Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,858 members, 7,798,858 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? (23954 Views)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? / Africans With Foreign Names / Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 11:50pm On Aug 11, 2012
can someone tell me d tribe that bear foreign names most in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 2:33am On Aug 12, 2012
BOKO tribe

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by blackbalang(f): 6:09am On Aug 12, 2012
Eguns
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by ifyalways(f): 8:51am On Aug 12, 2012
Surname or first names?for surnames I think its the ijaws and kalabaris, closely followed by the yorubas. My opinion, not fact.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by timilehin007(m): 9:16am On Aug 12, 2012
Yorubas nah
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by bokohalal(m): 10:57am On Aug 12, 2012
No Nigerian group but Hausa. Only Arab names.First and last names as well. Followed closely by the Fulanis who still retain some native names like Jalo,Bello,Dikko etc.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Abagworo(m): 12:20pm On Aug 12, 2012
bokohalal: No Nigerian group but Hausa. Only Arab names.First and last names as well. Followed closely by the Fulanis who still retain some native names like Jalo,Bello,Dikko etc.

Funny we seem to equate foreign as mainly English or European. Its same when we call the Almajiris illiterates even though they can read and write in Arabic or Hausa.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by anonymous6(f): 12:32pm On Aug 12, 2012
First of all do you mean surname? or first name? because based on the answer you will get different answers, in general I would say Hausa's take the cake, because many use Muslim names both surname and first name because of their religion. When it comes to igbo well I have noticed many of them have alot of English first names then any other tribes but with igbo surnames mostly, followed secondly by Edo's. When it comes to yoruba I rarely met one with a English first name, a few have English surnames though but when it comes to Muslim Yoruba's it is either they have both Muslim names or either or most of the time.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by kengis: 4:50pm On Aug 12, 2012
For surnames I would say goodluck ejews lol ijaws
firstnames and surnames Yorubas from arabic to european ,Akim,rasheed ,lateef or whatever until portuguese surnames
Most igbos have an igbo firstname as well as surnames

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by suyu: 6:00pm On Aug 12, 2012
igbo with their english first names
precious, princess, mike, stephanie, genevieve, David, Caroline, Prince ........

yoruba with their english or arabic last names
taylor, green, thompson, brown, hassan, ibrahem, Benson

I'm not saying all but some are

lets tell the truth jare

7 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:52pm On Aug 12, 2012
bokohalal: No Nigerian group but Hausa. Only Arab names.First and last names as well. Followed closely by the Fulanis who still retain some native names like Jalo,Bello,Dikko etc.

not all Hausa.

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 10:33pm On Aug 12, 2012
anonymous6: First of all do you mean surname? or first name? because based on the answer you will get different answers, in general I would say Hausa's take the cake, because many use Muslim names both surname and first name because of their religion. When it comes to igbo well I have noticed many of them have alot of English first names then any other tribes but with igbo surnames mostly, followed secondly by Edo's. When it comes to yoruba I rarely met one with a English first name, a few have English surnames though but when it comes to Muslim Yoruba's it is either they have both Muslim names or either or most of the time.
both surname and first name
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by anonymous6(f): 10:53pm On Aug 12, 2012
f rain c: both surname and first name

Hausa; as I said before

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by odumchi: 2:08am On Aug 13, 2012
I think it's between the Ijaw and Hausa.

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 1:05am On Oct 15, 2012
odumchi: I think it's between the Ijaw and Hausa.
no think am. na ijaw ane hausa

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 15, 2012
anonymous6: First of all do you mean surname? or first name? because based on the answer you will get different answers, in general I would say Hausa's take the cake, because many use Muslim names both surname and first name because of their religion. When it comes to igbo well I have noticed many of them have alot of English first names then any other tribes but with igbo surnames mostly, followed secondly by Edo's. When it comes to yoruba I rarely met one with a English first name, a few have English surnames though but when it comes to Muslim Yoruba's it is either they have both Muslim names or either or most of the time.
GBAM!!

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 7:49am On Oct 15, 2012
Shollypopz:
GBAM!!
u sure?
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by EzePromoe: 8:00am On Oct 15, 2012
It's the Ijaws and Hausas

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 8:08am On Oct 15, 2012
Eze Promoe: It's the Ijaws and Hausas
yes o
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 15, 2012
f rain c: u sure?
I don't know much about the Ijaws, maybe I'm not so sure
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 3:36pm On Oct 15, 2012
Shollypopz:
I don't know much about the Ijaws, maybe I'm not so sure
ok
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by AndreUweh(m): 7:13pm On Oct 15, 2012
Hausas are tops in this quest. At times there may be some Ijaws without foreign names. But Hausas, very rare.

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 11:18pm On Oct 15, 2012
Andre Uweh: Hausas are tops in this quest. At times there may be some Ijaws without foreign names. But Hausas, very rare.
na true o.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by CrazyMan(m): 9:09pm On Oct 17, 2012
f rain c: can some one tell me d tribe dat bear foreign names most in nigeria
I think its calabar people.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by ezeagu(m): 10:03pm On Oct 17, 2012
Ibibio/Annang are like Igbo, they have a Western and native names, and always have native last names. The Efik in Calabar are like Lagosians with European (mainly English) surnames. The rest of Cross River are similar to English speaking Cameroon which is also like Ibibio.

I've never met an Igbo without an Igbo first name (that is lawful and in their passport). There are actually a minority of Igbo people that descended from returnees from Sierra Leone and are concentrated in urban Onicha and Aba, these are the main Igbo with European last names. Because Igbo surnames are traditionally taken from the first name of the father, there are Igbo people who answer Western surnames like Daniel and Samuel since their father/ancestor had been baptised during the colonial era.

Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri have the most cases of 'foreign' names, from Arabic.

Kalabari and some other eastern Ijaw groups like Ibani have pure old English/Portuguese surnames, place names, ship names, nicknames, and anglicised African surnames like Polo, Pepple, Halliday, Allison, Tom, Shot, Jumbo, Duke, Hart, Princewill. These Ijaw took their names from Europan contact and are different to the Ijaw who infamously name their children Bread, and Heineken which I think are mainly from parts of Bayelsa.

8 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 2:21am On Oct 18, 2012
yamha yum lee chan ..........:u must get award for dis.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by awesomet1(m): 3:25pm On Oct 30, 2012
RIVERS PEOPLE

3 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by savcy(m): 3:28pm On Oct 30, 2012
The Efiks(or 'calabar' people)
e.g James John Jackson
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by NEROSKY(m): 3:28pm On Oct 30, 2012
if calabars/akwa_ibomz n middle belts no win dis pull, na em bi say una no well,make una go c una native doctor cheesy
eg, donald duke
david mark
state d rest...
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by mompe(m): 3:34pm On Oct 30, 2012
ndi Aba tribe ;Dndi Aba tribe
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by NEROSKY(m): 3:34pm On Oct 30, 2012
somebody lied...
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by free2ryhme: 3:35pm On Oct 30, 2012
Hausa ... The entire north bears their arab foreign names

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Does Any One Knows Why twins Were Killed In Igboland / Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child / ABU, Zaria Management Storms Onitsha For Ofala Festival (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.