Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,196 members, 7,807,671 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt (23229 Views)

Carl Ikeme Shares Photo With His Daughter / Carl Ikeme With His Wife & Two Children (Photo) / Carl Ikeme, Super Eagles Goalkeeper Set To Replace Enyeama (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by djewella: 7:41pm On Aug 10, 2012
American Lewis is the only other man to win two Olympic 100m gold medals, the second coming in 1988 when he was promoted from second place after the disqualification of Ben Johnson.

He won the 200m in 1984 but managed only silver four years later. He did, however, have a remarkable run of success in the long jump, winning that event in four successive Games for a tally of nine golds in all.

In the wake of Bolt's triple-gold record success in Beijing Lewis was quick to point the finger of suspicion at him and Jamaica in general.

"I think there are some issues," he said at the time.

"Countries like Jamaica do not have a random (drugs testing) program, so they can go months without being tested. I'm not saying anyone is on anything, but everyone needs to be on a level playing field.

"I'm not saying they've done anything for certain. I don't know. But how dare anybody feel that there shouldn't be scrutiny, especially in our sport?" He has continued to fire broadsides ever since but Bolt, now with his sprinting record unquestionably superior, hit back.

"I'm going to say something controversial right now, Carl Lewis - I have no respect for him," Bolt said, having cited 1936 quadruple champion Jesse Owens as a man he held in the highest regard.

"The things he (Lewis) says about the track athletes, it's really downgrading for another athlete to be saying something like that about other athletes.

"I think he is just looking for attention really because nobody really talks much about him. It was really sad for me when I heard the other day what he was saying, it was upsetting.

"So, for me, I've lost all respect for him, all respect.

"It was all about drugs, about drugs stuff for me. For an athlete to be out of the sport saying that was really upsetting for me. As far as I am concerned he is just looking for attention."

Lewis tested positive three times for a stimulant before the 1988 Games but had the results overturned by American officials.

He was named "Athlete of the 20th Century" by the IOC, the IAAF, and American magazine Sports Illustrated and has always seemed uncomfortable with the idea that someone from the 21st century could surpass his achievements.

Asked before the London Games what he thought of Bolt, he said: "It's just... interesting.

"I watch the results like everyone else and wait... for time to tell."

Even after Bolt won his second 100m title, Lewis's congratulations were wrapped in barbed wire.

"He repeats and he's tremendous and he's the second person to do it and congratulations," he said last week.

"The thing for me, what I really admire about anyone, is longevity. We still have to have the longevity and dominance through the era because for me performance-wise, you really have to put longevity in.

"I'm really not trying to take anything away from his performance because it was tremendous, but you've got to see the consistency over a period of time because as of now it's just a four-year period and you really have to see a continuous dominance.

"We'll see."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/bolt-respect-carl-lewis-drug-slurs-234538050.html
Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by chic2pimp(m): 8:40pm On Aug 10, 2012
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL @ DRUGS CHEAT CARL LEWIS HAVING A POP @ USAIN BOLT

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by jude33084(m): 10:57pm On Aug 10, 2012
They are Jealous oh! cheesy
Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 10, 2012
Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by Kpimp: 11:03pm On Aug 10, 2012
usain bolt all the way
Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by PhysicsQED(m): 11:05pm On Aug 10, 2012
Somebody get Carl Lewis some tissue to dry his eyes. He's sounding real salty.

2 Likes

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by 2goodbobo(m): 11:05pm On Aug 10, 2012
I just hope and they won't set Usain Bolt up someday cos I smile envy.

2 Likes

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by ebamma(m): 11:06pm On Aug 10, 2012
bolt bolter boltest,

3 Likes

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by Nuzo1(m): 11:07pm On Aug 10, 2012
Recently, Carl Lewis has been leading a team of smear campaigners against Bolt and his boys.

Dude should allow young men to enjoy the glory of their talent and hard work. Things change and that includes records. We should learn to live with it.

1 Like

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by ebamma(m): 11:07pm On Aug 10, 2012
okay usain bolt,i too will lose all respect i have for you when i hear that you have tested positive to steroids

3 Likes

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by Nobody: 11:10pm On Aug 10, 2012
there was a time that carl lewis used drugs also... so why his he acting like a saint!

1 Like

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by profola2be(m): 11:12pm On Aug 10, 2012
united state of America and its (PHDS)
PULL HIM DOWN SYNDROM.
Whenever another country overtake them in what they are known for,all they will want to do is to DANGOTE(LIZE) that country.
why,USA,WHY?
life na TURN BY TURN O,My brother.
yesterday,you reign,today its bolt that is reigning,tomorrow,it will be another person's turn to reign again.
either you like it or not,just like your case,Mr Lewis,Usain Bolt case will also be,ONCE UPOM A TIME,THERE WAS AN ATHLETE,WHOSE NAME WAS ..............!

25 Likes

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by cap28: 11:12pm On Aug 10, 2012
Carl Lewis sounds really desperate and pathetic - why can't he give way to the majesty of Usain Bolt?

1 Like

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by diki1(m): 11:13pm On Aug 10, 2012
Blacks with there pull him down syndrom
Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by cap28: 11:18pm On Aug 10, 2012
This is why i respect the american sprinter michael johnson - he is super competitive but even he had to acknowledge the superiority of Usain Bolt, there is nothing like humility - be gracious enough to acknowledge and respect those with superior talent.

2 Likes

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by moderatorr: 11:21pm On Aug 10, 2012
To Di World!

1 Like

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by Accipetex(m): 11:23pm On Aug 10, 2012
Dis carl lewis z insane o, wots wrong wit americans sef. Upon say dia iluminati athelets don cari most london medals, nawao mtcheeeeew undecidedDis carl lewis z insane o, wots wrong wit americans sef. Upon say dia iluminati athelets don cari most london medals, nawao mtcheeeeew

1 Like

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by aieromon(m): 11:23pm On Aug 10, 2012
Its all Usain Bolt now.

Carl Lewis better get used to this or pray harder for stiff competition from the Americans.
Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by moderatorr: 11:23pm On Aug 10, 2012
Carl Lewis should . . .

6 Likes

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by wasiudvd(m): 11:25pm On Aug 10, 2012
Pull him down or not, all od em r cheat. Time will tell.
Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by gistme24(m): 11:28pm On Aug 10, 2012
Why do some retired athletes get a hard on when a younger athlete is close to surpassing their records:
Pele With Messi, now Carl lewis with Bolt..

Can't they just be as gracious as Seb Coe who went out of his way to help Rudisha cement his name as probably the best in the 800M, or Michael Johnson whom many athletes still thank for his impart on their career.

3 Likes

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by tellwisdom: 11:34pm On Aug 10, 2012
..who is cat lewis?? A book writer?

1 Like

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by emiye(m): 11:37pm On Aug 10, 2012
Carl lewis really bleeped up.

There is difference between diplomacy talk and bedroom talk.
Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by TawaTemi1(f): 11:38pm On Aug 10, 2012
I know something like this will come up but never suspect Carl Lewis to come up with the idea. Anyway, in order to prove that he is drug free,Usain Bolt should or rather must submit himself for a drug test. Afterall, he is a World Champion.
Are u kidding me,the fastest man in the world!
Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by A40(m): 11:41pm On Aug 10, 2012
Beef doggy dogg! These american drug cheats are just mad that they've been dethroned. Carl Lewis is a phocking disgrace

2 Likes

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by Nobody: 11:44pm On Aug 10, 2012

19 Likes

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by honeric01(m): 12:00am On Aug 11, 2012
ooseven: Enemies of progress. A Chinese girl broke the world record in swimming, they all screamed DRUGS. The poor girl was unable to enjoy her success. Usain Bolt and co did a 1.2.3, they are still screaming DRUGS!!!! However, when their flying squirrel won gold in Gymnastics, we no here word. Even CNN interview im mama and foster mama, Procter and gamble use them do advert. Its all well and good now that they are No1 at the rankings, if it was China, they would have started showing "propagandic" videos of the Chinese rigorous training regime for kids.

Their arrogance is going to be their downfall

4 Likes

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by Nobody: 12:02am On Aug 11, 2012
ooseven: Enemies of progress. A Chinese girl broke the world record in swimming, they all screamed DRUGS. The poor girl was unable to enjoy her success. Usain Bolt and co did a 1.2.3, they are still screaming DRUGS!!!! However, when their flying squirrel won gold in Gymnastics, we no here word. Even CNN interview im mama and foster mama, Procter and gamble use them do advert. Its all well and good now that they are No1 at the rankings, if it was China, they would have started showing "propagandic" videos of the Chinese rigorous training regime for kids.

Lol, very true. Carl Lewis is a loudmouth anyway.

3 Likes

Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by SirJohn(m): 12:05am On Aug 11, 2012
Na winsh na him dey know winsh!
Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by CeaserB: 12:05am On Aug 11, 2012
Life Is Filled With Saints and Sinners.
Carl Lewis In My Own Book Is A Saint Turned Sinner.
No Respect Lost From Me Though.
Once Great, Remains Great In History.
Re: No Respect For Carl Lewis - Usain Bolt by dadicvila(m): 12:16am On Aug 11, 2012
Tawa-Temi:
I know something like this will come up but never suspect Carl Lewis to come up with the idea. Anyway, in order to prove that he is drug free,Usain Bolt should or rather must submit himself for a drug test. Afterall, he is a World Champion.
Are u kidding me,the fastest man in the world!
is there an existing court injunction stopping them 4rm testing him for banned substance??what do u mean by submit himself?please i dont get you oO!Do u after taking 1st in school walk straight to the principal's office asking him to subject you to further exams??please we should learn to talk sensibly

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bayern Munich Dock The Wages Of Five Unvaccinated Players ( Pics) / DOWNLOAD VIDEO: Real Madrid 0 – 4 Barcelona [la Liga] Highlights 2015/16 / NEPA Interrupt Power During Ghana Players Training Session Inside Abuja Stadium

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.