fact that it's just not what i wanted for myself. You will have to define your own life, and you will have to learn to take responsibility for those choices you make.

Sorry if my post doesn't really help in terms of specific questions you are hoping to get answers for, but then, hopefully you may have gained an insight or two. Plus it will help me to easily copy and paste whenever someone else comes up to ask "What should i do with my life".

3 Likes

Re: career path advice 2.0 by AjanleKoko: 10:00pm On Aug 04, 2012
violent:
Bros, I think your response is a bit on the harsh side. I went through the post again and I'm not sure what may have made you reply with a hard tone.

I agree I was quite harsh. Deservedly so. I'm no cyber bully, but I think a number of our youth need to be knocked upside the head with a 2 by 4, so they can wake up.
This is why i was harsh.

joey4jo:
Mechanical engineering!

Frankly I could end up with anyone. (talking about 2:1 or 2:2)

That's far fetched, time is not really a luxury you know. (he wants to be babysat? A fellow in final year?)

If the OP was my aburo, and I was responsible for his education, i would flog him, or at least hit him over the head with something. If he has spent almost 5 years in school and cannot say with a certainty what he would likely end up with (by way of graduating degree), he suppose chop cane.

Secondly . . . he has a dream to study marine engineering, or so he said. Fine. Should he not have researched marine engineering by now, where the career is likely to take him, what opportunities would be available to him, etc. Or he just likes the sound of marine engineering?

Again, I judge from his post. But it appears his sponsor is asking serious questions, stuff he should have thought about long before now, and he's still quite casual about it. Imagine if he has to take a loan from the bank to further his education? Which banker would advance him any credit judging by those responses?

@OP, if someone like me says you need to chop cane, you don't need to take offence. What you need to do is ask, bros i am sorry, what do i need to know? what am i doing wrong right now?. I don't know you from Adam. But I feel sorry for your sponsor, frankly speaking. You should be asking him what you need to do, not Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: career path advice 2.0 by violent(m): 10:39pm On Aug 04, 2012

I agree I was quite harsh. Deservedly so. I'm no cyber bully, but I think a number of our youth need to be knocked upside the head with a 2 by 4, so they can wake up.
This is why i was harsh.

True this!...but i honestly think there's a growing societal problem that makes people really confused at the start of their careers. Schools ought to be more active on providing guidance to students about what their expectations should be and how they can better prepare themselves for the "crazy world"...I think schools have failed in this singular aspect (not as though they have done very well in any other aspect), and i think the societal norm where people get dictated to rather than be allowed to choose freely for themselves is seriously damaging!

If the OP was my aburo, and I was responsible for his education, i would flog him, or at least hit him over the head with something. If he has spent almost 5 years in school and cannot say with a certainty what he would likely end up with (by way of graduating degree), he suppose chop cane.

I find that a bit weird as well. It does come up with the nonchalant tone of someone who couldn't be bothered about his grades.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by AjanleKoko: 10:53pm On Aug 04, 2012
violent:

True this!...but i honestly think there's a growing societal problem that makes people really confused at the start of their careers. Schools ought to be more active on providing guidance to students about what their expectations should be and how they can better prepare themselves for the "crazy world"...I think schools have failed in this singular aspect (not as though they have done very well in any other aspect), and i think the societal norm where people get dictated to rather than be allowed to choose freely for themselves is seriously damaging!

Some of the schools need counselling themselves grin

But seriously, our youth are in a bad place. And they are not even interested in getting out of it.

1 Like

Re: career path advice 2.0 by yemmyma: 11:24pm On Aug 04, 2012
It is a known fact to those who understand and have experienced a working system that Nigeria is a mess. A total mess.

In as much as i believe guidance and counselling is important for the younger ones at that point of making crucial decisions like choosing a career, i believe this is a decision that can also be made out of ones convictions as well as learn from the society at large.

When it was time for me to choose a course back then on my jamb form, i always knew medicine was a good option because i wanted to stop working with maths. I was fine with anything else but maths. After i got jambed on numerous occasion, i decided to change my course options to computer related fields, just because i have had a very good background with computer applications immediately out of secondary school.

I believe choosing courses on the basis of what it sound like is a mistake that should be corrected in our system.

The Op knew what he wanted but does not know why he wanted it. Thus, making it difficult for him to convince his sponsor on his course option.

Op, if you are in a situation like i described in the last paragraph, maybe you should start by using google to find out genuine reasons why you opted for marine engineering. I am sure your sponsor will reason with your reason.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: career path advice 2.0 by joey4jo: 11:55pm On Aug 04, 2012
violent:

Bros, I think your response is a bit on the harsh side. I went through the post again and I'm not sure what may have made you reply with a hard tone. I think most people will at one time or the other, have to make difficult decisions about their career and it's usually a lot more difficult in an environment that provides little to no guidance for career starters. I will also believe that this section of Nairaland was created to address such challenges and so that more experienced people like you could provide better guidance.

All of that said, I'm all in for flogging errant youngsters who should learn to put their posts and questions in a much more polite manner that makes it easy for anyone to help with sound opinion.

@OP

I think you will have to realize at some point that the decisions about your career is yours and yours alone to make. And i think the sooner you make your sponsor realize it, the better for all parties in the long run. I'm also hoping that your sponsor is someone close, like your dad, who is flexible enough to not force an opinion on you....if not, tough luck mate!
Questions like yours are not unusual, as a matter of fact, if you take a quick look around, you will be surprised to find a number of posts similar to yours.

First, there's no such thing as "an area which is not common but yet in demand"....the only area i can think, off on top of my head, that fits this description is being a time traveler...as you will find more people willing to pay to fix the mistakes of the past or getting a sneak peak into the future.
Jokes aside, think about it for a second. If everyone is willing to pay a million dollars for the services of a Barber, then why would anyone who is financially motivated choose to become a medical doctor?

Second, You must accept the reality that life doesn't give out free lunches. It's a Jungle son, you fight for your keep. Whichever way your career takes, there are very high chances that you wouldn't get your dream job or position immediately on graduation --- all that, you have to work for!..The world is getting more competitive and there are more people with great degrees looking for a job, this is where the law of the jungle comes in, you will have to fight for you keep

Third, In my thinking, there are about 3 ways to become successful notwithstanding which path you take

b) By being incredibly smart, having a ruthless unyielding personality and a strong convincing character.

You will have to find out which of the three works most for you and then maximize it!!!

Fourth, Your choice of "which area" should eventually be based on what resources (outside of the knowledge gained in classrooms) are available for you to succeed.

Fifth, taking a four to five year view on you career may include considering geographic dynamics. If for instance, you believe that Nigeria may eventually become Africa's next financial hub, then you may wish to carve out a niche for yourself in Finance. If you think the country may at some point stop relying on oil and gas and focus on Agriculture, then you may wish to consider a career in an area such as Agriculture Development. Whatever you do, it's always best to build your decisions around your own convictions......here's probably the best time to ask the question: Why renewable energy?

Sixth, the choice of career involves an element of risk. You just have to take the plunge and stick with it!!!...In many cases, you have to learn to trust your own gut feelings. My dad seriously wanted me to become a surgeon, but i refused flatly based on the simple fact that it's just not what i wanted for myself. You will have to define your own life, and you will have to learn to take responsibility for those choices you make.

Sorry if my post doesn't really help in terms of specific questions you are hoping to get answers for, but then, hopefully you may have gained an insight or two. Plus it will help me to easily copy and paste whenever someone else comes up to ask "What should i do with my life".

Thank you very much. I love your response it's actually what I needed. Ultimately the decision lies with me, that I have always known. My question or the reason for this thread was to get ideas of what other career path are there I could consider, as I have spent a significant amount of time on research of my initial passion.
That's why I came to the forum, so that professionals like your self could guide me.

violent:

If the OP was my aburo, and I was
responsible for his education, i would flog
him, or at least hit him over the head with
something. If he has spent almost 5 years
in school and cannot say with a certainty
what he would likely end up with (by way of graduating degree), he suppose chop cane.

violent: I find that a bit weird as well. It does come
up with the nonchalant tone of someone
who couldn't be bothered about his grades.

I am in 2.2 now but with hard work I can end up with a 2.1. That's why I said I could end up with any.

violent: Secondly . . . he has a dream to study
marine engineering, or so he said. Fine.
Should he not have researched marine
engineering by now, where the career is
likely to take him, what opportunities would
be available to him, etc. Or he just likes the sound of marine engineering ?
T was the reason I choose mech engin,I then did extensive research later in life.

violent: @OP, if someone like me says you need to
chop cane, you don't need to take offence.
What you need to do is ask, bros i am sorry, what do i need to know? what am i
doing wrong right now? . I don't know you from Adam. But I feel sorry for your
sponsor, frankly speaking. You should be
asking him what you need to do, not
Nairaland.
Ok, what am I doing wrong? What do I need to do?

[quote author=violent][/quote]
Re: career path advice 2.0 by joey4jo: 12:04am On Aug 05, 2012
yemmy_ma: It is a known fact to those who understand and have experienced a working system that Nigeria is a mess. A total mess.

In as much as i believe guidance and counselling is important for the younger ones at that point of making crucial decisions like choosing a career, i believe this is a decision that can also be made out of ones convictions as well as learn from the society at large.

When it was time for me to choose a course back then on my jamb form, i always knew medicine was a good option because i wanted to stop working with maths. I was fine with anything else but maths. After i got jambed on numerous occasion, i decided to change my course options to computer related fields, just because i have had a very good background with computer applications immediately out of secondary school.

I believe choosing courses on the basis of what it sound like is a mistake that should be corrected in our system.

The Op knew what he wanted but does not know why he wanted it. Thus, making it difficult for him to convince his sponsor on his course option.

Op, if you are in a situation like i described in the last paragraph, maybe you should start by using google to find out genuine reasons why you opted for marine engineering. I am sure your sponsor will reason with your reason.

All the best.

Thank you very much, very simple but greatly appreciated. Il do more research. Because I sincerely don't feel anything else. Tried to, but I just can't.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by sisieko2001: 12:08am On Aug 05, 2012
joey4jo:

Thank you very much, very simple but greatly appreciated. Il do more research. Because I[b] sincerely don't feel anything else. Tried to, but I just can't[/b].

young man. you had better try much harder.

its a tough world out there especially in the job market and the global economy is still gloomy.

you are better off with a course that is easily adaptable. in my own opinion, marine engineering is not.

best of luck with whatever path you eventually choose.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by sisieko2001: 12:16am On Aug 05, 2012
violent:

@OP

OP,

best advice ever !! these are serious words of wisdom !
Re: career path advice 2.0 by sisieko2001: 12:21am On Aug 05, 2012

just hear this t**t !

violent:

Violet, God bless you. Thanks for replying the t**t with the classiest response ever to such a s****less comment.

You could not have said it any better !

a young man is here seeking for advice and yet one man in his 40s is replying through his a**s
Re: career path advice 2.0 by yamakuza: 12:24am On Aug 05, 2012
^ i'll have to hide your posts, madam.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by sisieko2001: 12:30am On Aug 05, 2012
yamakuza: ^ i'll have to hide your posts, madam.

why

why not wait for ajaneloko or whatever he calls himself to read it. or are you afraid of him??

he talked down on a young man desperately seeking for career advice and you did not think it was sensible to call him to order or hide his post??

i'm happy with the response given to him by violet and i know he read it and hid his head in shame.

and you had better not hide this post angry angry angry angry angry angry

you should not encourage ''cyber career bullying'' or let anyone sit on his high horse and talk down on the dreams/aspirations/challenges of young men
Re: career path advice 2.0 by yamakuza: 12:44am On Aug 05, 2012
he can read hidden posts, and reply if necessary.

i'm not really cool with name calling on NL and especially in this section, thats why i hid it.

wouldnt want this thread to turn into something the op didnt intend.

thanks for understanding.

i'll modify and unhide the one(s) i can
Re: career path advice 2.0 by joey4jo: 12:45am On Aug 05, 2012
sisieko2001:

its a tough world out there especially in the job market and the global economy is still gloomy.

you are better off with a course that is easily adaptable. in my own opinion, marine engineering is not.

Ok, ill also try and research other things, but I don't think I'll give up on the marine.

sisieko2001:

Ok, ill also try and research other things, but I don't think I'll give up on the marine.

sisieko2001:

OP,

best advice ever !! these are serious words of wisdom !
They truly are. Working on them right now.
Thank you all, I really appreciate.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by Nobody: 9:25am On Aug 05, 2012
@op
What actually do you want in life , money or fulfilment ? While both aren't related you can still get both from the same source. I suggest you sit down and take a look at your life thus far , the answers you seek should be visible with hindsight.
Re: career path advice 2.0 by joey4jo: 9:40am On Aug 05, 2012
apocalypse: @op
What actually do you want in life , money or fulfilment ? While both aren't related you can still get both from the same source. I suggest you sit down and take a look at your life thus far , the answers you seek should be visible with hindsight.

I think it's Written all over if you ask me, fufilment! Money is just a reward for that. Thanks for the advice
Re: career path advice 2.0 by sisieko2001: 6:27pm On Aug 05, 2012
joey4jo:

I think it's Written all over if you ask me, fufilment! Money is just a reward for that. Thanks for the advice

i was once like you..... years ago. i wanted to be as astronaut. that for me was the only career that could give me fulfillment.

reality kicked in after graduation grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get a Proffessional CV From Me Today. / Nigerian Society Of Engineer Past Examination Question / Qualification For Chevron Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.