Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,287 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41389 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 1:08pm On Aug 10, 2012
Donxavier:

Anybody earning 150k or more monthly is earning a decent wage to live a meaningful life in Nigeria.

150k/month is a decent wage in nigeria? you need at least a million naira per month income to live comfortably in nigeria. anything less is feeding from hand to mouth!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 10, 2012
coogar:

150k/month is a decent wage in nigeria? you need at least a million naira per month income to live comfortably in nigeria. anything less is feeding from hand to mouth!

150k/per month as an entry grad trainee isn't bad at all. As one rises the ladder the money increases. Let's not despise little beginnings. Even if not grad trainee, if you earn this and live prudently in a couple of years one would be different.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Aug 10, 2012
coogar:

Point of correction. You only need a million if you want to maintain the standard of living abroad.
In the real sense, you should be "OKAY" if you make anything from 250k a month.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by guddylover(m): 3:32pm On Aug 10, 2012
I get your point too, but the problem I have is that many talk about this issue of being an immigrant in another country like it is a disease or something. Come to think of it, going abroad should be a personal choice. By the way, there as never been a time that I was treated like
shit cos am an immigrant here. My believe is this' whatever you think is worth doing, do it to the very best. I was living in Nigeria; where I was born and I have instances of how I was molested, humiliated, and harassed by this so called Nigerian police; mind you I am a first class citizen in Nigeria like you guys always say it 'first class citizen'. The fact is that I don't care about you being a first class citizen or not...I live in Canada now and am being treated like a normal human being, so I don't know where this first class issue comes from. I will definitely return to my country when am fulfilled. And your example about Okonjo Iweala is not a good example at all, cos she is not doing Nigeria any better.

Donxavier:

I heard you the first time. If you lay your hat in Ukraine or most of the Eastern European countries where to come out at night is a problem, well that's your luck. Or if you're in Europe and doing very well but you can't seem to break the ceiling and get into Top Senior Management Level just because you are an immigrant, that's your luck. None of these whites ever see you as anything except an immigrant no matter how nice they are towards you. Even you you know you're different. There's just no place of honour as the place of your birth or as your home country. See how South Africans revere Mandela, he can never get that kind of honour anywhere except South Africa. It's the same reason someone like Okonjo Iweala would want to come home too after staying abroad for so long and working in virtually every continent. There is just some dignity and honour in life that you can only get in your place of birth. I know there is tribalism,Nepotism and the likes.Your own People can beef you for whatever reasons, but nobody can hate you in Nigeria just because you are Black. I have never heard of anybody hated in Nigeria because he looks 'Nigerian'. God help us all.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 3:36pm On Aug 10, 2012
Donxavier:

150k/per month as an entry grad trainee isn't bad at all. As one rises the ladder the money increases. Let's not despise little beginnings. Even if not grad trainee, if you earn this and live prudently in a couple of years one would be different.

how do you intend to pay rent, utilities, transport, etc with 150k/month?

A-town:

Point of correction. You only need a million if you want to maintain the standard of living abroad.
In the real sense, you should be "OKAY" if you make anything from 250k a month.

250k a month? maybe if you intend staying with your parents....otherwise 250k is still small.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by guddylover(m): 3:37pm On Aug 10, 2012
Bros, hate is hate, it doesnt matter if its becos you are black, christian, or muslim

A question for you: where do you reside?

Donxavier:

It's pathetic, but that's life. People hate people for varied reasons, even blood brothers may hate themselves after some kind of betrayal or something else. But nobody hates you because you look like a Nigerian or because your skin color is black in Nigeria. Why I am more particular about Skin color is because that's something we can't change except you want to go the way of Micheal Jackson lol and we are not responsible for our skin color. It's the way we are born. Why should anyone hate you because of that. People may hate you for your attitude or behavior or just plain envy. But there's nothing more demeaning than hatred just because of your race.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 10, 2012
guddylover: Bros, hate is hate, it doesnt matter if its becos you are black, christian, or muslim

A question for you: where do you reside?

Lagos.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by guddylover(m): 4:19pm On Aug 10, 2012
Irrespective of where you live, my point still stand. Like I have said, being an immigrant is not a new thing.

They say enjoy it while it last. So am just trying to enjoy my sojourn and try to make the best of it before i head back to my beloved country Nigeria' that is if the condition changes for the better, and if not, I have no choice other than to still hang around here. Dem no dey catch person for that oo

see you then!

Donxavier:

Lagos.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 10, 2012
coogar:

how do you intend to pay rent, utilities, transport, etc with 150k/month?

250k a month? maybe if you intend staying with your parents....otherwise 250k is still small.

250 is more than the average salary of most graduates and a lot of them are "okay" and don't live with their parents. Of course, the more the merrier but 250 is still okay oo. You may not get to live in posh areas but you'll still be okay naw
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 7:31pm On Aug 10, 2012
I don't see any difference between racism and tribAlism

Just the way you didn't choose to be black you didn't choose to be Yoruba Fulani or Ibo
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ola4yinka(m): 7:44pm On Aug 10, 2012
@All....as long as there are British, Americans and Canadians in Nigeria, what stops Nigerians from going to their countries too?... Wether u are for or against it, Nigerians will always relocate to other countries for real ! So why wasting time hitting on an unending issue like this?...
Thread closed!!!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 7:52pm On Aug 10, 2012
A-town:

250 is more than the average salary of most graduates and a lot of them are "okay" and don't live with their parents. Of course, the more the merrier but 250 is still okay oo. You may not get to live in posh areas but you'll still be okay naw

define "okay"?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 10, 2012
coogar:

define "okay"?

OKAY = put food on the table, pay school fees, nepa etc plus transport money for "okada" .. tongue
Of course you won't be eating at mama cass and your child won't attend the american international school but you get my point na..,,

Compared to the standard of living abroad, yeah well 250 won't match that for you but for nigerian standards i think 250 is good na. tongue
coogar:

define "okay"?

OKAY = put food on the table, pay school fees, nepa etc plus transport money for "okada" ..
Of course you won't be eating at mama cass and your child won't attend the american international school but you get my point na..,,

Compared to the standard of living abroad, yeah well 250 won't match that for you but for nigerian standards i think 250 is good na.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 10, 2012
dayokanu: I don't see any difference between racism and tribAlism

Just the way you didn't choose to be black you didn't choose to be Yoruba Fulani or Ibo

Tribalism doesn't exist among people of your own tribe. Racism doesn't exist among your own Race. I mean you don't feel the effects of Tribalism amongst your own tribe or Racism amongst people of your own race.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 10, 2012
ola4yinka: @All....as long as there are British, Americans and Canadians in Nigeria, what stops Nigerians from going to their countries too?... Wether u are for or against it, Nigerians will always relocate to other countries for real ! So why wasting time hitting on an unending issue like this?...
Thread closed!!!

Nobody is against Nigerians relocating to other countries for whatever reasons. Each to his own. But no british,American or Canadian wants to permanently reside here indefinitely. They all go back to their countries after a while. Not so with Nigerians abroad. They want to die there.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by guddylover(m): 4:59am On Aug 11, 2012
If dey want to die there whats your biz, you too stubborn sef

Donxavier:

Nobody is against Nigerians relocating to other countries for whatever reasons. Each to his own. But no british,American or Canadian wants to permanently reside here indefinitely. They all go back to their countries after a while. Not so with Nigerians abroad. They want to die there.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 5:01am On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

Tribalism doesn't exist among people of your own tribe. Racism doesn't exist among your own Race. I mean you don't feel the effects of Tribalism amongst your own tribe or Racism amongst people of your own race.

So how does this make one better than the other?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by steve13(m): 3:02pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

One thing I noticed about you is,U̶̲̥̅̊ don't call a spade a spade..,I don't care where I die or where I was buried,its gonna be my decission,white men live in naija,but only in Ikoyi,Vi and other posh areas, some one living at ikotun and alaba suru and other bad areas in lag and they managed to leave nigeria to a "posh" country and trying to stand at their feet should return Return to where?? Crazy!!I rather die in a beautiful country side home in england than return when I can not afford a N60M house on the island,do U̶̲̥̅̊ get??abroad even if U̶̲̥̅̊ re poor,U̶̲̥̅̊ will enjoy the beautiful life,lagos is all hustle,both the rich and poor,they hustle, so pls stop saying nigeria is better pls,it all depends on how much U̶̲̥̅̊ ve got to be a bit "Okay", let me give U̶̲̥̅̊ an example,if U̶̲̥̅̊ live aborad for 10 years,U̶̲̥̅̊ will never see a naked petrol unless U̶̲̥̅̊ filled ur car tank and some got away,....you know the next thing am gonna say about nigeria...people store fuel under their bed,secondly,nigeria is an oil rich nation yet fuel scarcity can burst out any time,third, i saw the other day at mile2 where a tanker carrying PMS got down and burst into flames, 32 cars burnt ..people dead!! You live in a very very rough enviroment with low quality of life and low life expectancy,its not always all about cash or buying a land,Nah,take it or leave it, SMH

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 11, 2012
^^^
The real issue is valuing our heritage and where we come from. Relocating abroad or living abroad all those are side issues. My belief is that I was born in Nigeria for a reason and I should partake in nation building. If I could have survived in Nigeria up to this point, then Nigeria doesn't pose a threat to me. We all know the negatives in Nigeria, it's an overflogged issue. Regardless of how Nigeria is, No light, No water, Bad roads, Bad drainage, horrible government, Insecurity,Super Corruption and all the ills afflicting this nation it is the nation of our birth and I should contribute my own quota to the development of the nation. I believe with Education and hardwork I should at least be able to live decently in this country by any reasonable standard. The way some of those abroad talk you just wonder who will develop the country they are vehemently running away from, like it's not theirs. There must have been a reason why they were born here, otherwise they would have been born in another country. At the beginning of one's journey in Life when one is a nobody, then by all means focus on yourself and develop yourself but when one attains a certain level of achievement then the issue becomes what you have done for humanity. And like they say Charity begins at Home. But Home is different things to different people.

Kofi Annan was the former UN Secretary General. A man who has seen it all. He lived abroad for most of his working life and if there is someone that is exempted from all the consequences of Africans living abroad, then that is one. How high can you go after the that? When he finished his term he returned to Ghana, why? Why doesn't he want to die in New York or Live their Forever? Why did he go back to Ghana?. Even Emeka Anyaoku, the Former Commonwealth Man also returned home after their terms. I don't know, but this people have seen the height and the breadth of living abroad in all its Luxuries and all abroad has to offer, Yet they still returned home.

The conclusion of the matter is there just some kind of honour and dignity that comes with being successful in your Home. That's where you can be Boss, Be well respected and Honoured in a way that can't be done anywhere else.

Just my personal thoughts and feelings on the matter. Not forcing my opinion on anybody and I realise and respect people's free choice to decide for themselves what is best for them.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ernestleon(m): 4:19pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier: ^^^
The real issue is valuing our heritage and where we come from. Relocating abroad or living abroad all those are side issues. My belief is that I was born in Nigeria for a reason and I should partake in nation building. If I could have survived in Nigeria up to this point, then Nigeria doesn't pose a threat to me. We all know the negatives in Nigeria, it's an overflogged issue. Regardless of how Nigeria is, No light, No water, Bad roads, Bad drainage, horrible government, Insecurity,Super Corruption and all the ills afflicting this nation it is the nation of our birth and I should contribute my own quota to the development of the nation. I believe with Education and hardwork I should at least be able to live decently in this country by any reasonable standard. The way some of those abroad talk you just wonder who will develop the country they are vehemently running away from, like it's not theirs. There must have been a reason why they were born here, otherwise they would have been born in another country. At the beginning of one's journey in Life when one is a nobody, then by all means focus on yourself and develop yourself but when one attains a certain level of achievement then the issue becomes what you have done for humanity. And like they say Charity begins at Home. But Home is different things to different people.

Kofi Annan was the former UN Secretary General. A man who has seen it all. He lived abroad for most of his working life and if there is someone that is exempted from all the consequences of Africans living abroad, then that is one. How high can you go after the that? When he finished his term he returned to Ghana, why? Why doesn't he want to die in New York or Live their Forever? Why did he go back to Ghana?. Even Emeka Anyaoku, the Former Commonwealth Man also returned home after their terms. I don't know, but this people have seen the height and the breadth of living abroad in all its Luxuries and all abroad has to offer, Yet they still returned home.

The conclusion of the matter is there just some kind of honour and dignity that comes with being successful in your Home. That's where you can be Boss, Be well respected and Honoured in a way that can't be done anywhere else.

Just my personal thoughts and feelings on the matter. Not forcing my opinion on anybody and I realise and respect people's free choice to decide for themselves what is best for them.
you should bother yourself about packing your bags and books,remember the aberdeen trip is just weeks away.When you get to scotland,use yourself as a case study try to figure out why Nigerians dont want to come back home.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by justwise(m): 4:27pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier: ^^^

If you were asked by any university in Nigeria to pay 3M naira for 9months course will you?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 11, 2012
justwise:

If you were asked by any university in Nigeria to pay 3M naira for 9months course will you?

Nope, I won't. But I might build one worthy of such amount here in Nigeria someday.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by justwise(m): 4:42pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

Nope, I won't. But I might build one worthy of such amount here in Nigeria someday.

You will not pay such amount to Nigerian university but you are ready to pay that to foreign university and invest another 1.3M naira (rents and bills) in their economy?

As a very patriotic Nigerian why did not look for a good school in Nigeria even if its private one to study?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ernestleon(m): 4:42pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

But you would to a scotish university
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 11, 2012
justwise:

You will not pay such amount to Nigerian university but you are ready to pay that to foreign university and invest another 1.3M naira (rents and bills) in their economy?

As a very patriotic Nigerian why did not look for a good school in Nigeria even if its private one to study?

It's not only about the fees paid. It's more about the experience, the change in environment and other intangibles that I can't get from being only in Nigeria. Hey. Am not against foreign experience. It is needed. What I don't understand is why many people don't come back to improve the nation and say all scathing about the country they belong too.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by justwise(m): 4:56pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

It's not only about the fees paid. It's more about the experience, the change in environment and other intangibles that I can't get from being only in Nigeria. Hey. Am not against foreign experience. It is needed. What I don't understand is why many people don't come back to improve the nation and say all scathing about the country they belong too.

My point is this. . . why did you not invest that 4m naira plus in Nigeria economy as a way of building Nigeria or contributing to nation building?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 4:59pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

You're about to enter one chance with this line of argument you're pursuing grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Aug 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

You're about to enter one chance with this line of argument you're pursuing grin

Okay, help me out now.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 5:07pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

Okay, help me out now.

Bros. This particular one I will sit out. grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ernestleon(m): 5:08pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

Okay, help me out now.
bros donxaiver i kind of like your personality despite having conflicting opinion.Im sorry if i had gone too personal with my comments
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 11, 2012
justwise:

My point is this. . . why did you not invest that 4m naira plus in Nigeria economy as a way of building Nigeria or contributing to nation building?

Because when I'm back I will contribute something better. Now is the sowing stage.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 5:14pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

Because when I'm back I will contribute something better. Now is the sowing stage.

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to study in Aberdeen?

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

10 Reasons Nigerian Immigrants Would Enjoy Canada / Lagosians Use Faeces To Put Out Fire On Road, Poo Truck Explodes (Video) / The Deplorable State Of The Nigerian Embassy In Malaysia (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.