Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,147 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:46 AM

Resume Tips and More. . . . - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Resume Tips and More. . . . (15349 Views)

7 Not To Miss Resume Tips / CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview / Format Of A Nigerian Resume (CV) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by cyril83(m): 8:11am On Aug 03, 2012
I agree with you babe
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by octar6: 8:18am On Aug 03, 2012
nice.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by henrychubayo: 8:37am On Aug 03, 2012
Nice thread.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Chuksaluta(m): 9:24am On Aug 03, 2012
All these preparations just to get a job, the issue is that there is no job that's why one has to go through all this. After spending 5 yrs in school one will still need to get like 2 certification before standing the chance of getting a good chance.
At times I reason if all graduates in nigeria had phd, will it mean the end of unemployment?
I don't believe in putting efforts to get a job, I had rather put that effort in creating one.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by nkemmu(f): 9:44am On Aug 03, 2012
All these ones na for those wey no no anybody.those wey get god fathers no even get CV come to talk of an interestn resume..mcheww!
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by GentleNaaz(m): 10:09am On Aug 03, 2012
If all applicants augur ds credenced technique, d interviewers go bcom chaotic and confused. Wahala go dy o
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by lumeneng22: 10:10am On Aug 03, 2012
I think say na naija peson de write this. My pple just research what is obtainable in your country and add your brain.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by God2man(m): 11:43am On Aug 03, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Are you frustrated because you've applied for dozens of jobs online and haven't heard back?

This is probably one of the most common frustrations of job seekers.

What can you do? Differentiate yourself from the hundreds of other job seekers.

Here are four ways to be that stand-out applicant:

1) Adapt your resume and cover letter. Take the time to adapt your resume to address the requirements of the job posting.

First look at the job posting and carefully analyze what they are looking for. Underline key skills sets, technical terms, and technology mentioned in the posting. Have you used these specific words in your summary of qualifications? Do you incorporate them in the accomplishment bullets under each job? Have you included them within your resume's technology section? Use the same underlined words and phrases in your cover letter and, most importantly, make sure you explain why you're interested in working for that company.

Your final step is to ask yourself this: can the employer clearly see (without having to think) how your experience relates to the job? This sounds like a lot of work, but once you get the hang of it, the process gets easier and faster.

And honestly, are any two job descriptions exactly the same? Why would you think you could use a single, unmodified version of your resume?

2) Take ownership. Stop waiting. Take action. If the jobs you applied for are truly of interest, then it is worth your time and effort to follow up with an email or phone call. Be sure you follow the instructions--for example, if the ad said, "No calls please," that means you shouldn't call. It is up to you (for your sanity) to find out the status of the job opening. When you do make contact or before you leave the interview, always ask what the next steps are and when you can follow up. You shouldn't have to, but the reality is, if you want an answer, you will need to. A very general rule of thumb is to follow up weekly, but ask the question to know for sure. We can't change other people's behavior, we can only change our own. Be systematic and persistent.

No news is NOT necessarily bad news. Companies don't keep applicants waiting purposely. There may be many valid reasons why they haven't contacted you yet: time lines slip, priorities switch, and sometimes financial situations change. Instead of assuming the company has filled the position or is not interested in you, follow up persistently and regularly and be sure to ask when you should follow up again. If you haven't already identified someone within the company, see the next point to understand why that is important. If it is a company or job you are interested in, don't give up.

3. Find an insider. Reach out to everyone you know and find someone who works for the company with the posted opening. When you find someone, ask them if they know about the job, its status, and who they might recommend you speak with to find out more. A company insider could potentially forward your resume along as a referral. They could also become a source of information for the status of the hiring process and let you know what is going on.

You might be able to find names of people to contact on the company website, on LinkedIn, the company's blog, in press releases and newsletters, or on Twitter. People want to help if they can, but remember to be polite and respectful because you will need them to be an advocate for you or perhaps an informant.

[b]4. Don't be a victim. [/b]Sure the employer has what you want...a job. But, that doesn't mean they have all the control. Think about what you can do to feel empowered. Take control of what you can. By taking action, at least you will know that you did EVERYTHING possible.

Article Here

Number 2 is one I always stress for job seekers. Don't wait, take action. . .especially after an interview. Send a Thank you for interviewing with me letter where you stress how after the interview, you are sure now more than ever that you are capable of doing the job. People (at least normal people) always respond well to POLITENESS.

During the interview. . . you make sure you find someone you can form a rapport with, so when you reach out to them a few days/weeks later it won't be just out of the blue.

I believe the biggest misconception about jobs and interviews is that the EMPLOYERS hold all the cards, if they did. . .they won't be looking for someone. So never approach the interviewer or anyone in the company hat in hand, like you are begging for something. You have a skill they need and ya darn well should be respected for it. I see people so desperate for jobs, they let the mai guards ride roughshod over them. Whaaaaaat? angry angry.

If you don't have confidence in yourself, how can you sell yourself? I'm not saying stroll in their all arrogant and whatnot, just saying be confident because you know you can do what they want.

Another thing most people don't know is that the interview process is A TWO WAY STREET, you are allowed to ask questions too (not about salary and bonuses oh) but questions like how long have you worked here, why do you like it? What the corporate culture like. . .SHOW INTEREST IN THE JOB AND THE COMPANY. Some people get in there and say nothing, just waiting patiently to be asked questions, they can answer to and most of the time it is yes and no answers. Ughhhh!!!

Let me let you in on a secret - THE INTERVIEWER IS ALSO AS NERVOUS AS YOU ARE! People think it is easy knowing what you are the final say on whether someone gets a job or not. It is nerve wrecking and helping to put the interviewer at ease by being personable GOES A LONG WAY but don't over do it. I've seen guys walk into an interview room and think because the interviewer is female, they can be all flirty. . .some to the point of being condescending. BIG, HUGE MISTAKE! cheesy cheesy

For ladies, don't get in there and start pulling a Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct like moves with your legs. . .sure you might get the job but you just might hafta spend half of the time doing it on your knees. . . lipsrsealed (and I swear to God, if anyone makes a comment about knowing from experienc, I will. . .I will. . .okay, I don't know what I will do yet but I will do something. cheesy . Seriously though. . .you have to remember that PEOPLE talk and an office is the perfect playground for gossip)

Bottom line - BE CONFIDENT, BE PERSONABLE, BE RESPECTFUL AND MOST IMPORTANTLY REMEMBER YOUR WORTH!!!!!
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by God2man(m): 11:45am On Aug 03, 2012
Sisi_Kill: THE JOB HUNTING COACH INTERVIEWING TIPS

How to separate yourself from the competition and WOW potential employers, you need to show then you are the candidate who can meet their wants.

Every Potential Employer is looking for 3 things (no matter what kind of job it is)

1) That you can do the job
2) That you want to do the job
3) That you can work well with others

How do you demonstrate you can do the job?

The coach is here to help you
[flash=560,315]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUt-HugkBQw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

If anyone is unable to watch the video, lemme know and I can transcribe it.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Sike(m): 1:24pm On Aug 03, 2012
Subscribed!
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by that3as3r: 2:33pm On Aug 03, 2012
There's only one way to stand out in a job search in Nigeria, Know the Fcukin Boss or someone who knows another certain someone....
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by eldee(m): 3:44pm On Aug 03, 2012
Jarus:
1, After repackaging my CV to suit the requirements, I covered it with a letter I titled '5 reasons why I fit the bill'. Because I knew from the advert that a top MN consulting firm will be doing the recruitment, I emphasized the training I had with that firm 2 years ago on that covering, in addition to 4 other points, all short, concise and well bulleted.

Could you please email me the letter you sent, it's okay if you don't want to, but it will be really helpful if you do.

2 Likes

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by SisiKill1: 11:09pm On Aug 03, 2012
My apologies all. . .will be updating the thread as soon as I can.

RESUME TIPS NEXT.

@ Jarus
Thanks for your personal story, I bet many have learnt from it. The reason I posted this was because a friend used these tips and it worked. Honestly a month or so ago I woulda been one of those going. . .In Naija? How do you want it? But now I know better. . . Lol!

1 Like

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Egbagirl(f): 11:55pm On Aug 03, 2012
Quite honestly, I think we need to get out of this "not in naija" mentality. Things aren't gonna be different if we stick to the norm and just accept whatever. If we just keep applying for jobs the same old boring way, then we just gonna keep going round in circles. Things are not going to change and we are not going to move forward. There are a lot of foreign companies in naija too that are looking for people that stand out. People need to take the initiative to market themselves well. Like earlier mentioned, the company needs your skills. They wanna know what you are bringing to the table and you need to have something unique about you. Something they will remember. Something that will make you stand out from the 500 thousand applicants.

1 Like

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by wealthpriest: 9:43am On Aug 04, 2012

1 Like

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 04, 2012
that3as3r: There's only one way to stand out in a job search in Nigeria, Know the Fcukin Boss or someone who knows another certain someone....
This is another reason why many people are unemployable in Nigeria. With this kind of mentality, you may never get job!

There is still merit in Nigeria, any of us got job in big oil companies without knowing anybody.

Here is my assessment:
Oil coys(IOCs): Merit is 95%
Nigerian oil coys: 90% merit driven
Other private sector(Banks etc): 70% merit based
Public sector(CBN, NNPC etc): 70% merit based (my friend got NNPC job without knowing anybody, although he rejected it)
Public Sector(MDAs): 50%

I am talking from my enlightened observation.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by nitrogen(m): 4:32pm On Aug 04, 2012
Jarus:
This is another reason why many people are unemployable in Nigeria. With this kind of mentality, you may never get job!

There is still merit in Nigeria, any of us got job in big oil companies without knowing anybody.

Here is my assessment:
Oil coys(IOCs): Merit is 95%
Nigerian oil coys: 90% merit driven
Other private sector(Banks etc): 70% merit based
Public sector(CBN, NNPC etc): 70% merit based (my friend got NNPC job without knowing anybody, although he rejected it)
Public Sector(MDAs): 50%

I am talking from my enlightened observation.
Exactly bros, thats my own believe too.

But what about this.....
eldee:

Could you please email me the letter you sent, it's okay if you don't want to, but it will be really helpful if you do.
Can i make this request too?
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by SisiKill1: 7:21pm On Aug 04, 2012
Egba girl: Quite honestly, I think we need to get out of this "not in naija" mentality. Things aren't gonna be different if we stick to the norm and just accept whatever. If we just keep applying for jobs the same old boring way, then we just gonna keep going round in circles. Things are not going to change and we are not going to move forward. There are a lot of foreign companies in naija too that are looking for people that stand out. People need to take the initiative to market themselves well. Like earlier mentioned, the company needs your skills. They wanna know what you are bringing to the table and you need to have something unique about you. Something they will remember. Something that will make you stand out from the 500 thousand applicants.

Thank you!!

Honestly like I said earlier. . .a month ago, I would have been one of the "In Naija? Yeah right" chanters but my recent experience with someone who made a success out of it made me rethink my stance.

Who was it who said insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result? If the old ways have brought very little results, how about changing things up? Yeah, there is no denying there are things about our country that needs a major overhaul. . but sometimes just changing our orientation can be the first. . . simplest.step to making the bigger changes.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Egbagirl(f): 7:32pm On Aug 04, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Thank you!!

Honestly like I said earlier. . .a month ago, I would have been one of the "In Naija? Yeah right" chanters but my recent experience with someone who made a success out of it made me rethink my stance.

Who was it who said insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result? If the old ways have brought very little results, how about changing things up? Yeah, there is no denying there are things about our country that needs a major overhaul. . but sometimes just changing our orientation can be the first. . . simplest.step to making the bigger changes.

Right! It starts with our mentality. We need to think differently first in order to act differently and thats what makes us stand out. All those people that do big things, it doesnt happen by doing what everyone else does. Otherwise, they wont be the talk of the town would they? Like I always say, na we dey also "do" ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by eldee(m): 2:13pm On Aug 05, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Who was it who said insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

Albert Einstein cheesy
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by SisiKill1: 12:53pm On Aug 06, 2012
eldee:

Albert Einstein cheesy

Smart Man!!! cheesy
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by SisiKill1: 1:28pm On Aug 06, 2012
Resumes In 2012: What's Old, What's New?

It seems everyone has an opinion on what a resume should contain, how many pages it should be and how it should be formatted. So as we enter into a new year, what are the universally agreed-upon elements that are in, and which ones are now passe? Here are some of the best practices when it comes to crafting your resume in 2012:

1. Stop trying to make 'objective statements' happen.
The days of including a career objective and/or professional summary are over. It's a waste of valuable space. Instead, just address this with a sentence in your cover letter about how the position you're applying for fits into your overall career plan. Get to business by starting with accomplishments and facts that are relevant to the job posting.

2. Be concrete.
Use numbers and proof of what you've done. "Increased sales by 35 percent through client profiling campaign" is better than "Increased sales in my region." Stop putting generic tasks down, and instead, get creative in portraying what you did in your role or how you brought forth new ideas for products, processes, efficiency, etc. The more you can quantify your efforts with actual numbers or data, the better positioned you'll be.

3. Cover letters are back.
Like the "two page versus one page" debate, the subject of cover letters is heated. While some recruiters say they don't bother looking at them, others say some job seekers have grown lazy and won't take the time to write one or tailor one specifically to the company to which they are applying. It's a perfect opportunity to sell yourself, and it's where you can infuse personality into your application. But once you craft a terrific cover letter, don't just push it out to every job prospect. Take the extra few minutes to tailor it to why you want that specific job at that specific company and why your skills would benefit the overall organization if hired.

4. Keywords are your friend.
If a recruiter or manager can put your resume side-by-side with the job requirements and check off the same keywords, you've made his life so much easier. Instead of using a lot of useless jargon on your resume, pay attention to the keywords in the job posting. Be sure to use them in your resume and cover letter, because even applicant tracking systems are based on keyword searches. Just as you use keywords to search for jobs, employers are using keywords to find your resume.

5. Get creative with quick response codes.
Young professionals are using QR codes -- bar codes that can be scanned by smartphones to download or link to information -- on the back of business cards and on their resume to link to online portfolios. As you network and attend career fairs, you're able to pass out business cards with the QR code that can link recruiters and other contacts to either your portfolio or LinkedIn profile so they can instantly connect with you.

6. Wow with visual resumes.
More people are using tools to help illustrate their work history through sites such as Vizualize.me. These sites offer tools to help individuals present the information on their resumes in a unique way that stands out. Just remember that you still need a traditional format to hand out or attach to make it easy for saving in company databases.

7. Give video a chance.

In this tough economy, job seekers are going to creative lengths to get their name, talents and personality in front of employers, like this resume video for a Google position. If you're going to create something like this, make sure you're providing substance or showing off your soft skills within the video instead of just doing something flashy to get the recruiter's attention.

8. Social media are here to stay
If you're not using social media to promote yourself, you're missing out. Just as employers use multiple avenues to push out job postings, you as a job seeker need to use all the channels available to you to put yourself in front of recruiters. Using Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn as a means to give updates on your career or connect with other professionals gives your resume legs and can make you more memorable as a candidate. But since companies are screening candidates through social media, make sure your online profiles are either professional facing or locked for outside viewing.

ARTICLE HERE

While I am up for changing the way things are done, I am also realistic enought to know certain things may not work in Naija. . .# 5 now (the bit with the QR codes. . .I don't know about that but hey. . .it doesn't hurt to give it a try, no?. Instead of waiting for someone to lead the way, why not be the pioneer? Hmmm, that might be a business idea right there. . .Creating QR codes for applicants/Creating the the tools companies will need to read them. Alright, anyone who goes with this business idea owes me consulting fees. I'm not asking for much. . .75% will do just fine. cool )

I don't know about you but when it comes to resumes, the writing the objective was always the least fun part for me. I mean how do you write what you want for yourself in 3 sentences or less without sounding trite. Choi! I would agonize of this ehn and just end up writing something extremely trite. . .I would like to work in an organzation where I can put my blah blah skills to work. Ughhhhhhhh!!! angry angry This was why I was glad to read that Objectives are sorta out. The cover letter is where the pimping is at!! Sell yourself, self your self soooooo well because no one else will do it (pun not intended tongue)

I also like the Video Resume Idea. . .I have seen a couple and if done properly can just be the WOW factor that gives you the edge. I posted the DOs and DON'Ts of Video Resumes here. . .you can check it out

VIDEO RESUME TIPS

SAMPLE VIDEOS

There are also DOs and DON'Ts for Social Media Usage - Number one on the list is this - SHOULD YOU DECIDE TO GO THIS ROUTE, DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON YOUR FB YOU DON'T WANT POTENTIAL EMPLOYERS TO SEE. You know what, scratch that. . .even if you don't decide to go this route, do not put anything embarrassing on your FB especially if you are using the same email address in your resumes, you use for your FB account. These days where people can unlock your secrets by just typing your email address into search engine on FB.

In an ideal world, it is not fair to use the things you do outside of work to judge you but we do not live in an ideal world. Employers have now realized they can know the CORE you and not the whitewashed version you present to them and they figure they are gonna be trusting you with their company, they want to know who you are. So formulate a habit of separating work from play and the first step in doing that is getting separate email addys.

Another thing I have noticed with many of us is that we don't use our privacy setting. . .Please, Please, Please, if you haven't started doing that, START NOW!!! The Zukerburgs and Dorseys of the world know how creepy it is to have your life laid out for all and sundry. that's why they added that feature. cheesy cheesy
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Nobody: 1:46pm On Aug 06, 2012
nitrogen:

Can i make this request too?
PM me, or if you don't mind, drop your email here.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by SisiKill1: 5:27pm On Aug 06, 2012
FIVE HIDDEN SECRETS ON HOW TO WRITE A RESUME FOR RECENT GRADUATES WITH LITTLE WORK EXPERIENCE

[flash=420,315]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSGjMqNyNp8?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

1) Learn how hiring managers think – If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the results of a hundred battles (The Art of War).

2) Write with their needs in mind – If you give employers what they want, they will listen to you.

3) Select the FORMAT that gets Results – The Chronological Accomplishment Resume Format

4) Learn how to WORD SMITH your accomplishment – Learn how to let your words PAINT a picture. Good Example of this by JidetheBlogger.

Another example

Before – Worked in Daycare center

After – Performed child minding duties as a member of 10 person service team. Assisted with the feeding, changing and caring of babies from ages 6wks to 18 months, Helped in the generation of age appropriate curriculum, implemented new and stimulating circle time exercises, Distributed take home assignments
. . . .blah blah blah. Point is do not be stingy with your words

5)Learn Resume Design Principles – Having a Resume design that is both simple and Professional is CRUCIAL . You want to make your resume inviting to read.

Bottom line for the Recent Graduate with little or no work experience you have to work harder at selling yourself than others. RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH!

Please watch video for more in depth analysis of the points above.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by olushaggy(m): 3:23pm On Aug 17, 2012
[quote][/quote] smiley
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by creativeideas: 4:10pm On Sep 05, 2012
playah P: As the king of nairaland; I proudly do this thread the honour of being the first to reply.

In nigeria, I don't think its every interviewer that would like to be asked questions during job interview. This is nigeria and our mentality is quite differnt.
- thank you for interviewing me may be seen as sign of desperation and eye service. I rest ma case. Nairaland kwenu

From what i have seen, it does work to ask questions, only that your question must be intelligent and align with the objectives of the organization. if you have done your homework by doing a thorough investigation of the organization, you can ask a question that will make you appear as a progressive person.
To do that,you must of course appear confident as though you are an asset that they can't afford to miss (i don't mean arrogance)
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by wealthpriest: 8:56pm On Nov 12, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

Has Anybody Ever Gotten A Job On Push CV?? / Why Physically Commuting To Office Everyday Isn't Worth The Stress! / List The Skills You Have Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.