Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,598 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! (4449 Views)

Goodbye To 4G, Welcome 5G- The New Definition Of Speed. / 3.5g/gprs Usb Modem Unlocking Software Available / The 3g/3.5g Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by mcmsat(m): 3:56pm On Dec 16, 2007
My friend ran into bankruptcy! He ran into the MTN 3.5G testing stuff. Man! This is another way of milking with a monster machine! I was up in my in my place, enjoying Celtel free browsing stuff with its limited nature when this guy came running like mad, showing me his mighty Sonyericsson P1. The 3G sign on his phone showed like never before. 3G has arrived! My guy knows little about fonz (but he has Sonyericsson P1 with turbo engine! LOL) after checking credit balance (My guy is loaded: #1,800 bucks!) I opened the Fon and attained a connection and it was using the 3G where as the normal G are there--no new settings! The speed was terrible my brother. After going to many sites, I rechecked the balance—His dough was untouched! cool cool
Then I connected the phone to my PC. The Sonyericsson PC Suite detected another platform (3G. mind you! The Fon didn’t say 3.5G! MTN slogan) the PC Suite demands if I will like applying which I said yes. The something must know its way around because after that, a connection was established at a speed, which I am afraid to discuss here! On the other hand, you know the P1 Fon is almost faster than Intel Pentium II! grin

After I have gone to many sites, I checked the balance—Man! Untouched! Then I adjusted my seat belt, ready to reap the benefits of the so-called 3.5G TEST of a thing before the nairalanders. We never new that the South Africans were in a corner watching us to jump into serious business, which we did. The rate at which the pages were loading was a monster! My guy was that type that never use internet for a good thing. He liked viewing naked women more than eating! I edged him out and went to DELL, HP, and GATEWAY support sites to download system Utility drivers because I deal on PC systems. I had nine download windows running at a time @ 260kb/s! The list file was 73.9MB and the biggest file was 265.33MB! Man! If the cost of this service is ok, the VSAT people will be forced out of business! After I was sure my downloads were running fine I then let the guy go on with the nonsense. After all, the connection was his.
I was in the room when the bereaved (my guy) came to report that Internet explorer is showing “Cannot find server”. After all I did, still, the something could not find server! It crossed my mind to check the credit balance and I did, and man! My hands started to shake! The guy notices my countenance and I noticed his voice was trembling when he asked me what the matter was. I slowly showed him the Fon screen without a word-- #0.00! embarassed angry

When Tope_teadr was airing warning, I never imagined it would be this bad! It was like a giant vampire bat sucking an animal dead in dark banana plantation with monster suckers and sharp dual canines! All the #1,800 and some few kobo has gone to the drains! (Drain? But I downloaded approx. 1.2GB files!). The problem did not stop here. I was not that dumb not to notice that my guy was crying inside when he was leaving my place. I could see holes all over his pockets as he was leaving.
As he left, I started burning my files onto CD-Rs before I start to get an error message! I was still on it when this guy came up again to tell me that he loaded#1,500 and it went to thin air! Close to this afternoon, he loaded #400 and fiaam! It disappeared! Close to this afternoon we call the South Africans (MTN), they said that they do not believe we even use the service! That they are testing the transmission and that took care of that!
He can’t give up his line because he couldn’t. 3.5G is like one DECIMAL  place forward! That is #35.00/kb! And we ended up with total downloads of say 1.2gb! Maybe he is owing MTN roughly #42,000 bucks! angry shocked

USE NEW SIM FOR 3.5G! IF YOU RUN INTO DECIFIT, TROW THE SIM AWAY!
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by vowiski(m): 5:13pm On Dec 16, 2007
hahahahaahaa
very funny indeed.
i dont know what to say.
but it's a good thing anyway.
you should have requested for mtn 3.5G unlimited. lol
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by Seun(m): 6:03pm On Dec 16, 2007
1800 naira doesn't sound like a lot of money. Multilinks users pay 500 per day for dial-up speed; it's horrible! What you need to know is the actual cost per gigabyte that they are charging. God, we need broadband. cry cry
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by Fadajasi(m): 6:12pm On Dec 16, 2007
What more can i say?
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by abohrandy: 6:15pm On Dec 16, 2007
i am loving that tale well but it was worth it though!!!
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by mcmsat(m): 11:04pm On Dec 16, 2007
grin The guy is still paying for my precious downloads! cheesy. He called the SUCKERS(MTN) this evening again and no solid answer!

@Seun, had it stopped there, it would have been better, but the drain pipe is still large open! The fall guy's phone opened its mouth large like a crocodile and swallow any money that crosses its lips! shocked.
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by MrInfo1(m): 11:18pm On Dec 16, 2007
Seun:

1800 naira doesn't sound like a lot of money. Multilinks users pay 500 per day for dial-up speed; it's horrible! What you need to know is the actual cost per gigabyte that they are charging. God, we need broadband. cry cry
heya, i use multilinks but i pay 200 naira not 500
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by kulex2k1(m): 10:07pm On Dec 18, 2007
the 3G things hasnt fully started yet it was just launched so how d hell did d poster get his 3g settings for browsing and all dat. Haba guy take am easy with dat fake story, and evrybody jus buy d fake gist. Puleease.
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by ceejay80s(m): 3:31pm On Dec 19, 2007
3G don land at last,i have been hammering on it for a long time,immediately it gets to me,i will fully test my TV  application on my phone,if you no understand,i mean watching international TV channels  and radio stations on mobile phones via 3G network.i am still ceejay80s for life.08028789799,070332659200
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by honsule(m): 4:15pm On Dec 19, 2007
@kulex2k1.birds of a feather(same with your posting on mtel).at times it baffles me when some people just fabricate cock and bull story and just post it.thereby playing on the intelligentsia of some people.some of us know better.
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by ceejay80s(m): 4:27pm On Dec 19, 2007
meaning angry
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by kulex2k1(m): 5:51pm On Dec 19, 2007
@Honsule
dis is ur second warning ur bullshiting and i'l take it personal. My post on mtel is true, i neva said av used mtn 3g and blieve me u dnt think u knw jack, cos u dnt knw shit.
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by honsule(m): 6:19pm On Dec 19, 2007
@kulex2k1.don't get me wrong before you start blabbing.or are you ODEWALE in "the gods are not to blame"why are you "venting your spleen?"
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by Seun(m): 7:52pm On Dec 19, 2007
Be careful - the rate may still be the same as what they were charging for GPRS!
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by lynxnoon(m): 8:28pm On Dec 19, 2007
i tink MTN is just full of scams d stuf is 3G where did dey get their .5 frm?
i sure wen it starts fully, hmmmmmmm CREDITS GO ROOOLLLL
angry angry angry angry angry
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by DisGuy: 7:35am On Dec 20, 2007
lynxnoon:

i think MTN is just full of scams d stuf is 3G where did dey get their .5 frm?
i sure when it starts fully, hmmmmmmm CREDITS GO ROOOLLLL

they are not forcing people to use it o!! they are not even forcing their service to nigerians
are you not the guys spending your money on their 'useless' service
nitel still dey o grin
instead of complaining why dont Nigerians use the other 'better' options? undecided
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by kulex2k1(m): 9:04am On Dec 20, 2007
@lynxnoon
nobody dey beg u to use MTN 3G shey u here, wether u like it or not some people will still use the service regardless of the cost.
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by mellow(m): 4:03pm On Dec 20, 2007
kulex2k1:

@lynxnoon
nobody dey beg u to use MTN 3G shey u here, wether u like it or not some people will still use the service regardless of the cost.

word!![/color][color=#990000]
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by MrInfo1(m): 8:10pm On Dec 20, 2007
I wonder if my 3G phone can use the 3.5g network embarassed

Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by Bossman(m): 8:16pm On Dec 20, 2007
You definitely do not want to use 3G on a prepaid. It will wipe out your credit quickly. That's unless you have a lot of money. Everyone that I know that uses any kind of data here has an unlimited data plan. Most are quite affordable. Mine is just $20 month.

BTW, someone asked about getting the settings. There should not be a need to get any settings. You just need a phone that's 3G capable. You may need to get a 3G sim though. The rates should stay the same. It's just that it downloads a whole lot faster (at broadband speeds) so it's very easy to rack up a lot of usage.
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by kulex2k1(m): 8:16pm On Dec 20, 2007
3G or 3.5G not much Difference. Dont worry ur föne is gud 4 3G.
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by topeteadr(m): 8:16am On Dec 21, 2007
I hope when celtel launch theirs, it wuld be 4G and cheap though.
Like 10k/kb.
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by mcmsat(m): 11:02pm On Dec 23, 2007
@kulex2k1, the same settings for MTN GPRS works for MTN 3.5G! After some days of the  ugly incident, I went to ggogle looking for something and came across MTN site, where they explained some questions that are in some people's mouth about 3.5G of a thing.
Again, dint you know that before ever Mtn launched the so called 3.5G of a thing that they must have it tested, and announce it only when they are sure of what they have? I just believed that was never ment for the subscribers to use then and even their customer care told us that. Now what's the fuse? angry angry
Here:
http://www.mtnonline.com/3G/faq.asp

Or see all below:

MTN 3.5G FAQ

There's been so much noise about the 3.5G technology and so little understanding of what it really means. 3.5G is simply Third Generation and it's a term used to describe a technology that facilitates faster data downloads and stunning video streaming services. Find the answers to those questions you've always wanted to ask.

So, Go know it all and transform your world!

1. Is 3.5G not the same as BlackBerry?
No it's not. BlackBerry from MTN is a service that brings together smartphones and software to provide you access to your office or personal email, phone, calendar, applications and more while on the go. Blackberry from MTN gives you the power to do much more. 

2. Is 3.5G different from the MTN Loaded?
3.5G is to mobile devices what injectors are to petrol engines  it makes you go much faster, allows you to see much more. 3.5G thus enhances the functionality of the MTN Loaded Portal, allowing much faster download speeds than ever before if you have a 3.5G phone, or device.

3.Is it the same as the World Cup downloads?
See 2 above

4. Why is 3.5G so different from what I have always known?
Because of the super-high speed compared with GPRS or EDGE, and because of the mobility compared to fixed line.

5. Do I need to buy a new SIM card to enjoy 3.5G benefits?
No. All MTN SIMS will automatically be 3.5G enabled. Just use your 3.5G phone, or buy a new 3.5G phone or (data card for your PC) if you don't have one already.

6. How do I know I am connected to 3.5G?
If using an MTN 3.5G data card or USB modem, the friendly user interface will show if you are connected to 3.5G, GPRS or EDGE. If using a 3.5G phone, your phone screen will indicate whether you are connected to 3.5G, GPRS or EDGE, usually by looking at the top corner of your screen, depending on your phone type.

7. Do I need to buy a new 3.5G phone to enjoy the services?
If you already have a 3.5G phone that is not locked to another network, you do not need to buy a new phone. Otherwise, you could buy a 3.5G device such as a 3.5G phone or a 3.5G USB modem or data card to use MTN's exciting 3.5G Services.

8. How do I know if my current phone can access 3.5G services?
Search if your phone has some 3.5G features e.g Video Call. You can also check your phone's manual.

9. What types of phone do I need to enjoy the benefits of 3.5G services?
3G Nokia E Series, Sony Ericsson etc. You can also check your phone manual, or our website.

10. Does my 3.5G-service subscription come with handsets?
No. 3.5G subscription if required, is between subscriber and the operator depending on how the operator packaged its offerings.

11. Can 2.5G co-exist with 3.5G?
Yes. 3.5G and 2.5G coverage can certainly co-exist. As MTN rolls out its high-speed 3.5G/HSPA network to cover Nigeria, you will be able to use GPRS automatically if you temporarily move out of 3G coverage.

12. How do I know I am in a 3.5G coverage area?
Your device will show you a 3.5G, GPRS or EDGE sign, just like the way using cell information display works.

13. What happens to my network connection when I leave the coverage areas?
It automatically switches to the available coverage e.g GPRS, EDGE or GSM, if you have set your device to switch in AUTOMATIC mode.

14. Can I enjoy 3.5G offerings when roaming in another country?
Yes . You can enjoy 3.5G voice and data on any of several 3G networks abroad, with which MTN has roaming agreements.

15. Is it meant for postpaid subscribers only?
All customers, including Postpaid and Prepaid subscribers can enjoy MTN 3.5G.

16. Do I still need to use the normal recharge cards or there are special 3.5G recharge cards?

\
Normal recharge cards.

17. Do I need some settings code to sign up for 3.5G services?
If your handset/phone is not already configured for MTN's Data services, you will need to request for data settings by texting SETTINGS to 3888, free of charge. You will automatically receive settings if your phone can accept settings sent to it by MTN, and once you have saved those settings as your default data settings, you are 3.5G ready.
If your 3G phone is already configured e.g if you already use MTN GPRS, then you need do nothing else.

18. Can I migrate from my current GPRS-based internet package to the new platform at no cost?
Yes. But for most services, no special migration is required between GPRS and 3.5G.

19. Will I be able to enjoy CallerTunez on this platform?
Yes, why not?

20. Can my friends view videos from me if they don't have 3.5G phones?
If your friends have multimedia phones (including some GPRS enabled phones, and all 3.5G phones) they will be able to play short video clips. You and your friends will however need to have 3.5G phones in order to make video calls between one another.

21. Any possibilities of virus attacking my system when I migrate to 3.5G?
:MTN’s 3.5G network is secure. However, as your 3G smart phone gets more sophisticated, you need to continue to exercise caution when installing program, accessing the internet or using your bluetooth.

VIDEO CALLS

22. How do I make a Video call?
Select video call on your phone.

23. How do I know my next call is a video call (different from a video call)?
Your phone will show video call.

24. Are there any constraints or restrictions on duration of video call?
No, but will depend on 3.5G coverage as you move from location to location.

25. Can I leave video messages when anyone misses my calls?
No. It's not available yet.

26. Will I be able to make video calls to other networks (GSM and fixed)?
Not available yet. 3.5G roaming required.

27. Can I record my video call?
Yes, you can.

28. Can I make a video call to someone with a camera phone even if my phone does not have a camera?
No, you must have a 3.5G phone to make a video call.

29. Can I reject a video call if I am not in the best position to receive the call?
Yes.

30. Can I do call forwarding with a video call?
Not yet available.

31. Can I do call barring with a video call?
Yes, you can.

32. How much do I pay for a video call per seconds?
Tariffs will be published on launch.

33.Can I do a video conferencing with 3 or 4 multiple video calls simultaneously? 
Not yet.

BROADBAND INTERNET

34. Why is this so different from EVDO?
3.5G is the next evolution of 2.5G GSM for mobile broadband currently available to mobile phones.

35. Will the speed be better and seamless connection guaranteed?
Yes, you’d have better speed. Seamless connection is not guaranteed until 3.5G coverage (rollout in progress) becomes contiguous as usual. MTN aims to provide you with coverage everywhere you go

36. Do I need to have an MTN SIM to enjoy 3.5G broadband internet?
Yes

37. Does the installation include the use of software/hardware and how can this be done?
Data cards already have default software that are installed.

38. When taking (buying) the data card, do I need to provide my utility bills, photo ID etc?
Not really, it's not necessary.

39. What types of laptops support broadband internet on the MTN 3.5G?
Laptops with USB or PCMCIA slots.

40.   Am I going to be charged per hour or per day or per megabyte?
The different simple options are available to you to choose from.

41. What happens if I use the data card or USB Modem on a different laptop?
It will prompt you to install software.

42. Does the data card or USB Modem have a content control bar on it?
MTN data cards and modems have a console/counter that allows you to track your data usage. However, for content-type restrictions, this will depend on the internet settings chosen by you or your System Administrator.

43. What data speeds are enabled by 3.5G?
Up to 3.6 Mbits p/s.

44. Apart from having a faster internet connection, does 3.5G have any other advantage?
Many more useful applications that are speed and video related.

45. What happens if I lose the 3.5G network during a data session?
It connects to available GPRS (data) network.

46. Can I share my internet access with one or two other users?
Yes, with an MTN wireless router.
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by Abeyphier(m): 6:23pm On Dec 26, 2007
The downlink speed@ 260kbps is even in 3g region.
Downlink speed in 3.5g is as high as 14.4Mbps with QPSK and 16-QAM and 15 HS-DSCH codes(technical bohaha).
Wonder if MTN can achieve such speed, umhh tongue.
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by naijafan(m): 10:37pm On Dec 26, 2007
lynxnoon:

i think MTN is just full of scams d stuf is 3G where did dey get their .5 frm?
i sure when it starts fully, hmmmmmmm CREDITS GO ROOOLLLL
Hey, Nokia handsets that run on Symbian OS 9.2 will display 3.5G whenever you are in the range of an HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) network. From MTN's site, that's the same service they are rolling out.
Re: MTN 3.5g! The Snare Has Already Caught My Friend! by ThugLife1(m): 4:43pm On Dec 27, 2007
@poster
Funny cheesy grin

(1) (Reply)

How Good Is Oukitel? / A Friend Of Mine Bought This Phone For 23k Today....may God Help Us In This Coun / This $5000 Louis Vuitton Iphone 7 Case Will Make You Lose Faith In Humanity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.