Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? (19969 Views)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by mpmp: 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2012
pstbolanta: I was invited by a friend to his church last sunday,when the pastor started to preach,he kept on hammering on TITHING,that anyone that does not pay hios tithe will go to heaven and your tithe should not be you basic pay but total gross pay,you need to see the way he was stretching on it assive his life depended on it,i began to start feeling quilty of not paying instatntly,but i know i have some very reliable friends on nairaland to sample their opinion on this TITHING WAHALA,ARE WE BIND TO PAY TITHE

I think the bigger question is:
1) WILL / CAN A MAN ROB GOD AND GET TO HEAVEN?
Answer: emphatic NO.

2) The next logical question will be: CAN A MORTAL MAN REALLY ROB THE IMMORTAL GOD
answer: YES

3) HOW CAN A MORTAL MAN ROB THE IMMORTAL GOD
simply: BY GIVING UNTO MAN / SOME OTHER ENTITY WHATEVER BELONGS TO GOD.

this includes, please enumerate:
- the first place in your heart
- yourself,
- your time and talent,
- your worship and praise,
- your tithes and offerings,
- all the glory, honor and praise you receive from men.

Tithes and Offerings is like when you have only two children and you give them a primary responsibility never to forget helping each other. The instruction you have given to your own children doesnt mean you will / have any intention automatically forgotten either of them.

The case with pointing fingers at "so called men of God" who pocket the tithes and offerings of their members is two fold:
1) If you are sure, if you have done enough research and successfully concluded that Church money is diverted into the pastor's pockets? why are you still attending that Church?

Do you think a pastor that eats God's money can really lead you(a member) to Heaven's gates? How? Can't you read the Bible yourself and pray that God will lead you somewhere else where pastor and members hold the word of God with fear and reverence? Havent you read the Bible to see what happens to those that sitteth with sinners? What are you doing amongst sinners calling themselves children of God? By the time judgement begins, you will receive your own share by your identification with them.

So you see, you yourself have a problem which must be addressed first.

2) back to my opening question:
WILL / CAN A MAN ROB GOD AND GET TO HEAVEN?
If you, as a Church member cannot rob God and get to heaven, do you think your pastor / any others who "eat God's money" will get to heaven? another emphatic No.

No one has robbed God and gone scot-free.

If heaven is your ultimate, the next question will be: why are you more concerned about someone who isnt ready for heaven. Why did you make such a person your pastor? Why not try to save yourself with fear and trembling. If you, from your heart have given to God, dont bother about the person that decides to be a thief. God knows who his real children are and soon, wheat will be separated from chaff.

Leave God to identify the chaffs, just make sure you are among the wheat.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by NosaHenry(m): 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2012
I believe in doing first thing first, if you are paying tithe and not yet a good Christian your tithes should as well be considered dustbin material. I am still struggling with salvation therefore talk about tithe payment is for another stage of spiritual development.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by tunnytox(m): 2:16pm On Aug 12, 2012
Goshen360:

I am weary of "tithe" topic on this board. Hence, I stopped talking for a while. However, statement like this from people like you has drawn me into this subject again. How can you make such a statement without a biblical verse to support your claim. Even in Israel, NOT EVERYONE WAS COMMANDED TO "BRING" tithe, not to talk of "PAY" tithe. So you think "tithe" is what you "owe" God?. THERE IS NO WHERE, NOT A SINGLE VERSE IN THE SCRIPTURES THAT TELLS "CHRISTIANS" TO TITHE - This might baffle your "theology" but it's the truth. Christianity didn't start until AFTER the death of Christ. Hence, they were first called Christian in Acts of Apostle. Therefore, you might want to show everyone where tithe is COMMANDED to ALL Christians from Acts to Revelation.

This show you don't know what you are talking about, (I don't mean insult though). God NEVER commanded tithe from INCOME. God's biblical tithe is SPECIFICALLY FROM CROPS AND ANIMALS. That is being specific. I will like you to show us where God SPECIFICALLY mentioned INCOME, as in monetary income. Again, you called church the house of God. You erred in this statement. The church is the body of Christ, not the building. The storehouse where tithe of crops/animals were commanded in the OT was a small house inside the temple of OT. Today, our body is the temple of God and we, collection of believer as a whole is the body of Christ called the church.

@ Topic,

Tithe is NOT a NT testament practice for NT believers. God commanded it for OT Israel which was a type and shadow of NT Christian. However, it was replaced with freewill giving which is by grace. Many pastors are guilty of this fraud in the name of God called tithe. Like someone said while I was reading comments, there are kinds of heaven, so which one will tithe take you to? Tithe is NEVER a commandment to the CHRISTIAN BELIEVERS and it has been proved to be a modern day fraud in the name of God.

100% supported
Tithing by an average Nigerian church is 100% FRAUD
Daylight robbery!
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Goshen360(m): 2:16pm On Aug 12, 2012
inereunwa1: you guys should read the link in my signature the answers are there!!

I have gone through the link in your signature. I didn't see the one that relates to this topic. Kindly point us to it or create the link and paste here. Thank you.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by mpmp: 2:18pm On Aug 12, 2012
Nosa-Henry:
I believe in doing first thing first, if you are paying tithe and not yet a good Christian your tithes should as well be considered dustbin material. I am still struggling with salvation therefore talk about tithe payment is for another stage of spiritual development.

My question to you is:

whenever you get to that point where you feel that you as a person are a GOOD CHRISTIAN, you have seriously landed in error!

Is there a bad Christian? You are a either a child of God or you are not. You cant be a bad child of God, coz God doesnt have any bad children. But at what point do we become Good? Only God can say. Perhaps when you die, stand before God and He welcomes you to Heaven. On the other hand, its not all those whom you see carrying big Bibles around that God considers His Children in the first place.

And why should you be struggling receiving something that is freely given? If you struggle to sleep at night, you are sick. Why struggle to leave sin behind and embrace righteousness. Perhaps its not a stuggle afterall, its a lack of surrender. You are "struggling" coz you havent surrendered and you are highly responsible for your struggle. Its better you leave yourself in God's hand and see if He wont help you.

He hasnt dissapointed anyone yet, so if He dissapoints you, you'll be the first.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Chylo(m): 2:21pm On Aug 12, 2012
Chylo: Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have noticed something in all the responses here. People are just commenting on what they think or feel, but noone is talking about what the scriptures say. People get confused, even true believers, due to the way it has been so perverted, but God's principles remain the same. I will not argue either way, but I will simply present the scriptures (all from the new testament too) for you to make up your own minds.

1. Matt. 23:23 and Luke 11:42 - Jesus condemns the scribes and Pharisees for tithing even the smallest things, without doing the more important things like mercy, fair judgement and faith. However, He then concludes by asking them to do these more vital things, without leaving the tithing undone. I think this answers the OP's question. No, tithing alone will not get you to heaven!

2. Luke 18:12-14 - Jesus tells the story of two people praying, one a Pharisee, one a sinner. The Pharisee prays proudly saying he fasts twice a week and pays tithes, while the sinner prays humbly for mercy. Jesus concludes that the sinner is more justified than the other because,"everyone that exaltheth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted". Notice that Jesus does not condemn d scribe for tithing, but rather for being proud about it. If tithing were wrong from here, then so also would fasting twice a week. The lesson is, if you tithe, well and good, do not be proud of it. Also, if you are a sinner and do not tithe, God can still accept you; but this is not the ideal situation.

3. Hebrews 7:4-9 - Here, Paul suggests that tithing is a spiritual principle. Of particular importance is verse 8, where Paul says, "And here men that die receive tithes; but there He receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth". In other words, as human beings receive tithes here on earth, Jesus in heaven receives them there. When you pay tithes, you are not giving to any man, but to Jesus himself. You should imagine you are standing before God when presenting it. This is also an answer to those people saying you can pay tithes by giving alms, this is not what the scripture teaches.

What I can only say to pastors is that, please and please do not force people to pay tithes, it does not guarantee heaven, neither does it make one holy; however, simply present the Word of God to the people and leave them with the choice of whether to obey or not to obey.

Thank you very much.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 12, 2012
jerseyboy:

Jesus did not speak in Malachi. The words of Jesus can only be found as recorded by those who heard Him ONLY IN THE 4 GOSPELS. When people claim inspiration from holy spirits and angels you have to consider human elements in what has trasnpired.

Most of Christianity should be based on the 4 gospels. Much of the old testament is Jewish traditions.

Please show me where Jesus endorsed 10% tithe.

K, I have your medicine bro..

Matthew 23

23 “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

Luke 11

42 “What sorrow awaits you Pharisees! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

Is that ok for you?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 12, 2012
jerseyboy:

Jesus did not speak in Malachi. The words of Jesus can only be found as recorded by those who heard Him ONLY IN THE 4 GOSPELS. When people claim inspiration from holy spirits and angels you have to consider human elements in what has trasnpired.

Most of Christianity should be based on the 4 gospels. Much of the old testament is Jewish traditions.

Please show me where Jesus endorsed 10% tithe.

Matthew 23

23 “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

Luke 11

42 “What sorrow awaits you Pharisees! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

Is that ok for you?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by tunnytox(m): 2:33pm On Aug 12, 2012
Are Xtians under the law?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by blessedghost(m): 2:41pm On Aug 12, 2012
TITHING is very good weather you like it or not, a lot of people have breakthrough paying of tithe and majority get promoted in their working places, so what are we talking about?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Parnassuss(m): 2:44pm On Aug 12, 2012
teminoni: Paying tithe is not a condition to enter the kingdom of heaven. But Jesus requested that as good christians, we should pay tithe. And the tithe should be used for the maintenance of the church and for feeding the poor and the old widowed members of the church.

How about when a good tithe paying Christian sees that his tithes are only making the pastor richer, what is he obligated to do then?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2012
Parnassuss:

How about when a good tithe paying Christian sees that his tithes are only making the pastor richer, what is he obligated to do then?

cheesy grin cheesy

That means the Pastor is not doing what the bible instructs. Therefore, he must be corrected, or you can look for another Pastor that knows the right thing to do.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 12, 2012
So sad that many Christains don't know their Bible and Bible passages, we only wait on Pastors.
Anyway this is the verse where Christ instructed us Giving to the Poor as the way to get to heaven, and Judgement of the whole world will be based on acts of love and charity not on sect or tribe or all other divisive factors we have created

31"But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 34Then the King will tell those on his right hand, 'Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. 36I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink? 38When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?'

40"The King will answer them, 'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' 41Then he will say also to those on the left hand, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; 42for I was hungry, and you didn't give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; 43I was a stranger, and you didn't take me in; naked, and you didn't clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn't visit me.'

44"Then they will also answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn't help you?'

45"Then he will answer them, saying, 'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you didn't do it to one of the least of these, you didn't do it to me.' 46These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Mattew 25
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Goshen360(m): 2:50pm On Aug 12, 2012
teminoni:

Matthew 23

Luke 11

Is that ok for you?

One thing you failed to understand is this - Matthew to John, Jesus was still under the law and was born into the law. The law was still active during the days of Jesus. Let me help you understand Matthew 23:23 without going into too many other scriptures.

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Matthew 23:23 Kjv

1. It wasn't the DISCIPLES or APOSTLES that were practicing tithe here. It was the scribes and pharisees.

2. What is the content of their tithe? The answer is right there in the verse - "ye pay tithe of MINTS and ANISE and CUMMIN. God's BIBLICAL kind of Tithe was commanded ONLY to nation of Israel is from crops and animals, not money even though money existed from Genesis. Also, not EVERYONE in Israel was commanded to bring tithe, ONLY those who are involved in CROPS and ANIMALS.

3. This tithe being referred to by Jesus is STILL according to the law. If the law was still active at the time Jesus was speaking, Jesus could not have taught the people to break the law then. That will be a sin to him. How did I know it is still a thing of the law then? The context speaks for itself - "and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law". It was still a MATTER OF THE LAW at the time Jesus was speaking. Hence, Jesus would say......you have to do it without leaving other undone.

4. The law was a schoolmaster that should lead Israel to Christ. After Christ died, he fulfilled the law and the works of the end ended by bring people to Christ. The law......of Moses is no longer needed after Christ died because the death of Christ fulfilled the law of Moses and gave a new law called the NT.

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by KiKatanga: 2:58pm On Aug 12, 2012
If you give tithe to a pastor you know might miss use it, you are still stealing from god.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 12, 2012
Goshen360:

One thing you failed to understand is this - Matthew to John, Jesus was still under the law and was born into the law. The law was still active during the days of Jesus. Let me help you understand Matthew 23:23 without going into too many other scriptures.

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Matthew 23:23 Kjv

1. It wasn't the DISCIPLES or APOSTLES that were practicing tithe here. It was the scribes and pharisees.

2. What is the content of their tithe? The answer is right there in the verse - "ye pay tithe of MINTS and ANISE and CUMMIN. God's BIBLICAL kind of Tithe was commanded ONLY to nation of Israel is from crops and animals, not money even though money existed from Genesis. Also, not EVERYONE in Israel was commanded to bring tithe, ONLY those who are involved in CROPS and ANIMALS.

3. This tithe being referred to by Jesus is STILL according to the law. If the law was still active at the time Jesus was speaking, Jesus could not have taught the people to break the law then. That will be a sin to him. How did I know it is still a thing of the law then? The context speaks for itself - "and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law". It was still a MATTER OF THE LAW at the time Jesus was speaking. Hence, Jesus would say......you have to do it without leaving other undone.

4. The law was a schoolmaster that should lead Israel to Christ. After Christ died, he fulfilled the law and the works of the end ended by bring people to Christ. The law......of Moses is no longer needed after Christ died because the death of Christ fulfilled the law of Moses and gave a new law called the NT.

LOOLL.. Dude, I'v given u like 5 verses today and you are still arguing and coming up with excuses. Ok, go ahead and don't pay you tithe. It doesn't affect me.

I can see your heart has been hardened by the devil.
BTW, Jesus never taught anyone to break any law.

I rest my case.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by 1k001(m): 3:22pm On Aug 12, 2012
@Goshen360: teminoni has a point. moreover Christianity can not be reduced to only what Jesus said in the bible.

At the modest of estimations the words of Jesus will fill so many volumes.

We are priviledged to have some of what he said and some of what he revealed to his servants the prophet (Amos 3:7)

In any case going by the words of Jesus, he required the young rich man to forsake all his riches and follow him. One could take that to mean that not just a tenth is required for tithe but rather all that we possess
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Goshen360(m): 3:23pm On Aug 12, 2012
teminoni:

LOOLL.. Dude, I'v given u like 5 verses today and you are still arguing and coming up with excuses. Ok, go ahead and don't pay you tithe. It doesn't affect me.

I can see your heart has been hardened by the devil.
BTW, Jesus never taught anyone to break any law.

I rest my case.

Please teach the truth of God's word and not your preconceived teachings. Jesus never taught anyone to break the law. What am I saying in my previous post? Are we then still under the law? I just said the same thing that Jesus wasn't against tithe then when he spoke in Matt. 23:23 simple because it was still a "matter of the law". I guess you are dodging from the truth of God's word. Again, kindly show God's people from Acts of Apostle to Revelation where Christian are commanded to tithe? Is that too hard for you? If you can't, then you are guilty of spreading false teachings of tithing.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2012
[/color]
teminoni:

Matthew 23

Luke 11

Is that ok for you?

Thank you.That was instructive. How much of you income then should you tithe and whom should it go to. I will think it should go directly to the poor and needy. Again I will like to remain within the 4 gospels.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Goshen360(m): 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2012
1k001: @Goshen360: teminoni has a point. moreover Christianity can not be reduced to only what Jesus said in the bible.

At the modest of estimations the words of Jesus will fill so many volumes.

We are priviledged to have some of what he said and some of what he revealed to his servants the prophet (Amos 3:7)

In any case going by the words of Jesus, he required the young rich man to forsake all his riches and follow him. One could take that to mean that not just a tenth is required for tithe but rather all that we possess

My brother. This is not about making a point. It is about "sound doctrine". Good point my sound good but doesn't necessarily mean sound teaching. teminoni is yet to ground his teachings in the NT. Like I said, the NT doesn't begin with Matthew to John, it began from Acts of Apostle to Revelation. Hebrews 9:16-17,

For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. Heb 9:15 KJV

And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. Heb. 12:24 KJV
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by manmade(m): 3:36pm On Aug 12, 2012
tithing was never made compulsory by the Bible but the modern churches are imposing it on their members for their selffish reasons,this xplain why it was not recorded in bible that jesus christ paid tithes to any church neither did he collects offerings frm his followers .

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 12, 2012
jerseyboy: [/color]

Thank you.That was instructive. How much of you income then should you tithe and whom should it go to. I will think it should go directly to the poor and needy. Again I will like to remain within the 4 gospels.
debrief08: So sad that many Christains don't know their Bible and Bible passages, we only wait on Pastors.
Anyway this is the verse where Christ instructed us Giving to the Poor as the way to get to heaven, and Judgement of the whole world will be based on acts of love and charity not on sect or tribe or all other divisive factors we have created

31"But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 34Then the King will tell those on his right hand, 'Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. 36I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink? 38When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?'

40"The King will answer them, 'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' 41Then he will say also to those on the left hand, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; 42for I was hungry, and you didn't give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; 43I was a stranger, and you didn't take me in; naked, and you didn't clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn't visit me.'

44"Then they will also answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn't help you?'

45"Then he will answer them, saying, 'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you didn't do it to one of the least of these, you didn't do it to me.' 46These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Mattew 25

Thanks. This is what I was looking for.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by crackhouse(m): 3:39pm On Aug 12, 2012
Logic Mind:

ask around. this is me being very serious.
haba i thought u no longer exist. It's been long i saw ur comment here. Anyway u can get carried away by breeze now.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 12, 2012
manmade: tithing was never made compulsory by the Bible but the modern churches are imposing it on their members for their selffish reasons,this xplain why it was recorded in bible that jesus christ paid tithes to any church neither did he collects offerings frm his followers .

Pastoring like politicians should have their own trades to live on. Asking people for money is corrupting
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Goshen360(m): 3:46pm On Aug 12, 2012
Again, MOST of these tithe false teachers used or twist Hebrews 7:8 to mean Christ was the one that receive "OUR" tithe. This is a gross out of context twisted scripture. It is Melchizedek being "COMPARED" to the "PRIESTLY" order of Aaron and the writer used words of comparison such as, "Here men or In this case......" compared to "there he or in one case....in other case". Kindly read this from all of these translations:

New International Version (©1984)
In the one case, the tenth is collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living.

New Living Translation (©2007)
The priests who collect tithes are men who die, so Melchizedek is greater than they are, because we are told that he lives on.

English Standard Version (©2001)
In the one case tithes are received by mortal men, but in the other case, by one of whom it is testified that he lives.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
In this case mortal men receive tithes, but in that case one receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives on.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

International Standard Version (©2008)
Mortal men collect tithes, but we are informed by Scripture that Melchizedek keeps on living.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
And here the children of men who die receive tithes, but there, he about whom the Scriptures testify that he lives.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Priests receive a tenth of everything, but they die. Melchizedek received a tenth of everything, but we are told that he lives.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives.

American King James Version
And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives.

American Standard Version
And here men that die receive tithes; but there one, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And here indeed, men that die, receive thithes: but there he hath witness, that he liveth.

Darby Bible Translation
And here dying men receive tithes; but there one of whom the witness is that he lives;

English Revised Version
And here men that die receive tithes; but there one, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

Webster's Bible Translation
And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is testified that he liveth.

Weymouth New Testament
Moreover here frail mortal men receive tithes: there one receives them about whom there is evidence that he is alive.

World English Bible
Here people who die receive tithes, but there one receives tithes of whom it is testified that he lives.

Young's Literal Translation
and here, indeed, men who die do receive tithes, and there he, who is testified to that he was living,

Also, you can read Hebrews 7:8 from here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Heb.%207:8&version=KJ21
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Roseey0(f): 3:53pm On Aug 12, 2012
I dont knw abt you,bt i knw am no longer under any law,all i hav to do is to love God and my fellow man,as 4 tithing,it wil only come wen my spirit is willing,my evrbday offering in church pas one tenth of my earning..none of us wil mk heaven by kiping to any law,christ draws who he wants to draw.AND I KNW HE IS WITH ME,WHETHER I TITHE OR NOT.

2 Likes

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Lovine: 4:06pm On Aug 12, 2012
What did the creator of heaven and earth said about tithing? Read Malachi3:10. Did God said orphans and widows? For widows and orphans please read James 1:27, Is.1:17,In the old Testament there was something God call tithes of tithes in Deut. 26:12, this is done once in 3 years and it is different from regular tithes which goes directly to God. If you are a true child of God you must pay your tithes as God directed in Malachi3:10. If you don't you are a thief before the Godof heaven and earth no matter how you look at it you are a thief. Unbelievers don't know the value of tithing but true believers do because there are blessings that follows it, "I will open the windows of heaven and pour you blessings... and please see verse 11-12, and God will rebuke the devourer... Church goers you don't have business with tithing so stop deceiving yourselves and leave the business of tithing to true children of God. Fools thought that our tithes go to the Pastors, so that's why they find it difficult to give. How many of you are richer than our God and His servants? Unbelievers and church goers should repent.

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by 1k001(m): 4:09pm On Aug 12, 2012
Goshen360:

My brother. This is not about making a point. It is about "sound doctrine". Good point my sound good but doesn't necessarily mean sound teaching. teminoni is yet to ground his teachings in the NT. Like I said, the NT doesn't begin with Matthew to John, it began from Acts of Apostle to Revelation. Hebrews 9:16-17,

For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. Heb 9:15 KJV

And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. Heb. 12:24 KJV

The new testament as used in Hebrew 9 cannot be a reference to the book 'new testament' as we know it now. Paul refers to the new 'covenant' that Christians make with Jesus who has a right to mediate that new 'convenant' because of His atonement.

I reiterate that Christianity cannot be reduced to John - revelation, those books are by no means an exhaustive account of the doctrine of the gospel of Christ. Yes he fullfiled the law, but not every single thing that existed prior to His coming applied to the carnal law alone. An example is in Hebrews 7 where an old testament prophet is said to have a priesthood  'Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life'. The same prophet it turns out Abraham paid tithe to, coincidence?...
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by margyluvv(f): 4:30pm On Aug 12, 2012
i believe that all what we know as believers, we know in part. No one has the ultimate knowledge except God. True, many preachers and pastors have enriched themselves by using various dubious means to enrich themselves but they lack understanding. GOD DEMANDED THAT HIS PEOPLE PAY TITHES; ITS A DEMAND. Abraham paid tithes first in the Bible. God then demanded that tithes be paid because HE never took any of it but for the tribe of LEVI, who were priests to take care of themselves and of their families. They did not get any inheritance in the land that God gave the Israelites (Numbers 18: 24). God became their portion. Since they neither farmed or did no other trade apart from serving God, God asked that tithes be paid to that the Levites who had no inheritance in Israel will be taken care of. When the Israelites stopped paying, the Levites out of hunger, left their God given roles and took up farming, trading, etc till God spoke and told the Israelites to pay their tithes or they will be cursed. Tithes then was not based on money but you give 10% of what gives you income.

Today, since money is generally seen as an income cos most people work and money is paid at the month end, we are expected by God to pay 10% of our income to Him. In rural areas where people farm, tithes are usually paid in the form of foodstuffs, animals, etc. God does not eat it for He owns all things. His servants are the one who use what you pay. Whoever does not pay will be cursed and the Bible says no one who is cursed will get to heaven (Matt. 25: 41). Tithing ensures that no destroyer, physical or spiritual comes near you cos you have entered a covenant with God. God will rebuke the destroyer for your sake. It ensures financial prosperity. People misunderstand tithing and from responses, most people are biased about it. Your tithe is HOLY onto God. In Leviticus, it is paying 10% of your gross not net.

Paying it shows that you have made God the handler of your finances. You have made Him your Lord because you chose to obey His word. It is the principle of the heart and weighs where you have placed God in your priorities. Paying it before meeting any other expense shows that you love of God and that is the principle of the heart. You are ensuring divine protection, blessings, favour, etc as stated in Malachi 3: 8-12.

It is not for us to judge what men of God do or not with tithes, it is God who will judge them but it is mandatory that we tithe. Giving your tithes to beggars, widows, etc; you must make sure it is God who has directed you to do same cos He demands that the Levite eats it, not the helpless, widows, beggars, etc. Men of God are not to beg; we are the ones to care for them via our tithes and offerings but many overstress it on the altar. These days, we have them call people to bring offerings, tithes, vows, pledges, seeds, first fruits, etc. May God deliver us!!!

Let no one deceive you! Let the Holy Spirit instruct you and let God's peace back your decisions. It is the heart of obedience that God looks at as He stated in Isaiah 1: 19-20. Just be willing and obedient. God bless you all.

You can learn more on tithing by getting this book 'PATHWAY TO PROSPERITY AND ERADICATING POVERTY' BY PASTOR DAMIAN UZORUO OF DIVINE MAJESTY WORSHIP MINISTRY cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by inereunwa1(m): 4:37pm On Aug 12, 2012
Goshen360:

I have gone through the link in your signature. I didn't see the one that relates to this topic. Kindly point us to it or create the link and paste here. Thank you.
Goshen360 thanks for reminding me but i can past the link right now bcose im on a mobile fone so i'll just direct you go to the page you'll find Angelica Zambrano's testimonies there you will find two testimonies she gave just go to the second testimony you'll find it there>>>
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by nora544: 4:38pm On Aug 12, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoEwPACFyiw

when I see this i could not belive it.

Look at the video that you see what the pastors make with the money from the people, please learn from this it is so sad what happen in the name of God.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 12, 2012
We are all getting this whole faith confused with minutia that God does not really concern Himself with. So I will stick with this:

Luke 10:25-28

The Most Important Commandment

25 One day an expert in religious law stood up to test Jesus by asking him this question: “Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 Jesus replied, “What does the law of Moses say? How do you read it?”

27 The man answered, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” [a]

28 “Right!” Jesus told him. “Do this and you will live!”

Jesus never said "Do this and pay tithes". Organised christianity is mostly self serving. My observation and not passing judgement

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Anointing: Why Do Pastors Blow Into Microphones? Why Must People Fall? / Cardinal Onaiyekan Disowns Recent Interview Against President Buhari / Join Whatsapp Group Where Latest Gospel Music Is Shared

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.