Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,848 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

How Often Do You Google Yourself? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Often Do You Google Yourself? (8389 Views)

I will create a Website for you + Google Adsense Account / 9 Craziest Things That Happen When You Google. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Slyr0x: 4:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
They call it “ego surfing” – when you sit down in front of the computer, go to Google (or whatever search engine you prefer), and find out what information there is about you online. I do it quite often – not out of a sense of egotism – but out of a desire to control my online presence and to make sure that I am presented in the best possible light if anyone searches for me. Along the way, I’ve discovered that my name is shared by an Australian rugby player and a Scottish museum director, who regularly shove me out of the way in Google Alerts.

But there is another very good reason for “Googling” yourself – to find out if any private and sensitive information about yourself and / or your family has ended up online somehow. Maybe you accidently changed your Facebook privacy settings and your mobile phone number is now public? Or maybe a disgruntled former friend or colleague is bad mouthing you online? Both of these scenarios have happened to me in the past and speaking from those experiences, I can assure you that these are things you need to be aware about right away so you can do something about it. At the very least, too much information about you online can lead to a serious risk of your identity being stolen.

Our infographic today is on this very subject. After looking it over, let us know your thoughts on the subject, and then do yourself a favour this week.

Google yourself and make sure that people are not finding things out about yourself that shouldn’t be found out. Remember, what goes on the Internet stays on the Internet – for a very long time.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/infographic-google-challenge/

3 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Afam4eva(m): 4:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
Nice thread.

I remember when i got contacted by a politician who wanted to get rid of the negative publicity he was getting when he types his name into google search. I couldn't remove the article because i didn't own the website, so what i had to do was to create new websites and pages and i optimized it to puch the negatives to the second page. At least there, they'll be difficult to find.

3 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Lordave: 4:15pm On Aug 07, 2012
I'm googling maself ryt now.
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by olsmade(m): 4:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
Funny - used to do that a lot when I was younger but I don cool down now - don't think I've done it done it in d past year
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Slyr0x: 4:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
afam4eva: Nice thread.

I remember when i got contacted by a politician who wanted to get rid of the negative publicity he was getting when he types his name into google search. I couldn't remove the article because i didn't own the website, so what i had to do was to create new websites and pages and i optimized it to puch the negatives to the second page. At least there, they'll be difficult to find.

Hahaha. .Nice one. .

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by martyns303(m): 4:21pm On Aug 07, 2012
yoh!! thought am the only one doing this, not just my name but email id as well, most times NL is what comes up, and opera mini and there's this American music prof. thats stealing my name angry
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Slyr0x: 4:23pm On Aug 07, 2012
martyns303: yoh!! thought am the only one doing this, not just my name but email id as well, most times NL is what comes up, and opera mini and there's this American music prof. thats stealing my name angry

I search for my name, company name, all my email addies, phone numbers, my online monikers. .just to be sure I aint on any "Scam Alert" list cheesy
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Nexxy007: 4:31pm On Aug 07, 2012
Good God! I jst searchd my name. Cnt blv all d social ntwrks av registad wt ar so much! C hw d full pages. . . . . .
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by a1solution: 4:32pm On Aug 07, 2012
The best thing is to be very careful whenever you are online. Never pass out sensitive information about yourself, if you must do, do it anonymously. (ur number, name, e-mail should be private online when online) try to have business number and e-mail separatly if you are into online biz.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by jhydebaba(m): 4:33pm On Aug 07, 2012
Nice Information. I google myself always to check how much other people know about me. I learnt to do this since I googled my friend's name, to my utmost surprise, I found his phone number and home address.
Google can be funny. #GoogleAmebo

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Emmyk(m): 4:37pm On Aug 07, 2012
i use to do it quite often like 4 to 5years back, use to be over-excited.
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by dani1luv: 4:37pm On Aug 07, 2012
I googled my name and saw this amongst shocked shocked shocked

An Enfield man has been charged with the murder of a Hackney man shot dead in central London on New Year's Day.
shocked shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by philip7: 4:37pm On Aug 07, 2012
Be careful with filling online forms, all your info/bio-data will be made available for the world including fraudsters to view
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Joeblis(m): 4:38pm On Aug 07, 2012
Lol nice thread...after searching my full name i saw one name that looked like my own as an ex-convict kai! I shock oo thank God say the ex-convict suname get some diffrence 4rm my own if not i 4 do change of name.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 07, 2012
googled my name and i was glad about all what i saw....#wink
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Chaydee(m): 4:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
#Google_Is_Watching_You grin grin
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by philip7: 4:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
jhydebaba: Nice Information. I google myself always to check how much other people know about me. I learnt to do this since I googled my friend's name, to my utmost surprise, I found his phone number and home address.
Google can be funny. #GoogleAmebo
you see shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by superior1: 4:40pm On Aug 07, 2012
philip7: Be careful with filling online forms, all your info/bio-data will be made available for the world including fraudsters to view

Very true. It happened to me. My name on Unilag Masters admission list still dey on google
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Captain2012(m): 4:41pm On Aug 07, 2012
I'm on red alert so I do that alot. I always make sure none of my info is online.
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
I always do it once a week especially with my business name as to find out if there is any negative comment about me so that I can correct it instantly. But so far so good there has been none and their won't be cause I know my stuff.
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by ebamma(m): 4:43pm On Aug 07, 2012
i googled the word clueless and the search result showed president goodluck jonathan

4 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by acidtalk: 4:47pm On Aug 07, 2012
Hmmm!!!
If I too google myself, Nigeria might just be at a standstill one day because my name sends fears down the spin of some people.

Okay really...googling myself only brings out what the inferior and haters think about me.
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 07, 2012
Since forever! But before I turned 18, no result but after my 18th birthday, all my facebook posts, my google plus posts, my blogger posts, my yahoo answers, everything. Even my account with gaydemon that I opened eons ago. Lol.
And I found out I share my name with a Javanese fertility preacher. (whatever the hell that means.), and that I may be Canadian (a record from 1759, on a canadian ancestry website. Wow!)
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by DExplorer1: 4:48pm On Aug 07, 2012
It's a pretty good idea. I think all the negatives (scam, impersonation etc) can be eluded if certain things are done. One could maintain a single and unique username on all Social Network and online dealings. Infact, that helps in ego boosting. You just search for your username and everything appears. If you write articles and whotnot, its all gonna pop up. You can even give out the link, feeling like a celeb.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by DExplorer1: 4:52pm On Aug 07, 2012
ebamma: i googled the word clueless and the search result showed president goodluck jonathan
Why derail an innocent thread?

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by ajf(m): 4:57pm On Aug 07, 2012
Every time I try na my facebook and twitter info e dey show (-_-), and Niyi osundare we only share †ђξ same first name lol...
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by emsquare(m): 5:12pm On Aug 07, 2012
I do this often! 6,000+ results waoh!
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by emsquare(m): 5:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
I do it often! 6'000+ Results. Waoh!
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by cindyrella(f): 5:26pm On Aug 07, 2012
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Bluemoon1(f): 5:33pm On Aug 07, 2012
i do it quite often...the only thing i got abt myself is my school result..they put up my photo but there's nothing i can do abt that one. i try to be careful...you don't kno what your photo might be used for.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
I google myself everyday. I also have a Google Alert for my name, which gives me alert anytime a new content with my name has found its way to the net. Main purpose is to check whether my article has been published somewhere. Sometimes to search for an article I wrote in the past.
Re: How Often Do You Google Yourself? by OPEYEMIAD(m): 5:41pm On Aug 07, 2012
Av been waiting for this thread quite a long... I use to google my self several time without number..what anoy me most when google my self is for mt see my phone number, email and d bad coment i post on one forum it make me scared and av try my posible best to delete d post but not work. U can imagine if d L.G.A chairman am talking to see my number my own don finish be dat. Please how can i delete or edit dat. The website is election monitor

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Post All Your Web Development Issues Here (php, Sql, Html, Javascript, Css) / Which Is Preferable; Whogohost Or Web4africa? / How To Setup A Custom Domain Name For Your Blogger Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.