Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,094 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

"I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" (7984 Views)

I Will Become A Christian If..... / You Cannot Be A Christian If You Have Not Met Jesus Christ / Are You A Christian If You Don't Believe Every Bible Story? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by Patsey: 3:26am On Aug 11, 2012
Gandhi Rejected by Christians

Mahatma Gandhi, the renowned leader of the people of India, in seeking to overthrow British colonial rule of his native land, was an avid reader. Although a Hindu, in his quest for freedom, he read the four Christian Gospels. He wanted to know more about Jesus of Nazareth. In his reading of the Gospels, Gandhi was impressed with this man whom Christians worship and follow. Where could he find out more about this Jesus whom Christians refer to as "the Christ - the Messiah?"

One Sunday morning Gandhi decided that he would visit one of the Christian churches in Calcutta. Upon seeking entrance to the church sanctuary, he was stopped at the door by the ushers. The ushers told him that he was not welcome, nor would he be permitted to attend this particular church as it was for 'high caste' Indians and 'whites' only. He was neither 'high caste', nor was he British. Because of the rejection by this church, 'the Mahatma' turned his back on Christianity. With this act, Gandhi rejected the Christian faith, never again to consider the claims of Christ! He was 'turned-off' by the sin of segregation that was practiced by the church. Gandhi later declared, "I'd be a Christian if it were not for the Christians!"

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
SOURCE: http://christiangays.com/articles/gandhi.shtml

In various, varied and variegated ways, Christians remain the sole hindrance for million others to become Christians. No sermonising and such gibberish as "every individual shall stand before the judgement throne!" Let's talk sense, views that can withstand intellectual scrutiny, shall we?
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by StanleyDivine(m): 8:11am On Aug 11, 2012
@Patsey.. I don't intend to hold brief 4 xtians but 2 point out an erroneous assumption by both u n Gandhi dat evry churchgoer is a xtian. Dat is a fallacy of hasty generalization.
Why wud a highly lettered Gandhi,out of curiosity n not d determination 2 convert 2 xtianity,chose 2 attend a “church” clearly stated “out of bound” 4 his class? I think he had an ulterior motive. Weren't dia other churches where d same gospel was preached? Dia is an error in his thought process when he declared “I liKe ur Christ,I do not like ur xtians..” To be a xtian,one MUST be CHRISTLIKE. Otherwise d person is just a churchgoer as Gandhi wanted to be.

1 Like

Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by tpia5: 9:15am On Aug 11, 2012
what are we supposed to do with this information?

does it reduce the price of cassava bread?
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by Patsey: 11:56am On Aug 11, 2012
Stanley Divine: @Patsey.. I don't intend to hold brief 4 xtians but 2 point out an erroneous assumption by both u n Gandhi dat evry churchgoer is a xtian. Dat is a fallacy of hasty generalization.
Why wud a highly lettered Gandhi,out of curiosity n not d determination 2 convert 2 xtianity,chose 2 attend a “church” clearly stated “out of bound” 4 his class? I think he had an ulterior motive. Weren't dia other churches where d same gospel was preached? Dia is an error in his thought process when he declared “I liKe ur Christ,I do not like ur xtians..” To be a xtian,one MUST be CHRISTLIKE. Otherwise d person is just a churchgoer as Gandhi wanted to be.

[b]Christians are supposed to be "Christ-like", right? Do you think in your mind that if the most lettered person came to Jesus, irrespective of his/her ulterior motive, Jesus will send such person(s) packing? Secondly, the church, in theological terms, is not the building but the body of Christ, and to quote the hymn-poet: "In Christ there is no East or West, In Him no South or North; But one great fellowship of love, Throughout the whole wide earth." In view of this, and in view of my earlier question, also in view of the fact that Christ, as Christians claim, died for all (irrespective of their class, gender, sexuality and race) do you think any church (the body of Christ) should be out of bounds for any category, class or caste of people? Any difference between this and a Baptist congregation in America which , even in the 21st century CE, refused to marry a black couple on the account that, since its inception, no black couple had ever been allowed to tie knot in that church building? Am simply amazed at you playing a devil's advocate in this matter. [/b]
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by StanleyDivine(m): 1:49pm On Aug 11, 2012
Patsey:

[b]Christians are supposed to be "Christ-like", right? Do you think in your mind that if the most lettered person came to Jesus, irrespective of his/her ulterior motive, Jesus will send such person(s) packing? Secondly, the church, in theological terms, is not the building but the body of Christ, and to quote the hymn-poet: "In Christ there is no East or West, In Him no South or North; But one great fellowship of love, Throughout the whole wide earth." In view of this, and in view of my earlier question, also in view of the fact that Christ, as Christians claim, died for all (irrespective of their class, gender, sexuality and race) do you think any church (the body of Christ) should be out of bounds for any category, class or caste of people? Any difference between this and a Baptist congregation in America which , even in the 21st century CE, refused to marry a black couple on the account that, since its inception, no black couple had ever been allowed to tie knot in that church building? Am simply amazed at you playing a devil's advocate in this matter. [/b]
@Patsey..The answers 2 ur questions re implied in my 1st comment. Gandhi out of wat cud pass 4 political curiosity mistook a socio-political organization 4 a church.D structure was a misnomer 4 church cos d congregation did not constitute d body of Christ. I'm nt playin d devil's advocate. If Gandhi had d zeal to meet wt christ,he cud ve located one. He was simply playing politics disguised in d cloak of religion.
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by engrtee(f): 2:35pm On Aug 11, 2012
I totaly agree. Christians are nöt behavin lyk christ. We preach christ wit our lips but our hearts are far from him. We dont act lyk christ.

As christians b4 we do anything we must first ourself. IF CHRIST WERE FACED WIT DIS ISSUE, WHAT WOULD HE DO? Christ wil never as anybody out of his teaching.not even a herbalist.the doctor comes for the sick.christ came for the sinner
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 27, 2016
Hello to all.

It is incorrect in my view to say that Christians are unlike Christ. If someone is not like Christ, how is he a christian in the first place? Being a religious man is different from being a Christian. And being a Christian has nothing to do with attending a church, a denomination or a religious mouvement.

In addition, it is also wrong in my sensing to infer that Ghandi rejected the Christian faith, just because he turned his back to Christendom and denominations. Jesus did not create any denomination nor religion, and thus, no one needs to be a member/adherent of these to follow Christ.

A Christian is one that submit to the teaching of Christ. It is God's business to judge and evaluate if Ghandi was a Christian or not.

Cheerful greetings to all.
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by tpiaobsession: 4:29pm On Jan 27, 2016
like i was telling joagbaje, encourage your followers to worship Christ, not you.
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by BodyKiss(m): 4:53pm On Jan 27, 2016
StanleyDivine:
@Patsey.. I don't intend to hold brief 4 xtians but 2 point out an erroneous assumption by both u n Gandhi dat evry churchgoer is a xtian. Dat is a fallacy of hasty generalization.

@ the emboldened, another bad characteristic of a Christian. Denying their own when they goof.
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by Weah96: 5:52pm On Jan 27, 2016
Patsey:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
SOURCE: http://christiangays.com/articles/gandhi.shtml

He didn't elaborate on the exact traits and attributes that he found attractive in the Jesus character. If Jesus is God, then it's idiotic not to obey the Bible. We know that he didn't live his life according to the Bible, so it's reasonable to presume that he didn't believe that Jesus was God.
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by tpiaobsession: 6:01pm On Jan 27, 2016
BodyKiss:

@ the emboldened, another bad characteristic of a Christian. Denying their own when they goof.

Christians do not deny their own if they goof, its just that many Christian operate on a cabal basis, and if you are not in their cabal, then everything you do is considered a goof.

But if you are one of their cabal, then you can do no wrong unless you are being replaced.

basically, just same ol same ol which is common everywhere.

It all depends on the strength of your supporters.
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 27, 2016
Weah96:
If Jesus is God, then it's idiotic not to obey the Bible. We know that he didn't live his life according to the Bible, so it's reasonable to presume that he didn't believe that Jesus was God.
Hello Weah96. What is the relationship between Jesus being God and living one's life according to the Bible? Is the Bible the same thing as Jesus?

Speaking about the Bible, which one are you referring to? The one with 66 books? 73? 77? Is the Torah included?? the epistles of Paul? The apocrypha?

Weah96:
We know that he didn't live his life according to the Bible, so it's reasonable to presume that he didn't believe that Jesus was God.
Again I see no relationship between both. One may follow Jesus, without following the Bible. Another one may follow the Bible without following Jesus.

Greetings.
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by Weah96: 8:37pm On Jan 27, 2016
LoJ:

Hello Weah96. What is the relationship between Jesus being God and living one's life according to the Bible? Is the Bible the same thing as Jesus?

Speaking about the Bible, which one are you referring to? The one with 66 books? 73? 77? Is the Torah included?? the epistles of Paul? The apocrypha?

Again I see no relationship between both. One may follow Jesus, without following the Bible. Another one may follow the Bible without following Jesus.

Greetings.

How do you follow Jesus without also following the Bible?
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 27, 2016
Weah96:
How do you follow Jesus without also following the Bible?
By seeking, knowing and applying his message with your heart? By loving your neighbor as yourself? By keeping the heart of your thoughts pure? By being taught and guided by angels and divine messengers? By learning to recognize the laws of God in the whole creation? By a combination of all/some of these?

How does Malia Obama know her Father Pres. B. Obama, without reading any book speaking about him? Maybe by spending time with him?

Greetings.
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by Emperor4God(m): 10:51pm On Jan 27, 2016
FOOLISH MAN, DONT CARS HAVE ACCIDENTS

HAVE YOU STOPPED ENTERING CARS?

THE BIBLE SAYS BELIEVE IN JESUS NOT MAN!
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by Weah96: 12:34pm On Jan 28, 2016
LoJ:

How does Malia Obama know her Father Pres. B. Obama, without reading any book speaking about him? Maybe by spending time with him?

Greetings.

Now you're being disingenuous. Obama is a human being, Jesus is an invisible spirit figure that no one sees with their eyes. Is it possible to spend time with an invisible AND inaudible spirit person?
Re: "I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 28, 2016
Weah96:
Now you're being disingenuous. Obama is a human being, Jesus is an invisible spirit figure that no one sees with their eyes. Is it possible to spend time with an invisible AND inaudible spirit person?

I do not share the belief that Jesus is an inaudible and invisible spirit person.

If Jesus is inaudible and invisible, why believe in a book that speaks about an invisible person? Why don't you believe also in books about the flying horse? The flying spaghetti? They are as well invisible and inaudible.

Jesus is pretty much audible, although not with human ears. Just as viruses may seem invisible, until the appropriate tool is used to see them. Our heart contains the antennae to seek and find the Truth and connect to Jesus.

Besides, the Bible was written many centuries after Jesus left. How did people served God without the Bible during those hundreds of years? It is said that Noah, Henoch and others were spiritual men/prophets. How did they manage to be prophets without the Bible? What did they have that we do not have today, to the extend that we are now obliged to limit ourselves to the Bible?

Finally, how do people do in localities were there was/ there are no Bible? e.g. North Korea, Tibet, Africa before colonization etc. Are all these people condemned just because of unavailability of the Bible?

On a side note, You are entitled to attribute to me any adjective that pleases you, be it disingenuous or others. As for me, I take no offense and try to regard you with love and respect.

Cheerful greetings.

(1) (Reply)

How Mighty Is The Almighty God? / I Want To Convert To A Muslim / Which Hymn Or Song Represents The True Essence Of Christianity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.