Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:56 PM

Should I Lie About Job Experiences? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Lie About Job Experiences? (2650 Views)

7 Misconceptions You May Be Having About Job Interviews - Job Interview Myths / How To Go About Job Hunting / Should I Lie About Work Experience? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by andymola(m): 12:43pm On Aug 12, 2012
I've come to realize that getting employed at the entry level is quite difficult in Nigeria without an "Abraham" as a father. Had been to a couple of job interviews and always notice disappoints in the faces of my interviewers each time I affirmed in the negative when confronted about job experiences.
I had an interview with Glo on 1st Aug. @54 Saka Tinubu V. I Lag. I did very well but when asked about job experiences and I replied the obvious, my interviewers nodded in disappointments.
Good people of nairaland, I've determined to go edit my C.V and give to them what they want to hear and see. Would like to know from you good people if lying about job experience has its implications? I'm posting with my phone so do overlook my mistakes. Thanks
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by yemmyma: 12:57pm On Aug 12, 2012
'Abraham' indeed. I know couple of people got jobs at that company just out of uni some couple of years ago. I think they had Abrahams as well.

Depending on your field, i am certain some experiences cannot be faked. An obvious example is applying to be a pilot with 5 years experience without knowing what a turbo prop is.

If you can defend your perceived experience, you might want to give it a shot.

For me, i am not a good liar embarassed
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by AjanleKoko: 1:55pm On Aug 12, 2012
@OP,
Good luck and Godspeed. Shikena embarassed
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 12, 2012
eeeyaa...@op, and u knw those employers can be very annoying, how do they expect us to hav an experience when we ar nt given d chance to. The trend dis days are job adverts that requires one to hav 10yrs exprnce or msc. My advise 2 u is nt 2 lie bt wait with tym smth gud is gonna cme ur way.
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by sisieko2001: 3:04pm On Aug 12, 2012
hmmmmmmmmmmm . . . . .
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by boneruns(m): 9:03pm On Aug 12, 2012
I lied about a job experience on my first job interview and , it got a better of me. I scaled through the first stage but the MD of the firm detected my lies. I could have secured employment with them if I had not lied. Well, I learnt my mistakes.
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by violent(m): 9:36pm On Aug 12, 2012
This isn't an issue anyone can decide for you. It is up to you to find out for yourself where you stand in terms of your own ethics and whether or not the end is all that matters to you regardless of the means. If you have no fuss about moral values and can't be ashamed to tell your future kids how you cheated your way to your first job, then please, go on and give it a shot!

Does it have its implications?....Well in the UK, if you get caught out, you may serve a prison term for fraud!...In naija, i'd guess the worst an irate employer could do is give you the boot.

What do i think of it?.... I believe it is fraudulent to materially misrepresent yourself. You aren't doing anything different from what dem Yahoo guys are doing.

1 Like

Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by AjanleKoko: 10:01am On Aug 13, 2012
@OP,
What job were you applying for in Glo that required experience?
Rather than lying about experience, go and look for opportunities to gain work experience, even if they won't pay you to start with.

1 Like

Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by duality(m): 1:25pm On Aug 13, 2012
Oga AjanleKoko,

can i work in your organization for free? i need job experience.
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by AjanleKoko: 1:40pm On Aug 13, 2012
duality: Oga AjanleKoko,

can i work in your organization for free? i need job experience.

What can you do? Send me a PM. Send your CV as well.
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by duality(m): 2:52pm On Aug 13, 2012
AjanleKoko:

What can you do? Send me a PM. Send your CV as well.
i can do a lot sir. I'm a young EE graduate with both power and IT exposures. interestingly sir, my competencies are not limited to EE, power and IT as Ive also had some Administrative, Management and even Logistics exposures during my undergraduate days and immediately after.
just got some study materials on PLCs and SCADA coz i also have love for control systems.

I would have sent you a PM for more but i don't know how to do that on Nairaland. could there be a better alternative sir?
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by AjanleKoko: 4:10pm On Aug 13, 2012
duality:
i can do a lot sir. I'm a young EE graduate with both power and IT exposures. interestingly sir, my competencies are not limited to EE, power and IT as Ive also had some Administrative, Management and even Logistics exposures during my undergraduate days and immediately after.
just got some study materials on PLCs and SCADA coz i also have love for control systems.

I would have sent you a PM for more but i don't know how to do that on Nairaland. could there be a better alternative sir?

PM = private message. Click on my username.
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by duality(m): 4:46pm On Aug 13, 2012
AjanleKoko:

PM = private message. Click on my username.

OK ..Done.
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Aug 13, 2012
@ OP,
I will rather tell you to keep yourself busy by engaging in productive activities even if it is not very financially rewarding.
A lot also depends on your age and course of study. You can also consider a volunteer job.
I won't advise you to lie. It can be very tempting. Press on, don't give up; develop strategies to remain competitive in the labour market, sharpen and update your skills, and if possible add value to yourself by learning new skills. In short, DON'T BE IDLE. The job will certainly come.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by andymola(m): 9:08pm On Aug 14, 2012
Thanks to everyone, I think I've been counselled. Honesty still remains the best policy. I'll go the right. Thanks once more!
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by Trac: 10:56pm On Aug 17, 2012
No, it may favour you in the short-term but it wouldn't in the long-run unless restitution is done (owning up). You can always tell who a person is by what the person says. If you are knowledgeable and fit the job, you will be considered. If you have the potentials to be perfect for the job but hasn't been exploited due to the fact that you lack the experience, a right thinking HR and the interviewing agent will spot it and it is left to your discretion. I don't believe you ever want to work in a place where you are not trusted (if the truth is eventually discovered - even if you are good). Peradventure, if inter-office sees it as nothing wrong, then you have bigger problems to worry about later because some day, they might turn on you (e.g. filtering employees).
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by joshuakume: 11:16pm On Aug 17, 2012
Dont for any reason settle for a lie,honesty is the best policy.
Re: Should I Lie About Job Experiences? by suskumayaya(m): 9:32am On Aug 18, 2012
@OP
It is not advisable to fake experience especially when you don't have one. My take on this issue is that you can add more period of time to your stated experience in your cv e.g if you have 6months experience and you know they require for 1or2 years experience in the job you are applying for, you can edit your cv to suit their requirements as long as you can defend your job roles.

(1) (Reply)

Critical Rules To Secure Your Job And Secure A Job / Undergraduate Internship In Telecom Industries,mobil And Slumberger / Assistance On What To Expect After Passing Kpmg Nigeria Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.