Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,875 members, 7,806,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:32 PM

Help Required Pleeeese. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Help Required Pleeeese. (984 Views)

No Qualification Or Skill Required (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Required Pleeeese. by nosilla(f): 5:40pm On Dec 16, 2007
This year I have my partners family as well as mine for Christmas lunch, although I am making traditional English food, I would love to offer Nigerian food also.

Can anyone help me here please, what things should I offer?

Thanks

nosillA xx
Re: Help Required Pleeeese. by tomX1(m): 11:48pm On Dec 16, 2007
That depends. You didn't say if they are Nigerians and what part they are from. Their ethnic group will provide a clue as to what they consider suitable. You may check out the thread on Nigerian recipes and see if you find something to your taste. Nigerian recipes can be a little tricky to pull off though.

Maybe you should try things like rice and stew which will basicaly be in your comfort zone then add some little Nigerian stuffs like Moi-Moi, bush-meat (smoked rabbits will do just fine) and such like. That way you will convey a feeling of homliness to them and you realy don't have to stray to far from what you already know.
Re: Help Required Pleeeese. by Leilah(f): 5:17pm On Dec 17, 2007
I will help you with this
Re: Help Required Pleeeese. by nosilla(f): 9:15pm On Dec 17, 2007
@tomx . My partner and his family are Nigerian and from Lagos. I do make a very nice stew (unless he just says that to keep me happy lol).

@Leilah I have mailed you.

nosillA xx
Re: Help Required Pleeeese. by yimiton(f): 10:47am On Dec 18, 2007
Don't forget some nice snails with what ever you offer.
That is totally Nigerian and I love them.
Re: Help Required Pleeeese. by Leilah(f): 2:40am On Dec 19, 2007
Basically I wouldn't go with anything too fancy if you're not too sure.  Why not try this website www.afrofoodtv.com its brilliant the fried rice recipe would be ideal I have tried it myself and it works really well.  I reckon this rice would suit everyone and its not complicated. Also, you could fry a few plaintains on the side and some pieces of meat fried or baked in the oven.  Know what is also a good idea, to go to the nigerian food store and get some frozen tilapia fishes, let them defrost, then in a food processor mix hot peppers, knorr cubes, curry tyme etc and some water, pour it on the fish put keep some aside in a pot casue the fish dries up and sometimes needs a little more sauce. marinate them in it for a bit. Pop the fish in the oven then until its cooked then as it is just about done slice some onions and yellow n red peppers and throw them on the fishes in the oven and just let them brown for a bit, take them out and then fry plaintains and when the plaintains are done put them around the fish. I remember making that fish dish for my sister and her husband before and they wouldn't eat it angry because I left the heads on grin  -but you're supposed to leave the heads on. Apart from that though its a nice dish, especially if alcohol drinking is involved its complements that.

Anyway hope I can be of more assistance. I'm no expert though cheesy
Re: Help Required Pleeeese. by nosilla(f): 10:14pm On Dec 23, 2007
Thanks peeps, I have decided to make, stew, meat pies, scotch eggs, fried rice and plantain as well as traditional english Christmas lunch, I will let you all know how it went.

Merry Christmas xx

nosillA xx
Re: Help Required Pleeeese. by nosilla(f): 11:50pm On Dec 29, 2007
Well peeps the Christmas lunch went very well, all of the African food was eaten and there was actually left overs of the traditional lunch.

Many thanks for all your help.

nosillA xx

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Market Food Crops Look Dead? / Banana Is A Super Fruit! / Cauliflower Cutting Machine carrot peeling dicing shredding machine Razorfish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.