Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,072 members, 7,807,210 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session (30032 Views)

Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K / Traveling To Ireland Dublin For Studies / I'm Planning To Travel To Malaysia For Studies, Please I Need Your Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by justwise(m): 6:02pm On Sep 01, 2012
Donxavier:

gringringringringringrin

Ok, at least calling rates. What is the cheapest line or network. And how best is it to call Nigeria from the uk. I heard it's better to call landlines and all that. Don't really know
You can buy international calling cards or sim card, they cost £5, yes calling landline is cheaper.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by kunlewoye(m): 2:02am On Sep 02, 2012
err...anyone going on the 7th using Iberia/British Airways?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by penfold(m): 6:42am On Sep 02, 2012
kunlewoye: err...anyone going on the 7th using Iberia/British Airways?
If I'm not mistaken,its like u're planning to fly Iberia to Madrid,then BA to heathrow!!
My brother,am sure u saw that combo on wakanow,my sincere advice to u is that u should call wakanow before u book o,even they will advice you not to combine airlines.If u're attracted by their low fare,then just do Iberia/Iberia,If your connection is on d same airline,then its much better cuz of delays,luggage issues and convenience.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by tadeola1: 7:54am On Sep 02, 2012
Canfield offshore and ocean technology.anybody here going to Canfield? I intend traveling on the 25th haven't yet made up my mind on the airline to fly.lets connect Canfield peeps
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by AZeD1(m): 1:03pm On Sep 02, 2012
Donxavier:

Thanks very much. More questions

How much will phone bills eat into my budget?. I have a gfgrin I call every now and then. All these special friends calling that glo and mtn offer has made us talk every often.
How can I continue that from the uk? What network is the cheapest for international calls. How much can I budget if I intend to call like 4 times in a week for some minutes.
Get a lebara or lyca sim for calling Nigeria. If you are working on a budget, dont get a contract line till you are settled. A 5 pound lebara top up should last you for a week.. but my advice, chat more(YM, WhatsApp, BBM, Skype).
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by kunlewoye(m): 5:15pm On Sep 02, 2012
penfold:
If I'm not mistaken,its like u're planning to fly Iberia to Madrid,then BA to heathrow!!
My brother,am sure u saw that combo on wakanow,my sincere advice to u is that u should call wakanow before u book o,even they will advice you not to combine airlines.If u're attracted by their low fare,then just do Iberia/Iberia,If your connection is on d same airline,then its much better cuz of delays,luggage issues and convenience.
Thanks mate, but Iberia and BA are owned by IAG and they have this merger thingy going on. No, I booked it on the BA website and it said, at the time, that I would fly Iberia to Madrid, then BA to Heathrow. I'm sure there's no problem
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 02, 2012
A-ZeD:

Get a lebara or lyca sim for calling Nigeria. If you are working on a budget, dont get a contract line till you are settled. A 5 pound lebara top up should last you for a week.. but my advice, chat more(YM, WhatsApp, BBM, Skype).

I heard Icard is the cheapest, How true? What are using skype to call mtn or glo. Does that make sense?

@Justwise

What of health checks, is it necessary to do tuberculosis check or xrays so they don't hassle one at heathrow?
Also, can you recommend a site for short term accommodation(like for just 2 weeks) in aberdeen. Been coming up empty with my searches.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by justwise(m): 7:00pm On Sep 02, 2012
Donxavier:

I heard Icard is the cheapest, How true? What are using skype to call mtn or glo. Does that make sense?

@Justwise

What of health checks, is it necessary to do tuberculosis check or xrays so they don't hassle one at heathrow?
Also, can you recommend a site for short term accommodation(like for just 2 weeks) in aberdeen. Been coming up empty with my searches.

If there is a need for any health check it will be done at the airport there free and they will send you the result a week later in your address, so don't worry about that.

Search for B&B in Aberdeen, or try this link, it will show you hotels close to your uni http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocalMaps-g186487-d1203453-University_of_Aberdeen_Hillhead-Area.html
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by AZeD1(m): 3:15pm On Sep 03, 2012
Donxavier:

@Justwise

If the person you are calling in Nigeria has internet connection, use skype..
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by pharuk: 4:49pm On Sep 03, 2012
Pleased to see lots of sheffield Hallam University.

I can guarantee you the best experience, lots of Nigerians so u will never feel alone,

Look out for RCCG church called victory assembly on 99 John st opp sheffield staduim

Surprised i`ve not seen any Nottingham University or Trent!!

All the best
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by FutureDon(m): 1:54pm On Sep 04, 2012
pharuk: Pleased to see lots of sheffield Hallam University.

I can guarantee you the best experience, lots of Nigerians so u will never feel alone,

Look out for RCCG church called victory assembly on 99 John st opp sheffield staduim

Surprised i`ve not seen any Nottingham University or Trent!!

All the best

Hello bro, do you attend Hallam pls?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by pharuk: 6:26pm On Sep 04, 2012
Yeah, I did go to Sheffield Hallam in 2008.
Great school and beautiful town.
Been there ever since till 2 months ago
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by FutureDon(m): 12:59pm On Sep 05, 2012
pharuk: Yeah, I did go to Sheffield Hallam in 2008.
Great school and beautiful town.
Been there ever since till 2 months ago

Oh ok bro, I was only going to ask about how easy it is to secure a good accommodation around Collegiate Campus.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Spyker: 5:51pm On Sep 05, 2012
t.adeola:
Canfield offshore and ocean technology.anybody here going to Canfield? I intend traveling on the 25th haven't yet made up my mind on the airline to fly.lets connect Canfield peeps

Do you mean Cranfield University? I am yet to get my visa and i plan to travel on the 27th, hopefully visa will be out this week
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Kayor500(f): 1:46am On Sep 06, 2012
@Spyker, pls am new on dis thread. I just you to help me with ds questn. Is ur admission into cranfield by scholarship or odawise? Tanks 4 ur reply
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by jantil: 8:43am On Sep 06, 2012
Pls I nid info on wht I shuld be expecting @ Point of Entry into Uk such as likely questions, n required documents.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by pharuk: 10:27am On Sep 06, 2012
FutureDon:

Oh ok bro, I was only going to ask about how easy it is to secure a good accommodation around Collegiate Campus.

There are 2 ways to get accommodation and pretty sure it applies to any uni in UK
1. School accommodation:
Pros
• you are guaranteed a place when you come, some uni arrange a pick up bus from the train/airport
• you can make friends a lot quicker
• normally close to uni so u save on transport
• As a novice it could be a good idea to settle in the town and make more uni friends
• Normally bills included, so u can leave your heating on all day
Cons
• Too Expensive (normally 3-6 month advance)
• Possibility that the size of the room is the same as your toilet in naija (too small)
• Very noisy, loud and if u are not that inclined, u may struggle
• Normally shared kitchen, believe me,, some people are animals
• There is a possibility of having a gothic neighbour that plays loud indi/electro/gothic squeamish music
• On a rare occasion, got friends who were shunned because they were black

2. Private Accommodation
Pros
• Normally cheap
• You can pair up with fellow naija or friends to rent a house
• More privacy to yourself
• You can have house party as you like
• You can have friends come over and sleep (depending on your house mates)
• You kind of get responsible when u know u are paying for your bills
• You get a bigger room
• Normally monthly payment so enough money in your pocket
• Most have free parking or street parking
Cons
• You will be gutted when u see your friends that have bills inclusive and use electricity to the maximum
• Rooms are normally cold during winter, they don’t seem to be properly insulated or have double glazing
• Shared bill could be annoying, if you have someone that constantly uses more gas and electricity than you
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by pharuk: 10:28am On Sep 06, 2012
jantil: Pls I nid info on wht I shuld be expecting @ Point of Entry into Uk such as likely questions, n required documents.
welcome message from the queen, then show you the tax office, u misbehave they show you return flight
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by justwise(m): 10:35am On Sep 06, 2012
pharuk:

There are 2 ways to get accommodation and pretty sure it applies to any uni in UK
1. School accommodation:
Pros
• you are guaranteed a place when you come, some uni arrange a pick up bus from the train/airport
• you can make friends a lot quicker
• normally close to uni so u save on transport
• As a novice it could be a good idea to settle in the town and make more uni friends
• Normally bills included, so u can leave your heating on all day
Cons
• Too Expensive (normally 3-6 month advance)
• Possibility that the size of the room is the same as your toilet in naija (too small)
• Very noisy, loud and if u are not that inclined, u may struggle
• Normally shared kitchen, believe me,, some people are animals
• There is a possibility of having a gothic neighbour that plays loud indi/electro/gothic squeamish music
• On a rare occasion, got friends who were shunned because they were black

2. Private Accommodation
Pros
• Normally cheap
• You can pair up with fellow naija or friends to rent a house
• More privacy to yourself
• You can have house party as you like
• You can have friends come over and sleep (depending on your house mates)
• You kind of get responsible when u know u are paying for your bills
• You get a bigger room
• Normally monthly payment so enough money in your pocket
• Most have free parking or street parking
Cons
You will be gutted when u see your friends that have bills inclusive and use electricity to the maximum
• Rooms are normally cold during winter, they don’t seem to be properly insulated or have double glazing
• Shared bill could be annoying, if you have someone that constantly uses more gas and electricity than you

Many private accommodations are bills included and you can leave your heater on for ages if you want.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by pharuk: 10:38am On Sep 06, 2012
ikcbn: plz guyz,
which area wud b best 4 accomodation 4 sum1 attending The university of sheefield n wud b @ a walkable distance?

Sheffield uni and sheffield hallam are in the same house.

For best advice i will suggest you take a temporal accomodation arranged by the universtity, I think u pay daily.

then u can view houses when you arrive, you can also make friends and pair up.

So as soon as you reach sheffield train station, look out for people, there are normally many people from churches, school union etc that will help u to your destination.

make friend and start collecting numbers.

meanwhile google these 2 for accomodation:

http://www.gumtree.com/search?q=&search_location=Sheffield&category=flats-and-houses-for-rent&property_type=&seller_type=&min_beds=&max_beds=&min_price=&max_price=

and

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=90
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by pharuk: 10:45am On Sep 06, 2012
justwise:

Many private accommodations are bills included and you can leave your heater on for ages if you want.

True, not sure if that applies in sheffield, I have lived there for more than 4 yrs now

there is also a distinction between renting an apartment and a normal house (victorian building)
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by justwise(m): 10:50am On Sep 06, 2012
pharuk:

True, not sure if that applies in sheffield, I have lived there for more than 4 yrs now

there is also a distinction between renting an apartment and a normal house (victorian building)

It apply to every part of the UK, bills included rent makes money for landlords in summer and they can regulate the gas meter in winter as well in a way that student will not waste the gas.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by pharuk: 11:30am On Sep 06, 2012
justwise:

It apply to every part of the UK, bills included rent makes money for landlords in summer and they can regulate the gas meter in winter as well in a way that student will not waste the gas.

Again, this does not apply everywhere, not all landlord with victorian building houses do bills inclusive, am tempted to say 90% but am so sure its no longer in fashion. IN SHEFFIELD

student hike up bills in winter and move out in summer leaving there bond to school accomodation which is stupidily cheap because they dont want empty rooms. . Landlords are left worse off..

am done with this.. all the best for bills inclusive victorian houses in sheffield.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by justwise(m): 11:56am On Sep 06, 2012
pharuk:

Again, this does not apply everywhere, not all landlord with victorian building houses do bills inclusive, am tempted to say 90% but am so sure its no longer in fashion. IN SHEFFIELD

student hike up bills in winter and move out in summer leaving there bond to school accomodation which is stupidily cheap because they dont want empty rooms. . Landlords are left worse off..

am done with this.. all the best for bills inclusive victorian houses in sheffield.

Sorry i have to disagree with you, whether you are renting Victoria building or detached building... bills inclusive normally apply, Sheffield is not different from every other cities in South Yorkshire, landlords reset the meter in winter in such a way that heater and hot water usage can not go above the normal level AND they lock gas penal so that you can't reset it.

Rent only deal is a prob for landlords as students tend to move out without paying outstanding utility bills, i have suffered this, if you don't call the gas/water/electricity suppliers to change the occupancy details the moment you moved in, you end up picking up the mess from the previous occupant.

Yes some students pretend to be going on holiday in summer so as to get half-rent deal from the landlord.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 06, 2012
Hmm
This private accomodation business is giving me issues

Q1
Are the agents to charge me fees?
Which one be credit check, reference check and admin fee?

By the way NI took approx 2weeks
I called them on the 24th - received forms on 30th,sent it onn 31st and got response on the 6th.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by justwise(m): 3:41pm On Sep 06, 2012
salsera: Hmm
This private accomodation business is giving me issues

Q1
Are the agents to charge me fees?
Which one be credit check, reference check and admin fee?

By the way NI took approx 2weeks
I called them on the 24th - received forms on 30th,sent it onn 31st and got response on the 6th.

Agent will definitely charge you, but you don't need them, use gumtree or roomates to look for accommodation then make contact with the landlord and go and view it before paying anything.

Paying agency fees is just waste of money.

The duration of NI depends on the city council, some are pretty fast while some drag it to about 3-4wks.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by FutureDon(m): 4:07pm On Sep 06, 2012
@Pharuk

Thanks a lot for that info bro, I really appreciate it. Honestly, I'm not even considering School accommodation.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Dharkchild: 4:20pm On Sep 06, 2012
pls whats the NI all about, its relevance and all.... explanation or a link to where i can get info would be of gr8 help. Thanks in advance
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by tadeola1: 4:28pm On Sep 06, 2012
Spyker:

Do you mean Cranfield University? I am yet to get my visa and i plan to travel on the 27th, hopefully visa will be out this week
Spyker:

Yeah Cranfield University.Why do u intend travelling on the 27th when registration is on the 28th.Did you get school accommodation?
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 06, 2012
@Dharkchild
Its national insurance number
You need to give it to your employer so that your salary can be deducted for tax etc

You need it to work
Don't know any links unless you google, and I'm using my mobile now

My school sent me the document on it which had their number and address
The phone call is about 50p per minute though and you'll need an address for them to post the forms

@justwise
You're a lifesaver will try gumtree. Was flathunting physically today and agents fees almost spoil my mood. All my internet runs on rightmove and findaproperty and even agents sites no talk about any fees oh.
Rubbish - one even charge 450pounds for flat of 595pounds!!
Tempted to do facemeifaceyou (aka flatshare) Kai - no like dat thing ehn. Orisirisi co-tenant
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by justwise(m): 5:00pm On Sep 06, 2012
salsera: @Dharkchild
Its national insurance number
You need to give it to your employer so that your salary can be deducted for tax etc

You need it to work
Don't know any links unless you google, and I'm using my mobile now

My school sent me the document on it which had their number and address
The phone call is about 50p per minute though and you'll need an address for them to post the forms

@justwise
You're a lifesaver will try gumtree. Was flathunting physically today and agents fees almost spoil my mood. All my internet runs on rightmove and findaproperty and even agents sites no talk about any fees oh.
Rubbish - one even charge 450pounds for flat of 595pounds!!
Tempted to do facemeifaceyou (aka flatshare) Kai - no like dat thing ehn. Orisirisi co-tenant

Please before i forget....gumtree is double edged sword, its very good and free and its also a hotbed for scammers, many of them are 'Nigerians' and Eastern 'Europeans'. Their room adverts always look posh, too good to be true offer and want you to pay through western union, so keep your eyes open in all the deals, roomates are a bit safer but you are not allowed to contact the landlord privately, only through the website.
Re: Those Going To The Uk For Studies Sept.2012/2013 Session by Nobody: 6:19pm On Sep 06, 2012
justwise: [/b]

Please before i forget....gumtree is double edged sword, its very good and free and its also a hotbed for scammers, many of them are 'Nigerians' and Eastern 'Europeans'. Their room adverts always look posh, too good to be true offer and want you to pay through western union, so keep your eyes open in all the deals, roomates are a bit safer but you are not allowed to contact the landlord privately, only through the website.

I learnt you can work without the NI. That you I'll be taxed with any emergency tax band until your NI is ready. How true is this?

I assume Gumtree and Roomates should apply to aberdeen and environs too right?

Is a way to counter the scamming physically checking out the accommodation and paying in cash.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Flash Floods In Abeokuta After Heavy Rainfall (Pictures) / Fatal Accident On Lekki-Epe Express In Lagos (Photos) / Father & Son Die In Accident In Nasarawa On Their Way To Daughter's Wedding (Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.