Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,130 members, 7,900,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 04:32 AM

Ideas Pls On What To Give To Mum After Omuguo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ideas Pls On What To Give To Mum After Omuguo (3583 Views)

Meaning Of "Omuguo" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ideas Pls On What To Give To Mum After Omuguo by igbi: 5:57pm On Aug 11, 2012
please my mum will be coming when i put to bed i need ideas on what to give to my mum after omuguwo,thanks.
Re: Ideas Pls On What To Give To Mum After Omuguo by uboma(m): 8:39pm On Aug 11, 2012
its closely tied to ur culture and tribe. Why not indicate where u r from, so experienced nairalanders can contribute meanifully
Re: Ideas Pls On What To Give To Mum After Omuguo by igbi: 6:30am On Aug 12, 2012
thanks. I am from benue but iive in abuja.
Re: Ideas Pls On What To Give To Mum After Omuguo by dominique(f): 9:47pm On Aug 12, 2012
the word 'omugwo' sounds igbo to me. never would have guessed its from benue. are you tiv or idoma?
Re: Ideas Pls On What To Give To Mum After Omuguo by odumchi: 2:15am On Aug 13, 2012
Omugwo is an Igbo practice in which a woman goes and stays with her daughter (who has just delivered) and her family and assists them with the household chores until her daughter has fully recovered from her pregnancy.

In Igbo tradition, when the mother in law is about to return, her son-in-law is required to give her a George wrapper, yams, money, and meat (fowl).
Re: Ideas Pls On What To Give To Mum After Omuguo by AndreUweh(m): 12:15pm On Aug 13, 2012
Omugwo is an Igbo aspect of culture. Neighbours of Ndigbo have borrowed this culture just as Ndigbo have borrowed from their neighbours as well.
@ the OP. You may provide her with George or Hollandis wrappers, new shoes and sandals, new bra and panties, hand bag, necklace, handkerchiefs, towels, headscarf to match with the wrappers, cardigan, pyjamas for ladies or night gowns, body creams and soap, deodorants, powders, cash etc.
Re: Ideas Pls On What To Give To Mum After Omuguo by igbi: 8:19am On Aug 18, 2012
hey! i never thought of the handbag and other stuff! thanks guys please keep it coming...sorry i did not explain what omuoguo meant but it has been done already,didnt really know the name in our culture.

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Ajami Script / Etsako (ibie) Verbs / Osole Owo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.