Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,505 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? (18361 Views)

Man Strips Unclad Inside Gtbank As His Money Vanished From His Account (video) / Is Gtbank Really The Best Bank In Nigeria / Why Is Gtbank Naira Mastercard Not Working On Facebook & Google Advertisement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by jorge1980(m): 1:36pm On Aug 12, 2012
It seems the pretense is over with GTbank. I had issues using the internet banking platform for a couple of days trying to transfer funds from on gt acct to another. I did this without success and decided to call the customer service center.

I was gracefully told that "due to a security upgrade" transfers (including internal) can only be made from current accounts and I had to open a current account to do that.

This coming from a supposedly IT compliant bank selling bogus hardware tokens for internet banking is outrageous . I had always known the bank was overated and this just breaks the camels back......closing my account immediately.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by jorge1980(m): 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2012
And this is the annoying and misleading message you get when you try....

1 Like

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by legalwealth(m): 2:14pm On Aug 12, 2012
But I was told last week here in Osogbo by a customer care agent that it will be rectified and that
it is not a permanent issue.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by jiggo(m): 3:42pm On Aug 12, 2012
For how long is the upgrade? It's over a week now. I even sent them a mail on thursday to know howfar, no response.
Its just unfortunate if really they wana force us to open current acct b4 we can make transfers, absolutely absurd.

1 Like

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by oluwacjay: 3:43pm On Aug 12, 2012
Mtscheeew & dis made front page. How does dis change d price of skunk at elegushi angry
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by thompsons: 3:44pm On Aug 12, 2012
GTbank is not that kind of a bank.Your conclusions are obviously wrong because they are even trying to cope with their numerous customers.You can try another means of money transfer if You don't want to follow the suggestion.

3 Likes

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by DICKtator: 3:48pm On Aug 12, 2012
oluwacjay: Mtscheeew & dis made front page. How does dis change d price of skunk at elegushi angry

Obviously,the "skunk" makes u spew trashes like this from ur smelly mouth.
Just my 2 cents
grin grin grin grin
@op: I noticed some changes too in the modus operandi of GTB. I can only hope for the best when it comes to their decision making!!
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by JW214: 3:48pm On Aug 12, 2012
This problem has been recitified. I did a transfer to another GTB customer account through my savings account yesterday evening, just that a new security feature has been added, your registered mobile phone number will be sent a code to complete any new transfer transaction realtime.

You may have to log off and re-log in if you savings account is not appearing in your list.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by ikhile666: 4:00pm On Aug 12, 2012
[/color][color=#990000] ;DKeystone bank is the bomb now.did a transfer their no charges from an internal account to another and also did a transfer from their atm to aanother bank hassle free.I ve already closed my gt account
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by slimming: 4:04pm On Aug 12, 2012
Are you saying i can transfer with saving account to another gt bank acct holder? the last time i check, the customer care said it can't be possible except i have current account.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by jmslimx(m): 4:18pm On Aug 12, 2012
I wan being type but no need because noting will change it

1 Like

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by ProfJYK(m): 4:24pm On Aug 12, 2012
learnt you need a current account to pick your western union transfer, new development.
pls run while it is still zero naira balance
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by mymadam(m): 4:27pm On Aug 12, 2012
jorge1980: And this is the annoying and misleading message you get when you try....

The problem with GTB may be 'localised'. Since January 2012, I've been receiving the above message anytime I tried to access my account. I went to my branch for clarification. "Oh, it must be your laptop that's faulty", was always the answer. There's no such problem with other banks I use. As at this day, the problem still persists with GTB. When it comes to credit alerts, I do receive some, while others never arrive. GTB's response; "Which network do you use?". Answer; "MTN". "Oh yes, they are at fault". Another customer said Airtel and it was the same, "They are at fault" excuse. If this is not the case in your area, please go on with GTB. However, if it is, I recommend that you take your money and run for dear life! Remember that the 'once beautiful bride', InterContinental Bank kind of started with this kind of 'everything will soon be alright' assurances before the big explosion! Beware. God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by mymadam(m): 4:29pm On Aug 12, 2012
jorge1980: And this is the annoying and misleading message you get when you try....

The problem with GTB may be 'localised'. Since January 2012, I've been receiving the above message anytime I tried to access my account. I went to my branch for clarification. "Oh, it must be your laptop that's faulty", was always the answer. There's no such problem with other banks I use. As at this day, the problem still persists with GTB. When it comes to credit alerts, I do receive some, while others never arrive. GTB's response; "Which network do you use?". Answer; "MTN". "Oh yes, they are at fault". Another customer said Airtel and it was the same, "They are at fault" excuse. If this is not the case in your area, please go on with GTB. However, if it is, I recommend that you take your money and run for dear life! Remember that the 'once beautiful bride', InterContinental Bank started with this kind of 'everything will soon be alright' assurances before the big explosion! Beware. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by KokoBeware: 4:31pm On Aug 12, 2012
Right now i hate the name GTB... tried using their master card in the UK and the my account got debited and no money come out... calling the customer care, they said it will take 45days to reverse... 45 working days.... and i was withdrawing the maximum allowed cos they charge 1k per withdrawal..
The call center girl couldnt even apologise, she just said with her straight uninterested voice, that since it was an international withdrawal i have to wait 45days...... i think its just plain madness

1 Like

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by d7thcaller: 4:34pm On Aug 12, 2012
@ slimming,

Yes you can now do transfer to other gt accounts through your savings acct. I did up to two transfers from my savings yesterday and all of them were successful.
Cheers

1 Like

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 12, 2012
JW214: This problem has been recitified. I did a transfer to another GTB customer account through my savings account yesterday evening, just that a new security feature has been added, your registered mobile phone number will be sent a code to complete any new transfer transaction realtime.

You may have to log off and re-log in if you savings account is not appearing in your list.

No it still NOT working..... I just logged in to my savings acct. cant still transfer.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by umunnatim(m): 4:55pm On Aug 12, 2012
Whats the Essence of this thread?We should close our accounts because you are closing yours?I can bet that you didn't close yours Noise Maker.

2 Likes

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by JideTheBlogger(m): 4:58pm On Aug 12, 2012
Was at the bank on Friday. I was told I will now need current account for me to be able to transfer online. I have applied for the current account. Heading to First bank tomorrow to activate internet banking. No time!
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by fortalex(m): 5:06pm On Aug 12, 2012
I did oline transfer yesterday...the problem is now rectified...
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by shogbenga: 5:06pm On Aug 12, 2012
I had a similar problem. I tried to transfer from my savings but couldn't. What I did was to transfer the money from my savings to current and then made the transfer from my current account. This happened about 2 months ago.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by maryswags: 5:17pm On Aug 12, 2012
The rubbish gtb is doing is really gettin out of hand, I thought I was d only one wit this thought o. D other day a friend wanted 2 travel, and went to gtb to buy foreign currency from his account, dey said he can't except its a current account. Do u knw this same person bought it from diamond bank he dosnt even have an account with? On another occasion I wanted 2 collect western union n gtb refused 2 pay me cos my account is savings, and uba paid me dat same day wit my savings account. What is gtb really up to
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by frgy1: 5:34pm On Aug 12, 2012
I made a transfer from my savings account a few days ago , after it was previously unavailable
Since some are saying they still can't do it , maybe its being rectified in batches.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by akinwole21: 5:41pm On Aug 12, 2012
tumababa:

No it still NOT working..... I just logged in to my savings acct. cant still transfer.

Then, something is wrong somewhere, but yesterday at about 18:00, I did a transfer from my savings to a 3rd party, the only problem I had was that I had to generate the transaction code up to 6times before the transfer was succesfull.

I am not a GTB staff and wouldn't know what has gone wrong with their system.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by routik(m): 5:47pm On Aug 12, 2012
you may be interested in reading this blog post regarding a customers bad experience with the same bank.

http://asemota.posterous.com/is-gtbank-human-or-machine

very annoying.

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by infogenius(m): 5:55pm On Aug 12, 2012
Honestly I am pissed off with the way Gtbank treated me on Friday.As usual their ATM machine had network problems but somehow people managed to cash.After waiting for close to 1hr as a result of delays due to their inefficienT atm.My turn came , I put in my GT card and the "ole" machine held unto it.I waited and nothing happened.

I went into the banking hall and made my complaint.The chap went to retrieve my card and went to make a call.Then the "mumu" sat down to continue his yeye work.I asked him for my card,he refused to answer me ,anger building up slowly in me,I asked him again only for him to give another chap the card and asked me to follow him.

Wonders will never end

I followed that one and he told me that he will not give me the card again as I had to apply for another one.When he realised that he could not tackle me he called another officer and that one told me that it was a policy in place now that if ur card had issues with the ATM,u'll have to apply for another card.

After the whole drama,I did not get my card back and I didn't apply.

Similarly Some time ago my wife went to this same GTb branch to withdraw from the counter,she was asked to use the ATM.She has long lost hers(though I lost)and so she insisted that she wanted to withdraw from the counter at least una go comot una N100. Only for her to be told that she had to apply for a Card b4 she is paid.She didn't apply and she was not paid in that branch.

My question is this,is it a must that one must apply for another card if his card got stuck in the ATM.Do u have similar experience with other banks? Because these banks should have just carried Guns into the street instead of this forceful BARA.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by Slyr0x: 5:57pm On Aug 12, 2012
I just tried transferring. . .still NOT working!
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by sunky644(m): 6:06pm On Aug 12, 2012
I think what they are really after is for customers to buy the token. I tried making an important transaction lastweek but all to no avail as the excuse was this security issue. I was forced to buy the token since it's the only solution to that present problem. So, if you want to ve a smooth internet banking with GTBank, then I advice you get the token. But, if you don't want to buy the token, it's either you close your account with them or forget internet banking as far as the bank is concerned.
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 12, 2012
I AM LEAVING GTBANK! THEM DON DEY MADT!!
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by floflo12: 7:45pm On Aug 12, 2012
GTB IS A USELESS BANKING,IMAGINE AFTER MAKING IT COMPULOSRY TO USE YOUR SAVING ACCOUNT FOR RECEIVING WESTERN UNION,LIKE THATS NOT ENOUGH..NOW WE ARE BEING FORCED TO OPEN A CURRENT ACCOUNT TO COLLECT WESTERN UNION,I MEAN HOW MANY ACCOUNT PERSON SUPPOSE GET WITH ONE BANK,WHEN I DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO USE A CURRENT ACCOUNT FOR?WHERE DIS COUNTRY DEY HEAD TOO?I TIRE O
Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by abbyintuition(m): 8:19pm On Aug 12, 2012
I'm surprised at the temper tantrums thrown here. I had received a amail frm them notifying me that they were migrating technology as a result of which transfers would not take place frm savings accounts for a while. Excerpts:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for maintaining a banking relationship with Guaranty Trust Bank plc.

In line with our commitment to ensure you perform your banking transactions quickly, safely and conveniently, we would like to inform you that we are presently upgrading the security features for third party transfers and several other functions on our internet banking platform.

Kindly note that during this upgrade exercise the third party transfer function for Savings Accounts on our Internet Banking platform will be unavailable to customers.

Should you require to transfer money to a third party, please transfer the funds to your current account and then perform the transaction. You can also visit any GTBank branch nationwide to effect your transfer.

We sincerely regret all inconveniences caused by this development and assure you of our commitment to providing you with excellent service at all times.

For more information, please to GTConnect on 01-4480000, 08029002900 or 08039003900 or visit our website www.gtbank.com.

Thank you.

They hvnt gotten there (perfection) yet, but they are pressin toward it.

One man's food is another's poison. But i'll encourage some understanding.

Cheers nairalanders

1 Like

Re: Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? by yamakuza: 8:25pm On Aug 12, 2012
it appears that Diamond Bank and First Bank are the next best alternatives?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Nairalander Proffers Solution To Epileptic Power & Unemployment As Seen On TV / How Goverment Plans To Ease Hardship, By CBN / Biggest Consumer Markets In Nigeria: Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Ibadan, PH - BI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.