Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:35 AM

MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office (7949 Views)

Sim Registration: Crowd At Zaria MTN Office / Crowd At MTN Office Ikotun / Mob Destroys MTN Office In Owerri (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by Parnassuss(m): 11:20am On Aug 03, 2012
Pukkah:

MTN is a private company and it is free to open or close its branches anywhere. The company is even free to shut down its operations in Nigeria and leave entirely. Quit this whining and victim mentality.

Yep they are free to shutdown and pack up, that's their right and we won't miss them but when they open their foul mouths to shout that Nigeria's insecurity caused their vacation they've crossed the line. That's what MTN ought to understand, they are not doing Nigerians one indispensable favour, they should get off their high camels and prostrate for their staff! Why should staff in Jos be paid less? Is it that calls don't matter there or staff comes cheaper?
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 03, 2012
Lack of knowledge is like a disease. See Ђδω people dey judge mata wey dem nor knw Ђδω e take start! Pls b4 u make comment on dis particular issue, try to find out †ЂΞ beginnin of dis mata
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by cnsshell: 11:25am On Aug 03, 2012
@pukkah can a nigeria company go N do this kind of a thing in South Africa .Where did MTN did not close their services in Rivers state when the militant said the will make sure the pack of the state but went behind N gave the money to calm down. Between Kad,Kano N jos which of this had witnessed bombing in a large scale N why r they still in Borno state,please get ur facts N come back .
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by truthambassador: 11:40am On Aug 03, 2012
[color=#770077][/color]
Pukkah u are so un informed. Before u comment on an issue u should have done your research.
U said MTN can decide to leave Nigeria. They won't dare. Don't u know dere is no MTN without MTN Nigeria dis is deir biggest market.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by Pukkah: 11:41am On Aug 03, 2012
chakaz:
The staffs laid a complain that's why It's picketed? And nobody is arguing weda MTN has the right to close down any of their offices anytime they want but, if they are doing so, they should be bold enough to tell the world the truth behind such closure. Not hiding under unfound reasons.

Are you sure the reason is unfounded? How can you dismiss an insecurity problem as unfounded? What reason would be more germane then? Is it not a fact that peace has eluded Jos for years?
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by Pukkah: 11:43am On Aug 03, 2012
truthambassador: [color=#770077][/color]
Pukkah u are so un informed. Before u comment on an issue u should have done your research.
U said MTN can decide to leave Nigeria. They won't dare. Don't u know dere is no MTN without MTN Nigeria dis is deir biggest market.

MTN is free to leave Nigeria is different from MTN will leave Nigeria. You say someone is uninformed yet you find it impossible to understand modal verbs.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by unachi: 11:56am On Aug 03, 2012
How i wish it affects u and u know what it feels to earn little wit a company like dat(CNSSL)? Some of the staff were invited by MTN to work with them and this ppl called CNSSL blocked it and never allowed it to happen. So what are u talking about @pukka?
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by Pukkah: 11:56am On Aug 03, 2012
cnsshell: @pukkah can a nigeria company go N do this kind of a thing in South Africa .Where did MTN did not close their services in Rivers state when the militant said the will make sure the pack of the state but went behind N gave the money to calm down. Between Kad,Kano N jos which of this had witnessed bombing in a large scale N why r they still in Borno state,please get ur facts N come back .

Unfortunately, this is an emotional argument and once again, companies can be selective in where they go and be discriminatory on the salaries they pay to different classes of people at different locations. In as much as they have not broken any laws of the land they can wriggle out.

Some of the things you can use against them is to boycott their service (like the state government is doing, moral suasion or negotiations. Besides, you're not in a position to know if MTN or another company is considering shutting its call centre in those other locations you mentioned.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by naanmin(f): 12:04pm On Aug 03, 2012
Pukkah is definately a CNSSL apologist so I wont argue with him #nuffsaid
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by wolexf(m): 1:03pm On Aug 03, 2012
chakaz:
Yes, they were not directly employed by MTN, but it's same CNSSL that is seeing the welfare of other call centers like kano, kaduna, Ilorin and Lagos still controls that os Jos. Why are they paying those in Jos far lesser than those in other branches? Those guys are ingrates, bcs of the name they made in Jos gave them the contracts of other locations and still they do not appreciate that.

Its better not to comment if you dont know the facts,

FACT: CNSSL is just one of the companies MTN Call Centers are outsourced to and I know for a fact that that some call centers in Lagos and some other parts are outscourced to other companies, therefore you cant expect that all Call centers will have the same salary structure. It all about the negotiation between the each provider and the call center agents they hire.

If as an employee you accept and sign and agreement for a job, you freely agree to all the terms and conditions including the renumeration.You cant turn around and cry foul, when you willingly accepted the Job, while I can agree that the laws of Nigeria are not firm and enforced, but at the end of the day a contract is a contract its as simple as that.

We dont know for sure that MTN hasnt chosen to disengage CNSSL as Call Center Service providers, I also know for a fact that the Office in Jos houses, MTN staff of various departments as well as the call Center and am sure those staff arent going anywhere.

It might just be CNSSL trying to save face using insecurity as their PR strategy.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by Pukkah: 1:11pm On Aug 03, 2012
naanmin: Pukkah is definately a CNSSL apologist so I wont argue with him #nuffsaid

CNSSL I don't give a damn (apologies to Mr President who has made this phrase more famous) about CNSSL or MTN...just stating the facts.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by Pukkah: 1:12pm On Aug 03, 2012
unachi: How i wish it affects u and u know what it feels to earn little wit a company like dat(CNSSL)? Some of the staff were invited by MTN to work with them and this ppl called CNSSL blocked it and never allowed it to happen. So what are u talking about @pukka?

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by Nobody: 1:13pm On Aug 03, 2012
THE GOVT CANT DO JACK POOH. JOS IS THE WORST PLACE TO DO BIZ. NOT COS OF SECURITY ISSUES, BUT BECOS OF THE LIONS AND HYENAS ROAMING THE STREETS EXTORTING MONEY FROM SHOPOWNERS ALL IN THE NAME OF CHECKING FOR EXPIRY DATES AND CONTRABANDS. THE MAJORITY OF PLATEAU MEN ARE LAZY AND THEIR WIVES ARE BUSY ROAMING THE STREETS TRYING TO MAKE ENDS MEET , ONLY TO GO HOME AND GIVE THE MAN THE MONEY TO GO DRINK AND PLAY POOLS. IF SHE REFUSES TO GIVE HIM, SHE GETS THE BEATING OF HER LIFE. THATS WHAT THE GOVT SHOULD DO INSTEAD OF CHALLENGING PEOPLE ON WHETHER TO INVEST OR NOT. DESPERATION IN THE RANKS.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 03, 2012
al-qaeda:
THE GOVT CANT DO JACK POOH. JOS IS THE WORST PLACE TO DO BIZ. NOT COS OF SECURITY ISSUES, BUT BECOS OF THE LIONS AND HYENAS ROAMING THE STREETS EXTORTING MONEY FROM SHOPOWNERS ALL IN THE NAME OF CHECKING FOR EXPIRY DATES AND CONTRABANDS. THE MAJORITY OF PLATEAU MEN ARE LAZY AND THEIR WIVES ARE BUSY ROAMING THE STREETS TRYING TO MAKE ENDS MEET , ONLY TO GO HOME AND GIVE THE MAN THE MONEY TO GO DRINK AND PLAY POOLS. IF SHE REFUSES TO GIVE HIM, SHE GETS THE BEATING OF HER LIFE. THATS WHAT THE GOVT SHOULD DO INSTEAD OF CHALLENGING PEOPLE ON WHETHER TO INVEST OR NOT. DESPERATION IN THE RANKS.

and what has this got to do with cnssl extorting call centre workers in jos? angry most you post?
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 03, 2012
torkaka:

and what has this got to do with cnssl extorting call centre workers in jos? angry most you post?
NO I "MOST" NOT
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by fellory: 1:50pm On Aug 03, 2012
chakaz: I have noticed that all the people commenting here didn't get it at all! CNSSL did not close down their operation in Jos bcs of any security threat rather they went out bcs the are not ready to do the right thing. What I mean is that there had been an issue of salary struggles bw CNSSL ans their workerz since march this year. The problem led to the workers embarking on strike since the first of may (ie for the past 3months) and talks have been going on, but @last the CNSSL decided and vowed that they cannot pay Jos staff the same thing they are paying their Kadunna and Kano counterpart. Them coming out and telling the world that they are closing down operations in Jos due to security threats, is a big lie. Let me ask them, if it's bcs of security threats as they claimed, why is their connect stores located in same Jos not packing up as well. Again, is kano and kaduna not having the same security issues? Lets learn to be telling ourselves the truth in this country.

Gbam are they still in maiduguri.if the answer is yes.then qed.but can't mtn contract another vendor?

1 Like

Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by kayswag100(m): 2:00pm On Aug 03, 2012
Supporters of CNSSL and MTN!!!!

Y'ALL HAVENT ANSWERED ME @all!!!!

wHY HAVENT DEY CLOSED DOWN DEIR CC @ KANO nd KD or EVEN CLOSE DEIR SHOPS @ MAIDUGURI?
...SO MUCH ABOUT INSECURITY RYT?

Logic should tell u there sure is MORE to d closure of d Jtown CC! Open ur 'eyeses' oh? I mean eyes!
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by BrutusOj(m): 2:15pm On Aug 03, 2012
Pukkah: The state government is not being realistic. They should know that many businesses will pack out of the state because of insecurity problems. In addition, new ones won't come. As the insecurity continues, they should expect the trend to continue.

They should address the fundamental problem of insecurity of lives and properties in the state, which have continued unabated for years, rather than spend time attacking MTN.
.some of u just stay online and respond to threads negatively without having facts...MTN call centa has neva been in any security challenge since inception...The problem is with d company(CNSSL) managing d staff of MTN call centa..through out d period of security challenges in Jos,CCRs worked without any complain,de problem on ground is staff welfare and remuneration wch is very very poor compared to oda call centas in Nigeria..one man called Adebo Ajiga is d cause of all dis isues on ground..CNSSL is yet to tell Nigerians d trut about dia leaving Jos..
Very soon,EFCC,ICPC wud soon go after dat stupid company
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by BrutusOj(m): 2:33pm On Aug 03, 2012
Pukkah:

What has this got to do with the subject under discussion? By the way, do you want Jos-based employees to collect the same salary as their counterparts in Lagos and Abuja?
u lack knowledge about the isue on ground and some one is trying to let u knw and ur now asking him or her what has his or her to do wit d topic..kindly tell me why u tink jos call centa shudnt receive dsame treatment given to oda call centa staff...CCRs in Jos centa have been doing so well in terms of job performance.Jos call centa is filld up with highly intelligent graduates and de ve been ontop of dia game..so,why wunt dey recive dsame treatment wit oda call centas?if u don't knw abt d isue astake,kindly stop writing craps...
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by rman: 2:34pm On Aug 03, 2012
kayswag100: Supporters of CNSSL and MTN!!!!

Y'ALL HAVENT ANSWERED ME @all!!!!

wHY HAVENT DEY CLOSED DOWN DEIR CC @ KANO nd KD or EVEN CLOSE DEIR SHOPS @ MAIDUGURI?
...SO MUCH ABOUT INSECURITY RYT?

Logic should tell u there sure is MORE to d closure of d Jtown CC! Open ur 'eyeses' oh? I mean eyes!

MTN/CNSSL is a private company and they have every right to pay what they think is fair for a job role. They also have every right to open and close down any business outlet in any part of the country they feel does not make business sense anymore.
You as a staff can not accept the terms and condition of a job and cry foul when you later found out others that do excatly the same job elsewhere earn more. WHYY ACCEPT THE OFFER TO HOLD THE COMPANY TO RANSOME LATER?

If MTN likes let them open and maintain branches in BOKOHARAM compound, it is a private business.

Unless you are a majority share holder you have no right to tell a private business to continue operations where they feel doesnt make business sense.

Even if the underlying reason for closure is staff salaries, it is still a legitimate reason to close down a branch. Do we all know how many bank branches why closed down nationwide when the bank restructuring took place?
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by BrutusOj(m): 2:43pm On Aug 03, 2012
rman:

The staff in Jos call center are not directly employed by MTN. Their jobs is outsourced. Mind you, the terms and conditions of service where clearly stated in their letters and they accepted it. So what are you talking about?
and every contract have a memorandum of understanding btween d principal partners,right?why did CNSSL refused to ansa d call by d plateau state house of assembly?yes..d terms of and conditions are subject to changes n d staff have decided to say no to d previous terms as obtained in oda places cos de do dsame job...some of u on nairaland re so sentimental..imagine ur sef in d shoe of d graduates sufering in d hand of a few individual called CNSSL
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by iahmed(m): 3:10pm On Aug 03, 2012
with all said and done the poor guys are going to be rendered jobless is 37k or 47k not better than00k,the state government should have find a way of helping this poor guys to keep their jobs not add insult to injury.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by rman: 3:10pm On Aug 03, 2012
BrutusOj: and every contract have a memorandum of understanding btween d principal partners,right?why did CNSSL refused to ansa d call by d plateau state house of assembly?yes..d terms of and conditions are subject to changes n d staff have decided to say no to d previous terms as obtained in oda places cos de do dsame job...some of u on nairaland re so sentimental..imagine ur sef in d shoe of d graduates sufering in d hand of a few individual called CNSSL

You are free to resign instead of holding a private company to ransom. Your response is based on sentiments. All teachers in Nigeria dont earn same salary, All engrs in the same MTN doing the same job dont earn the same salary, all sales representatives in MTN dont earn the same salary. Everyone got what was stated in the employment letter. Did MTN reduce the agreed salary?

I once got a job that I felt the pay and the working conditions is not favorable. I resigned after just one month. I didnt go on strike nor tried to bully them to pay me more.
What most young job seekers in Nigeria have in common is a sense of entitlement as a graduate. If you truly think the value you bring is more than a company pays, believe me, it is just a matter of time before that job that pays better will find you.

All these graduate stuff is actually overated.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by kayswag100(m): 3:16pm On Aug 03, 2012
rman:

MTN/CNSSL is a private company and they have every right to pay what they think is fair for a job role. They also have every right to open and close down any business outlet in any part of the country they feel does not make business sense anymore.
You as a staff can not accept the terms and condition of a job and cry foul when you later found out others that do excatly the same job elsewhere earn more. WHYY ACCEPT THE OFFER TO HOLD THE COMPANY TO RANSOME LATER?

If MTN likes let them open and maintain branches in BOKOHARAM compound, it is a private business.

Unless you are a majority share holder you have no right to tell a private business to continue operations where they feel doesnt make business sense.

Even if the underlying reason for closure is staff salaries, it is still a legitimate reason to close down a branch. Do we all know how many bank branches why closed down nationwide when the bank restructuring took place?

Yeah guy! U r ryt! Even if they lyk dey can open a new CC @ Damascus 4 all i care!!

D issue is: why lie dat it's insecurity dat is d cause od d CC closure?! plateau is already a fragile in terms of security! STATING LIES LIKE DAT AS A REASON 4 D CLOSURE could scare off potential investors!!!

U GUYS JUST LUV 2 ARGUE! I M SURE WE ALL KNOW (YEAH, ALL KNOW) Y THOSE CROOKS CLOSED D CC!

Did any bank branch closure u mentioned blame insecurity of any state as d root cause? C'mon guys! I m outta here jooooooor!!!!!
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by dnklojang: 3:18pm On Aug 03, 2012
Modern-day slavery/exploitation on d Plateau. We learnt dt CNSSL(THE SLAVE MASTER) is owned by d MTN Int'l Vice President dtz y MTN cannot decided meaningfully. It pathetic!!!
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by hassey(m): 4:05pm On Aug 03, 2012
I was once dere staff, infact i started wit dem and d point dem was dat d staff shud bear wit dem since dat was d first tym dey will b handling call centre. We were promise told dat salary will b review after confirmation which was supose to b 6months. But cnssl go against dat. D staff put in dere very best and dey worn d contract cus dey were innitially on probation dem self. But d target were meant and d contract was amended instead of dem to review d salary as promise dey refuse. Cnssl ar ingrate. It was d performance of jos center dat leter earn dem kaduna contract and ilorin.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by LeJeun3: 4:12pm On Aug 03, 2012
Pukkah: The state government is not being realistic. They should know that many businesses will pack out of the state because of insecurity problems. In addition, new ones won't come. As the insecurity continues, they should expect the trend to continue.

They should address the fundamental problem of insecurity of lives and properties in the state, which have continued unabated for years, rather than spend time attacking MTN.

Its only in Jos that there are security challenges abi? Borno, Kaduna states nko? So paying d workers less solves d security situation? Or you don't know d genesis of the Problem of that call centre? Abeg park joor.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by 1800bc(f): 4:44pm On Aug 03, 2012
LeJeun3:

Its only in Jos that there are security challenges abi? Borno, Kaduna states nko? So paying d workers less solves d security situation? Or you don't know d genesis of the Problem of that call centre? Abeg park joor.

You wey know the genesis...gist us.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by chakaz(m): 5:05pm On Aug 03, 2012
wolexf:

Its better not to comment if you dont know the facts,

FACT: CNSSL is just one of the companies MTN Call Centers are outsourced to and I know for a fact that that some call centers in Lagos and some other parts are outscourced to other companies, therefore you cant expect that all Call centers will have the same salary structure. It all about the negotiation between the each provider and the call center agents they hire.

If as an employee you accept and sign and agreement for a job, you freely agree to all the terms and conditions including the renumeration.You cant turn around and cry foul, when you willingly accepted the Job, while I can agree that the laws of Nigeria are not firm and enforced, but at the end of the day a contract is a contract its as simple as that.

We dont know for sure that MTN hasnt chosen to disengage CNSSL as Call Center Service providers, I also know for a fact that the Office in Jos houses, MTN staff of various departments as well as the call Center and am sure those staff arent going anywhere.

It might just be CNSSL trying to save face using insecurity as their PR strategy.

I have it as a fact that its same CNSSL that controls Lagos, kano, kaduna and Ilorin centerz. They took over Lagos, kano and kaduna centerz from MEMCOS starting from April this year. CNSSL started Ilorin center which they took staffs from Jos call center down to the place to train their Ilorin staffs. So, take it or leave it, but I know what I'm taking about.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by chakaz(m): 5:29pm On Aug 03, 2012
rman:

You are free to resign instead of holding a private company to ransom. Your response is based on sentiments. All teachers in Nigeria dont earn same salary, All engrs in the same MTN doing the same job dont earn the same salary, all sales representatives in MTN dont earn the same salary. Everyone got what was stated in the employment letter. Did MTN reduce the agreed salary?

I once got a job that I felt the pay and the working conditions is not favorable. I resigned after just one month. I didnt go on strike nor tried to bully them to pay me more.
What most young job seekers in Nigeria have in common is a sense of entitlement as a graduate. If you truly think the value you bring is more than a company pays, believe me, it is just a matter of time before that job that pays better will find you.

All these graduate stuff is actually overated.
My problem with them is that; they are trying to convince the whole world that they are leaving plateau state because of insecurity, why not be bold and tell the world that her staffs are demanding too much from them and that's why they are leaving? Why not tell the world that their primcipal (MTN) is not giving her (CNSSL) enough to meet the demands of her employees and because that they are out of business?
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by rman: 6:21pm On Aug 03, 2012
chakaz:
My problem with them is that; they are trying to convince the whole world that they are leaving plateau state because of insecurity, why not be bold and tell the world that her staffs are demanding too much from them and that's why they are leaving? Why not tell the world that their primcipal (MTN) is not giving her (CNSSL) enough to meet the demands of her employees and because that they are out of business?

You are not there when the decision was made, so we all have to assume they are telling the truth. We all know there are security challenges in Jos.
Re: MTN OFFICE CLOSURE: Plateau Protests Closure Of Jos Telecom Office by Revolva(m): 7:11pm On Aug 03, 2012
Well its may look as if mtn is wicked to the jos city people now think about it - endless insecurity and you expect them to do business and send people to work there if na me I no go, any user of mtn that have problem should email the customer care they will attend to him/her

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mtn Increases Mobile internet Data Alowance / Tired Of Internet Subscription? Come In Here!!! / 3110c Restriction Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.