Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

The Christian Attitude To Political Leadership - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Christian Attitude To Political Leadership (1261 Views)

Cramjones To Give Away $500 To Political Supporters! Get In Here! / Fayose Dresses As Bishop In Jerusalem For The Christian Pilgrimage (Photos) / Tribute To Political Supporters - Berem And Obiageli - Cramjones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Christian Attitude To Political Leadership by Starlett: 9:52pm On Aug 13, 2012
Fellow 'Landers, I have followed discussions revolving around this topic actively for some time now, and noted the concerns of both the FORs and the AGAINSTs of how Christians should react to political leadership, whether good or bad.

Below are excerpt from a Corporate Bible Study we had in Church not too long ago on this topic. I invite everyone who's interested to study the following issues dispassionately under God and come to his/her own conclusion.

However, be it known that am proud to belong to such a vibrant online forum like Nairaland, where tough issues are debated headon and superior argument is allowed to prevail.
THE CHRISTIAN ATTITUDE TO POLITICAL LEADERSHIP

Text: Ps. 62:11

Questions/Points For Consideration

1. How should we see political leaders?

2. Does God Approve of Every Political Office Holder?
Dan. 2:21; Rom. 13: 1-8. What of election riggers?

3. How should Christians respond to poor leadership?
1TIM. 2:1-4

4. Is it proper to Challenge Bad Leadership in our Society or Simply Obey?
Rom. 13:1; Dan 3: 15-18; Acts 4

5. Is it Right to "abuse" Politicians/Leaders? Lk 13:32; Matt. 3:7

6. Is Democracy of God? His Perfect Will?
Ezk 34: 1-end;  1Sam 8:7;  Is. 33:22

Let's have done with abuses for once and have a robust discussion on this matter, Should Pst Bakare be better off counting the tithes and offerings in his church, and teaching his congregation to bless the political leaders? Or do we in fact need more of his type in Nigeria today?
Re: The Christian Attitude To Political Leadership by Starlett: 10:06pm On Aug 13, 2012
My Goodness. Some of us are not even aware that our LORD Jesus actually called King Herod of His day, a "fox".
Hm. Wonder what he would call some of our ruling political class today.

My point: He reserved some of his harshest sermons for the compromised religious and political leaders of His time. He hit them hard and repeatedly, filling many of such sermons with "woe unto you"...

Now, that's something to think about...

1 Like

Re: The Christian Attitude To Political Leadership by Biggyd2: 10:37pm On Aug 13, 2012
Should Pst Bakare be better off counting the tithes and offerings in his church, and teaching his congregation to bless the political leaders? Or do we in fact need more of his type in Nigeria today?[/quote]

PTB was first a Nigerian before he became a pastor. He has every right AS A NIGERIAN to speak out if the country is steered in the wrong direction. Religiously though, it behoves his flock to leave his assembly if they are not comfortable with his preachings.

People in religious authority have the duty AS NIGERIANS to speak against ANY government that raises its head against the good of its citizens. My two cents! undecided
Re: The Christian Attitude To Political Leadership by Kobojunkie: 10:48pm On Aug 13, 2012
Kobo will not fall for this today . . . . @Kobojunkie is trying to focus grin grin grin grin
Re: The Christian Attitude To Political Leadership by Starlett: 11:05pm On Aug 13, 2012
Ah, Kobo. No way, Dear, no way. It's too late to de-rail this powerful discussion with the usual abuses and name-calling. We're having a discussion, remember? I haben't even claimed to be a prophet, so no basis for your lumping me among the "false prophets on Nairaland"

Anyway, to answer your challenge, I don't necessarily support calling political leaders names, but Jesus did it when the occasion arose. As to whether he did it because Herod was a politician, certainly not. He did it cos of Herod's sly character. And that's why I wondered what He would call some of our political leaders today.

And btw, John the Baptist was not left out. He called the religious leaders who trooped to hear his hard revivalist messages a "brood of vipers". Snakes! If you like. This is all in the scriptures. Truth in our time is indeed generally seen but hardly ever heard.

(1) (Reply)

There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto / News: Armed Robbers Killed 2 Policemen And 7 Other Civilians In Lagos Yesterday! / Shell Partnerrs Sell 7 Oil Blocks For $2.57bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.