Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,760 members, 7,806,081 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates (121653 Views)

Pressid 2015/2016 List Of Successful Candidates / Covenant University’s First Class Graduates Dominate PRESSID / PRESSID Scholarship; List Of Successful Candidates. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Immortal1(m): 7:13pm On Sep 22, 2012
Hi! Itz gud u have a dream of making a 1st Class in ur chosen field. D real 1st step required is a burning desire 2 have ur dream come true & not settle 4 any other option; as in itz either a 1st Class or a 1st Class! Lol. Secondly, u don't have 2 cram ur way 2 achieve d feat cos it would surely boomerang. Get gud textbooks & read ur way through. Thirdly, apply d Pareto's principle(itz only 20% of wat u do in life dat gives u 80% of ur results) & focus real gud on those 20%; know thyself. Lastly, let ur target be making d best result in evry course & naturally u become a 1st Class Student. In other words, chase d values dat produce things & don't chase things. Wishing u d very best!
Ayo 47: Congrat to everyone that made the list and I pray deep inside me for those that didn't for God's favour to envelope you all in all your endeavours.I have been following this topic for weeks now, writing down every useful details I know will be of great help in making my dream of graduating with a first class a reality.Am a student that just gain admission to study Economics and Statistics in UNIBEN and i pray everyday in my heart that God should help me graduate with a first class as I go to the university, just like you all.I will want to say you all are my mentor. My mentor, you can be of a great assistance in making this dream of mine a reality by sharing with me that little secret of yours you used in achieving this success with me, am ready to learn.My 2go id is:IROMINI 9 facebook id: AYO IROMINI.Please, i beg don't ingnore my post.GOD bless u for reading and even going further in sharing with me the tips i need to graduate with a first class.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 1:52am On Sep 24, 2012
Ayo 47: Congrat to everyone that made the list and I pray deep inside me for those that didn't for God's favour to envelope you all in all your endeavours.I have been following this topic for weeks now, writing down every useful details I know will be of great help in making my dream of graduating with a first class a reality.Am a student that just gain admission to study Economics and Statistics in UNIBEN and i pray everyday in my heart that God should help me graduate with a first class as I go to the university, just like you all.I will want to say you all are my mentor. My mentor, you can be of a great assistance in making this dream of mine a reality by sharing with me that little secret of yours you used in achieving this success with me, am ready to learn.My 2go id is:IROMINI 9 facebook id: AYO IROMINI.Please, i beg don't ingnore my post.GOD bless u for reading and even going further in sharing with me the tips i need to graduate with a first class.

Mr. Ayo47: May God bless you too. Although, I don't think there is one perfect recipe for making a first class honours degree, because I think there are differences in factors which have effects on it such as: an individual's natural ability, personality, habits or quality, nature of the University or department of study (course content, volume, policy etc.), God's grace or favour (some people also describe this as being lucky, fortunate, favoured, blessed etc.) and so on. All these factors may not be the same for everybody & may differ from one undergraduate to the other, notwithstanding, I still think some things are quite general which you should try to apply to your own situation to "walk your own path" and "write your own history". I may not be entirely correct, but I think you need to: develop a very good attitude towards learning, have the right priorities, take every course serious (do each one like you want to get 100%, although you'll fall below that in reality, but not so low like if you set a low target for yourself and fall below it) i.e. Try to score A in almost every course, I repeat, TRY, Also try to know what's important to read and what isn't necessary, extraneous materials might be time consuming and a waste of time. The exams you'll be doing are internal exams, therefore, try to take good notes (or photocopy the notes of classmates that have good notes) and read and master your notes first or materials given to you by your lecturer before reading anything else like old notes, textbooks (if you need to or have the time to do so) and not the other way round (i.e. other materials before your lecturer's material), know that he/she would be the one to set exams and marking schemes. Study and understand each of your lecturers individually, try to know what they emphasize, answers they want and appreciate, be a good psychologist...lol... Be very observant, You can only do all these by attending lectures regularly because that's when you get to know some of their preferences. Read rigorously and try to know when and how you read best, and capitalize on that , but sometimes when your result doesn't reach what you want, just try to know your mistakes and learn from them...I can't say it all or know it all, but you can do it your own way, be the best of yourself... and also more importantly, hope for God's grace. But also remember, I consider it a better prayer to pray for what will be the best for you (because God knows) than to think you know the best (first class honours), and then pray for it. But do the best you truly can and leave the rest to God and pray that he blesses your work with the grade that will be the best for you. May God help us all (amen) grin

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by olusuccess2012: 5:21am On Sep 24, 2012
[/color][color=#990000]
Immortal!:
Hi! Itz gud u have a dream of making a 1st Class in ur chosen field. D real 1st step required is a burning desire 2 have ur dream come true & not settle 4 any other option; as in itz either a 1st Class or a 1st Class! Lol. Secondly, u don't have 2 cram ur way 2 achieve d feat cos it would surely boomerang. Get gud textbooks & read ur way through. Thirdly, apply d Pareto's principle(itz only 20% of wat u do in life dat gives u 80% of ur results) & focus real gud on those 20%; know thyself. Lastly, let ur target be making d best result in evry course & naturally u become a 1st Class Student. In other words, chase d values dat produce things & don't chase things. Wishing u d very best!
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by olusuccess2012: 7:55am On Sep 24, 2012
AY47,
Extra-ordinary people are ordinary people who do ordinary things in extra-ordinary ways. Please take to the following simple instructions of mine at least the few ones I can remember for now:
1. Teach others what you are taught. By teaching others through tutorials, group discussions, seminars etc the knowledge becomes better part of you.
2. Read only at the time you can comprehend. When you are no longer comprehending what you are reading, stop! Simply don't read for reading sake. Read to understand. Some people do read because they want their friends, classmates etc to know that they can read for 12/15 hours a day. For what?
3. Let your class lectures and notes be a base for your search for additional knowledge. That is, don't rule out your lecturers line of thought. Research on them to gain additional knowledge.
4. To get a first class in Eco & Stat you must focus 55/60% of your attention on quantitative analysis. Knowing fully well that Economics is now more of mathematics and less of discussions.
5. Before any exams, collate past questions for 3 yrs running on all your courses especially if the same lecturer has been teaching the same course over the period. Find solutions to all the questions by all means. With this you have over 50% preparation for ur exams.
6. Collate your lecture notes and other course materials and ask yourself this question: if I were the lecturer of this course what are the likely questions I will give my students for exams? Don't pretend by ignoring difficult areas you seem not to understand. You have enough time to answer those questions to prepare yourself before the exam
7. Don't ignore practice questions and test. Revise them.
8. Don't expect any assistance from anybody in your exams. Just do what you can and leave. I need not tell you that. exam malpractices graduate one prematurely.
9. Commit your undertakings to God and do good to nature and humanity. Wishing you all the best. Frm Olu 08063609596.

3 Likes

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by zzaacx: 9:41am On Sep 24, 2012
any one short-listed and wants to talk about the scholarship, feel free to contact me by email (zzaacx@gmail.com) with ur numbers so that we can discuss further... regards best of luck to all you... kind regards...
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by rexel99: 1:08pm On Sep 24, 2012
SCAM, whole PRESSID stuff reeks of nepotism and corruption. i know of a guy that scored 76, he was not shortlisted among the successful candidates, yet some other guy with 69 was shortlisted. Congratulations to the truly successful ones.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by damzbaba: 2:01pm On Sep 24, 2012
Big shout out to the creator and contributors to this thread. I can't imagine what the last month would have been without it. Knowing there was a place to come to, with people in a similar position as yourself seeking the same answers was just immense. To all those that made it, Congrats. And to those that didn't, God has bigger plans for you, just believe. To the victorious 499 once again, Shalom!

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by dualprince: 3:38pm On Sep 24, 2012
rexel99:
SCAM, whole PRESSID stuff reeks of nepotism and corruption. i know of a guy that scored 76, he was not shortlisted among the successful candidates, yet some other guy with 69 was shortlisted. Congratulations to the truly successful ones.

I totally disagree with u on this. We all know dat things have not been done the right way in this country for as long as it existed but that does not give anyone the opportunity to hide in darkness and shoot arrows into light. The reason is dis, I know pple dat we were in dis struggle 2geda n did not get upto 70 bt scored above 65 and were shortlisted without pressing any buttons at all... I am an example although I scored above 70 I don't any one and I was given the award. Summarily, with the situation u just painted, its one of two things that happened:

(1) Ur guy did not score up to 65. If he did, he should paste his text from cinfores here let's see.
(2) The criteria used for shortlisting may not av favored him which is not unusaual as such is life. In dis case for example... Dere may be many pple in his discipline who scored far above him... Pple like pearl adams n co... Lolz
So please we nid 2 make ur findings well before talking if we don't want to damage the unity of this country with our unpatriotic behaviors.
Finally, I want every fairly shortlisted pressid awardee to counter dis blackmail in order to protect their integrity. As for me, I got PRESSID fair n square by the grace of God that was sufficient for me. I rest my case.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by kennyone: 3:53pm On Sep 24, 2012
dualprince:

I totally disagree with u on this. We all know dat things have not been done the right way in this country for as long as it existed but that does not give anyone the opportunity to hide in darkness and shoot arrows into light. The reason is dis, I know pple dat we were in dis struggle 2geda n did not get upto 70 bt scored above 65 and were shortlisted without pressing any buttons at all... I am an example although I scored above 70 I don't any one and I was given the award. Summarily, with the situation u just painted, its one of two things that happened:

(1) Ur guy did not score up to 65. If he did, he should paste his text from cinfores here let's see.
(2) The criteria used for shortlisting may not av favored him which is not unusaual as such is life. In dis case for example... Dere may be many pple in his discipline who scored far above him... Pple like pearl adams n co... Lolz
So please we nid 2 make ur findings well before talking if we don't want to damage the unity of this country with our unpatriotic behaviors.
Finally, I want every fairly shortlisted pressid awardee to counter dis blackmail in order to protect their integrity. As for me, I got PRESSID fair n square by the grace of God that was sufficient for me. I rest my case.
Well I don't want to raise dust but I believed grads from engineering were the top scorers in the test. I scored 64 but didn't make it while someone that scored 65 from the same discipline made it. That's a fair comparison right? But what happened to another candidate from same disciplline with a score of 71? That leaves so much question unanswered. I think NUC had better come out to disclose the criteria used for the selection. As regards the issue of corruption and selection, I quite agree cos someone just told me of how his friend pressed the necessary button to secure the scholarship. You can never take that away from anything in Nigeria if you still love your job cos the powers that put you there will still have a say in whatever you do.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by dualprince: 6:40pm On Sep 24, 2012
kennyone: Well I don't want to raise dust but I believed grads from engineering were the top scorers in the test. I scored 64 but didn't make it while someone that scored 65 from the same discipline made it. That's a fair comparison right? But what happened to another candidate from same disciplline with a score of 71? That leaves so much question unanswered. I think NUC had better come out to disclose the criteria used for the selection. As regards the issue of corruption and selection, I quite agree cos someone just told me of how his friend pressed the necessary button to secure the scholarship. You can never take that away from anything in Nigeria if you still love your job cos the powers that put you there will still have a say in whatever you do.

I understand where u are coming from.... Its possible dat a few pple were given d scholarship without being qualified bt I can bet that dis scholarship scores well above 80percent on transparency which I tink its a distinction by any standard. Thanks.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by logbon72: 8:13pm On Sep 24, 2012
rexel99:

kennyone: Well I don't want to raise dust but I believed grads from engineering were the top scorers in the test. I scored 64 but didn't make it while someone that scored 65 from the same discipline made it. That's a fair comparison right? But what happened to another candidate from same disciplline with a score of 71? That leaves so much question unanswered. I think NUC had better come out to disclose the criteria used for the selection. As regards the issue of corruption and selection, I quite agree cos someone just told me of how his friend pressed the necessary button to secure the scholarship. You can never take that away from anything in Nigeria if you still love your job cos the powers that put you there will still have a say in whatever you do.

@rexel99

I guess someone already mentioned that SSCE result was supposed to take up to 30% and the Aptitude test, 70%, so it's possible your friend does not have a very good SSCE result.

I had 65, but I had about 6 A1s in my SSCE, so it's possible that was what favored me, but truth be told, I don't know anybody but God, so may be we should ask for the crieria first before criticizing.

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by olusuccess2012: 10:01pm On Sep 24, 2012
In all fairness and sincerity I can see Nigeria getting out of her predicaments if the procedures adopted for this PRESSID could be applied in all sectors of the national system. PRESSID is fair. I scored 62. Somebody, a friend I met at the test centre called me that the list is out and that my name was there. Tears of joy flowed freely from my eyes and I asked myself: how come is it that somebody like me, a son of MR NOBODY made the list. I quickly called some other guys that I know from my discipline ECONOMICS one scored 65 and d other 62 as well they both made. My findings revealed that our o level results are in the same category 4 A1s,2 B3s, 3 CREDITS. SO, IF somebody has been using combined o level results over the years I think it is disadvantageous in this situation. Summarily, if we condemn PRESSID, we are condemning ourselves and by implication we don't want Nigeria to proceed. Check the list 7 candidates came for d test from BAYELSA only 1 made d FINAL LIST. God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by pearlAdams: 11:05pm On Sep 24, 2012
@rexel99, am glad u ended by sayin "Congratulations to the truly successful ones". I tink ther's over 80% fairness in the entire processsad 1) The shortlisting for d test was strictly based on d laid down criteria nt qouta.( 2) imagine if our scores were nt shown to us, dis argument wil nt arise in d 1st place. I'd lik u to consider wat Mr Dualprince said n b sure ur guy actually scored 76, if he did let him come to ABJ on d 8th cos I doubt if any criteria can deny such a score d list. That's nt to say 1 or 2 persons didn't get in wit ther connections, bt I tink merit was considered 1st b4 any oda tin. most of us had nobody bt baba God. So far so good, KUDOS to PRESSID. Once again Congratulations to y'all who made it, to those who didn't, we truly feel ur pain bt God's plans 4 u is stil intact. Much luv
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 7:24am On Sep 25, 2012
This thread has so far (in my opinion) been the most decent I've seen on nairaland, with people freely expressing their opinions very responsibly.
I know and understand that anybody who doesn't make the final list will not be very happy to miss this kind of opportunity due to the kind of test we did in Abuja (which I feel, almost everyone would feel that: with much more time could have been answered almost perfectly, and the test didn't really evaluate our abilities in our various fields), despite my reservations about the quality of the test, I want to clearly state here that: I WAS AWARDED THE SCHOLARSHIP WITHOUT "LOBBYING" WITH ANYONE OR INFLUENCING IT IN ANY OTHER WAY. Even if I can't verify the claims of other people, at least I can verify mine, even if others can possibly lie to me, I can't lie to myself. So I'm another 1/101 fraction of the 101 awardees who got the scholarship without knowing anyone to influence it, but God. However, as previously noted, being told a score by anyone does not mean it's the truth, I can't even trust the scores posted by people in this anonymous online forum anymore, how are you sure people are posting their true scores? Or that they aren't trying to arouse sympathy (which is quite easy to get if you post a higher score than you really got) under these circumstances? although, I didn't want to raise any controversy, mention names or say anything about it before, but now, I just want to point one fact out to buttress my point to anyone that has been very observant here that: even here on nairaland, some people have posted different scores on different occasions, which one is their "real score"? ...That is not very consistent, and for that observation alone, I'm sorry I can't trust any PRESSID score posted on nairaland again, and even changed my mind about those I trusted before. But that doesn't mean that all posted scores were wrong anyway.
If WAEC results were truly used, it means that you'll need to know people's "true" waec results before making any judgement. based on what was previously explained, it's possible to score from as low as 5 to as high as 30 from WAEC results and test scores would be multiplied by 0.7 with 70 as the maximum score. so, in a hypothetical situation that someone with a "high test score" such as 80, but with "not a very good" WAEC result and scored just 5 points. That person will then score (80x0.7)+5=56+5=61, even someone who scored 50 (which is an average test score) but has 30points from waec will score higher (65) than the person in that hypothetical situation with a "high" test score. This is not to say that I supported the use of WAEC results (you can read my previous posts to verify) and someone (maybe whizkidy) even said it could be used to defend corruption or nepotism, but I'll prefer to say it this way: it actually makes it more difficult to know the final score because we can't know the quality of the WAEC result of all the candidates, which actually creates more controversies or uncertainties (the fact that I was awarded, should not blur my sense of judgement). So, it's better to actually find out if there are people who intended to study the same course with you that were awarded, but had the same or less scores than you in both the test and/or WAEC results, Then you have a right to complain or protest!. I still feel that we all should have made it, but it may not be too fair (on those who were awarded without any corruption or nepotism) to say it's all a SCAM. Imagine and consider that: there is no criteria that will favour all the 449 as long as it's 101 that'll be selected out of the 449, another criteria (whether quota or merit-based) may favour you but it will always be at the expense of some other people. If I didn't make it too, although I may not have talked or reacted the way you did, but it would surely have pained me too, so, I honestly feel the pain of those that didn't make it. Above all, better things lie ahead of us all whether with PRESSID or not. May God help us all (amen).
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by dualprince: 9:32am On Sep 25, 2012
PhatIon: This thread has so far (in my opinion) been the most decent I've seen on nairaland, with people freely expressing their opinions very responsibly.
I know and understand that anybody who doesn't make the final list will not be very happy to miss this kind of opportunity due to the kind of test we did in Abuja (which I feel, almost everyone will feel that: with much more time could have been answered almost perfectly, and the test didn't evaluate our abilities in our various fields), despite my reservations about the quality of the test, I want to clearly state here that: I WAS AWARDED THE SCHOLARSHIP WITHOUT "LOBBYING" WITH ANYONE OR INFLUENCING IT IN ANY OTHER WAY. Even if I can't verify the claims of other people, at least I can verify mine, even if others can possibly lie to me, I can't lie to myself. So I'm another 1/101 fraction of the 101 awardees who got the scholarship without knowing anyone to influence it, but God. However, as previously noted, being told a score by anyone does not mean it's the truth, I can't even trust the scores posted by people in this anonymous online forum anymore, how are you sure people are posting their true scores? Or that they aren't trying to arouse sympathy (which is quite easy to get if you post a higher score than you really got) under these circumstances? although, I didn't want to raise any controversy, mention names or say anything about it before, but now, I just want to point one fact out to buttress my point to anyone that has been very observant here that: even here on nairaland, some people have pasted different scores on different occasions, which one is their "real score"? ...That is not very consitent, and for that observation alone, I'm sorry I can't trust any PRESSID score posted on nairaland again, and even changed my mind about those I trusted before. But that doesn't mean that all posted scores were wrong anyway.
If WAEC results were truly used, it means that you'll need to know people's "true" waec results before making any judgement. based on what was previously explained, it's possible to score from as low as 5 to as high as 30 from WAEC results and test scores would be multiplied by 0.7 with 70 as the maximum score. so, in a hypothetical situation that someone with a "high test score" such as 80, but with "not a very good" WAEC result and scored just 5 points. That person will then score (80x0.7)+5=56+5=61, even someone who scored 50 (which is an average test score) but has 30points from waec will score higher (65) than the person in that hypothetical situation with a "high" test score. This is not to say that I supported the use of WAEC results (you can read my previous posts to verify) and someone (maybe whizkidy) even said it could be used to defend corruption or nepotism, but I'll prefer to say it this way: it actually makes it more difficult to know the final score because we can't know the quality of the WAEC result of all the candidates, which actually creates more controversies or uncertainties (the fact that I was awarded, should not blur my sense of judgement). So, it's better to actually find out if there are people who intended to study the same course with you that were awarded, but had the same or less scores than you in both the test and/or WAEC results, Then you have a right to complain or protest!. I still feel that we all should have made it, but it may not be too fair (on those who were awarded without any corruption or nepotism) to say it's all a SCAM. Imagine and consider that: there is no criteria that will favour all the 449 as long as it's 101 that'll be selected out of the 449, another criteria (whether quota or merit-based) may favour you but it will always be at the expense of some other people. If I didn't make it too, although I may not have talked or reacted the way you did, but it will surely have pained me too, so, I honestly feel the pain of those that didn't make it. Above all, better things lie ahead of us all whether with PRESSID or not. May God help us all (amen).

Thanks once again Mr PhatIon for being as articulate as expected.... I appreciate u all for standing up to this challenge.... Our generation must value INTEGRITY which is wat d generation of our leaders fail to have..... God bless us all and I believe our generation will be better leaders IJN (Amen)
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by ijanarado: 11:50am On Sep 25, 2012
Most schools in uk have their research programme open thru out the year. Edinburgh and UCL for exmaple have start dates every month. Though it's gonna be MPhil PhD things. So we can try check dat out too. December or January resumption isnt bad afterall. wat's u guys take on dis
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Nkematics(m): 12:12pm On Sep 25, 2012
Please,could someone here tell me where I can register for GRE and TOEFL in Abuja, and a rough estimate of the registration fee. I contacted someone through a link I got online,and I was informed that TOEFL=35K and GRE=40K. I don't know whether the information is true. I need an urgent reply,please.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by truz(f): 8:15pm On Sep 25, 2012
Nkematics: Please,could someone here tell me where I can register for GRE and TOEFL in Abuja, and a rough estimate of the registration fee. I contacted someone through a link I got online,and I was informed that TOEFL=35K and GRE=40K. I don't know whether the information is true. I need an urgent reply,please.

You can contact First Logic. Their contact details are shown below:

Abuja Office, 784a Herbert Macaulay Way, Ground Floor Nigerian Re-insurance Building.
Email- Abj@firstlogicng.com
Tel- +234-9-6710039, +234-9-2909224.

The prices of GRE and TOEFL exams depends on where you register to write them. But the estimate you have given is quite okay.

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by truz(f): 8:24pm On Sep 25, 2012
PhatIon: This thread has so far (in my opinion) been the most decent I've seen on nairaland, with people freely expressing their opinions very responsibly.
I know and understand that anybody who doesn't make the final list will not be very happy to miss this kind of opportunity due to the kind of test we did in Abuja (which I feel, almost everyone will feel that: with much more time could have been answered almost perfectly, and the test didn't evaluate our abilities in our various fields), despite my reservations about the quality of the test, I want to clearly state here that: I WAS AWARDED THE SCHOLARSHIP WITHOUT "LOBBYING" WITH ANYONE OR INFLUENCING IT IN ANY OTHER WAY. Even if I can't verify the claims of other people, at least I can verify mine, even if others can possibly lie to me, I can't lie to myself. So I'm another 1/101 fraction of the 101 awardees who got the scholarship without knowing anyone to influence it, but God. However, as previously noted, being told a score by anyone does not mean it's the truth, I can't even trust the scores posted by people in this anonymous online forum anymore, how are you sure people are posting their true scores? Or that they aren't trying to arouse sympathy (which is quite easy to get if you post a higher score than you really got) under these circumstances? although, I didn't want to raise any controversy, mention names or say anything about it before, but now, I just want to point one fact out to buttress my point to anyone that has been very observant here that: even here on nairaland, some people have pasted different scores on different occasions, which one is their "real score"? ...That is not very consitent, and for that observation alone, I'm sorry I can't trust any PRESSID score posted on nairaland again, and even changed my mind about those I trusted before. But that doesn't mean that all posted scores were wrong anyway.
If WAEC results were truly used, it means that you'll need to know people's "true" waec results before making any judgement. based on what was previously explained, it's possible to score from as low as 5 to as high as 30 from WAEC results and test scores would be multiplied by 0.7 with 70 as the maximum score. so, in a hypothetical situation that someone with a "high test score" such as 80, but with "not a very good" WAEC result and scored just 5 points. That person will then score (80x0.7)+5=56+5=61, even someone who scored 50 (which is an average test score) but has 30points from waec will score higher (65) than the person in that hypothetical situation with a "high" test score. This is not to say that I supported the use of WAEC results (you can read my previous posts to verify) and someone (maybe whizkidy) even said it could be used to defend corruption or nepotism, but I'll prefer to say it this way: it actually makes it more difficult to know the final score because we can't know the quality of the WAEC result of all the candidates, which actually creates more controversies or uncertainties (the fact that I was awarded, should not blur my sense of judgement). So, it's better to actually find out if there are people who intended to study the same course with you that were awarded, but had the same or less scores than you in both the test and/or WAEC results, Then you have a right to complain or protest!. I still feel that we all should have made it, but it may not be too fair (on those who were awarded without any corruption or nepotism) to say it's all a SCAM. Imagine and consider that: there is no criteria that will favour all the 449 as long as it's 101 that'll be selected out of the 449, another criteria (whether quota or merit-based) may favour you but it will always be at the expense of some other people. If I didn't make it too, although I may not have talked or reacted the way you did, but it will surely have pained me too, so, I honestly feel the pain of those that didn't make it. Above all, better things lie ahead of us all whether with PRESSID or not. May God help us all (amen).

Well said!!

2 Likes

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by rexel99: 12:29pm On Sep 26, 2012
dualprince:

guy, what other criteria is NUC mearnt to use aside the test scores, NUC has come out to start recently dat the WAEC scores were used!!! For God sake , when u start using such metric or criteria's, we all know that some sort of funny things will take place, NUC can easily hide under the guise that even though Mr A scored higher than me, he was called cos his WAEC score was better than urs. Why didnt NUC specify the type of WAEC result they want b4 the candidates applied. It horrible and their is no need justifying it cos u were successful. am sure if a candidates contest this further, he might even b told '' oh, we used the school u graduated from as a criteria too.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by truz(f): 7:37pm On Sep 26, 2012
rexel99:

guy, what other criteria is NUC mearnt to use aside the test scores, NUC has come out to start recently dat the WAEC scores were used!!! For God sake , when u start using such metric or criteria's, we all know that some sort of funny things will take place, NUC can easily hide under the guise that even though Mr A scored higher than me, he was called cos his WAEC score was better than urs. Why didnt NUC specify the type of WAEC result they want b4 the candidates applied. It horrible and their is no need justifying it cos u were successful. am sure if a candidates contest this further, he might even b told '' oh, we used the school u graduated from as a criteria too.

I'm sorry you feel this way, but I suggest you forward your grievances to NUC. They will be able to give you a better explanation.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Ayo47: 10:11pm On Sep 26, 2012
Thanks to everyone that read and replied my post concerning making a first class,to be frank you all have just put in me confidence,that by God's grace and favour I can make a first class and at the end share the story of how u all made me know that i have greatness in me.I will like to say Gods favour will cover and envolope us all in Jesus name amen.Climbing to meet u all at the top my dearest MENTORS.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by dualprince: 10:20am On Sep 27, 2012
@all please does any1 av info on schools dat av start dates as early as jan or feb next year and their application is still on? Please guys let's talk about this cos it seems all d entry date I can see is sept 2013 which I tink is too far frm now.
Thanks
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 1:05pm On Sep 27, 2012
All awardees should please check their mailboxes for some additional information from NUC. Thanks
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by truz(f): 1:08pm On Sep 27, 2012
dualprince: @all please does any1 av info on schools dat av start dates as early as jan or feb next year and their application is still on? Please guys let's talk about this cos it seems all d entry date I can see is sept 2013 which I tink is too far frm now.
Thanks

Check Northwestern University and Columbia University. Their Engineering applications are still open for January (Northwestern only) and March (Columbia and Northwestern) entries. I don't know about other courses. They require GRE and TOEFL.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Abooks: 2:56pm On Sep 27, 2012
Hey guys. Just joining the group. I guess I've missed a lot. I need to find out if there are still schools open for the January Session. Most of the 25 Universities have closed application for September which is reasonably so. Secondly I want to find out about the guarantors they need, those it have to be specific.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Abooks: 2:58pm On Sep 27, 2012
PhatIon: All awardees should please check their mailboxes for some additional information from NUC. Thanks
Just saw mine too but I don't understand it myself.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Immortal1(m): 8:31am On Sep 28, 2012
For those questioning d integrity of d whole process, I couldn't help but shake my head @ u all. I once posted a detailed criteria used 4d selection. Trust me on dis, NOT ONE person was shortlisted that wasn't based on merit! I guess u guys do not know Prof. Julius Okojie 4rm a close range, so u can blab all u want. Probably, u've been so used 2 a Nigeria of lies that u can no longer recognise sth truthful wen u see one. Lol. Cheers 2 all.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by zzaacx: 11:25am On Sep 28, 2012
Just went through the complete list... I believe how power is shared... The nuc should have looked at how other boards award sholarships.. Eg ptdf, nitda and the rest.. Out of 100 over 20 come from one state... I believe there is something wrong somewhere.. Over 60 people from the list A̶̲̥̅̊я̲̣ε̲̣ from one geo political zone... What happened t̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ unity and the one nigeria we have been thought in pri schools...
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by dualprince: 7:30pm On Sep 28, 2012
zzaacx: Just went through the complete list... I believe how power is shared... The nuc should have looked at how other boards award sholarships.. Eg ptdf, nitda and the rest.. Out of 100 over 20 come from one state... I believe there is something wrong somewhere.. Over 60 people from the list A̶̲̥̅̊я̲̣ε̲̣ from one geo political zone... What happened t̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ unity and the one nigeria we have been thought in pri schools...

I don't want to question ur undastanding of unity, but, I must say that many nigerians have mistaken emotional and unethical "quota-based resource sharing" for federal character and unity in diversity which results in mediocrity rather than merit. What is d essence of paying lip service to unity when our actions are directly tearing the country apart. Let us stand by merit so that our country can develop n ever1 can wait patiently for his/ her time without cutting corners. If a system is fair u don't need to beat it all u nid to do is improve your capabilities and u will benefit frm the system. By improving your capabilities u will directly or indirectly improve ur environment and dats how d development will go round until it circulates our entire nation. The preaching of unity via corrupt practices on the other hand will only lead us to anarchy. No one will develop anytin and mediocrity will carry d day. I want to appeal to this generation of youths to format every iota of deceit already stored in their memories by dis leading generation and embrace a culture of merit which will get us to our desired peak. Thanks. No b me holy pass ooo... Loolz

5 Likes

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by GiantParrot(m): 9:55pm On Sep 28, 2012
zzaacx: Just went through the complete list... I believe how power is shared... The nuc should have looked at how other boards award sholarships.. Eg ptdf, nitda and the rest.. Out of 100 over 20 come from one state... I believe there is something wrong somewhere.. Over 60 people from the list A̶̲̥̅̊я̲̣ε̲̣ from one geo political zone... What happened t̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ unity and the one nigeria we have been thought in pri schools...

With ptdf, NITDA and the rest, Nigeria has in no way become a better place. Mediocrity must never be substituted for merit because of geopolitical zone,quota system etc. else Nigeria will remain in the dark ages. The people who got the awards are coming to serve Nigeria, not their geopolitical zones or states. If mediocrity keeps surpassing quality in the name of quota system, then Nigeria will continue to spiral downwards into the abyss. I stand for Meritocracy because 1. It is reasonable and 2. Because Nigeria is one of the few countries that do not understand what it means and is heading for doom as a result. Your feeble attempt to use unity as a reason for promoting mediocrity will not augur well with any well meaning and patriotic Nigerian. The truth sometimes bites.

2 Likes

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 10:51pm On Sep 28, 2012
dualprince:

I don't want to question ur undastanding of unity, but, I must say that many nigerians have mistaken emotional and unethical "quota-based resource sharing" for federal character and unity in diversity which results in mediocrity rather than merit. What is d essence of paying lip service to unity when our actions are directly tearing the country apart. Let us stand by merit so that our country can develop n ever1 can wait patiently for his/ her time without cutting corners. If a system is fair u don't need to beat it all u nid to do is improve your capabilities and u will benefit frm the system. By improving your capabilities u will directly or indirectly improve ur environment and dats how d development will go round until it circulates our entire nation. The preaching of unity via corrupt practices on the other hand will only lead us to anarchy. No one will develop anytin and mediocrity will carry d day. I want to appeal to this generation of youths to format every iota of deceit already stored in their memories by dis leading generation and embrace a culture of merit which will get us to our desired peak. Thanks. No b me holy pass ooo... Loolz

Well said... I CONCUR...

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (44) (Reply)

Direct Entry Admission 2015 / UNIOSUN Lecturer Sends Female Student Out Of Class For Indecent Dressing / Universities Pull Out Of ASUU Strike 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.