Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,479 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session (30034 Views)

Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K / Traveling To Ireland Dublin For Studies / I'm Planning To Travel To Malaysia For Studies, Please I Need Your Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 1:42am On Sep 12, 2012
Donxavier: So I got into the UK today hassle free. I have heard countless stories of how scrutiny at Heathrow is really tight and all that. I was pretty surprised when the border officer just asked for my passport, asked if I was a first time student, gave me a first time student form to fill and stamped me in.As simple as that. Even my cousin that came for me was pretty surprised that I was done pretty quickly. No questions were asked me, he didn't even ask for my admission letter or CAS statement.

I love the UK I must say and that's how Nigeria should be hadn't it been that we are cursed with bad leadership. Anyway, will spend the next few days adjusting and shopping before I find my way to Aberdeen by weekend.

For the contract blackberry I intend to get, Can I use my cousin's address or must I use my own address when I secure my accommodation? Will I have to prove that I live there...someone please help me out? what are the requirements for getting a contract phone?

Cheers.

Yay you! Thank God for journey mercies.

Re contract phone, I think requirements are : Proof of address, Id card, and a bank account for debiting monthly charges. This most likely means you'll need to get to school first cos of Id card and by extension, maybe your accomodation. If u get Id card really early and can't wait, u could use your cousin's addy but that's just gonna mean you'll change it when you get ur place else mails may be forwarded there.

There may be an easier way tho
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 1:42am On Sep 12, 2012
okolodaniel:

Thank God for journey mercies o!

What address did u fill as your contact address on your landing card as you've not booked an accommodation yet?

Did u put your cousin's address?

Regards.

No. I put my school address. But the man didn't even check....
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 1:52am On Sep 12, 2012
Atlantis85:

Yay you! Thank God for journey mercies.

Re contract phone, I think requirements are : Proof of address, Id card, and a bank account for debiting monthly charges. This most likely means you'll need to get to school first cos of Id card and by extension, maybe your accomodation. If u get Id card really early and can't wait, u could use your cousin's addy but that's just gonna mean you'll change it when you get ur place else mails may be forwarded there.

There may be an easier way tho

Thanks, so it may make sense to start out with the pay as you go, then as one gets established and settled over the course of some months then settle for the contract package. That was what someone told me but I couldn't see the sense in it but with your explanation that seems to make sense for new comers.

it seems to me that it will take some time to develop the network contacts necessary to take full advantage of the contract packages. why have 600 minutes to call only UK numbers when for the first few months I might not have sufficient contacts to call as a JJC. Anyway just my thoughts, suggestions are needed.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 2:39am On Sep 12, 2012
[/quote]
Donxavier:

Thanks, so it may make sense to start out with the pay as you go, then as one gets established and settled over the course of some months then settle for the contract package. That was what someone told me but I couldn't see the sense in it but with your explanation that seems to make sense for new comers.

it seems to me that it will take some time to develop the network contacts necessary to take full advantage of the contract packages. why have 600 minutes to call only UK numbers when for the first few months I might not have sufficient contacts to call as a JJC. Anyway just my thoughts, suggestions are needed.

Yea, you're right. But are d prices different?

May I suggest you also check out sim-only contracts. They are flexible (you can get one month contract), cheaper and you won't have to get a new phone just yet, atleast till you're well settled, have your own place and have worked out budget, expenses and all that. Of cos, I am assuming you travelled with your bb. Also, while there are no networks as crazy as mtn and its brodas here in nig, some networks are better than others, so gettng a sim-only would ensure you piÇk the best before taking a long-term phone contract. And yea, you'll get lesser minutes.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by ogheneyoma: 5:07am On Sep 12, 2012
Hello friends anyone travellin on d 13th? Via BA to heathrow?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by kingspaco: 7:43am On Sep 12, 2012
ogheneyoma: Hello friends anyone travellin on d 13th? Via BA to heathrow?

Yes oo am travellin on d 13th via BA to heathrow first then to newcastle. Heading to northumbria university wch hv not seen anyone on dis forum going there ever since I started following dis grp.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by ogheneyoma: 8:55am On Sep 12, 2012
kingspaco:

Yes oo am travellin on d 13th via BA to heathrow first then to newcastle. Heading to northumbria university wch hv not seen anyone on dis forum going there ever since I started following dis grp.
hmmn, dats nice...i am also heading to leeds from there..university of leeds.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by kingspaco: 9:06am On Sep 12, 2012
[quote author=ogheneyoma]
hmmn, dats nice...i am also heading to leeds from there..university of leeds.[/quote

If u are taking off frm lagos,pls can u send me a mail on dis kingsleysq@gmail.com so we can meet at d airport
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by deevuu(m): 9:37am On Sep 12, 2012
Sup peeps...i would be travlin to Middlesex Uni...North London on the 20th...and please someone told me il need to get a yellow card...please how true is this?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by deevuu(m): 10:01am On Sep 12, 2012
Also wld anyone be in Hendon...north london...cuz im desperately looking for accom...preferdly in a shared flat cuz thts cheaper sha! and also ive tried searching online but most of them want deposit and rent and i cnt send that till i get there ooo!
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 12, 2012
@Don
I'm using pay as you go with BBM services for now as well

I dont have enough contacts to use all those minutes on contract lines

Though I've been searching for sim only contracts as well - they are good options
Tmobile has some really good ones

By the way have you checked the career fair website recently

@deevuu
where do you hear these things from? - always clarify from ukba website nigeria.
@atlantis
how many more days do you have?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 5:56pm On Sep 12, 2012
salsera:
@atlantis
how many more days do you have?

I've got 12 days more though I wrote '22nd september' as 'Date you wish to travel' 'cause school resumes 24th. Hoping that will be in my favour
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by chukyrooy(m): 8:12pm On Sep 12, 2012
Atlantis85:

I've got 12 days more though I wrote '22nd september' as 'Date you wish to travel' 'cause school resumes 24th. Hoping that will be in my favour

School resumes on 24th but lectures don't start till Oct. I thought u asked for an extension?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 10:11pm On Sep 12, 2012
chukyrooy:

School resumes on 24th but lectures don't start till Oct. I thought u asked for an extension?

I did but I got a reply saying I don't need an extension cos ukba is aware students will come in late plus lectures actually start 1st of october.

Are you in uk now? You done your provisional registration? What about timetable, have you seen it?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Dharkchild: 10:38pm On Sep 12, 2012
Hi guys, I arrived Sheffield today. it was a very smooth flight. Lagos to Schiphol (Amsterdam) to Manchester then a bus a school arranged coach picked me up from Manchester to Sheffield. I called my Landlord and met him at the apartment. it was cooler than expected, thank God i booked arranged. The people are really nice if you are a friendly person yourself.

Immigration: Just collected my landing card, asked for school and course, thats all. they didnt even ask for any document

Weather: its was 12 degrees today, too cold for me, tho people are saying its not yet cold. I hope to acclamatise soon sha.

i was also favored, i met some salford babes (Nigerians) at Manchester airport who gave me a Lebara sim card with 5pounds credit free, they said they just wanted to welcome me.

In all, its been good so far. Thanks to all, and Justwise you've been of tremendous help God bless you.

@Don, congrats on ur safe landing

1 Like

Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by chukyrooy(m): 10:56pm On Sep 12, 2012
Atlantis85:

I did but I got a reply saying I don't need an extension cos ukba is aware students will come in late plus lectures actually start 1st of october.

Are you in uk now? You done your provisional registration? What about timetable, have you seen it?

Ok then...I would be travelling from PH via Air France on d 18th in order to meet up with the Orientation week, I've downloaded the timetable, even prospectus. I'm almost through wif my registeration just my passport for my student Id dts pending, I've been given my brunel student Email.

How are your preparations coming?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by justwise(m): 11:02pm On Sep 12, 2012
Dharkchild: Hi guys, I arrived Sheffield today. it was a very smooth flight. Lagos to Schiphol (Amsterdam) to Manchester then a bus a school arranged coach picked me up from Manchester to Sheffield. I called my Landlord and met him at the apartment. it was cooler than expected, thank God i booked arranged. The people are really nice if you are a friendly person yourself.

Immigration: Just collected my landing card, asked for school and course, thats all. they didnt even ask for any document

Weather: its was 12 degrees today, too cold for me, tho people are saying its not yet cold. I hope to acclamatise soon sha.

i was also favored, i met some salford babes (Nigerians) at Manchester airport who gave me a Lebara sim card with 5pounds credit free, they said they just wanted to welcome me.

In all, its been good so far. Thanks to all, and Justwise you've been of tremendous help God bless you.

Good to know that your journey was a smooth one. Take your time and settle.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by chukyrooy(m): 11:04pm On Sep 12, 2012
@Dharkchild

Hope your a Manchester United fan for you to be in Manchester. LoL

Anytime I come to watch my boys play imma holla @ u.

Hope you do ve a wonderful time
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Moyola(f): 11:16pm On Sep 12, 2012
cool
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Atlantis85(f): 11:18pm On Sep 12, 2012
chukyrooy:

Ok then...I would be travelling from PH via Air France on d 18th in order to meet up with the Orientation week, I've downloaded the timetable, even prospectus. I'm almost through wif my registeration just my passport for my student Id dts pending, I've been given my brunel student Email.

How are your preparations coming?

Hol'up a bit. How come I haven't been able to print my timetable too? You did it via Blackboard abi? Been checking that thing, says I'm not enrolled for courses yet.

I'm through with the provisional registration. That is, as far as I can get without my visa yet. Printed it out too. I've uploaded passport and gotten sch email. That's the one that's got 2 alphabets,followed by 2 numbers then your initials?

Please explain how you were able to get your timetable.
I'll scan my visa once I get it before leaving so I won't have to queue or anything.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by ikcbn(m): 11:26pm On Sep 12, 2012
Dharkchild: Hi guys, I arrived Sheffield today. it was a very smooth flight. Lagos to Schiphol (Amsterdam) to Manchester then a bus a school arranged coach picked me up from Manchester to Sheffield. I called my Landlord and met him at the apartment. it was cooler than expected, thank God i booked arranged. The people are really nice if you are a friendly person yourself.

Congrats bro
Abeg try clear d̶̲̥̅̊ town 4 us cos we will definitely join U̶̲̥̅̊ soonest. Amma hola @ U̶̲̥̅̊ wen i decide on wen A̶̲̥̅♏ coming ova. Stay cool bro

Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by ikcbn(m): 11:29pm On Sep 12, 2012

Congrats bro
Abeg try clear d̶̲̥̅̊ town 4 us cos we will definitely join U̶̲̥̅̊ soonest. Amma hola @ U̶̲̥̅̊ wen i decide on wen A̶̲̥̅♏ coming ova. Stay cool bro
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by chukyrooy(m): 12:50am On Sep 13, 2012
Atlantis85:

Hol'up a bit. How come I haven't been able to print my timetable too? You did it via Blackboard abi? Been checking that thing, says I'm not enrolled for courses yet.

I'm through with the provisional registration. That is, as far as I can get without my visa yet. Printed it out too. I've uploaded passport and gotten sch email. That's the one that's got 2 alphabets,followed by 2 numbers then your initials?

Please explain how you were able to get your timetable.
I'll scan my visa once I get it before leaving so I won't have to queue or anything.

Ma bad the timetable I have is for freshers. But u can get your course timetable thru Blackboard, but u have to be thru with the E-vision task 1st.

We can always get the timetable when we get there.

Pls shed a little light on hw u secured your accom. Cuz I've nt sercured mine yet.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 2:08am On Sep 13, 2012
salsera: @Don
I'm using pay as you go with BBM services for now as well

I dont have enough contacts to use all those minutes on contract lines

Though I've been searching for sim only contracts as well - they are good options
Tmobile has some really good ones

By the way have you checked the career fair website recently

Nope, i havent checked any career fair website lately, been enjoying shopping around in London. Hey, london is too damn expensive, everything is £10 top up grin grin grin
I had to quickly get an oyster card cos what i was paying just for transportation alone was outrageous for short distances I was freaking out grin grin grin
Infact if you consider the Naija equivalent when buying things una go just give una self hypertension shocked. Wonderful experience so far but am already feeling homesick cry almost like I should return home. The lady who helped me around one very young girl from Afghanisthan said it's just a day that i'il get use to it.

You know when you are so used to disorder(am speaking of Lagos life), when you get to an orderly place to adjust is a little bit difficult. I wished there was okada yesterday as i had to wait for the bus and sometimes had to wait for 30mins or more. These oyinbo people sef funny, no public show of concern to anyone Na OYO you dey lol grin Dem no get family ties or brotherly atmosphere like for naija.

I got the network 3 blackberry pay as you go plan pretty cheap and id use it till i settle down for a contract. For naija calls, i had to settle for lebera, i so much searched for the icardmobile i couldnt get but even 3 has some special codes you could call nigeria with that is just 1pence more expensive than Lebera. 8p per min for lebera,9p per min with 3 for Naija mobiles using the 3 special codes.

Salsera send me an email.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 2:24am On Sep 13, 2012

Thanks dude, safe landing too. Very smooth passage you had. The next phase for the fulfilling of our dreams has started and God will be with us all.
You ve seen my mail?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by penfold(m): 3:56am On Sep 13, 2012

Congrats !
Sheffield cold ??
Wow,thats kinda scary o,I shld be in london by monday,there are some family obligations I have to fulfil before coming to Sheffield so I should be in sheffield by Thursday/Friday,which area is ur accomodation,is it furnished,with internet and bills...also is it worth it coming to sheffield with a car (as par distances) or does it make more sense to depend on the public transportation?

@futuredon...where are you naaa?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by FutureDon(m): 6:01am On Sep 13, 2012
Dharkchild, good to know you arrived Sheffield safely, have a great time acclimatizing grin Please I might contact you when I arrive, who knows, your landlord might still have some places up for grab in Sheffield.

Penfold, bro I just dey oo. I've been pretty busy trying to get everything in order. I'm leaving today. Any luck with securing an accommodation yet?.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by johnwisdom10(m): 6:58am On Sep 13, 2012
please justwise can u advice me on how to get my N.I number before leaving nigeria.....
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Dharkchild: 7:29am On Sep 13, 2012
Donxavier:

Nope, i havent checked any career fair website lately, been enjoying shopping around in London. Hey, london is too damn expensive, everything is £10 top up grin grin grin
I had to quickly get an oyster card cos what i was paying just for transportation alone was outrageous for short distances I was freaking out grin grin grin
Infact if you consider the Naija equivalent when buying things una go just give una self hypertension shocked. Wonderful experience so far but am already feeling homesick cry almost like I should return home. The lady who helped me around one very young girl from Afghanisthan said it's just a day that i'il get use to it.

You know when you are so used to disorder(am speaking of Lagos life), when you get to an orderly place to adjust is a little bit difficult. I wished there was okada yesterday as i had to wait for the bus and sometimes had to wait for 30mins or more. These oyinbo people sef funny, no public show of concern to anyone Na OYO you dey lol grin Dem no get family ties or brotherly atmosphere like for naija.

I got the network 3 blackberry pay as you go plan pretty cheap and id use it till i settle down for a contract. For naija calls, i had to settle for lebera, i so much searched for the icardmobile i couldnt get but even 3 has some special codes you could call nigeria with that is just 1pence more expensive than Lebera. 8p per min for lebera,9p per min with 3 for Naija mobiles using the 3 special codes.

Salsera send me an email.

At least i am sure i would miss the above till i settle down and 'm able to find my way around.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 13, 2012
@Donx
Hey - that Okada line was hilarious!!!
I said the excat same thing years ago

London transport is expensive but u get used to the order
Scotland is much cheaper but like most things in the Uk advance payments are cheaper for transport and by the time u get ur student I'd u r entitled to student discounts

3 network cheap pay as u go? Will. Check it out
I'm on tmobile cos I got one of those deals with 6months internet
When I was on holiday early this year.

@johnwisdom10
You can noT get it or apply before you leave 9ja.
SMH
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 13, 2012
Anyone going to uni of Hull?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Darksea: 6:39pm On Sep 13, 2012
tbaba98: De montfort uni leicester MSc International business and management visa granted
Same here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

Flash Floods In Abeokuta After Heavy Rainfall (Pictures) / Fatal Accident On Lekki-Epe Express In Lagos (Photos) / Father & Son Die In Accident In Nasarawa On Their Way To Daughter's Wedding (Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.