Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,974 members, 7,799,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? (19577 Views)

Where Did You Meet Your Spouse / My Husband ‘fingers’ Our Daughters While Bathing Them: Wife Tells Judge / Responsible Women Are Not Materialistic True Or False? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by obowunmi(m): 8:23pm On Aug 14, 2012
Yes I believe Nigerians have lost their moral standards. But I strongly believe that it is a MYTH promoted by Nollywood and such and many of you have come to believe it as real.

1. Nigeria has more women than men

2. Most men are jobless, unemployed, or underemployed

3. Most men seem to be getting married, if women are so materialistic as you have stated, who is marrying these men?

4. Has to be the same women you call materialistic. Yes, there are Aristos, yes - women enjoy polygamus marriages, relationships , and flings with wealthy men (no matter how they have gotten their money).

You the few is not applicable to all because Poor, jobless, underemployed, and unemployed men are marrying someone.

Happiness in these marriages is another topic, but don't let messages conveyed in Nollywood be applicable to all.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Aug 14, 2012
Favben: I laugh in wazobia. In any case I pity any sweetheart that will or intends to play such games with moi cos she will be so disappointed. More like dip your hand in my pocket and take it.

Most ladies have lost their dream husbands due to greed. They want to eat everything today and drain him till he has nothing for tomorrow and some of their mothers' support them. Its really shameful.

Shame to any man that supports a lady with such character. A woman with a sense of independence can never be rubbished rather men will fall at her feet.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Aug 14, 2012
guys are they cause of materialism in girls....buy her everything she demands even if it's very stupid or unnecessary just to get into her pants. cars, phones, expensive bags etc for a hole that has no variant just the face and body shape.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by oluseye5(m): 8:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]
nigerian women are generally greedy, all becos they want 2 be dere friends day hav 4gotten fingers are neva equal if only u want 2 caught them.....and that what this girl do they caught this finger by literally not given their b.f or husband any opportunity to do sometin else apart from spending on them....am nt trying to crusify these women cos i have a mother bt at least 85% of them are materialistic thats the truth
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by ifyalways(f): 8:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
The society,family,church all knows,respect and understand ONLY money language.No one cares how the money is made,the end(brazilian weave,car,designer bags/shoes) justifies the means.

Men share part of the blame too.They give and give as if they are foooools. cheesy. How else do you explain a man meeting a girl today and giving her 100K for shopping the next day?
Demand and supply;perfect market.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by obowunmi(m): 8:27pm On Aug 14, 2012
There are more poor, unemployed, underemployed, jobless men than there are rich or wealthy men....and these poor men are getting married by the dozens.

Its a bit unfair to say Nigerian women are materialistic. Logically and looking at available statistical data, it doesn't make sense.

The number of women getting married to poor men is way higher than the number of women fu,ck,ing the rich.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by bamaiyii(m): 8:27pm On Aug 14, 2012
They learn it when their parents fail in their responsibilty they simply shit it to a innocent young man to bear above all laziness and greed.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by obowunmi(m): 8:30pm On Aug 14, 2012
ifyalways: The Men share part of the blame too.They give and give as if they are foooools. cheesy. How else do you explain a man meeting a girl today and giving her 100K for shopping the next day?
Demand and supply;perfect market.

Na toto cause am.....na toto sweet die.

Looking for toto and looking for wife na two different matter. In Naija, you must pay for toto.

4 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by bigfat: 8:35pm On Aug 14, 2012
[size=30pt]DSTV[/size]
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by micklplus(m): 8:39pm On Aug 14, 2012
This is a beautiful topic and believe me, it can't be over-emphasised!

The greed has to do with value system and again, some girls wanna dress, walk, fart sef like beyonce! Whereas they always forget that, beyonce WORKED for her cash!

The society is all abouy cash, money and more money. It is so sad!!!!!
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by buzugee(m): 8:43pm On Aug 14, 2012
ban
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Aug 14, 2012
obowunmi: There are more poor, unemployed, underemployed, jobless men than there are rich or wealthy men....and these poor men are getting married by the dozens.

Its a bit unfair to say Nigerian women are materialistic. Logically and looking at available statistical data, it doesn't make sense.

The number of women getting married to poor men is way higher than the number of women fu,ck,ing the rich.

A woman being greedy does not mean she must marry a rich man. They are 2 different things. Okay, keep waiting for rich man and enter 40years now.

If wishes were horses, beggars will ride. We mean that 80% of Nigerian girls want to reap where they did not sow. Once you propose or express some sort of interest in her, the man becomes an ATM (machine)

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 14, 2012
oluite: Growing up as a young girl,it was unheard of to live beyond your pocket money,questions will be asked if your hairdo was too expensive or you have what my mum calls 'unusuals' in your wardrobe or amongst your stuff.Accepting gifts from guys,wahala!!!There must be an acceptable explanation.Talk less of actually asking a guy for money.It was drummed into our ears you must have values,be contented,work hard,be independent et al.

Recently i was so embarrassed when some guys in my office where complaining about todays chics, a guy travelled with his girlfriend for a wedding,he paid all expenses.Suddenly the girlfriend sister and friend appeared in the airport expecting the guy to foot their travel expenses as they claimed to be stranded.These are all working class ladies.Of course no plan to pay back and his girl friend didn't see anything wrong in this arrangement.Another time,a young working class girl ended a relationship majorly because the guy couldn't give her a specific amount for her monthly upkeep. Please she knew exactly what he was earning as well and it wasn't so fantastic?!

I heard and seen many of such from young working women,only to come across a thread here with something similar.Mothers can we discuss this? How did this become the in thing today,where many working single women expect the men in their lives to foot all their bills? Maybe some women are not aware that this is not a good attitude and there should always be balance,boundaries....

God will bless virtuous women like you always for saying the truth. Now listen, if you are wondering where they learnt it, look no further than NOLLYWOOD, if you can, ban NOLLYWOOD films et al in your household. Honestly, no NOLLYWOOD actor or actress as they call themselves, to me, deserves a single award because they destroyed our heritage, taught our women to be materialistic & lazy, made Nigerian girls believe in a man make money come & take them to a finished mansion for them to sit at home eat & cross leg to watch movies all day with 30 house slaves they call maids running the house for them. NOLLYWOOD taught Nigerian girls in higher institutions how to do aristo, reformed-prostitution & all the likes. so to answer your question ma, its NOLLYWOOD & some musical videos in Nigeria. seriously, Nigerian censorship body is dead & was dead!
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by dayokanu(m): 8:50pm On Aug 14, 2012
Tgirl4real: What you mentioned is now the order of the day. In the real sense of it, they are not our daughters. They are our colleagues, neighbors, and sometimes friends.

We mothers should endeavour to train our daughters up in a manner that will not bring disgrace to us in the future.

The same women who believe the husband should be responsible for all their expenses
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by duni04(m): 8:50pm On Aug 14, 2012
obowunmi: Its a MYTH that Nigerian women are into money this much. I don't believe this is true. Men who live above and beyond their means because of a woman are the ones complaining the most. If you have to pretend and live above your means to be with a woman, it means, it is not meant to be.

There are many women in Nigeria that marry for love and I choose to see and believe that.
I don't think you live in this country, if you do, I don't think you interact much with Nigerian girls or maybe you're gay. Mtchewww
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by dayokanu(m): 8:51pm On Aug 14, 2012
We are getting somewhere
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by aribisala0(m): 8:57pm On Aug 14, 2012
190*:
blame it on their mom

you hear a mother saying, prisilla you nor dey shame
go look your friend philomena kant you see how rich and sophisticated she is
not know whats behind philomena's wealth either her ritual boyfriend or shes a prostitute
that would giger the poor girl into going out for the money at all cost

but to be honest, i think most Nigerian gurls are materialistic as a result of peer pressure of wanting 2 belong!

its pathetic!!
I am sorry but this is an ethnic thing as well as a class thing. Not all Nigerian groups do this.Those that do know themselves.

Those kids whose parents take them to see Santa don't do dat. Study the girls who do it well,even their vocab gives them away . You will hear them use words like ;Janglovaa, Blocos and such like. Anyway na monkey and monkey dey jump grin
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by mevisbleek: 8:58pm On Aug 14, 2012
The problem is not the women but the men. Naija men find it difficult to tell women that THEY CANNOT AFFORD SOMETHING. Guys then earlier u start saying to ur woman "BABY I CANNOT AFFORD THIS", the better for us all.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by obowunmi(m): 9:01pm On Aug 14, 2012
duni04:
I don't think you live in this country, if you do, I don't think you interact much with Nigerian girls or maybe you're gay. Mtchewww

This comment is soo cute. LoooooooooL ---

I'm not disputing that there aren't money hungry, gold-diggin, greedy, brazillian weave loving, KFC fried chicken wanting, and freeloading chicks...I'm just looking at things differently.

Women have always loved men with money and there are many women that desire to be social climbers. You have polygamous stories of MKO, Fela, Tuface, Obasanjo with plenty wives, concubines, and girlfriend. Its not a new phenomenon or trend.

I even know women fasting and praying for Adenuga's son....but is it a new phenomenon? NO. Who no like better thing.

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by obowunmi(m): 9:07pm On Aug 14, 2012
Let every MAN and WOMAN, cut his or her coat according to his size. Paying for toto is different from calling a woman a wife....

If it takes you recharge cards, brazillian weaves, or a trip to Dubai to sleep with a yellow pawpaw....if those are your life goals, how is that anyone elses problem?

Desperate economic problems calls for desperate solutions.

4 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by BlackBaron: 9:12pm On Aug 14, 2012
They are simply products of the society.
Money is the number 1 God in the society and most will do anything to get it. Couple that to their warped mentality regarding any and every male as their sole provider even when unmarried and you get your answer.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by nairamanforever: 9:12pm On Aug 14, 2012
Everything they hear and take in is encouraging materialism:

For example
Radio/Music - Current and most popular artistes always talking about blowing champagne in the club,etc
Nollywood- Already been said
DSTV - All that kardashian nonsense,etc. On this note, you should come and see my friends mom - She's absolutely addicted to one show called "Big Rich Texas" on that style network.

Its not just one thing. Its a confluence of very strong factors all working harmoniously........... or disharmoniously I should say
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by safarigirl(f): 9:18pm On Aug 14, 2012
Everyone trying to live up to imaginary standards set up by the 'JONESES'. Parents have always taught that a man is the sole provider, they fail to highlight the true use of the female, only hammering on 'cooking, housekeeping and baby production, hence ladies feel like sucking the dude dry is a way of getting paid. When guys use gurls, profess their love, only to dump you when they've gotten what they want, your body, you learn to use them too. You give em the dough, you just might get laid. Prost1tution comes in different packages, it's a dog eat dog world.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by nairamanforever: 9:19pm On Aug 14, 2012
And one more thing about nigerian music
I really do think its brainwashing impressionable youngsters from a very very young age and is really such a sad sight to witness. Just today, as I was driving back home, I heard a song on the radio where the chorus was "She likes the taste of my sugercane". Now, for a 10-year old girl or boy for that matter, growing up and hearing this stuff when they're going to school or coming back home on a regular basis, what kind of values do you think they are going to uphold .
Nigerian radio needs much more accountability. We have to get the trash out
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 14, 2012
Blame it on the collapse of the family system,poverty,peer pressure,juvenile deliquency,western and moral decadence,parental failure,increase in sociopathic activities,falling standard of moral,formal and informal education among others.

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Aug 14, 2012
I was almost thinking there`s something about me that makes them always ask or maybe i`ve been dating the wrong girls. Maybe both.
I`m tired of this and that is why i`m still single.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by ronkebp(f): 9:23pm On Aug 14, 2012
Where else if not from the men? the men started this nonsense "paying and bribing their way up...and even down too'...so the women have seen easy ticket to everlasting feeding and showoff.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by benz33(m): 9:31pm On Aug 14, 2012
Please i need
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:31pm On Aug 14, 2012
debrief08: So I am really saddened by this trend, greed greed every where grab grab, like death the bilbe says a greedy man or woman never has enough, he takes everybodys share without a conscience.
Money shouldn't define or make us, money is a means to an end not the end, for me the benefits of money is to be able to share, give people who have no access to education an opportunity to be educated, give people who can't afford medical care some help.
Churches don't make it easier, I was suprised when the same University girl with the car came and invited me to church for her car dedication, I asked her if the Pastor didn't ask where she got the car, she said her pastor only asked that she bring a fat offering for dedication. Everywhere you turn, its money money money, people who define themselves by clothes, and other materialistic items.
We should also teach our kids the benefit of hard work not cheap money. My son already knows that the worst way he can ask for anything is to tell me he wants it because so and so has it. I have taught him that he doesn't need to have everything others have, he needs to be content and appreciative, and also learn to share and not just demand
u jst purged out wats on my mind. Let's assume dat poverty or poor family background s d cause of sum ladies quest 4 having Aristos, demanding money 4rm dr boyfriend/fiance, wats d problem of d working class or well 2 do ladies dat r okay but still want 2 suck 4rm men. It's absolutely absurd. All dey tink all day s how 2 chop maga's money.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by madeinnigeria: 9:32pm On Aug 14, 2012
Majority of gals nowadayz only see guyz as their lottery ticket...and funny enuf its not like majority of them are from a poor family..one thing i have noticed about ladies is that they are not alwayz satisfied with satisfaction

1 Like

Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by dayokanu(m): 9:33pm On Aug 14, 2012
ronkebp: Where else if not from the men? the men started this nonsense "paying and bribing their way up...and even down too'...so the women have seen easy ticket to everlasting feeding and showoff.

Definitely everything must be from the men.

Women have no responsibilty. Ask why they cant get their lazy asss to work Its the men.
Re: Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? by ronkebp(f): 9:36pm On Aug 14, 2012
dayokanu:

Definitely everything must be from the men.

Women have no responsibilty. Ask why they cant get their lazy asss to work Its the men.

And it is not the men, that says ""oh, i don't want my wife to work, i can take care of all her needs" and when the needs become overwhelming, they start to cry.... just like the one that just found out his wife never went to the higher institution and still got married to her, because he has paid 800k for c-section, he is crying now.....abegiii, until when men learn how to control their "kongi and pockets" things will auger well.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

These Adulthood Realities Give Us Nostalgia About Our Childhood Privileges / A Surrogate Mother Needed / Women: Guard Your Beauty, It Is A Blessing!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.