Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science (7172 Views)

The 10 Most AWKWARD Moments In Church / Mordern Day Jews And The Old Tesatament / Do Mordern Day Churches Use The Word 'seed' To Exploit Members? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by wiegraf: 8:53pm On Aug 27, 2012
Not an expert, but I think all he's trying to say is time as is known in this universe need not exist in another. Whatever passes for time there need not work like time here. For instance, everything could have happened at once (crazy talk? Maybe, but science is plenty crazy even here, massless particles don't move through time, and we ourselves are trvelling at c at the moment, just most of it through time, crazy talk). Assuming time worked similarly in another universe is actually taking liberties, and maybe illogical. After all no one knows what's there, and we probably will never know. It is another universe after all, with nothing to do with our existence in a practical sense(except maybe host the big bang). It would probably have its own rules. The difficulty of explaining what's there is the reason why gods chased from the rocks, rivers, trees, skies, galaxy by science now seem to be hiding there.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by plaetton: 8:53pm On Aug 27, 2012
Deep Sight:

Well my good and gallant friend, I am quite drunk on a bottle of brandy right now, which I have used to down my earthy and timely woes: thus suffice to say in response to thine:

I I hopest that thou gettest it:

Perception is NOT reality: perception is ONLY COGNITIVE reality.

Gbam.

Hic. . . . . . where's that bottle now. . . .what a world it would be without alcohol. . . the greates investion b4 da wheel. . . .

Hic. . . . rolls over

Ha ha ha. Where have you been?
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by PhysicsQED(m): 1:25am On Aug 28, 2012
Deep Sight: Let's simplify.

1. The Big Ban.g refers to an expansion - no? Yes, it does.

Of course.

2. Does nothingness "expand"? - No, because "nothingness" does not exist - by definition.

Right. But I only introduced the issue of nothingness to point out that if there was only nothingness, there would be no need for time and no reason to assume that there was time.

3. As such, referring to an expansion, necessarily indicates a reference to something that expanded. This is not obviated by referring to a "point" that contained all matter and energy - that is STILL SOMETHING - - - > Which must necessarily pre-exist, for us to be able to speak about it BEGINNING TO EXPAND.

Okay. Here's the real problem.

You assert that it must necessarily "pre-exist" before expansion for whatever reason, but you don't say anything about this period of time over which it "pre-exists" or what the singularity is doing while "pre-existing" prior to expansion.

Even if I accept that there was ever a period of time during which this point was not expanding (which I don't because I prefer the opposite assumption), I find it strange that you're willing to posit that there was such a specific period of time when there is no particular reason to make that assumption and when you seem unwilling to state how long this period of time would be.

4. It is thus apt to ask - what THAT thing was - that expanded.

I don't see how the issue of "what" it was arises. I mean I've already explained that you're in THAT thing right now so I don't see how there's a question of "what" it was that expanded.

5. For it to expand [whatever it was] it must have pre-existed its expansion - no? - Yes.

Well, no.

I mean, in your imagination, did it just "pop" into existence, sit around for a while, and then gain spatial extent (expand) later?

But let's assume for the sake of argument, that it was just sitting around for a while before expanding even though there is no more reason to go with that assumption than with the assumption that it was never was.

Let's then ask, what if it was sitting around for about 10^-9999999999^-99999999999^-999999999^-99999999^-9999999. . .^-999999 femtoseconds or better yet, a duration of time many times shorter than that before expanding. What would be the effective difference between it sitting around in stasis for that period of time and it never sitting around in stasis at all? None.

6. Otherwise you refer to something coming into existence out of nothing at the precise moment that the very same thing begins to expand? No? - YES.

7. As such, if something existed which expanded, then there must have existed a timeline for its existence.

You've decided to separate time from the the object itself so that there is some kind of external absolute Newtonian timeline in which it is operating. This particular mental/cognitive abstraction you've introduced is basically just an assumption. It was a popular assumption in the past, but it's a relic now.

This "timeline" for its existence is predicated on the idea of time existing "prior to" the thing (the singularity) existing, which is an assumption that I don't have any particular reason to support. As I said in the other thread, time can only be measured in relation to some thing. Otherwise it is meaningless.

8. Thus time as a whole, could not have commenced with the Big Ban.g.

Well, I really don't see why you're certain about this, but it's getting boring repeating the same stuff over again, so I'll just leave you with your belief in this. I'm not even 100% certain of what current science holds, but I thought it would be better to at least explain how it's different from what you sometimes misrepresent it as in order to argue against it.

You seem to be a die hard proponent of the old "time precedes existence" assumption for whatever reason, and I can't seem to convince you otherwise, so obviously we're never going to agree and we're probably just wasting each other's time.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by truthislight: 10:21am On Aug 28, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Of course.

Right. But I only introduced the issue of nothingness to point out that if there was only nothingness, there would be no need for time and no reason to assume that there was time.

You assert that it must necessarily "pre-exist" before expansion for whatever reason, but you don't say anything about this period of time over which it "pre-exists" or what the singularity is doing while "pre-existing" prior to expansion.

Even if I accept that there was ever a period of time during which this point was not expanding (which I don't because I prefer the opposite assumption), I find it strange that you're willing to posit that there was such a specific period of time when there is no particular reason to make that assumption and when you seem unwilling to state how long this period of time would be.

I don't see how the issue of "what" it was arises. I mean I've already explained that you're in THAT thing right now so I don't see how there's a question of "what" it was that expanded.

Well, no.

I mean, in your imagination, did it just "pop" into existence, sit around for a while, and then gain spatial extent (expand) later?

But let's assume for the sake of argument, that it was just sitting around for a while before expanding even though there is no more reason to go with that assumption than with the assumption that it was never was.

Let's then ask, what if it was sitting around for about 10^-9999999999^-99999999999^-999999999^-99999999^-9999999. . .^-999999 femtoseconds or better yet, a duration of time many times shorter than that before expanding. What would be the effective difference between it sitting around in stasis for that period of time and it never sitting around in stasis at all? None.

You've decided to separate time from the the object itself so that there is some kind of external absolute Newtonian timeline in which it is operating. This particular mental/cognitive abstraction you've introduced is basically just an assumption. It was a popular assumption in the past, but it's a relic now.

This "timeline" for its existence is predicated on the idea of time existing "prior to" the thing (the singularity) existing, which is an assumption that I don't have any particular reason to support. As I said in the other thread, time can only be measured in relation to some thing. Otherwise it is meaningless.

Well, I really don't see why you're certain about this, but it's getting boring repeating the same stuff over again, so I'll just leave you with your belief in this. I'm not even 100% certain of what current science holds, but I thought it would be better to at least explain how it's different from what you sometimes misrepresent it as in order to argue against it.

You seem to be a die hard proponent of the old "time precedes existence" assumption for whatever reason, and I can't seem to convince you otherwise, so obviously we're never going to agree and we're probably just wasting each other's time.

deepsight layed down his reasons fine and good/logically befor his brandy bottle took him off to your zone of timelessness.

But for you, physicQED, you are just here expressing your reservations/not agreeing but failed to put forth a good argument like deepsight did.

In an argument of this sort your refusal to accept is not an argument.

Refusal to accept does not make the beautiful argument of deepsight a no argument.

Refusal to accept his argument does not invalidate deepsight beautiful presentation.

@deepsight

you deserved the brandy after a job well done.

Peace
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by PhysicsQED(m): 10:47am On Aug 28, 2012
Dude, he sometimes piles on assumptions upon assumptions upon misunderstandings and portrays what he's claiming to the contrary as superior while implying or stating outright that others are foolish. Even if there were a reasonable argument somewhere in there, there's absolutely no line of thinking I've seen so far in our discussions that I haven't already come across and I wouldn't pretend I think he's any less wrong than I do just to be polite.

2 Likes

Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Of course.

This is not necessary since we are at a consensus that there is no such thing as "nothingness".

I am Deist, my good friend, you should bear that in mind in reference to the points I set forth.

As such when I make these points about pre-existent time, I am trying to show the materialist scientist that there necessaily pre-exists an element before the material universe: which element issues of, by and in the eternity of primordial reality: which is what GOD is.

I do not believe that the so called singuarity is in itself eternal in the past: I rather see reason to argue that it is not: and must have arisen from a pre-existent eternal element.

It is for this very reason that I shew thee, and thine comrades at arms: that nay, it makes no sense to refer to a singularity that "just is" - and of no cognate source - and worse; to begin to speak of an as yet assumed causeless expansion of no identifiable impetus, source, purpose or trigger.

It is the height of absurdity: and it is indeed far worse to therewith tie the notion of time to "commencing" with this materialist voodoo which makes no sense whatsoever. Time does not "commence" - motion does. The factor referred to as time by scientific hogwash today is not time in any sense whatsoever: it is a dimension of motion. Real time IS - and is not observed to "commence" or to "end" as it is in fact the intangible and infinite continuum into which events are interpolated.

So long as we speak of the origin of the universe, the issue of "what" expands is most apt: otherwise I will assume that you are a witch-doctor by daytime and a shaman by night: under which excellent vocations I would then see how you magically avoid the critical questions of "what". . . and the even more critical question of "why".

Well, no.

Certainly not: I AM, as I have told you, Deist, and as such I do not believe such voodoo: it is rather the materialist scientists whose arguments amount to the above.

My argument is this: God did it.

Yeah, you heard me right.

Again, this does not concern me: it is the trouble and the headache of the materialist scientist, whose postulations leave these questions begging.

As I told you, for my part: God did it.

Yes again: you did hear me right.

You've decided to separate time from the the object itself so that there is some kind of external absolute Newtonian timeline in which it is operating.

The separation is not mine: Time is indeed external and absolute.

Now the experiencing of time is what varies. Time itself is intangible, infinite, and is a component of the self-existence of that absolute that I refer to as GOD.

This particular mental/cognitive abstraction you've introduced is basically just an assumption. It was a popular assumption in the past, but it's a relic now.

Lol. Don't make me laugh.

In reality, Einstein needed to have deployed a different word altogether when he used the word "time". Real time has nothing whatsoever to do wih his theories. He refers simply to a dimension of motion. THAT IS NOT TIME.

Regrettably scientists still hold that misguided notion of motion as a reference to real time. It is not.

Time itself does not move, does not commence, does not end, does not break down, it is static, infinite, eternal, absolute and permanent.

Time is thus a component of that ABSOLUTE which is called GOD.

This "timeline" for its existence is predicated on the idea of time existing "prior to" the thing (the singularity) existing, which is an assumption that I don't have any particular reason to support.

You have every reason to support the notion I lay out - - ->

- - - > because it is illogical to speak of something happening [an event: the expansion] to a body [the singularity] if that body does not already exist!

Do phenomena occur to non-existent things?

No: they occur only to things that ALREADY exist - in one form or the other.

And in this alone rests the entire matter! Awfully SIMPLE!

This is so simple it is boring having to repeat it over and over: and that was why I referred you to all those threads and posts, but it seems you drew nothing therefrom.

(Please do note that this also covers a scenario - which you suggest - whereby expansion occurs at the same moment of the said singulatrity coming to exist: as it could not "come to exist" from nothingness: it must needs have still come to exist from something already existing: since it is not intangible or self existent.)

As I said in the other thread, time can only be measured in relation to some thing. Otherwise it is meaningless.

That is for you and I: FINITE beings living in a material world.

Note also: that you say: "can only be measured." Note the word - "measure". It applies only to the finite. Measurement is not the issue here: existence is. Not all that exists can be measured: only the finite can.

Please try using a measuring tape to measure the decreasing decimals of space between atomic or sub-atomic particles. You cannot measure such. Does that mean that such infinite space does not exist?

That sorts your issue here.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 2:40pm On Aug 28, 2012
PhysicsQED: Dude, he sometimes piles on assumptions upon assumptions upon misunderstandings

I am piling simple logic upon simple logic, my friend. Plain and simple for the simple to see.

and portrays what he's claiming to the contrary as superior

What is superior, is superior.

while implying or stating outright that others are foolish.

Who is foolish, is foolish.

Even if there were a reasonable argument somewhere in there, there's absolutely no line of thinking I've seen so far in our discussions that I haven't already come across

Because common logic and common sense were not born with me: they have existed from the dawn of time for the logical and the simple to see.

and I wouldn't pretend I think he's any less wrong than I do just to be polite.

No one expects this of you.

1 Like

Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by jayriginal: 4:58pm On Aug 28, 2012
PhysicsQED: Dude, he sometimes piles on assumptions upon assumptions upon misunderstandings and portrays what he's claiming to the contrary as superior while implying or stating outright that others are foolish. Even if there were a reasonable argument somewhere in there, there's absolutely no line of thinking I've seen so far in our discussions that I haven't already come across and I wouldn't pretend I think he's any less wrong than I do just to be polite.

You catch on quick.

Deep Sight:
I am Deist, my good friend, you should bear that in mind in reference to the points I set forth.

Certainly not: I AM, as I have told you, Deist, and as such I do not believe such voodoo: it is rather the materialist scientists whose arguments amount to the above.

No. You Sir, are a charlatan and a humbug plus a lightweight to boot !
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 5:29pm On Aug 28, 2012
jayriginal:

You catch on quick.

I supposed you would say so as soon as I read his words: you are free to continue your d.aft postulations as to cause and effect being "an assumption" and then turn around to say that yes, it applies to material finite things, and then turn around to say that the universe is such a thing: evidentially had a beginning: and then swing around to id.iotically to claim that the law of cause and effect is "an assumption" with regard to the universe.

Such id.iocy does not impress me: it will however, impress vacant minds such as yours.

No. You Sir, are a charlatan and a humbug plus a lightweight to boot !

Finished mas.turbating? I hope that helped you C.U.M.

Talking about lightweight, I am not sure that anyone has ever seen you post any thing of significance or remote moment anywhere on this forum. To be fair: you are one of the lightest minds I have ever engaged in this forum: there have been far far better. People who actually say things. Can you remind anyone of anything of significance that you have ever set forth on this forum, save cheer-leading for dolts such as logicboy, Dawkins and the rest.

Please stick your words right up where they belong and don't strive to associate where you do not belong.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2012
Repeated Post/ yabbis.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by jayriginal: 5:34pm On Aug 28, 2012
^^^

Oh cram it will ya ?

You're not built for this.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by jayriginal: 6:00pm On Aug 28, 2012
Deep Sight:
Talking about lightweight, I am not sure that anyone has ever seen you post any thing of significance or remote moment anywhere on this forum. To be fair: you are one of the lightest minds I have ever engaged in this forum: there have been far far better. People who actually say things. Cna you remind anyone of anything of significance that you have ever set forth on this forum, save cheer-leading for dolts such as logicboy, Dawkins and the rest.

Please stick your words right up where they belong and don't strive to associate where you do not belong.

Ah, but mon ami, that does not move me in the slightest, for I know nought, and know that I know nought. Ok, I lied. Theres one thing I know.

I know that you are the physical embodiment of monumental folly.

You, are a comedian Sir. Cheap and pitiful.

Sorry. I hate to be the one to do this to you. undecided
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 6:09pm On Aug 28, 2012
jayriginal:

Ah, but mon ami, that does not move me in the slightest, for I know nought, and know that I know nought. Ok, I lied. Theres one thing I know.

I know that you are the physical embodiment of monumental folly.

You, are a comedian Sir. Cheap and pitiful.

Sorry. I hate to be the one to do this to you. undecided

Abeg jaare. Do what to whom? Go read the posts of a poster called Viaro. In this business of yabbis, i took worthy heavy stuff from him and zillions of others. Your empty piffle will not move an old soldier. You must be living in la la land. As far as I know, you have not said anything worth reading ever since your lamentable arrival on this board. Skoot off.

Please PhysicsQED, come and make your posts and save me from reading such stark, asinine nothingness.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by jayriginal: 6:10pm On Aug 28, 2012
Deep Sight:

Abeg jaare. Do what to whom? You must be living in la la land. As far as I know, you have not said anything worth reading ever since your lamentable arrival on this board.

Please PhysicsQED, come and make your posts and save me from reading such stark, asinine nothingness.

undecided
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by jayriginal: 6:25pm On Aug 28, 2012
Funny what inferiority complex can do to a man.

Someone with poor comprehension skills and zero grasp of logic haughtily abuses his superiors.

He will tell us he went to Kings College and read all the encyclopedias in the library.

Somme people need learning.

How tragic cry
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 6:28pm On Aug 28, 2012
jayriginal: Funny what inferiority complex can do to a man.

Someone with poor comprehension skills and zero grasp of logic haughtily abuses his superiors.

He will tell us he went to Kings College and read all the encyclopedias in the library.

Somme people need learning.

How tragic cry

Yawn.

I cannot account for your lapses in logic. As far as I know, if there is a ghost of inferiority hanging around here anywhere, you reek of it.

Stop stalking me. What the he.ll does my secondary school have to do with your issues? ? ?

Mr. "I-like-science-but-I-cannot-give-scientific-examples-for-my-nonsensical-postulations"

OLODO! WAKA JOOR!
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by jayriginal: 6:35pm On Aug 28, 2012
Deep Sight:

Yawn.

I cannot account for your lapses in logic. As far as I know, if there is a ghost of inferiority hanging around here anywhere, you reek of it.

Stop stalking me.

Mr. "I-like-science-but-I-cannot-give-scientific-examples-for-my-nonsensical-postulations"

OLODO! WAKA JOOR!

Dude, you are sliding into dementia. Me stalk you ke ?

Nobody takes you seriously mate. You're good for comic relief. Thats all.

You dont need to tell me no one takes me seriously, thats ok. I'm not here for that. I call myself jayriginal, you call yourself Deep Sight. Go figure!

And oh, about the scientific examples did I say I couldnt give or I didnt see the necessity ? Not sure.

Either way, I didnt want to derail stuff back then but the argument you claimed to have taken delight in shooting down was a strawman. You may wish to tell us now the cause of virtual particles instead of telling us that they dont emerge from nothing.

Deep Sight = Acute Myopia
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 6:42pm On Aug 28, 2012
jayriginal:

Dude, you are sliding into dementia. Me stalk you ke ?

Nobody takes you seriously mate. You're good for comic relief. Thats all.

Jesus mate, at least my Dog does. And nah, he is somebody.

You dont need to tell me no one takes me seriously, thats ok. I'm not here for that. I call myself jayriginal, you call yourself Deep Sight. Go figure!

I have advised you before to stop obsessing. Weitin consine u inside my username nah?

And oh, about the scientific examples did I say I couldnt give or I didnt see the necessity ? Not sure.

Six and half a dozen. YOU made the contentions contrary to known science and so YOU had to give examples. Over several pitiful pages you absconded that duty. One single example of an uncaused material thing that you know of would have done.

Either way, I didnt want to derail stuff back then but the argument you claimed to have taken delight in shooting down was a strawman. You may wish to tell us now the cause of virtual particles instead of telling us that they dont emerge from nothing.

Lol, after running away from virtual particles, you are back here? Anthing that emerges from somethingness is not uncaused. FACT. As such, since it is proven that there is no such thing as a perfect vacuum, then virtual particles are not uncaused. Period.

Deep Sight = Acute Myopia

U won't be the first mate. The moniker itself screams for mockery, and it gets it. They even say "Deep Sh.it"

No matter.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by jayriginal: 6:48pm On Aug 28, 2012
Deep Sight:

Jesus mate, at leats my Dog does. And nah, he is somebody.

Not till he registers on nairaland.

I have advised you before to stop obsessing. Weitin consine u inside my username nah?

I think its a major cause of the hot air in you.

Six and half a dozen. YOU made the contentions contrary to known science and so YOU had to give examples. Over several pitiful pages you absconded that duty. One single example of an uncaused material thing that you know of would have done.

NO, you were the one asserting. I was questioning. You sought to convince me. You dont ask your opponent to prove his case until you have proven yours.
No case submission !

Lol, after running away from virtual particles, you are back here? Anthing that emerges from somethingness is not uncaused. FACT. As such, since it is proven that there is no such thing as a perfect vacuum, then virtual particles are not uncaused. Period.

I didnt bring that up, you did and I refused to be distracted. I have asked you what causes virtual particles. You still havent told me.

U won't be the first mate. The moniker itself screams for mockery, and it gets it. They even say "Deep Sh.it"

No matter.

Nah, that wont be original. Its too obvious (and you dont hide it either grin )
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 6:59pm On Aug 28, 2012
jayriginal:

Not till he registers on nairaland.

He has already. Enigma caught him, and I had to ask him not to re appear.

I think its a major cause of the hot air in you.

No amigo: it is an indication of my personal quest for knowledge. For Deeper sight. Simples.

NO, you were the one asserting. I was questioning. You sought to convince me. You dont ask your opponent to prove his case until you have proven yours.
No case submission !

I gave you Galileo: I showed you that EVEN WHERE RIGHT, any person questioning accepted scientific laws such as cause and effect, will have to adduce proof and examples validating his doubt.

I would not say, for example, that the law of gravity is an " assumption " - and then insist that the world should be the one to prove same to me. Evidence of gravity is all around us in the same way as evidence of cause and effect is all around us. If I wish to deny or question the law of gravity on any level - even at the level of the early universe - I will have to show my reasons for questioning that which is commonly observed.

This is what you failed to do, and I tire of explaining this fact to you. Once you question a commonly observed law, you must show WHY.

Your stance is just like me questioning the law of gravity and then asking you to show me the evidence for gravity. Its absurd, accept that.

I didnt bring that up, you did and I refused to be distracted. I have asked you what causes virtual particles. You still havent told me.

Virtual particles have been made an issue by people who seek to prove that something may emerge from nothing. That is the exact point: virtual particles do not emerge from nothing, because the vacuums referred to are not nothing: they contained low gaseous pressure and as such are not nothing. In science, there has never been a perfect vacuum observed anywhere.

Nah, that wont be original. Its too obvious (and you dont hide it either grin )

Lol.

1 Like

Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by jayriginal: 7:09pm On Aug 28, 2012
Deep Sight:

He has already. Enigma caught him, and I had to ask him not to re appear.

Ehya.

I gave you Galileo: I showed you that EVEN WHERE RIGHT, any person questioning accepted scientific laws such as cause and effect, will have to adduce proof and examples validating his doubt.

I would not say, for example, that the law of gravity is an " assumption " - and then insist that the world should be the one to prove same to me. Evidence of gravity is all around us in the same way as evidence of cause and effect is all around us. If I wish to deny or question the law of gravity on any level - even at the level of the early universe - I will have to show my reasons for questioning that which is commonly observed.

This is what you failed to do, and I tire of explaining this fact to you. Once you question a commonly observed law, you must show WHY.

Your stance is just like me questioning the law of gravity and then asking you to show me the evidence for gravity. Its absurd, accept that.

No. There is a difference between our container and outside our container. Even our container is vastly unknown. It is not out of place then to ask you if a local law has scope outside our immediate vicinity. Thats simple enough.

Virtual particles have been made an issue by people who seek to prove that something may emerge from nothing. That is the exact point: virtual particles do not emerge from nothing, because the vacuums referred to are not nothing: they contained low gaseous pressure and as such are not nothing. In science, there has never been a perfect vacuum observed anywhere.

You keep going on about perfect vacuums. I havent asked that. My question is "what is the cause of virtual particles" ?

Its perfectly ok to say you dont know, even if you think they must be caused somewhat.

Go ahead and asnwer.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 28, 2012
http://profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/particle-physics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/

The term “virtual particle” is an endlessly confusing and confused subject for the layperson, and even for the non-expert scientist. I have read many books for laypeople (yes, I was a layperson once myself, and I remember, at the age of 16, reading about this stuff) and all of them talk about virtual particles and not one of them has ever made any sense to me. So I am going to try a different approach in explaining it to you.

The best way to approach this concept, I believe, is to forget you ever saw the word “particle” in the term. A virtual particle is not a particle at all. It refers precisely to a disturbance in a field that is not a particle. A particle is a nice, regular ripple in a field, one that can travel smoothly and effortlessly through space, like a clear tone of a bell moving through the air. A “virtual particle”, generally, is a disturbance in a field that will never be found on its own, but instead is something that is caused by the presence of other particles, often of other fields.

Analogy time (and a very close one mathematically); think about a child’s swing. If you give it a shove and let it go, it will swing back and forth with a time period that is always the same, no matter how hard was the initial shove you gave it. This is the natural motion of the swing. Now compare that regular, smooth, constant back-and-forth motion to what would happen if you started giving the swing a shove many times during each of its back and forth swings. Well, the swing would start jiggling around all over the place, in a very unnatural motion, and it would not swing smoothly at all. The poor child on the swing would be furious at you, as you’d be making his or her ride very uncomfortable. This unpleasant jiggling motion — this disturbance of the swing — is different from the swing’s natural and preferred back-and-forth regular motion just as a “virtual particle” disturbance is different from a real particle. If something makes a real particle, that particle can go off on its own across space. If something makes a disturbance, that disturbance will die away, or break apart, once its cause is gone. So it’s not like a particle at all, and I wish we didn’t call it that.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 7:16pm On Aug 28, 2012
jayriginal:

Ehya.

Believe you me, i'm yet to live that one down.

No. There is a difference between our container and outside our container. Even our container is vastly unknown. It is not out of place then to ask you if a local law has scope outside our immediate vicinity. Thats simple enough.

Yes: and with reference to the example I gave about gravity, who would you say would have the burden of proof if it is said that gravity does not apply at the stage of the early universe. Given that we observe gravity in all aspects of the universe [your favorite term - "as far as we know"] - then if these statements are made -

Man X - Gravity applies across the universe

Man Y - Gravity is only an assumption as far as we know

- - - > Which man has the burden of proof? Be honest here.

I repeat: any person stating that which is contrary to common observation must bear the burden of proof.

The universe is material and we see cause and effect in all things material. Cause and Effect is thus intrinsic to matreial reality "as far as we know". As such, any person who asserts the contrary will have to show why. Just as Galileo had to - even when right. Just as Corpenicus had to - even when right.

Simple.

You keep going on about perfect vacuums. I havent asked that. My question is "what is the cause of virtual particles" ?

Its perfectly ok to say you dont know, even if you think they must be caused somewhat.

Go ahead and asnwer.

Yes of course, I do not know. What I do know for certain is that anything that emerges out of something else cannot be said to be uncaused. That is logical. Or do you deny this as well?
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 7:20pm On Aug 28, 2012
Martian: http://profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/particle-physics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/

The term “virtual particle” is an endlessly confusing and confused subject for the layperson, and even for the non-expert scientist. I have read many books for laypeople (yes, I was a layperson once myself, and I remember, at the age of 16, reading about this stuff) and all of them talk about virtual particles and not one of them has ever made any sense to me. So I am going to try a different approach in explaining it to you.

The best way to approach this concept, I believe, is to forget you ever saw the word “particle” in the term. A virtual particle is not a particle at all. It refers precisely to a disturbance in a field that is not a particle. A particle is a nice, regular ripple in a field, one that can travel smoothly and effortlessly through space, like a clear tone of a bell moving through the air. A “virtual particle”, generally, is a disturbance in a field that will never be found on its own, but instead is something that is caused by the presence of other particles, often of other fields.

Analogy time (and a very close one mathematically); think about a child’s swing. If you give it a shove and let it go, it will swing back and forth with a time period that is always the same, no matter how hard was the initial shove you gave it. This is the natural motion of the swing. Now compare that regular, smooth, constant back-and-forth motion to what would happen if you started giving the swing a shove many times during each of its back and forth swings. Well, the swing would start jiggling around all over the place, in a very unnatural motion, and it would not swing smoothly at all. The poor child on the swing would be furious at you, as you’d be making his or her ride very uncomfortable. This unpleasant jiggling motion — this disturbance of the swing — is different from the swing’s natural and preferred back-and-forth regular motion just as a “virtual particle” disturbance is different from a real particle. If something makes a real particle, that particle can go off on its own across space. If something makes a disturbance, that disturbance will die away, or break apart, once its cause is gone. So it’s not like a particle at all, and I wish we didn’t call it that.

Thanks for this.

Jayriginal, please note that all of this beautifully and emphatically discloses causality.

Can't run way from it. Read th ebold in particular.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by wiegraf: 7:22pm On Aug 28, 2012
@martian
Do virtual particles need to be caused? Thanks

Edit: never mind, I see you culled that
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by jayriginal: 7:29pm On Aug 28, 2012
Deep Sight:

Believe you me, i'm yet to live that one down.

grin

Yes: and with reference to the example I gave about gravity, who would you say would have the burden of proof if it is said that gravity does not apply at the stage of the early universe. Given that we observe gravity in all aspects of the universe [your favorite term - "as far as we know"] - then if these statements are made -

Man X - Gravity applies across the universe

Man Y - Gravity is only an assumption as far as we know

- - - > Which man has the burden of proof? Be honest here.

I repeat: any person stating that which is contrary to common observation must bear the burden of proof.

The universe is material and we see cause and effect in all things material. Cause and Effect is thus intrinsic to matreial reality "as far as we know". As such, any person who asserts the contrary will have to show why. Just as Galileo had to - even when right. Just as Corpenicus had to - even when right.

The way it went was
Man X, gravity applies across the Universe
Man Y, How do you know ?

Deep Sight:

Funny you should mention this

jayriginal:
^^
Alright; fine.

1. Whatever BEGINS to exist has a cause
2. The Universe BEGAN to exist

We do not necessarily know that these first two are correct. It does "sound" correct but we do not necessarily know so.
Only if we accept BOTH premises can we move to the conclusion.
3. The Universe has a cause

Now can you really claim to have absolute knowledge of the truth of the first two premises or you are just going with what your natural experience suggests to you ?

As an example, the early man would have known that anything he throws up would come down (if unhindered). In that light, he would imagine (going by natural experience)that if he could throw an object far enough (like into space) it would still come down. We know better today but he didnt.
Therefore, on what grounds do you hold the first two premises to be true ?

https://www.nairaland.com/869536/darwins-day/6#10393474

Thats as far as gravity goes.

Now on to Martians link. I have been aware of that since before we debated but I am not entirely satisfied. Maybe I will if I pursue the subject vigorously, but I wonder if I can borrow a leaf from my mentor Deep Sight and label the Prof as "i[i]d[/i]iotic", illiterate and such like terms of endearment. grin
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 7:43pm On Aug 28, 2012
jayriginal:

The way it went was
Man Y, How do you know ?

The succeeding answer would be that it is intrinsic in the material universe. Cause and effect is more intrinsic. As such, I repeat: if any person wishes to cast doubt on its applicability else where in the universe, he will have to show why.

This is axactly what some dolts have been laboring unsuccessfully to do with virtual particles, radioactive decay, etc.

If they succeed, fine. They have not, simple.

We can know that Cause and Effect applies across the universe SO LONG AS WE ARE DEALING WITH MATTER: because we have seen that material phenomena need causes AND WE KNOW THAT THE UNIVERSE IS MATERIAL.

How? I cannot ask you to prove to me why something like grravity is NOT an assumption, can I? By the way, less gravity is not no gravity, in reference to your reference. Would you say that it will be am assumption to say that other planets have some gravitational pull as well about them? Would this be an assumption, or a correct inference from what we know? How do we know such then? Again, be honest here.

Now on to Martians link. I have been aware of that since before we debated but I am not entirely satisfied. Maybe I will if I pursue the subject vigorously, but I wonder if I can borrow a leaf from my mentor Deep Sight and label the Prof as "i[i]d[/i]iotic", illiterate and such like terms of endearment. grin

Dawkins is a dolt. Don't sweat that one.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 7:43pm On Aug 28, 2012
jayriginal:

The way it went was
Man Y, How do you know ?

The succeeding answer would be that it is intrinsic in the material universe. Cause and effect is more intrinsic. As such, I repeat: if any person wishes to cast doubt on its applicability else where in the universe, he will have to show why.

This is axactly what some dolts have been laboring unsuccessfully to do with virtual particles, radioactive decay, etc.

We can know that Cause and Effect applies across the universe SO LONG AS WE ARE DEALING WITH MATTER: because we have seen that material phenomena need causes AND WE KNOW THAT THE UNIVERSE IS MATERIAL.

How? I cannot ask you to prove to me why something like grravity is NOT an assumption, can I? By the way, less gravity is not no gravity, in reference to your reference. Would you say that it will be am assumption to say that other planets have some gravitational pull as well about them? Would this be an assumption, or a correct inference from what we know? How do we know such then? Again, be honest here.

Dawkins is a dolt. Don't sweat that one.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by jayriginal: 7:44pm On Aug 28, 2012

Scientific American

Are virtual particles really constantly popping in and out of existence? Or are they merely a mathematical bookkeeping device for quantum mechanics?

Gordon Kane, director of the Michigan Center for Theoretical Physics at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, provides this answer.

Virtual particles are indeed real particles. Quantum theory predicts that every particle spends some time as a combination of other particles in all possible ways. These predictions are very well understood and tested.

Quantum mechanics allows, and indeed requires, temporary violations of conservation of energy, so one particle can become a pair of heavier particles (the so-called virtual particles), which quickly rejoin into the original particle as if they had never been there. If that were all that occurred we would still be confident that it was a real effect because it is an intrinsic part of quantum mechanics, which is extremely well tested, and is a complete and tightly woven theory--if any part of it were wrong the whole structure would collapse.

. . .

Another very good test some readers may want to look up, which we do not have space to describe here, is the Casimir effect, where forces between metal plates in empty space are modified by the presence of virtual particles.

Thus virtual particles are indeed real and have observable effects that physicists have devised ways of measuring. Their properties and consequences are well established and well understood consequences of quantum mechanics.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=are-virtual-particles-rea
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by DeepSight(m): 7:47pm On Aug 28, 2012
^ ^ ^ Abeg, real or fake, they are not uncaused. That is the fact.

Have to be off now. Hope you enjoyed our banter as much as I did, and don't take my melodrama seriously o.

Later pal.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by jayriginal: 7:55pm On Aug 28, 2012
Deep Sight:

When you ask me if I observe something, and I do, I say yes. If you then take it to mean that such a thing extends to what I cannot observe and what I know you could not have possibly observed, then I must ask you how you acquired your knowledge.

As far as cause and effect and a material universe is concerned, there are things to consider.

Much like the early man would have been reasonable to suppose gravity is a universal law, we know better now. So also your precious cause and effect. Theres nothing currently to show that it applies Universally. That is as I say, a compositional fallacy, wherein you infer the whole from a part.

It wont do in an argument of this kind. I have not said you are wrong, I have asked if you are right. You need stronger evidence than common observation to prove right.
Now, suppose you did succeed in proving the law of cause and effect as having Universal application, there is one hurdle you must of necessity cross.

You must then show that at the singularity from whence the Universe was said to commence in present form, and the same point when physicists agree that our laws of physics as we know it were broken down/did not apply, at this very point, you have to show that this natural law of cause and effect was applicable then.

All, before you show that it was god that did it.

A daunting task, I think.
Re: The 10 Dogmata Of Mordern Science by jayriginal: 7:56pm On Aug 28, 2012
Deep Sight: ^ ^ ^ Abeg, real or fake, they are not uncaused. That is the fact.

Have to be off now. Hope you enjoyed our banter as much as I did, and don't take my melodrama seriously o.

Later pal.

Cheers. Good ribbing. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

To Recover Back Your Glory, Destiny / Problems with Abiogenesis / Pope Francis' Message For World Mission Sunday 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.