Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,425 members, 7,808,521 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria (37587 Views)

10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / 8 Professions That Makes It Hard For Ladies To Get Husband / Professions Whose Graduates Get Jobs Easily In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by swiftycool(m): 12:41pm On Aug 10, 2012
Years ago every university graduate whatever the descipline was seen as one with potentials to excel and commanded respect from all; literates and illiterates alike. However, overtime and presently in Nigeria perhaps due to socio-economic as well as technological trends some professions have become isolated as a waste of time or ridiculed as not having an easy chance for prosperity in the country, while others hitherto unknown are presently shinning and lucrative in todays Nigerian environment.

Now my question is which do you think is the most ridiculed profession in Nigeria today or which profession has fallen from grace to grass and why do u say or think so?

Thanks for enligthening replies. . . .
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by swiftycool(m): 7:34pm On Aug 10, 2012
Personally I think law has fallen mightily from grace to grass in Naija. Many people used to see lawyers as biggest boys and girls but today its the reverse. I realised that while @uni most of us dirty scruffy looking students back then in Built environment and engineering were made to look insignificant but today most of the law undergrads then, even the senior ones presently earn less than 1/2 our monthly income despite working in some of the best private firms! So sad.

So here's a list of my percieved currently most ridiculed professions.
1. LaW
2. philosophy
3. Zoology
4. Marketing
5. Banking and finance(contested by every single profession)

Feel free to add urs or reject mine grin

15 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by violent(m): 10:24pm On Aug 10, 2012
What sense or enlightening replies are you hoping to gain with a thread that lacks even these qualities you asked for? This section, i was told, was created for people seeking help with their career choices. As in any case, a nice well construed and meaningful humor is welcomed by people most of the time...but a thread that is solely opened just so someone with a little brain and a little ego could brag around and get his full is just distasteful!

In a country where more than 60 percent are out of jobs and young school leavers are struggling to make a choice on their career, i will recommend you stay up all night counting your stars if you've got a job that pays a steady income in the first place. Coming online to tell the rest of us that you consider Philosophy or Banking a rubbish profession and below your feet, may make some people consider you a brainless Oaf!

96 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by swiftycool(m): 6:39am On Aug 11, 2012
^^^ sorry if I hit u below the belt by mentioning ur profession there, its not that am gloating at you cos u are broke. I just thought it was wise to help people know, especially d younger ones to make better choices in choosing a career. Many of us were misled in earlier days to get into careers without prospects just becos they sounded great on the jamb bronchure, while some others were able to reinvent their careers to becoming more relevant.

With this thread, my purpose was not to make u look useless really but to make u realise what people think of ur line and perhaps do something different to make it count and most importantly to prove it wrong by telling them of some new dimensions it has or is taking.

If u feel so bad about this and think its a direct attack on u. Just shut up and do nothing, maybe it would help people think about the true facts better tongue

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by dyoung4(m): 9:03am On Aug 11, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]
swiftycool: Personally I think law has fallen mightily from grace to grass in Naija. Many people used to see lawyers as biggest boys and girls but today its the reverse. I realised that while @uni most of us dirty scruffy looking students back then in Built environment and engineering were made to look insignificant but today most of the law undergrads then, even the senior ones presently earn less than 1/2 our monthly income despite working in some of the best private firms! So sad.

1. LaW
2. philosophy
3. Zoology
4. Marketing
Feel free to add urs or reject mine
6. Political science
grin
swiftycool: Personally I think law has fallen mightily from grace to grass in Naija. Many people used to see lawyers as biggest boys and girls but today its the reverse. I realised that while @uni most of us dirty scruffy looking students back then in Built environment and engineering were made to look insignificant but today most of the law undergrads then, even the senior ones presently earn less than 1/2 our monthly income despite working in some of the best private firms! So sad.

1. LaW
2. philosophy
3. Zoology
4. Marketing

1. LaW
2. philosophy
3. Zoology
4. Marketing

[s][/s]
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by tpia5: 9:45am On Aug 11, 2012
joke section plz.

what is wrong with people these days?

or is it the internet which is disclosing the mindsets that used to be hidden before?

8 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by violent(m): 9:50am On Aug 11, 2012
@OP

You just appear to slid through each time i lower the standards for idiocy!

Nothing describes an Oaf more than the thinking of an individual who immediately assumes that certain jobs most be considered rubbish because "even senior lawyers back in those days now earn less than 1/2 our monthly income". Geez!...do you really make life changing decisions based on shallow thoughts as this?

I wondered if someone cared enough to educate your little brain whilst making career decisions that your choices must be made based on where your interests lie, what it is you intend to do for living and the resources available for you to achieve the future you wanted....and not on what other people considered careers with/without "prospects" or "ridiculed" professions.

I'm convinced without doubts that brainless beer parlor conversations as this are reasons for thriving cancerous perceptions that young people should take up careers that pays the most, or the ones that are most famous and clearly not ones that defines them or their abilities.

If the likes of Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achube listened to Oafs during their days, they may have ended up becoming frustrated Medical doctors or Pilots rather than the high achieving Icons they are and the legacies that will forever follow their names. Clearly, Oafs must always be defeated if people were to go after their dreams.

And just so i may make it clear, the fact that i found your post stu[i]p[/i]id does not necessarily mean I am bitter about the contents. It's simply what it is, stu[i]p[/i]id!

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by tpia5: 9:54am On Aug 11, 2012
see thread title?

Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria

smh.

who would like to bet the op is one of those "coders" "programmers" "entry level hackers" wey full here?

the arrogance is unbelievable.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by violent(m): 9:58am On Aug 11, 2012
^^

LoL

Imagine the poster's puerile, senile insensible attempt at educating "younger ones" into making career choices. I wondered if he was sitting is dumb arse at home unemployed and feeding on dad's salary, he would have still considered certain jobs as ridiculed and rubbished.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by swiftycool(m): 2:09pm On Aug 11, 2012
Violent ooooo, its like u are getting me wrong. And ill just try once more to see if I can find the intelligent part of u, if it exists. My title is most rubbished or ridiculed careers in Naija, not the whole world Note! But in present day Niaija.
Let's be realistic now and not desperate to gain points with readers 4 a change.
At a point in every nations development, there are certain professionals that r required to enable the Nation achieve the expected results in record time.

Now I called some jobs "rubbished" not that I think personally that they are rubbish, but that the Nigerian environment has turned them out to be that way because they are grossly undervalued.

Lawyers work very hard to achieve what they become yet they are not treated well or rewarded properly 4 what they are. Medicine is respected and rightly so maybe because they stand up for their rights and ensure their due. This was same with teachers and even lecturers till lately after strikes and fights to ensure they aren't rubbished by the nation.

Now be sincere would u ask a young one to go all out to read banking and finance in a Uni or Marketing when almost anybody especially those good in gmats are rapidly getting into it with any degree? I say d degree has been rubbished because they are given no preference over others in the job hence what was the point, same goes for marketing.

In Nigeria today, I don't think ill really have to explain why a father would be worried about a son graduating in philosophy or zoology.

I am an employer of labour and in my sector, I try to get people with at least some transferable skills and I know what am talking about. So its not about gloating, its a clear warning to those in such lines to better start thinking of an alternative to success in these times.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by swiftycool(m): 2:21pm On Aug 11, 2012
Having said the above, I believe if people in a line of career who know their importance to the nation form a union and demand laws be set regarding how they are treated, they might just get their careers back to a point of value. [size=18pt]this is one of the purposes of this post[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by yemmyma: 2:24pm On Aug 11, 2012
Risible posts
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by bookface: 3:36pm On Aug 11, 2012
Now my question is which do you think is the most ridiculed profession in Nigeria today or which profession has fallen from grace to grass

Such despicable arrogance. How dare you even describe a certain career as fallen from grace to grass? what an act of gloating.

My dad was a lawyer for many years till he retired recently. He still finds so much pride in the things he used to do and places the tenets of the profession in high regard. What a contemptuous fellow you must be to describe a lifestyle he holds so dear as fallen from grace to grass?

Yes Banking and Finance may not be as highly paid as it used to be simply because the sector is taking a hit, but if not for an act of self glorification, i see no reason why some empty headed goat like you must describe what another person considers a way of life a ridiculed profession. each person to their way of life. If you don't like bankers or have a disdain for lawyers then stay away from banks and stay out of courts. Those who take up those jobs and who do well at it do so because they enjoy what they do. If you enjoy what you do as well or even better paid, then don't piss on others.

And no, we get the purpose of your post from onset. You were just in for the fun of it. I bet all you wanted is to get a good laugh and find a reason to buy yourself a cookie for being the lucky donkey who had a great job.

26 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by tpia5: 3:51pm On Aug 11, 2012
the poster must be a jarus protege. undecided

1 Like

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 4:37pm On Aug 11, 2012
tpia@:
the poster must be a jarus protege. undecided
You and jarus, wetin the guy do you now? Chai!

1 Like

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 6:20pm On Aug 11, 2012
*sigh*.
and people say AjanleKoko dey vex. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 6:21pm On Aug 11, 2012
@OP,
chop belleful first before coming on here to write about useless professions angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by sawyer89: 6:26pm On Aug 11, 2012
Hmm! Fire on the mountain......;-)
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by kreamstaff: 6:30pm On Aug 11, 2012
The op has a point, the situation in Nigeria today has actually devalued many a profession. Take teaching for example as the writer rightly mentioned. Though it is a noble profession, teachers were "rubbished and ridiculed" for years to the point that it became embarrassing to tell people u teach. I was formerly a teacher in my hey days and I know how many times we went on strikes to ensure we got our due and rose from being rubbished by the Nigerian people. At least today teachers are better paid because of that.

Presently I work in HR. and its quite sad to see the amounts offered by companies for certain professions despite their relevance. If I understand the op, he is saying society today has rubbished some Professions and its left for such professions to prove their relevance and place a value on their products.

Many companies ask me to get them a graduate lawyer to earn 20k, while a fresh HND electrical engineer was offered circa 60 to 70k. Isn't that a societal ridicule on the law profession? Despite all their pain. Frankly I think peoples anger is misdirected at the op, rather he should be lauded for speaking out about these anomalies.

My two cents.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 6:51pm On Aug 11, 2012
kreamstaff: The op has a point, the situation in Nigeria today has actually devalued many a profession. Take teaching for example as the writer rightly mentioned. Though it is a noble profession, teachers were "rubbished and ridiculed" for years to the point that it became embarrassing to tell people u teach. I was formerly a teacher in my hey days and I know how many times we went on strikes to ensure we got our due and rose from being rubbished by the Nigerian people. At least today teachers are better paid because of that.

Presently I work in HR. and its quite sad to see the amounts offered by companies for certain professions despite their relevance. If I understand the op, he is saying society today has rubbished some Professions and its left for such professions to prove their relevance and place a value on their products.

Many companies ask me to get them a graduate lawyer to earn 20k, while a fresh HND electrical engineer was offered circa 60 to 70k. Isn't that a societal ridicule on the law profession? Despite all their pain. Frankly I think peoples anger is misdirected at the op, rather he should be lauded for speaking out about these anomalies.

My two cents.

I read the post like OP was gloating that his profession is not one of the 'most ridiculed and rubbished'. I might be wrong; read it again and see.

1 Like

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by kreamstaff: 8:16pm On Aug 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I read the post like OP was gloating that his profession is not one of the 'most ridiculed and rubbished'. I might be wrong; read it again and see.

Yeah I feel you, I have observed that the op usually comes up with some strong points at times but has a crazy way of making people accept the bitter pill without considering their sensitivity to the facts.

The truth is that Nigerian professionals need to stand up and guard their professions maintaining its dignity, so that every tom, dik and harry can't get into it anyhow. What do you think would happen to Banking/finance graduates if it was the main prerequisite for a banking job bankers won't be easily hired and fired daily as it is today?
Or what would it be like if the law profession recommended that every law graduate earn minimum of say 80k knowing they spent 7 though years getting qualified?( Pharmacists have a similar law) Do you think any body would have the gutts to call them "Charge and bail" as they presently do?

Please let's remove sentiments and face the real facts, this is a good thread with serious issues for today's career planners and professional bodies.
That said, op I suggest you apologise for your insensitive approach on the matter.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by yommy2sure(m): 8:30pm On Aug 11, 2012
wow the temperature here is rising, lets bring it down pls. I think the @op has a point just like others have noted, but he painted it in the wrong colours. Plus I think many employers are basically looking for 'smart' people these days. People who can learn fast and build interest even if the line of business is alien to the candidate's background, but ofcourse they do have preference for those they judged to have gone through some rigorous training. Maybe thats why engineers are found almost everywhere. I personally believe that one shouldnt just be limited to one's degree but be open as much as possible.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Shock(m): 8:32pm On Aug 11, 2012
^^

OP's thread is clearly a poor miscalculated attempt at self glorification and gloating. I'm not sure how it's possible to see it in any other manner. His reference to "some big boys of those days who now earn less than he does" infers that he's now getting highly paid and will like to poke fun at people who are not as lucky as him. Sometimes, threads like this works finely on Nairaland, and other times, it doesn't. This time, it's not working, and the OP has simply attempted a damaged control by screaming "You are all getting me wrong".

He sounds like Mitt Romney to me.

6 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by swiftycool(m): 9:01pm On Aug 11, 2012
Shock:

^^

OP's thread is clearly a poor miscalculated attempt at self glorification and gloating. I'm not sure how it's possible to see it in any other manner. His reference to "some big boys of those days who now earn less than he does" infers that he's now getting highly paid and will like to poke fun at people who are not as lucky as him. Sometimes, threads like this works finely on Nairaland, and other times, it doesn't. This time, it's not working, and the OP has simply attempted a damaged control by screaming "You are all getting me wrong".

He sounds like Mitt Romney to me.
YOU R GETTING ME ALL WROOOONG!!!!! grin grin grin and am not mitty roney
Sista,to be honest I actually used the analogy without thinking of the sensitivity of the issue in that way and also to get the discussion to become more personal and flowing amongst those who are or have been in uni to witness same, but then again, you sometimes need some element of controversy, attack or shock to get the traffic you want on a NL thread, that was why I hit out with the next post after no replies for a long while And it worked. grin

Well the ridicule is not from me really, I came to meet expressions like charge and bail, teachers' rewards are in heaven, waka for commission etc and I just figured its worth discussing the ridiculing of jobs, the reasons, the palliatives and perhaps briging something positive out of it. Yet I can't be. Too serious on any thread and like to put in some humor. Its A pity it racked some nerves however sad sad sad didn't mean to

6 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by dkdigits(m): 11:39pm On Aug 11, 2012
If u were a doctor in naija maybe I wud have understood the arrogance, at least it wud be justified, considering the fact that the find it easier 2 get jobs than the average nigerian graduate, and de are also better paid than most. But engineers don't share dis privilege, so bro wot informs ur position? The fact dat u might be employed? Anybody can get a good payin job in naija regardless of profession.
Wot percentage of nigerian engineers are employed by oil companies? 10 percent? Maybe less? Aint de d only ones dat pay fabulous? Hope ur not beatin ur chest cos ur earnin 75k monthy while ur friend in school dat studied law and used 2 oppress u wit his crisp white and black is earning 45k monthy oh...cos ur both in d same shoes. Victims of naija economy. Mind u, am not a lawyer.

7 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by swiftycool(m): 5:49am On Aug 12, 2012
^^^ hahahaha! Bros don't overwork yourself o. I run my own company and I am way past those levels o, I have 8 staff on my payroll including 3 graduates. 2 I pay a constant salary and 1 I pay on contract agreement basis on jobs we do. So don't even go there at all. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by deenee: 7:43am On Aug 12, 2012
@ Aj, violent, bookface et.al, why avail the poster with undue attention?
I will suggest that his thread be ignored whilst attention and positive energy is channeled towards others herein that genuinely need them.

By doing this, his original post will become less relevant, get lost in the pile of similar posts and eventually fall through the cracks!

"Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria" indeed!

3 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by swiftycool(m): 7:52pm On Aug 12, 2012
deenee: @ Aj, violent, bookface et.al, why avail the poster with undue attention?
I will suggest that his thread be ignored whilst attention and positive energy is channeled towards others herein that genuinely need them.

By doing this, his original post will become less relevant, get lost in the pile of similar posts and eventually fall through the cracks!

"Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria" indeed!
tongue grin
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by kreamstaff: 9:12pm On Aug 13, 2012
I believe the most rubbished profession in Nigeria presently is the POLICE and reduced to that level by the officers themselves, especially after the rubbish I experienced today.

5 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 27, 2012
swiftcool, first of all, u dont know wat ur talking about as regards law and the oda professions u mentioned. 2ndly, i thing u av self esteem problems.

4 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 27, 2012
by d way, y do ppl always have dis beef against law students/graduates Very one kyn.

6 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:31pm On Aug 27, 2012
What is a useless career? There are poorly paid doctors and well paid lawyers.
There are well paid writers and poorly paid architects.

It's silly when people generalize.
What can you make of your career? That is the question.

A graduate of fine arts will turn out to be a renowned artist, who exhibits his work round the world.
On the other hand, a doctor may remain too lazy to specialize and spend his life being a GP operating from an obscure hospital.

A career is what you make of it.
No such thing as a ridiculed profession!

38 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand / I Want To Quit My Banking Job / Is ICAN As It Is Now Overrated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.