Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Which Other African Attire Do You Like? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Other African Attire Do You Like? (35705 Views)

Chinese Man Rocking Yoruba Traditional Attire (Photos) / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by onila(f): 3:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
non Nigerians or other Africans always say they like Nigerian traditional attires especially the GELE(the huge scarf we tie on our hair). many think we have the best trad attires in Africa

but apart from the Nigerian trad attires I like the south African female attire especially those huge round hats smiley

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by onila(f): 3:04pm On Aug 02, 2012
Nigerian swag! smiley

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 02, 2012
I like the Igbo's red hat (not the European wooly hat) - and my Yoruba attire to match.. IGWE!!!! cool

Igbo Red Hat
[img]http://1.2.3.9/bmi/dupsies.com/Dstore/images/DPH259.jpg[/img]

Yoruba Attire
[img]http://1.2.3.12/bmi/images.powerhousemuseum.com/images/zoomify/thumbs/167906.jpg[/img]
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 02, 2012
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by anonymous6(f): 4:23pm On Aug 02, 2012
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 02, 2012
anonymous6: Yoruba attire all the way

Is gele a Yoruba attire?

If it is - that means all the non-yoruba wearing it borrowed it from us..

Interesting. cool
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 02, 2012
Gele is not only a yoruba attire. Most tribes in Nigeria wear a headtie, and they have their names for it.
An elaborate headtie is simply a Nigerian thing. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 02, 2012
Gele is not a Yoruba thing, but many of the newer designs are specifically designed by Yorubas for Yoruba owambe.

1 Like

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by anonymous6(f): 6:02pm On Aug 02, 2012
shymmex:

Is gele a Yoruba attire?

If it is - that means all the non-yoruba wearing it borrowed it from us..

Interesting. cool

It is but it is not a yoruba thing only though at the same time

1 Like

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Aug 02, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Gele is not a Yoruba thing, but many of the newer designs are specifically designed by Yorubas for Yoruba owambe.

Which designs? Lmao!
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Aug 02, 2012
stillwater:

Which designs? Lmao!

The modern ones lmao!
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 12:04am On Aug 03, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

The modern ones lmao!

Lol, even my grandma has been tying different gele styles you think are modern, let alone my mama. I wish I have her photos with me.

2 Likes

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 12:09am On Aug 03, 2012
stillwater:

Lol, even my grandma has been tying different gele styles you think are modern, let alone my mama. I wish I have her photos with me.

Stop the nonsense. Geles, or whatever you guys call it, were not the same as flamboyant they were a few years back.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 12:23am On Aug 03, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Stop the nonsense. Geles, or whatever you guys call it, were not the same as flamboyant they were a few years back.

Slow your roll, they were. Maybe in the village side of Ekiti they weren't grin, but in Lagos and most of the East, geles were flamboyant. I believe geles are more contained now and have more rhythm.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 12:41am On Aug 03, 2012
stillwater:

Slow your roll, they were. Maybe in the village side of Ekiti they weren't grin, but in Lagos and most of the East, geles were flamboyant. I believe geles are more contained now and have more rhythm.

Back then they were not as flamboyant as fashionable as they are today.
Most of the new styles (colors, designed, etc) are designed mostly by Yorubas for Yoruba "loud" parties.
LMAO@ gele more contained today.
Compare a 70s gele to today's gele if you like. Even in your village East it was still as dull and less stylish. I doubt the same materials were available to us back then.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:03am On Aug 03, 2012
Materials have changed, not the flamboyance of the style. tongue
People tie their geles themselves, don't start saying na yoruba dey design them. There are 'expert' tiers of gele everywhere across Nigeria.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:08am On Aug 03, 2012
Compare a picture from the 70s and now.

Materials cannot change while style/design/ flamboyancy stays the same.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:12am On Aug 03, 2012
[img]http://1.bp..com/-mot7G-OHM5E/T-6xx7ytKNI/AAAAAAAAUk0/25cwiEUo5D4/s1600/Madam-kofo-1.jpg[/img]

I don't have an old pic of Madam Kofo, but from time immemorial that was how people of Lagos tied their gele. I am an 80's baby and I've known madam kofo since then.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:16am On Aug 03, 2012
That picture is not an 80s picture, and that material was not available back in the 70s-80s.

Simply find an older picture.

Anywaz. . . this is still my post for anyone with better clarification:

Ileke-IdI:

Now, it's a "Nigerian" thing. Okay.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:16am On Aug 03, 2012
Personally I think geles are even more contained now like the pic below. Although there are the ones that just want to go all out.

[img]http://www.lifestories.spruz.com/gfile/75r4!-!HGFGGG!-!zrzor45!-!FSNDFMMJ-DRJE-HKKR-OMDR-RDSFISENPNON!!72y1nq/a_northern_nigerian_woman_at_own_wedding.jpg[/img]
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:18am On Aug 03, 2012
stillwater: Personally I think geles are even more contained now like the pic below. Although there are the ones that just want to go all out.

[img]http://www.lifestories.spruz.com/gfile/75r4!-!HGFGGG!-!zrzor45!-!FSNDFMMJ-DRJE-HKKR-OMDR-RDSFISENPNON!!72y1nq/a_northern_nigerian_woman_at_own_wedding.jpg[/img]

It's not "contained". There are several 21st century Gele styles, and this is just one of them.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:20am On Aug 03, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

That picture is not an 80s picture, and that material was not available back in the 70s-80s.

Never said it was an 80's pic. Ask anyone around you about Madam kofo, and the flamboyance of her styles. And yes the paper gele was available in the 80's.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:23am On Aug 03, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

It's not "contained". There are several 21st century Gele styles, and this is just one of them.

It's not all over the place as before, it has more structure and rhythm now.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:28am On Aug 03, 2012
stillwater:

It's not all over the place as before, it has more structure and rhythm now.

*Ileke-IdI:

Like I said, we still have ones that are "all over the place". Different styles.

stillwater:

Never said it was an 80's pic. Ask anyone around you about Madam kofo, and the flamboyance of her styles. And yes the paper gele was available in the 80's.

Post SEVERAL 80S pix and compare them to what we have today.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:28am On Aug 03, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

Now, it's a "Nigerian" thing. Okay.

I still don't get that your statement, how new gele designs are done by Yorubas? Is there a way to tie a Yoruba gele? Because I was thinking style na style?

1 Like

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:29am On Aug 03, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

Like I said, we still have ones that are "all over the place". Different styles.

Post SEVERAL 80S pix and compare them to what we have today.

Yeah because I will find 80's Nigerian pics on the internet, abi?
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:31am On Aug 03, 2012
stillwater:

Yeah because I will find 80's Nigerian pics on the internet, abi?

Yes, many 60-90s picture have been posted on NL several times.
If you must make a claim, you might as well back it up.
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:34am On Aug 03, 2012
stillwater:

I still don't get that your statement, how new gele designs are done by Yorubas? Is there a way to tie a Yoruba gele? Because I was thinking style na style?

Yes, style was NOT style before it spreads to other parts of Nigeria.

Before, Yorubas had a way of tying their knots in the front, middle and back of the head.

Many of the fashion designers coming out with new styles (like Segun Gele) were/are Yorubas.

Just like Cosmetic was not just cosmetic. Remember how the "black pencil" lip liner was not even practiced in Nigeria before Hollywood influence?
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:35am On Aug 03, 2012
Geles are more contained now. grin

Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:37am On Aug 03, 2012
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:37am On Aug 03, 2012
Re: Which Other African Attire Do You Like? by Nobody: 1:38am On Aug 03, 2012
When you're done playing with irrelevant pictures, you can post the 70/80s picture for comparison

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

NSCDC Special Female Squad Visits Alaafin Of Oyo (Pictures) / Oba Adeyemi Adediran Ordained As Pastor 13 Years After His Coronation (Photos) / Ganduje Vs Sanusi: Emir Sanusi Bars ‘Sokon’ Kano From Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.