Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

I traded my PC for Internet Access - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / I traded my PC for Internet Access (1295 Views)

India Web Proxy 3.2.1 For Internet Browsing / MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access / Starcomms Vs Multilinks: Which Is Better For Internet Access? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I traded my PC for Internet Access by edwardpopoola(m): 12:47pm On Apr 23, 2005
IN THE NAME OF PASSION: IT Youth Ambassador Trades PC for Internet Access

In a world where information and knowledge drive the economy, where the relevance of countries — and its peoples — is measured, not by how much concrete wealth they have, but by how much relevant information they could use to aid development. One cannot rule out the importance of the Internet as a medium for Information creation and dissemination. The Internet has come a long way and people the world over are today leveraging on its power to connect with other people that have access to it — for the purpose of knowledge sharing. The importance of the Internet cannot be overemphasized in our contemporary world.

The Internet is however expensive, especially in a developing nation like Nigeria. Access of an average of $1 per hour is relatively expensive taking into consideration the “per capita” income of the country. The cost implication is more pronounced when you have to constantly keep in touch through emails, when you hold online meetings as a subtitute to physical meetings, and when you have online content to manage and keep up to date. Summing all that up could cost up to an average of $10 per week!

Sometimes, sacrifices must be made for the greater good. As much as accessing the Internet is taking a good chunk of my finances and the effect telling on my expenses, I find it hard to seperate myself from this newly found love. Its a place where my career intersects with my service to the young people of my country as Nigeria’s Information Technology Youth Ambassador. I find it difficult to convince my parents on why I spend so much of their hard earned money on the Internet and not on food or clothes. As a matter of fact, an explanation will do more harm then good — especially having understood that they attended school when the “black and white” television was the most popular representation of telecommunications....

To read more on how I exchanged my PC for access go to www.edwardpopoola.com/blog/?p=9
Re: I traded my PC for Internet Access by AYA: 9:25am On May 04, 2005
Good decision, mate. I value and respect people who do not sit down, fold their arms and whine about a situation, but stand up and make choices. Those choices may not necessarily be convenient, but they help achieve results.
Re: I traded my PC for Internet Access by duua: 10:51pm On Jan 15, 2007
That so good of you but i tink i have a solution to your or al say our problem , a way u can get free internet connection if u would like to know more reply this post and al tel you how. And we al can work together to archiv this .
Re: I traded my PC for Internet Access by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:40pm On Jan 15, 2007
can you plz post am interested.

(1) (Reply)

Undelete Nas Files / Do Techies Charge For Formatting A PC? / I Need A PC Downloading App Aprt From Idm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.