Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States (2072 Views)

President Buhari’s Unilateral Decision On Coalition Of Muslim States Against Ter / Buhari Implicitly Suggests That Certain Aspect Of Sharia Will Be Made Law / Implementation Of Sharia By Obasanjo Created Boko-Haram! – Gbanite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by sage(m): 5:43pm On Jul 27, 2005
The Sharia Law; what do you think about it

The Kano State Government has started to implement the segregation of men and women. Some nominal Christians are complaining that they are also beign compelled to follow Sharia law. What do you guys really think about the Sharia law and its segregstion of males and females?
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by kazey(m): 1:38pm On Jul 28, 2005
From what i know, Shari-ah can only be implemented in an environment free from corruption, and immorality, from the Islamic perspective. Things like charging someone for crime, requires 3 solid proofs, from people trusted by the community, and with good standings in terms of morals etc, besides that there are other requirements.

So I would say it is abject Hypocrisy. Infact do you know how many brothels they have in Kano, compare to any state in Nigeria? A place like wudil, is flooded with whores, and is well known for serving government officials with special services.

By the way by Islamic rulings, Shari-ah cannot be applied to non-Muslims. So I am really surprised too, on the implementation process. shocked.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by obong(m): 1:49pm On Jul 28, 2005
They federal government needs to go to 'war' with those states and force them to be secular
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by Bibi(m): 1:59pm On Jul 28, 2005
In all intent and pourposes, the introduction of Sharia in a secular country in criminal. Those states that have introduced Sharia are threading on criminality and affront with the Nigeria Status of secularity. The constitusion has not empowered any state to declare itself as a "Muslim State".

I would not join this thread further as it will unearth a long list of issues between the Meaning of Islam, its practices and followership.

The declaration of Sharia and "muslim state" is an affront to other religions and well being of the country. In the end, it will lead to different types of profiling of people as we have notices already (men vs women, Christians vs Moslem, north vs south, etc). It's a bad trend for Nigeria.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by kazey(m): 2:31pm On Jul 28, 2005
Nigerian constitution allows it, so think again. I don't support it at all though.

please read, http://www.shariah2001.nmnonline.net/yadudu_paper.htm .By Professor Awwalu Yadudu, a professor of Law.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by sage(m): 3:53pm On Jul 28, 2005
Stopping sharia law is not as easy as it looks b/cos some adherents(some of who are clearly hypocritical) would see such a move as infringing on there religious 'rights'
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by umorotutu(m): 8:33pm On Jul 28, 2005
The enforcement of sharia law in the northern states is not telling other nations in Nigeria anything new. It is reminding us that Nigeria is a mere geographical expression. Which means other nationalities in Nigeria should go home if they don't like it.
These so called Sharia states forget that the money used to run their states is coming from other nationals in the mere geographical expression.

My advice: come back home if you don't like what the Northerners are doing.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by kazey(m): 8:44pm On Jul 28, 2005
COME BACK HOME?

As long as you are Nigerian, I believe you have the right to stay anywhere within the borders of Nigeria? Everywhere is home, whether it be the north, the south the east or the west.

Allow me to say that, the segregation mentality is totally wrong.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by Seun(m): 11:21pm On Jul 28, 2005
KANO, 26 Jul 2005 (IRIN) - Women in Kano State have been banned from riding in the same buses as men and from riding behind men on motorcycles as the state government extends its application of Islamic Shari’ah law.

The separation of the sexes in this state in northern Nigeria will be enforced by a 9,000-strong religious police force with the power to fine people who ignore the new rules.

State governor Ibrahim Shekarau launched the implementation of the new law on Tuesday at a ceremony at Kano city stadium attended by 10,000 chanting supporters.

He told them that the new road traffic law promulgated by the state government earlier this year would stop “the mixture of men and women in commercial vehicles and the carrying of women on motorcycles.”

“Our aim is to be at the forefront of conducting our activities decently and to protect Allah’s Sharia,” Shekarau added to chants of “Allah is great!”

At the ceremony, the state governor formally presented new 100 mini-buses, 100 motor cycles and 300 motor tricycles which have been bought to ease the implementation of the new law.

Motorcycles as well as cars are widely used as taxis in Kano city.

Shekaru said his government had recruited 9,000 Hisbah or Islamic law enforcers to help with the implementation of the law.

Transport operators who mix men and women in their vehicles risk a fine of 5,000 naira (US $38) or a six-month suspension of their license.

However, some exceptions will still be allowed. A man will still be able to ride in the same car or taxi as his wife and children, for example.

Kano is one of 12 states in Nigeria’s predominantly Muslim north that adopted the strict Shari’ah code in 2000, but it is the first to introduce segregated public transport.

The introduction of Shari’ah deepened mutual suspicions between Nigeria’s Muslim north and the mainly Christian south, erupting in periodic bouts of sectarian violence in which thousands of people have died.

Punishments under the legal code include amputation of limbs for stealing, stoning to death for adultery and homosexual activity and public flogging for premarital sex and drinking alcohol.

Kano’s Muslims majority, for the most part, welcomed the new law.

“It is against the injunctions of Allah for a man to sit close to a woman who is not his wife, and this is what happens in public vehicles,” Suleiman Musa, a Muslim cleric, told IRIN. “That is why we want this law.”

But the large Christian community in Kano, which will have to abide by the new rules too, was less happy.

“In the first place the buses are not enough to serve the millions of people in this city. But then I hope they limit the application to Muslims only, because we Christians won’t accept it,” said Michael Akpabio, a Christian Pentecostal preacher in the city.

Kano, with a population of four million, is the biggest city in northern Nigeria and has long been a hotbed of sectarian violence.

More than 200 people died in the last outburst of Muslim-Christian clashes in Kano in May 2004.

[ENDS]
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by diakim(m): 9:44am On Jul 29, 2005
"Religion is the opium of the society", courtesy of Sigmund Freud.

Instead of moving forward in this country, all we do is move backward. It is a pity. Instead of our leaders giving the people what they want, like employment, security of life and property, free and qualitative education, social amenities and infrastructure, good governance, etc, they give religion to the people.

It is all hypocrisy. "This is a society where thieves are chiefs; a society where morons are barons; a society where monkey de work baboon de chop". As long as we mix religion with politics, we can never make progress because religion blind the eyes of people. And this is what african leaders do generally, they use religion and ethnicity to perpetuate themselves in power.

We seriously need to prayer for Nigeria, otherwise we are forever doomed to religious and ethnic champions who parade themselves as leaders. May God deliver Nigeria from their hands (amen).
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by sage(m): 4:44pm On Aug 01, 2005
i wish nigeria had as many hospitals, or orphanages as are churches and mosques
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by kazey(m): 9:15pm On Aug 01, 2005
I take that as a prayer. AMEN.

Nigerians want to go to heaven, i suppose.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by hotangel2(f): 5:18am On Aug 02, 2005
sharia law should be banned.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by Imnakoya(m): 6:10pm On Aug 07, 2005
Re: "Women in Kano State have been banned from riding in the same buses as men and from riding behind men on motorcycles as the state government extends its application of Islamic Shari’ah law.

The separation of the sexes in this state in northern Nigeria will be enforced by a 9,000-strong religious police force with the power to fine people who ignore the new rules."

This is the most lousy law ever!...so if Kano were a big metropolis like Lagos what would they do? Some are so drunk on power that they start having imbecilic tendencies.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by stimulus(m): 12:38pm On May 07, 2007
sage:

The Sharia Law; what do you think about it

The Kano State Government has started to implement the segregation of men and women. Some nominal Christians are complaining that they are also beign compelled to follow Sharia law. What do you guys really think about the Sharia law and its segregstion of males and females?

At first, they said it would affect only Muslims. Two years later, the segregation and "compelling" directives are still being interpreted by most as a matter of "preserving our culture!"

In other words, in order to preserve another man's culture (in the Nigerian context), my rights as a citizen within my country should be submitted over to another man who's afraid his culture is on the brink of a collapse, or possibly extinction.

We dey wait to see what's ahead; and God help us as a nation.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by Afam(m): 12:52pm On May 07, 2007
The same way a father makes the rules for members of his family is the same way a state makes law for the citizens of that state just as the federal government makes law governing a nation.

In reality, the law that is closest to you in terms of implementation is what affects you the most not one that is distant.

I live and work in Lagos and the day Lagos state wakes up and decides to implement laws that I do not want I will either abide by the laws or relocate to another state.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by stimulus(m): 2:08pm On May 07, 2007
Afam:

I live and work in Lagos and the day Lagos state wakes up and decides to implement laws that I do not want I will either abide by the laws or relocate to another state.

We are used to partisan talk like this, which again confirms that the hidden agenda of the Muslim North is calculated to divide Nigerians.

If the Kano State Government enacts a "law" and pronounces that is affects ONLY muslims, at least, I should be proud that my NATIONAL identity as a NIGERIAN is preserved.

But when that "law" translates into imposition and trampling upon the rights of non-Muslims, not only is it DISHONEST and FRAUDULENT, it is deep-seated COWARDICE and ILLITERATE!!
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by Afam(m): 2:30pm On May 07, 2007
And your point is?

Leave out the rhetorics and focus on the crux of the matter and you will see where you are missing the point due to a mindset based on a wrong premise.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by stimulus(m): 2:46pm On May 07, 2007
I'm already familiar with your type of rhetorics, my guy. And I'm still wondering about the deception in the actions of the Sharia Governors.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by mazaje(m): 9:32pm On May 07, 2007
Enforcing sharia if its for the benefit of all will be accepted but with the way they are going about it i just believe they governor wants to distract the attention of the people and use the full implementation of sharia to make up for his failures and score cheap political goals. lets wait and see how events will unfold.
Re: Enforcement of Sharia Law in Muslim States by jantavanta(m): 9:30am On May 09, 2012
Kano State wanted to be a mini Saudi-Arabia believing it will accompanied by the material splendour
and economic ease that is displayed to visitors to Saudi Arabia.

They have created a conducive environment for bomb-blasters.
They never envisaged that they were instead heading to a mini-Somalia.

(1) (Reply)

Two Members of REP Have Collapse; One Dead / Nigeria - Church Leaders Back Gadaffi / While Bb Fans Delude Themselves,no Single Person 'voted' Bb Party In My Ward!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.