Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,518 members, 7,801,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

How Computers Run Devices - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Computers Run Devices (1008 Views)

Opinion: Imminent Internet Outage For Infected Computers on 9th July / How To Give Your Usb Devices A Background Image / Computer Literacy and Uses of Computers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Computers Run Devices by segebee(m): 8:21pm On Dec 16, 2007
im just wondering, how can my computer program run a mechanical object

that cld b robotics

i mean wot does a pc send, electricity, 1 and 0's

guru's help me oh
Re: How Computers Run Devices by femu(m): 2:41pm On Dec 17, 2007
hello if u need help in these area u can call me on
08034209301,I have some working demos that might
assist u.
Re: How Computers Run Devices by webguru(m): 4:52pm On Dec 18, 2007
thanks

if anyone can post online it would b appreciated
Re: How Computers Run Devices by SayoMarvel(m): 5:28pm On Jan 18, 2008
please if you have any idea of this thing, post it here where the info can be easily accesible, a phone number is out of it, people don't normally have excess time to be spending on phone. I also need to learn more about this topic.
Re: How Computers Run Devices by kanirip: 5:43pm On Jan 18, 2008
I don't claim to know a lot in this but I did do a course in my Uni about this and we had to program a
Lego Robot.

At the end of the day the robot could move, detect wall bumps and take apropriate actions and then calculate the distance it has travelled.

We had to the Most of the programming using a language called pbForth( although I hear that it is possible to do this as well using a more modern programming language like Java).

The programs are developed on the programmers machine and then uploaded into the Memory of the robot(using a USB connection) where it can then be executed.

If you can investigate 'Lego Mindstorm NXT' , I'm sure you will find out a lil bit bout them and u will find that the hardest thing about them is the price u will need to pay for one of those Robot Kits!

As for programming other devices, i know most people use Assembly Language and C as these languages tend to allow the programmer gain direct access to the memory blocks and structures within a device.

I hope this helps!
Re: How Computers Run Devices by Wallie(m): 10:16pm On Feb 27, 2008
Info edited for clarity.

Everything in a computer eventually becomes ones and zeros (bits); that's the only thing a machine understands. Whatever type of code you write in whatever language gets translated.

There are different types/levels of software required to control hardware.
1. Application (user interface) -  Word, excel
2. Middleware (drivers, operating system) - Windows XP, drivers for your printers, camera e.t.c. The middleware will be the bridge between your application and the hardware. Its job is akin to that of a language interpreter.
3. Firmware - code resident in the FPGA or ROM. This code looks at the register value or a set of registers to determine if they are set to 1 or zero and takes a predetermined set of actions based on that setting.

The bottom line is that whatever you do with your application code eventually gets translated into 1s and 0s in the hardware register.

Hope this helps! Ask specific questions if you're still confused.
Re: How Computers Run Devices by Kobojunkie: 5:26am On Feb 28, 2008
I think you can take a look at this
http://www.u2u.net/Res/Article.aspx?ART=msdndelegates3

to get an idea of how programs work on Robots. Yes, everything eventually is translated by the compiler and the underlying technology into 0's and 1's but good thing is you do not have to know all that to get your robots to work the way you want them to.

(1) (Reply)

Help! / Airlive Resetting / Movie Downloads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.