Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan (7522 Views)

Is This The Most Beautiful Mosque In Nigeria? / 'Salat Man' Is Symbol Of Resistance For Muslims In Ethiopia / The Elephant In The Mosque:the Wahhabi Menace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by tbaba1234: 7:34pm On Aug 12, 2012
Great history behind this mosque, fascinating... A place to visit if/when i go to japan.... Suffered bombings and earthquake... SubhanAllah

Kobe Mosque: The resistance of the Atomic Bomb and Earthquake In Japan

Kobe Mosque is the first mosque in Japan. This mosque was built in 1928 in Nakayamate Dori, Chuo-ku. Kobe means gate of God or God’s gate.

In 1945, Japan engaged the Second World War. Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in American ports have made the U.S. government decided to drop the first atomic bomb in a war.

And Japan was defeated. Two of his city, Nagasaki and Hiroshima was bombed by the U.S. Atom. At that time, the city of Kobe did not miss the hefty price. Kobe arguably be razed to the ground.

When the buildings around it almost razed to the ground, Kobe Muslim Mosque still standing upright. This mosque suffered only cracks on exterior walls and all the glass windows broken.

The exterior of the mosque become quite black from the smoke bomb attack. Japanese soldiers who took refuge in the basement of the mosque survived the bomb threat, as well as concealed weapons. This mosque became a place of refuge for victims of war.

The government of Saudi Arabia and Kuwait contributed to fund the renovation in large numbers. Glass broken window replaced with new glass windows imported directly from Germany. A new decorative lights are hung in the middle of the main prayer hall. Room temperature control system is then installed in the mosque.

School destroyed in the war again renovated and some additional buildings were built. Muslims back to enjoy their religious activities in Kobe Muslim Mosque.

The financial crisis is often approached the mosque committee cash. High property taxes make the mosque committee had to spend quite a lot of cash costs. Luckily, many donors are ready to give a helping hand to solve the financial problems of development and renovation of this mosque. Donations can even make Kobe Muslim Mosque became increasingly developed.

Kobe Mosque robustness was tested again with the most devastating earthquake in 1995. Precisely at 5:46 o’clock Tuesday, January 17, 1995. The quake struck Kobe is not only alone, but also the surrounding areas like South Hyogo, Hyogo-ken Nanbu and others.

The experts say that the earthquake was caused by three plates collide, the Philippine plate, Pacific Plate and the Eurasian plate. Although only lasted 20 seconds, but this quake victims take as many as 6433 people, most of which is a resident of the city of Kobe. In addition, the Kobe quake also caused major damage to the city area of 20 km from the epicenter.

Earthquake Hanshin-Awaji great is the worst earthquake in Japan since the great Kanto earthquake of 1923 which claimed 140,000 lives. But until now Kobe Mosque still standing strong and erect, though not deterred hordes disasters.

http://amazingnotes.com/2011/02/01/kobe-mosque-the-resistance-of-the-atomic-bomb-and-earthquake-in-japan/

More history on the masjid

http://www.jref.com/forum/all-things-japanese-26/kobe-mosque-history-firts-mosque-japan-37067/
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by siddiq202(m): 10:16am On Aug 13, 2012
Subhanallahu
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by vedaxcool(m): 10:52am On Aug 13, 2012
Subahanallah! this is amazing.
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by brentkruge: 9:38pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kobe Mosque
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kobe Mosque
Kobe Mosque (神戸モスク Kōbe Mosque?), also known as Kobe Muslim Mosque (神戸ムスリムモスク Kōbe Muslim Mosque?), was founded in October, 1935 in Kobe and is Japan's first mosque.[1] Its construction was funded by donations collected by the Islamic Committee of Kobe from 1928 until its opening in 1935.[2] The mosque was confiscated by the Imperial Japanese Navy in 1943. However, it continues to function as mosque today. It is located in the Kitano-cho foreign district of Kobe. Owing to its basement and structure, the mosque was able to endure through the Great Hanshin earthquake.
The mosque was built in traditional Turkish style by the Czech architect Jan Josef Švagr (1885–1969), the architect of a number of Western religious buildings throughout Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Mosque
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by tbaba1234: 9:48pm On Aug 14, 2012
^ Did its foundations also save it from bombs??

The strong foundations were already highlighted in the article above?
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by brentkruge: 10:00pm On Aug 14, 2012
I just don't think that the fact it was standing after the tragedy was anything miraculous. Some buildings in the background of that mosque in the pix are standing. The Turkish design and good construction ensured it was better built than the usual Japanese style of building during that period. Japanese buildings collapsed and made huge fires as a result of the bombs and earthquakes.

More of construction method/materials and less of the supernatural helps buildings survive calamities.

Nice looking mosque though.
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by LagosShia: 10:02pm On Aug 14, 2012
brentkruge: I just don't think that the fact it was standing after the tragedy was anything miraculous. Some buildings in the background of that mosque in the pix are standing. The Turkish design and good construction ensured it was better built than the usual Japanese style of building during that period. Japanese buildings collapsed and made huge fires as a result of the bombs and earthquakes.

More of construction method/materials and less of the supernatural helps buildings survive calamities.

Nice looking mosque though.

i never knew there is a type of construction that can withstand a nuclear bomb.thanks for this vital info. grin
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by brentkruge: 10:30pm On Aug 14, 2012
LagosShia:

i never knew there is a type of construction that can withstand a nuclear bomb.thanks for this vital info. grin

You are welcome.

In Hiroshima almost everything up to about one mile from X was completely destroyed, except for a small number (about 50) of heavily reinforced concrete buildings, most of which were specially designed to withstand earthquake shock, which were not collapsed by the blast; most of these buildings had their interiors completely gutted, and all windows, doors, sashes, and frames ripped out.
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/mp09.asp

On 6 August, 1945 at 8:15AM, an atomic bomb was detonated approximately 600 metres above the city of Hiroshima, destroying virtually everything on the ground below within a radius of 2 kilometres from the hypocenter. However, a few structures remained standing including the now famous A-bomb dome, formerly known as the Hiroshima Prefectural Products Exhibition Hall. Several other structures survived total destruction, but the most well-preserved building to withstand the atomic blast was the Hiroshima Branch Building of the Bank of Japan.
http://resources.yesican-science.ca/phoenix/reports/report_bank_japan.pdf

Some of the reinforced concrete buildings in Hiroshima had been very strongly constructed because of the earthquake danger in Japan, and their framework did not collapse even though they were fairly close to the blast center. Eizo Nomura (野村 英三 Nomura Eizō?) was the closest known survivor, who was in the basement of a reinforced concrete building only 170 m (560 ft) from ground zero (the hypocenter) at the time of the attack.[79][80] Akiko Takakura (高蔵 信子 Takakura Akiko?) was among the closest survivors to the hypocenter of the blast. She had been in the solidly built Bank of Hiroshima only 300 meters (980 ft) from ground-zero at the time of the attack.[81] Since the bomb detonated in the air, the blast was directed more downward than sideways, which was largely responsible for the survival of the Prefectural Industrial Promotional Hall, now commonly known as the Genbaku, or A-bomb Dome. This building was designed and built by the Czech architect Jan Letzel, and[b] was only 150 m (490 ft) from ground zero[/b].
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki#Survival_of_some_structures
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by tbaba1234: 10:59pm On Aug 14, 2012
^ You are totally missing the point. you forgot to quote

In Nagasaki, nearly everything within 1/2 mile of the explosion was destroyed, including heavy structures. All Japanese homes were destroyed within 1 1/2 miles from X.

Which means in Nagasaki even heavy building were destroyed...

Also

In Nagasaki, reinforced concrete smoke stacks with 8" walls, specially designed to withstand earthquake shocks, were overturned up to 4,000 feet from X.

So there are two areas and

i. Even reinforced buildings were destroyed - Nagasaki

ii. very few (about 50) of the reinforced buidings remained standing -Hiroshima

What is my conclusion from this, Having reinforced buiding does not guarantee that you will not be destroyed... The fact that only a few building were left standing is telling... The odds are not very good.

i.) So the building suffered one of the greatest tragedies in human history

ii.) It suffered the worst earthquake in japanese history

You can tie it to foundation alone but we know that even buildings with strong foundation can be destroyed by any of these incidents. Thank God, It remained standing...

For the muslim, It is a mercy from God...
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by MacDaddy01: 11:30pm On Aug 14, 2012
Tbaba

You are a smart guy but when you do articles like this, you just turn most people off with your "muslim miracles". If it is not some numerology in the Quran, it is some mystery in the muslim world!

Each and everyone of them get dismissed as coincidences or naturally explainable phenomena.

Enough with these miracles! angry angry angry angry angry

At least I was enjoying your journey through the Quran...............
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by tbaba1234: 11:38pm On Aug 14, 2012
^ I didn't post this to highlight a miracle.. You haven't explained the 'stuff', i have shown you in the recent past or reproduced them.

I think, It is fascinating that the mosque suffered two major incidents: - For the muslim, it highlights the mercy of God. It could easily have been destroyed as well. Then there will be no story...

It is a good story, make of it what you will...

When are you becoming muslim, this guy?
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by MacDaddy01: 9:09am On Aug 15, 2012
tbaba1234: ^ I didn't post this to highlight a miracle.. You haven't explained the 'stuff', i have shown you in the recent past or reproduced them.

I think, It is fascinating that the mosque suffered two major incidents: - For the muslim, it highlights the mercy of God. It could easily have been destroyed as well. Then there will be no story...

It is a good story, make of it what you will...

1) So the muslims killed in in the war did not have the mercy of God? God just loves the building?

2) There were other buildings that withstood the bomb.

3) I am never going to be a muslim. I just like muslim girls- they are difficult but nothng good comes easy. The trill of danger is also cool.
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by tbaba1234: 9:29am On Aug 15, 2012
^ shallow thinking again...

i. Everything that happens in this world is as a result of the mercy of God. The building survived two major incidents, that is fascinating and a mercy... The muslims that died in the war died at their own time, the time destined for them.... Death is not an end, It is a means to an End. May Allah have mercy on them.

ii. So what? that is not the focus of the article... How many buildings can survive two major incidents of that magnitude and remain standing? I assure there are not many... We see that only 50 buildings survived for 1 mile in hiroshima and none for 1 1/2 miles in Nagasaki. Those are not very good odds for any city...

iii. your loss...
Re: Kobe Mosque: The Resistance Of The Atomic Bomb And Earthquake In Japan by MacDaddy01: 12:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
tbaba1234:

https://www.nairaland.com/1019298/honest-reasons-why-not-muslim

My full answer is on that thread

(1) (Reply)

Lecture By Former Pastor Mathew Oyewole Now Alhaji Moshood / Can We Call People Who Do Shirk And Bid'ah Muslims? / Ramadan Challenge 30 Day Self Improvement Ideas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.