Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,323 members, 7,808,082 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:55 AM

Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa (18997 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / How Prominent Is African History/cultures In Primary(and Up) Schools / Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 10:12pm On Aug 05, 2012
The Akan people are an ethnic group found predominantly in Ghana and the Ivory Coast. Akans are the majority in both of these countries and overall have a population of 40 million people.[1][2] The Akan speak Kwa languages.

The Akan are believed to have migrated to their current location from the Sahel[4] between the 10th and 12th Century.[5][6] The kingdom of Bonoman was established as early as the 11th century as a trading state between the Akan and their neighbors, especially those from Djenné, Timbuktu, Bornu among others.[7] A gold boom in the Akan area between the 12th and 13th centuries brought wealth to numerous Akan peoples.[8] During different phases of the Kingdom of Bonoman groups of Akans migrated out of the area to create numerous states based predominantly on gold mining and trading of cash crops.[9][10] This brought wealth to numerous Akan states like Akwamu which stretched all the way to modern Benin[11] and ultimately led to the rise of the most well known Akan empire, the Empire of Ashanti.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akan_people

Characteristics

-Gold (Blinng Bling)
-Pride
-Matrilineal
-Kente/Kita
-Warm
-Welcoming
-Dark Skin
-Good Hair grin grin (Jokes)

Most Numerous group

In Ghana:
-Ashanti
-Fanti
-Nzema
-Akuapem
-Akyem
-Aowin
-Denkyra
-Sefwi
-Brong

In Cote d'Ivoire

-Baoule
-Agni
-Akye
-Adioukrou
-N'Zema
-Abron/Brong
-Abbey (don't really know, said to be related to the Ewe)

If there are akan or anybody knowledgeable about the Akan people and culture on this forum, please help in developing this topic. Thanks smiley

Common Akan Surnames: Kouame(Kwame), Kouakou(Kwaku), Kouao (Kwaw), Koffi, Bedi, Bediako, Bouake (Boakye), Assamoi(Assamoah), Yao (Yaw), Akoua (Akua), Allah, Kouassi (Kwesi), Kanga, Konan, Adja...

Women names: Akissi, Akosua, Aya (Yaa), Affoue, Affoua (Affua, Afia), Becanty, Adjoua (Ajoa), Amlan, Amenan (Aminan), Bledja...
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 10:21pm On Aug 05, 2012
^^^The abbey people aren't related to the Ewe, the Ewe are partly Fon/Ketu. And their empire never 'stretched' to modern day Benin - they were defeated by Dahomey...

However, Ashanti empire was one of the greatest in West Africa - and they arguably started the bling bling lifestyle.. grin

I need some of those Ashanti gold in my life to get my Slick Rick on!! cool
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 05, 2012
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 10:29pm On Aug 05, 2012
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 05, 2012
[size=18pt]Ashanti Empire Chief vs Slick Rick = Bling Bling[/size]

Ashanti Chief

[img]http://1.2.3.12/bmi/farm4.static.flickr.com/3021/2974969434_e93c0de8c3.jpg[/img]

Slick Rick
[img]http://1.2.3.12/bmi/www.arktimes.com/binary/e7b8/unknown.jpg[/img]
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 10:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
shymmex: ^^^The abbey people aren't related to the Ewe, the Ewe are partly Fon/Ketu.

I read it somewhere but i have lost the source. I also tried to compare the language and they sound a bit similar to Akye/Attie and Abbey.

Ewe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfxvBsOLOIw&feature=relmfu

Abbey (I could find only songs but no actual talk or speech to compare)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlPIEYbcdr8

I am going to look more into it
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 10:42pm On Aug 05, 2012
shymmex:

I need some of those Ashanti gold in my life to get my Slick Rick on!! cool

grin grin grin Have u visited Ghana before?
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 10:51pm On Aug 05, 2012
Sybellah:

grin grin grin Have u visited Ghana before?

Nah, I'm planning to visit when I go to Nigeria...

Have you been to Ghana?
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 10:55pm On Aug 05, 2012
shymmex:

Nah, I'm planning to visit when I go to Nigeria...

Have you been to Ghana?

Nope never! I would like to visit Accra and Lagos. Unfortunately I ve never visited any other African country except cote d'ivoire
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 05, 2012
Sybellah:

Nope never! I would like to visit Accra and Lagos. Unfortunately I ve never visited any other African country except cote d'ivoire

Hmmm... I would've loved to take you to my hometown (Lagos) - but you got away with a next guy.. sad

I'll like to visit Abidjan as well, and probably Dakar and Cape Verde..
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 05, 2012
The Baoule have kept their Akan culture after fleeing Ghana in the 17 century. However, their culture has been influenced in a way by the Guro people (Mande South), that they found in their actual territory.

In this song, U can see the dance steps, traditional masks and music rythms are not exclusively Akan, but a mix of akan and Guro

Baoule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAW8JBNnxQk&feature=related

Guro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkrwXIeDovs
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:04pm On Aug 05, 2012
shymmex:

Hmmm... I would've loved to take you to my hometown (Lagos) - but you got away with a next guy.. sad

I'll like to visit Abidjan as well, and probably Dakar and Cape Verde..

Hayi? What next guy If u visit Abidjan, Holla so if I am there in the same time, I could make you visit smiley

My Cousin is from Cape Verde Praia, she can't stop braggin about how beautiful it is lol...it's in my wish-list smiley
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:22pm On Aug 05, 2012
Sybellah:
Hayi? What next guy If u visit Abidjan, Holla so if I am there in the same time, I could make you visit smiley

My Cousin is from Cape Verde Praia, she can't stop braggin about how beautiful it is lol...it's in my wish-list smiley

You know the next guy, and I understand a little bit of french, you know? grin Cape Verde is definitely the most beautiful country in West Africa and I won't mind living there..

So, if I visit you in Abidjan, what are you going to cook for me?? wink

And what's the situation in Abidjan like right now, after what happened to Laurent Gbagbo?
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:30pm On Aug 05, 2012
shymmex:

You know the next guy, and I understand a little bit of french, you know? grin Cape Verde is definitely the most beautiful country in West Africa and I won't mind living there..

And what's the situation in Abidjan like right now, after what happened to Laurent Gbagbo?

Um right now it is not as bad as last year. The situation has improved, but there is still insecurity. Among the element of the FRCI (new army who put Ouattara in power), there is a lot of indiscipline, resulting in unnecessary killing and vandalism. Right now Abidjan is alright, they are fixing roads, buildings etc...But in the West of the country, Man, toulepleu...people are still getting killed. There is no peace out there sad
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 05, 2012
shymmex:

Hey dun worry , i ll be a good Host grin, be cooking what u like grin
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 05, 2012
Faces of Ashanti people

Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:38pm On Aug 05, 2012
Sybellah:
Um right now it is not as bad as last year. The situation has improved, but there is still insecurity. Among the element of the FRCI (new army who put Ouattara in power), there is a lot of indiscipline, resulting in unnecessary killing and vandalism. Right now Abidjan is alright, they are fixing roads, buildings etc...But in the West of the country, Man, toulepleu...people are still getting killed. There is no peace out there sad

Ouattara and his ilks are the ones destroying Africa - I wish you guys the best of luck.

What's your opinion about Ouattara?
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:39pm On Aug 05, 2012
Sybellah:

Hey dun worry , i ll be a good Host grin, be cooking what u like grin

How do you know what I like? grin
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
shymmex:

Ouattara and his ilks are the ones destroying Africa - I wish you guys the best of luck.

What's your opinion about Ouattara?

I dislike Ouattara, Gbagbo and Bedie. Seriously I hate them and I hope they ll leave us alone, cuz we were better off before those 3 started to mess up with us.
Ouattara = neo-colonialist puppet and tribalist
Gbagbo = Fake panafrican and tribalist
Bedie= Old drunkard who has no idea about what he want smh

I am patiently waiting for new politicians to come out in 2015 and get elected, so this 3 names will be just history
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by BlackKenichi(m): 11:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
Sybellah: The Akan people are an ethnic group found predominantly in Ghana and the Ivory Coast. Akans are the majority in both of these countries and overall have a population of 40 million people.[1][2] The Akan speak Kwa languages.

The Akan are believed to have migrated to their current location from the Sahel[4] between the 10th and 12th Century.[5][6] The kingdom of Bonoman was established as early as the 11th century as a trading state between the Akan and their neighbors, especially those from Djenné, Timbuktu, Bornu among others.[7] A gold boom in the Akan area between the 12th and 13th centuries brought wealth to numerous Akan peoples.[8] During different phases of the Kingdom of Bonoman groups of Akans migrated out of the area to create numerous states based predominantly on gold mining and trading of cash crops.[9][10] This brought wealth to numerous Akan states like Akwamu which stretched all the way to modern Benin[11] and ultimately led to the rise of the most well known Akan empire, the Empire of Ashanti.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akan_people

Characteristics

-Gold
-Pride
-Matriarchal
-Warm
-Welcoming
-Dark Skin
-Good Hair grin grin (Jokes)

Most Numerous group

In Ghana:
-Ashanti
-Fanti
-Nzema
-Akuapem
-Akyem
-Aowin
-Denkyra
-Sefwi
-Brong

In Cote d'Ivoire

-Baoule
-Agni
-Akye
-Adioukrou
-N'Zema
-Abron/Brong
-Abbey (don't really know, said to be related to the Ewe)

If there are akan or anybody knowledgeable about the Akan people and culture on this forum, please help in developing this topic. Thanks smiley

For characteristics. Firstly the Akan aren't matriarchal they're matrilineal! Second you forgot the they're fearsome warriors. Just ask the British. grin
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
shymmex:

How do you know what I like? grin

I know u like pounded yam tongue, i can make it with okwrua stew cheesy or dry okrwa stew wink

Hey Shym, Have u had dry Okrwa(gombo) before? We call it djunble
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:53pm On Aug 05, 2012
Black Kenichi:
For characteristics. Firstly the Akan aren't matriarchal they're matrilineal! Second you forgot the they're fearsome warriors. Just ask the British. grin

ahaha my bad, i meant matrilineal, made a mistake smileythx for correcting. Yes we are real warrior cool we don't take nonsense grin and are very proud of our culture. I know the Baoule had the longuest revolt against the French in West Africa.
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:56pm On Aug 05, 2012
Sybellah:

I know u like pounded yam tongue, i can make it with okwrua stew cheesy or dry okrwa stew wink

Hmmmm.. Pounded yam is my favourite food, and I just munched some Pounded yam with beef stew and ogbono soup.. *Yummy* wink grin

I've never had djunble before, what does it taste like?
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 11:59pm On Aug 05, 2012
Sybellah:
I dislike Ouattara, Gbagbo and Bedie. Seriously I hate them and I hope they ll leave us alone, cuz we were better off before those 3 started to mess up with us.
Ouattara = neo-colonialist puppet and tribalist
Gbagbo = Fake panafrican and tribalist
Bedie= Old drunkard who has no idea about what he want smh

I am patiently waiting for new politicians to come out in 2015 and get elected, so this 3 names will be just history

Sad!! sad

That sums up the problem with Africa..
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 12:05am On Aug 06, 2012
[size=14pt]Ashanti Empire (18th to late 19th century)[/size]

[img]http://1.2.3.9/bmi/static.newworldencyclopedia.org/thumb/1/18/Ghana_empire_map.png/300px-Ghana_empire_map.png[/img]

[img]http://1.2.3.9/bmi/www.blackpast.org/files/blackpast_images/Ashanti_Map.jpg[/img]

The Ashanti Empire was a pre-colonial West African state that emerged in the 17th century in what is now Ghana. The Ashanti or Asante were an ethnic subgroup of the Akan-speaking people, and were comprised of small chiefdoms.

The Ashanti established their state around Kumasi in the late 1600s, shortly after their first encounter with Europeans. In some ways the Empire grew out of the wars and dislocations caused by Europeans who sought the famous gold deposits which gave this region its name, the Gold Coast. During this era the Portuguese were the most active Europeans in West Africa. They made Ashanti a significant trading partner, providing wealth and weapons which allowed the small state to grow stronger than its neighbors. Nonetheless when the 18th Century began Ashanti was simply one of Akan-speaking Portuguese trading partners in the region.

That situation changed when Osei Tutu, the Asantehene (paramount chief) of Ashanti from 1701 to 1717, and his priest Komfo Anokye, unified the independent chiefdoms into the most powerful political and military state in the coastal region. The Asantehene organized the Asante union, an alliance of Akan-speaking people who were now loyal to his central authority. The Asantehene made Kumasi the capital of the new empire. He also created a constitution, reorganized and centralized the military, and created a new cultural festival, Odwira, which symbolized the new union. Most importantly, he created the Golden Stool, which he argued represented the ancestors of all the Ashanti. Upon that Stool Osei Tutu legitimized his rule and that of the royal dynasty that followed him.

Gold was the major product of the Ashanti Empire. Osei Tutu made the gold mines royal possessions. He also made gold dust the circulating currency in the empire. Gold dust was frequently accumulated by Asante citizens, particularly by the evolving wealthy merchant class. However even relatively poor subjects used gold dust as ornamentation on their clothing and other possessions. Larger gold ornaments owned by the royal family and the wealthy were far more valuable. Periodically they were melted down and fashioned into new patterns of display in jewelry and statuary.

If the early Ashanti Empire economy depended on the gold trade in the 1700s, by the early 1800s it had become a major exporter of enslaved people. The slave trade was originally focused north with captives going to Mande and Hausa traders who exchanged them for goods from North Africa and indirectly from Europe. By 1800, the trade had shifted to the south as the Ashanti sought to meet the growing demand of the British, Dutch, and French for captives. In exchanged the Ashanti received luxury items and some manufactured goods including most importantly firearms.

The consequence of this trade for the Ashanti and their neighbors was horrendous. From 1790 until 1896, the Ashanti Empire was in a perpetual state of war involving expansion or defense of its domain. Most of these wars afforded the opportunity to acquire more slaves for trade. The constant warfare also weakened the Empire against the British who eventually became their main adversary. Between 1823 and 1873, the Ashanti Empire resisted British encroachment on their territory. By 1874, however, British forces successfully invaded the Empire and briefly captured Kumasi. The Ashanti rebelled against British rule and the Empire was again conquered in 1896. After yet another uprising in 1900, the British deposed and exiled the Asantehene and annexed the Empire into their Gold Coast colony in 1902.

2 Likes

Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 12:07am On Aug 06, 2012
shymmex:

Sad!! sad

That sums up the problem with Africa..

Yup our politicians are the cause of the backwardness of the continent. They embrace the fact to be manipulated by the west as long as it serves their personal interest. We need a revolution to get out of this vicious situation.
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 12:12am On Aug 06, 2012
shymmex:

Hmmmm.. Pounded yam is my favourite food, and I just munched some Pounded yam with beef stew and ogbono soup.. *Yummy* wink grin

I've never had djunble before, what does it taste like?

I can't describe u the taste ahaha, but i prefer djoumble to akwra stew, specially when it it spicy.

Here is a pic
[img]http://verycynthia.files./2008/11/dsc06610.jpg[/img]

and the recipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpVbfnuva5k
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 4:36am On Aug 06, 2012
^^^The food looks delicious.. *yummy* wink grin
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by ifyalways(f): 10:33am On Aug 07, 2012
@OP,which language is kwa ?
The asantis speak twi not Kwa.Is brong not in Ghana? Brong ahafo region undecided
The things I find interesting with Gh Akans are;
Fatherhood:a fathers role is just to aid conception and provide the soul of the child . Mothes nurtue and keeps the soul.
Golden stool:
It wad said to have floated down from heavens to the legs of osei tutu the 1st Ashanti king.it became a symbol of the Ashanti union and contains the soul of each ashanteman.the stool is so reverred that even kings don't sit on it.
Btw,do Baules really speak or understand Twi? In Ivory coast,Ivorians with Akan ancestry are generally known as "Appolos".
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 07, 2012
ifyalways: @OP,which language is kwa ?
The asantis speak twi not Kwa.

Twi and other akan languages belong to Kwa languages

ifyalways: Is brong not in Ghana? Brong ahafo region undecided

If you read well my 1st post, u ll see i included brong in the ghana section too

ifyalways: The things I find interesting with Gh Akans are;
Fatherhood:a fathers role is just to aid conception and provide the soul of the child . Mothes nurtue and keeps the soul.
Golden stool:
It wad said to have floated down from heavens to the legs of osei tutu the 1st Ashanti king.it became a symbol of the Ashanti union and contains the soul of each ashanteman.the stool is so reverred that even kings don't sit on it.
I have no idea about this.

ifyalways: Btw,do Baules really speak or understand Twi? In Ivory coast,Ivorians with Akan ancestry are generally known as "Appolos".

The Baoule are descendants of the Ashanti, their queen mother Nana Abena Pokuaa aka Abla Poku was also the asante queen mother and sister of Osei Tutu. For more information check this link http://www.ohemaohene.com/dakon-history-queen-nana-abenaa-pokua/

About the language, Baoule and Twi have expressions, many words and names in common. But they can't understand each other. Even within the baoule ethnic groups, there are variations in the language, and some have difficulties to understand others. I believe during their migration, baoule people (ashanti in 16-17 centuries)while migrating, interacted and blended with other akan (sefwi, ahafo) and Mande (Gban, N'Gen, Guro), and this could explain the difference in languages and certain customs. Today the sefwi language is closer to baoule than the twi. AlsoThey took a lot from the guro culture: Mask, dances and sometimes names vice-versa.
Every other akan tribes from CIV that i have mentioned in the 1st post are akan who migrated from ghana as well, during the same period. Not only the Appolo/N'zema are of Ghana descents.
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
shymmex: ^^^The food looks delicious.. *yummy* wink grin

Yes it is Yummy smiley
Re: Outside Nigeria / Cultures In West Africa by ifyalways(f): 7:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
You are right about "kwa" language. Checked it out and funny enough, languages like ewe, Igbo and Yoruba were listed as tribal lingos under the kwa umbrella.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? / 2017 Eri Festival (Olili Obibia Eri) In Pictures / Eheneden Erediauwa Approved As Oba Of Benin By Edo Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.