Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,960 members, 7,799,260 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... (2808 Views)

Nairaland Bible Quiz.. Season2 / Group Version Of Nairaland Bible Quiz-for Everyone,especially You / Nairaland Bible Quiz-you can join anytime... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by ijawkid(m): 10:05pm On Aug 04, 2012
My nairaland people....for a while now the issue of the soul,spirit and body has been on...

Now I got a little question for every1 and I wanna hear ur view points.....

I for one believe the soul is the existing person,.........any individual is a soul.....nothing more nothing else....

All the spirit,body and soul theory has just got everytin mixed up....

Now how can we explain this scripture.....

Psalms 11:5.......

##New International Version (©1984)
The LORD examines the righteous, but the
wicked and those who love violence his SOUL
hates.

##English Standard Version (©2001)
The LORD tests the righteous, but his soul
hates the wicked and the one who loves
violence.

##New American Standard Bible (©1995)
The LORD tests the righteous and the wicked,
And the one who loves violence His soul hates.

##King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
The LORD trieth the righteous: but the
wicked and him that loveth violence his soul
hateth.

##Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
Lord Jehovah examines the righteous ones; the
evil and those who love evil his soul has hated.

Is God a SOUL or is there a part of Him that is soul??

Is it God Himself that hates those who are violent or is it a part of Him(soul) that hates those who practice violence??...

Or what??

Is the SOUL not the individual under consideration??

Can we please explain this verse up there....

Mayb my thought on this verse mite not be correct but I want every1 to come explain it...

Thanks.....
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by Nobody: 1:35am On Sep 03, 2012
Subscribing...
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by ijawkid(m): 7:38am On Sep 03, 2012
moroh: Subscribing...

What do u think??
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by Nobody: 8:04am On Sep 03, 2012
Man's Body + spirit ( the breath of God in him ) = Living SOUL

Man's Body - spirit (the breath of God in him) = Dead Body

The Human soul does not exist after death , period.

His spirit returns to GOD.

"and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it." - Ecclesiastes 12:7

Acts 7:59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

spirit can be defined as :

pneuma: wind, spirit
Original Word: πνεῦμα, ατος, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: pneuma
Phonetic Spelling: (pnyoo'-mah)
Short Definition: wind, breath, spirit
Definition: wind, breath, spirit.

or

ruach: breath, wind, spirit
Original Word: ר֫וּחַ
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: ruach
Phonetic Spelling: (roo'-akh)
Short Definition: spirit

Sources - http://concordances.org/hebrew/7307.htm and http://concordances.org/greek/4151.htm

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by ijawkid(m): 8:46am On Sep 03, 2012
frosbel: Man's Body + spirit ( the breath of God in him ) = Living SOUL

"and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it." - Ecclesiastes 12:7

Acts 7:59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

or

Sources - http://concordances.org/hebrew/7307.htm and http://concordances.org/greek/4151.htm

Agreed...

I put up this post for persons who think d soul is not man himself but a part of man that leaves the body to somewhere else after death......
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by truthislight: 4:43pm On Sep 03, 2012
frosbel: Man's Body + spirit ( the breath of God in him ) = Living SOUL

or

^^^

now you know my stand

lol
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by plaetton: 5:19pm On Sep 03, 2012
Are the psalms not poems and songs?
Is it not obvious that the writer or translator was using the word soul in the same manner we use it to say, for example, "my soul hates this or that"?
hhmm.
MR Ijawkid, there you go again with you scriptural reasoning.
lol. cool

If there is no soul other than the flesh and blood, then when you die, which part of your decayed flesh will go to heaven?
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by Goshen360(m): 6:22pm On Sep 03, 2012
Am sitting down to look and read........no comment! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by Nobody: 8:25pm On Sep 03, 2012
Goshen360: Am sitting down to look and read........no comment! cheesy
ADD YOUR COMMENT SIR, I WOULD LOVE TO READ YOUR OPINION ON THIS HERE ISSUE
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by ijawkid(m): 8:52pm On Sep 03, 2012
plaetton: Are the psalms not poems and songs?
Is it not obvious that the writer or translator was using the word soul in the same manner we use it to say, for example, "my soul hates this or that"?
hhmm.
lol. cool

If there is no soul other than the flesh and blood, then when you die, which part of your decayed flesh will go to heaven?

Lol...

Now may I ask u...

If ur soul hates something,is it you(the individual) that hates it or a part of u that leaves ur body when u die that hates it??

Like I said ,my belief is the soul is the existing individual,not a part of the person that leaves after death.....

That psalms I quoted is a perfect example of what d definition of ""SOUL"" is.....

And who told u decayed flesh goes to heaven??

Flesh and blood cannot and does not reside in heaven....
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by ijawkid(m): 8:55pm On Sep 03, 2012
Goshen360: Am sitting down to look and read........no comment! cheesy

:-)

My bro wahala dey o....

I fit come follow u sit down??lol
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by Goshen360(m): 10:32pm On Sep 03, 2012
obadiah777: ADD YOUR COMMENT SIR, I WOULD LOVE TO READ YOUR OPINION ON THIS HERE ISSUE

You again Abeg, I no wan start today again o....not anymore please.

ijawkid:

:-)

My bro wahala dey o....

I fit come follow u sit down??lol

Nothing to worry about bro......"In those days Israel had no king; all the people did whatever seemed right in their own eyes" Judges 21:25 NLT

In those days there was no king in Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes. ESV.

You can break bread on that verse while you crack this "SOUL" wahala.....still sitting and looking plus reading, grin
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by Sweetnecta: 12:00am On Sep 04, 2012
@Frosbel:
by frosbel(m): 8:04am
Man's Body + spirit ( the breath of God in him ) = Living SOUL

So the 2 equations above, you got living soul because spirit is in the body. then when spirit is not in the body you have dead body. shouldnt living body be body with spirit in it, instead of saying it is a living soul? where does the soul comes from? shouldnt the opposite of living soul be dead soul, since spirit is the only addition or subtraction with the constant body? Maybe soul is actually spirit?

where did it come from when it does exist? where does it disappear to when it is no more existing?

soul could be spirit you know.

"and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it." - Ecclesiastes 12:
where does the soul return to if it is not the spirit?

is soul not spirit?

or

what is the definition of soul? you dont know it, i am assuming because you are silent on soul.

Soul:
Soul can function as a synonym for spirit, mind, psyche or self;[5] scientific works, in particular, often consider 'soul' as a synonym for 'mind'.[citation needed]

Islam
Further information: Nafs

According to the Quran, Ruh (Spirit) is a command from Allah (God).

And they ask you, [O Muhammad], about the soul (Rûh). Say, "The soul (Rûh) is of the affair of my Lord. And mankind have not been given of knowledge except a little." [Quran 17:85]

Islam teaches the soul is immortal and eternal. What a person does is definitely recorded and will be judged at the utterly court of the God.

Judaism

The Hebrew terms נפש nephesh (literally "living being"wink, רוח ruach (literally "wind"wink, נשמה neshama (literally "breath"wink, חיה chaya (literally "life"wink and יחידה yechidah (literally "singularity"wink are used to describe the soul or spirit. . . .

Christianity
See also: Soul in the Bible
Soul carried to Heaven by William Bouguereau

Most Christians understand the soul as an ontological reality distinct from, yet integrally connected with, the body. Its characteristics are described in moral, spiritual. . .
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by Nobody: 12:31am On Sep 04, 2012
Sweetnecta: @Frosbel: So the 2 equations above, you got living soul because spirit is in the body. then when spirit is not in the body you have dead body. shouldnt living body be body with spirit in it, instead of saying it is a living soul? where does the soul comes from? shouldnt the opposite of living soul be dead soul, since spirit is the only addition or subtraction with the constant body? Maybe soul is actually spirit?

where did it come from when it does exist? where does it disappear to when it is no more existing?

is soul not spirit?

what is the definition of soul? you dont know it, i am assuming because you are silent on soul.

Soul: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul

We are called living souls because of the breath or spirit that God has given to us.
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by truthislight: 10:28am On Sep 04, 2012
plaetton: Are the psalms not poems and songs?
hhmm.
lol. cool

now you see and know that most of what you have upstairs is not base on the bible
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by truthislight: 10:36am On Sep 04, 2012
Sweetnecta: @Frosbel: So the 2 equations above, you got living soul because spirit is in the body. then when spirit is not in the body you have dead body. shouldnt living body be body with spirit in it, instead of saying it is a living soul? where does the soul comes from? shouldnt the opposite of living soul be dead soul, since spirit is the only addition or subtraction with the constant body? Maybe soul is actually spirit?

is soul not spirit?

let us call soul "LIFE"

eg, an electric bulb + electric current = "light"

when the current/voltage leaves where does the light goes to?
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by Sweetnecta: 11:34am On Sep 04, 2012
@Frosbel:
by frosbel(m): 12:31am

is soul not spirit?

We are called living souls because of the breath or spirit that God has given to us.
shouldnt you be called dead soul when the breath or spirit given you is taken back? you spoke about spirit as ruach. so is soul.

soul is spirit. spirit is soul.
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by Sweetnecta: 11:53am On Sep 04, 2012
@frosbel and truthislight: have you guys ever heard; body and soul?

@truthislight:
by truthislight: 10:36am

is soul not spirit?

let us call soul "LIFE"

eg, an electric bulb + electric current = "light"

when the current/voltage leaves where does the light goes to? huh
the light source is disconnected and you will see the dimming of the light until the bulb does not have any light in it. light is created when current flows. life as in living is seen as existing because the soul is in the body of the walking about man. when the soul is removed from the walking around man, the body falls flat and dies.

soul is therefore the evidential source of life in the man. the Creator of soul of man is God. the bulb on its own does not illuminate. illumination is sign that current is in it. life of man is equal to illumination of the bulb. current in the bulb is equal to soul in the body of man. bulb unlit is equal to soulless or lifeless/dead body or at best just at contact of sper.m and egg.

But soul and spirit is what we are discussing here. I am saying soul in the spiritual realm is spirit. spirit of man when it enters the body, it is now the soul of the living man. when the soul is detached, you see a lifeless body, whereas the soul is the spiritual body unseen returning to the Creator.
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by truthislight: 4:46pm On Sep 04, 2012
Sweetnecta: @frosbel and truthislight: have you guys ever heard; body and soul?

@truthislight: the light source is disconnected and you will see the dimming of the light until the bulb does not have any light in it. light is created when current flows. life as in living is seen as existing because the soul is in the body of the walking about man. when the soul is removed from the walking around man, the body falls flat and dies.

soul is therefore the evidential source of life in the man. the Creator of soul of man is God. the bulb on its own does not illuminate. illumination is sign that current is in it. life of man is equal to illumination of the bulb. current in the bulb is equal to soul in the body of man. bulb unlit is equal to soulless or lifeless/dead body or at best just at contact of sper.m and egg.

But soul and spirit is what we are discussing here. I am saying soul in the spiritual realm is spirit. spirit of man when it enters the body, it is now the soul of the living man. when the soul is detached, you see a lifeless body, whereas the soul is the spiritual body unseen returning to the Creator.
^^^
meaning that there is no spirit in man.

go and make your research then you will find out that soul is a different thing from spirit/holy spirit.

When Jesus got baptism what came into him? Soul? No. But the spirit of God that enabled him to do those powerful work. The spirit gave him power.

When the spirit came upon the 120 as tongues of fires was it soul that rested upon their head? No, but they received power and started doing powerful works.

Spirit equal to that power that comes from God.

that spirit kickstarted the mold that came to be Adam(a soul=life)

explain/answer this questions.

1. you said that when the light is disconnected it goes deemed,
so, the light is disconnected from what?

In Adam's case it was God blowing into his nostril the breath of life and he came to be a living soul.
are you now saying that it was the soul
that God blew into his nostrils?

2. Does the illumination/light enters the electric cable back to the generating station/Nepa station or it is the power/force/current that is disconnected?

3. The bible says soul dies Just like illumination/light dies in the bulb,
what do you think?

4. what goes back to the father, is it the soul or the spirit?

5. what did the father gave to Jesus and his disciples?

6. The power that God uses to do all things is called what?

7. What did God put into Adam?

8. And what goes back to God?
Re: Nairaland Bible Scholars Come Let's Solve This SOUL Wahala.... by ACITYOFTRUTH: 7:47am On Jul 19, 2013
Let there be light &there came a light the soul should not baffle us again it is the ghost of a man the living ghost(soul),that is refreshed or renewed by the spirit of God to give life or light Rom 8/14.the spirt moves over the water(soul) in the beginning &it d soul dat spoke &light came Gen 1/2-3,so d 3 existed 4rm d beginning &do exists spirit soul&life the flesh is cloth of appearances 1corin 15/38-41.It not to be celebrated or minded,it just a proove dat u came to earth &a profit to taste the subject of hope Rom 8/20.a reality of vanity form of nothing shadow of death Ps 23/4.The soul is d true reality.

(1) (Reply)

Can Muslims Explain This. . / Rapture Will Take Place In The First Half Of 2020 / The 3 Kinds Of Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.