Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,949 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? (52070 Views)

Lets Help One Another: How Did You Overcome Your Challenges ? / How Did Your Eid-ul-kabir Go? / Does Islam Come From The Decendants Of Ishmael The First Son Of Abraham (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 1:57am On Aug 12, 2012
MacDaddy01:

1) Why is it so hard to answer a simple question? Punishment for adultery is flogging, according to the Quran. What is the punishment for slavery?

2) It is only in the mind of a brainwashed person that 11- 17 million black slaves were taken peacefully. That is the amount of slaves taken by muslim Arabs. Have you tried to enslave someone before? Is it a peaceful process?

3) How do I know that the Arabs were mostly muslims?

a)The spread of Islam wherever they were involved in slave trade; Kano, Borno, Chad, Salaga etc. If the majority of slave traders were non-muslims, how is it that it wasnt Arab paganism that spread?
b)The fact that it is widely reported in history books and reliable websites that Islam played a major role in African slavery.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/history/slavery_1.shtml#h4
http://africanhistory.about.com/od/slavery/a/IslamRoleSlavery01.htm

4) What military records are you looking for? Slaves were gained through conquests. We are not discussing Muhammad's military tactics here.

im not going through this again with your "facts" and allegations.ive gone through this slavery issue in the other thread.i thought this thread was about how Islam spread.i have asked questions you haven't answered because you honestly cannot say anything convincing.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by MacDaddy01: 5:03pm On Aug 12, 2012
LagosShia:

im not going through this again with your "facts" and allegations.ive gone through this slavery issue in the other thread.i thought this thread was about how Islam spread.i have asked questions you haven't answered because you honestly cannot say anything convincing.

What questions did you ask? If you notice, all the slavery routes of Arabs are where Islam is present.

All history books point to Islam spreading throughout West Africa through slave trade. Yes, maybe some of our fellow Nigerians did some work in the 15th-19th centuries to further spread it but the first spread of Islam was through slavery.

You can argue with history all you like but you have lost and I il contineu to educate Nigerians on their history with these foriegn religions of christianity and islam

1 Like

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by maclatunji: 5:16pm On Aug 12, 2012
^Going by your submission, even the rulers of Northern Nigeria were slaves to Arabs. A quite foolish submission.

What would be correct is that Islam spread to Nigeria via trade which included trade in slaves owned by African Aristocracy. Let us hear word abeg!
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by MacDaddy01: 5:26pm On Aug 12, 2012
maclatunji: ^Going by your submission, even the rulers of Northern Nigeria were slaves to Arabs. A quite foolish submission.

What would be correct is that Islam spread to Nigeria via trade which included trade in slaves owned by African Aristocracy. Let us hear word abeg!

@ bold- that is factually stated in other West African areas conquered by Arabs. What you say is a foolish submission is actually reality. The rulers were in inferior to the might of Arabs.

I find it very funny that a Nigerian will willfully believe that The Arab foriegner came with good intentions to trade and our African rulers of the past willingly sold their brethren and people.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by MacDaddy01: 5:33pm On Aug 12, 2012
Arabs did not come to trade in anything other than slaves in Nigeria. Please, we should refrain from saying things just to protect religion.

What did Arabs trade in in Nigeria (other than slaves) if they came to trade or spread religion by trade?
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by maclatunji: 6:14pm On Aug 12, 2012
MacDaddy01:

@ bold- that is factually stated in other West African areas conquered by Arabs. What you say is a foolish submission is actually reality. The rulers were in inferior to the might of Arabs.

I find it very funny that a Nigerian will willfully believe that The Arab foriegner came with good intentions to trade and our African rulers of the past willingly sold their brethren and people.

Dear Child, there's nothing like "brotherhood" for many people when money is involved.

What did the Arabs trade with the Europeans?
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 6:32pm On Aug 12, 2012
MacDaddy01:

What questions did you ask?

here:

LagosShia: you have still not explained to me how does arab men partaking in the slave trade have to do with spreading Islam? what is the connection?

you have also not explained how does arab men who could as well being atheists not following Islam or disobedient Muslims,buying slaves spread Islam?

no arab army stepped foot on west african soil or colonized anywhere.

was it only slaves that were traded? which other trades existed?

provide historical accounts showing that the slave trade which was undertaken by few arabs among the many who traded other things,either chiefly or only was responsible for the spread of Islam into Nigeria and the rest of west africa.

please answer my questions.

you are just making a claim and connecting two different issues (slavery and spread of Islam) without any proof.

now i want to ask you this for you to critically think about it.

in the battle of karbala where 40,000 soldiers at the order of Yazid gathered to massacre the Prophet's (sa) household and beheaded the grandson of Prophet Muhammad (sa),Imam Hussain (as),didn't those monsters also claimed to be "muslims"? so would you then say it is Islam that is responsible for their attrocities committed against the Ahlul-Bayt (as)?

please think.it is boring when a thread is based on stubbornness than reason.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by MacDaddy01: 7:24pm On Aug 12, 2012
maclatunji:

Dear Child, there's nothing like "brotherhood" for many people when money is involved.

What did the Arabs trade with the Europeans?

But there was brotherhood for Arabs that didnt sell their brethren to Africans? Stop defending the slave trading Arabs. Inferiority complex. This kind of thinking of my fellow Nigerians just saddens me.

What does European trade with Arabs have to do with West African slavery? It only buttresses my point. Why didnt islam spread in Europe upon all the spice trade they had going on? Howver, when there was slavery of the locals, Islam spread in West Africa.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by MacDaddy01: 7:31pm On Aug 12, 2012
LagosShia:

here:

now i want to ask you this for you to critically think about it.

in the battle of karbala where 40,000 soldiers at the order of Yazid gathered to massacre the Prophet's (sa) household and beheaded the grandson of Prophet Muhammad (sa),Imam Hussain (as),didn't those monsters also claimed to be "muslims"? so would you then say it is Islam that is responsible for their attrocities committed against the Ahlul-Bayt (as)?

please think.it is boring when a thread is based on stubbornness than reason.

Pure nonsense.

1) The Arabs were mostly muslim Arabs. An overwhelming majority.

2) As for Nigeria, it was only slave trade that the Arabs were engaged in

3) No religion has ever spread through trade over local religions. Never in human history.

4) What Arab army are you talking about? Who cares what the Arabs on conquest in west africa called themselves? If we call the conquerors "armies of Arabs" than your point about no arab army in west africa is moot.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by maclatunji: 9:54pm On Aug 12, 2012
MacDaddy01:

But there was brotherhood for Arabs that didnt sell their brethren to Africans? Stop defending the slave trading Arabs. Inferiority complex. This kind of thinking of my fellow Nigerians just saddens me.

What does European trade with Arabs have to do with West African slavery? It only buttresses my point. Why didnt islam spread in Europe upon all the spice trade they had going on? Howver, when there was slavery of the locals, Islam spread in West Africa.

@bolded, it was you who claimed that the Arabs did not
have anything to sell to ancient Nigerians, apart from the
spices you mentioned, the Aristocracy in ancient Nigeria
would have bought foreign fabrics, utensils, artworks and
weapons from Arabs. So you see you are too narrow-
minded with your submissions.
Who said Islam didn't spread to Europe? Please read
about Moorish Spain and how Muslim rule ended there .
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 10:06pm On Aug 12, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Pure nonsense.

1) The Arabs were mostly muslim Arabs. An overwhelming majority.

2) As for Nigeria, it was only slave trade that the Arabs were engaged in

3) No religion has ever spread through trade over local religions. Never in human history.

4) What Arab army are you talking about? Who cares what the Arabs on conquest in west africa called themselves? If we call the conquerors "armies of Arabs" than your point about no arab army in west africa is moot.

you are repeating yourself like a regurgitating goat.

you have still not answered my questions.i quoted my older post for you to answer them.or may be you do not read what others type?

besides,south-eastern europe does have a very large population of Muslims.Albania and Kosovo are Muslim majority.Bosnia is divided.and other countries too have their population of Muslims.

Islam could not have spread into europe as fast as it did in africa because of the rivalry with the roman empire and the early battles fought between muslims and romans.there was already an existing conflict from the early stages.also the influence of christianity and the papacy played its role in terms of politics.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by MacDaddy01: 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2012
maclatunji:

@bolded, it was you who claimed that the Arabs did not
have anything to sell to ancient Nigerians, apart from the
spices you mentioned, the Aristocracy in ancient Nigeria
would have bought foreign fabrics, utensils, artworks and
weapons from Arabs. So you see you are too narrow-
minded with your submissions.
Who said Islam didn't spread to Europe? Please read
about Moorish Spain and how Muslim rule ended there .

Huh? Why the lies? Why? Northern Nigerians were trading in spices? artworks? Foreign fabrics? LMAO.

Lol....do you have any evidence at all to support your claims? Stop saying things to protect your religion.

Arabs traded in slaves. They packed about 11-17 milliojn black slaves from sub-saharan Africa. End of story

Islam came through slavery and conquest.

Do you know what Islam in Europe looks like? Ants in a forest. The red parts represent islam in the picture

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by maclatunji: 11:06pm On Aug 12, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Huh? Why the lies? Why? Northern Nigerians were trading in spices? artworks? Foreign fabrics? LMAO.

Lol....do you have any evidence at all to support your claims? Stop saying things to protect your religion.

Arabs traded in slaves. They packed about 11-17 milliojn black slaves from sub-saharan Africa. End of story

Islam came through slavery and conquest.

Do you know what Islam in Europe looks like? Ants in a forest. The red parts represent islam in the picture

You can laugh all you want and post all the maps you want. Ancient trade in Kano, Zaria, Daura are things anyone can check.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by maclatunji: 11:19pm On Aug 12, 2012
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 12:00am On Aug 13, 2012
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:19am On Nov 17, 2012
maclatunji: Ample evidence of trade in Northern Nigeria http://edhelper.com/ReadingComprehension_Geography_167_1.html

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Kanem-Bornu_Kingdom

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_West_Africa

Your ban is long overdue my one-dimensional troll.

Can you imagine? You banned me so that I couldnt rebut your flawed argument? This happened a long time ago and I completely forgot.

The Kanem Bornu empire had Arab slave traders. You just made my point.

Case closed, Islam came to Nigeria through slavery
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 17, 2012
LagosShia:

^
Lol grin

You found that funny?
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Cheers01: 1:17pm On Jan 21, 2013
bump
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by okunoba(m): 2:04pm On Mar 11, 2013
"No compulsion in religion" but the holy prophet {pbuh} upon conquering mecca destroyed all the idols of the pagans. Actions speaks louder than words, there is compulsion in Islam. If no be by force he would have let the pagans do their thing, who is he to force his religious believe on others. He was complaining of being prosecuted but when he got power he did the same thing he was complaining about. So in a nutshell Islam was founded on hypocrisy and the use of force. Back to the topic, Islam was spread in west Africa through brutal force and trade.

I expect to be insulted and called names as that is the only way our muslim brothers on Nairaland know how to debate.

1 Like

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Babadeen(m): 2:17pm On Mar 11, 2013
okunoba: "No compulsion in religion" but the holy prophet {pbuh} upon conquering mecca destroyed all the idols of the pagans. Actions speaks louder than words, there is compulsion in Islam. If no be by force he would have let the pagans do their thing, who is he to force his religious believe on others. He was complaining of being prosecuted but when he got power he did the same thing he was complaining about. So in a nutshell Islam was founded on hypocrisy and the use of force. Back to the topic, Islam was spread in west Africa through brutal force and trade.

I expect to be insulted and called names as that is the only way our muslim brothers on Nairaland know how to debate.

I expect worse- you might be banned.

That is how things go here.

No freedom of speech

1 Like

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by eddin: 4:23am On Oct 12, 2013
I noticed the word (slave) was used repeatedly by the writers before me to describe what were african captives. There was no Such Word as
slave Before the european invasion of africa. The Word (SLAVE) is derived from The word (SLAV), (SLAVIC), Or (SLAVS) who are the (TURKISH AND EURASIAN PEOPLES). It Was The French, and Kassarian Human Traffickers who coined the term (SLAVE). In Africa, the taking of captives resulted from tribal warfare, and (CAPTIVES) were taken so they could no longer support the enemy tribe. The (ZIONIST OLIGARCHS) Have
Rewritten history, writing themselves out of history, the zionist oligarchs are the pharasees written about in the bible, the kassarians, talmudist, bolshevist, communist, israeli government, world bank in england, federal reserve bank, and the US Government The Rothchides and many more. The red shield sits in israel, the chief prince the rothchilds decieving the world with unending war and word games mind viruses like slaves and slavs, calling turks arabs, and europeans semites. They sit there in israel calling themselves the children of Jacob and not a drop of Jacobs blood in them. PBUH PROPHET JACOB when before the europeans entered africa our ancestors were'nt slaves, if taken in tribal warfare they were war captives, this carried a completely different connotation than the mind viruses perpetrated on unschooled minds as to the treachery of this diabolic institution called (ZIONISM), So devastating till it has morphed itself into a (ISLAMC MIMIC) looks like, talks like, walks like, sounds like, and prays like the real (MUMIN).
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Shyeikulislam1(m): 5:13pm On Oct 12, 2013
I am highly dissapointed @macdaddy that you used such links to concluded that islam was spread through slavery. This is irrational
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Shyeikulislam1(m): 6:32pm On Oct 12, 2013
Are you admitting to the fact that you provided a false information
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Babadeen(m): 6:37pm On Oct 12, 2013
Shyeikul islam1: Are you admitting to the fact that you provided a false information

no....read my comment again....I said that my links are fine. Surely, you saw one from the bbc.

I ask you again- how did islam come to Nigeria?

If you cant answer the question, then there is no point engaging you
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 13, 2013
why not her from the horse mouth not wikipedia.
a historyof how islam came to ngeria.

[http://dawahnigeria.com/articles/history/how-islaam-came-nigeria]
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Babadeen(m): 5:28pm On Oct 13, 2013
ibit-abid-qudrt:
why not her from the horse mouth not wikipedia.
a historyof how islam came to ngeria.

[http://dawahnigeria.com/articles/history/how-islaam-came-nigeria]

Which horses mouth? A blog post written in 2013 with no reliable sources?

#Gerrout and take your bs with you
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Cheers01: 4:00pm On May 29, 2019
Kai. Islam and slavery
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Cheers01: 7:27am On May 30, 2019
Cheers01:
Kai. Islam and slavery

Empiree, how far?
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Empiree: 8:56am On May 30, 2019
Cheers01:

Empi.ree, how far?
not too far, LOL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of New Jummat Mosque Built By Igbo Muslims In Owerri / Eid Ul Fitri: Barka Da Sallah / Saudi Prince Blames African Pilgrims For The Stampede In Mecca

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.