Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,590 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:52 PM

Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms (5767 Views)

Etisalat Modem Not Loading Some Websites / How Do I Block Some Websites And Chat Engine E.g. Yahoo Messenger, Skype Etc / How To Block Some Websites On A PC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Nobody: 8:21am On Dec 23, 2007
I'm having a little problem with my starcomms. i'm on 9pm-9am package, this started like 6 hours ago.

i can't open any website save for
nairaland.com
google.com (gmail and blogger)
bbc
and i guess some others which I'm yet to discover. i can't even open yahoo.

i checked my firefox and IE settings and i didn't see any site restriction thingy.

is anybody and has anybody experienced the same?
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by MrInfo1(m): 8:30am On Dec 23, 2007
firefox and IE are the same na, try opera
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 23, 2007
ok no cause for alarm. surprisingly everything is ok now! but I've got less than 3 mins to go, f&ck! angry
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by MrInfo1(m): 9:38am On Dec 23, 2007
smiley i feel your pain  tongue come join the 24hrs club na! (multilinks) with just 200 naira wink
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by koseepaaro(m): 2:38pm On Dec 23, 2007
Hi Trae z, the problem is not limited to your side alone. I too experienced the problem here in Lagos (since yesterday evening), I can't open any website(except Nairaland and Google, and these Nairaland and Google only open once in a while). I cheched every configuration whether there is a mistake somewhere, but discovered nothing.

When I was fed up, I formatted my hard drive and reload the windows, but this too didn't solve the problem. I again quick formatted my hard drive again and install xp pro (though I previously installed xp unlimited), but I just discovered that I can now open any website as at around 10 0'clock this morning till the time of posting the message. Only God know the root cause!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Nobody: 9:23pm On Dec 23, 2007
@infobaba: no thanks man, i'm comfortable with starcomms for now.

@:koseepaaro: man the actions you took were way too drastic shocked formatting your hard drive is serious business, it should hardly ever be done! being that it was the first time you should have waited a little more maybe even try installing the data aircard on another laptop to see if it was a PC problem. i was ready to chill for at least a day and then report @ starcomms if the problem persisted. anyway thank God it's all over, at least for now.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Seun(m): 10:49pm On Dec 23, 2007
How did you guys get the Starcomms data card? Did you have to go to their head office?
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by showbobo(m): 11:08pm On Dec 23, 2007
its a problem from starcomms and i experienced it as well.You shouldnt have formatted your PC when that happened.Next time such thing occurs,all you need do is call one or two people and confirm if its a general problem.

@Seun

you can get the data card from any starcomms shop not only their head office.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by emmerks(m): 12:02am On Dec 24, 2007
next time be a little bit patient b4 formatting. stsarcomms is really crazy this days, i guess we need another telecom company that can compete with dem.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by uf4oma(f): 12:26am On Dec 24, 2007
It's not only starcomms that has problems. My friend uses multilinks or one of these other ones and throughout last week, I had to keep checking some things for her on gumtree.com cos she couldn't open their site.  Even when she went to a cyber cafe, it was the same problem. At home, in the office, at the cybercafe she could not open this particular site. This morning, sunday morning, that is, we could not log on to yahoo mail. I think yahoo in itself sometimes has problems.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by MrInfo1(m): 12:54am On Dec 24, 2007
problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Seun(m): 2:01am On Dec 24, 2007
uf4oma:

It's not only starcomms that has problems. My friend uses multilinks or one of these other ones and throughout last week, I had to keep checking some things for her on gumtree.com because she couldn't open their site. Even when she went to a cyber cafe, it was the same problem. At home, in the office, at the cybercafe she could not open this particular site.
I think gumtree blocks all Nigerian traffic. Craigslist used to do that too. It's because of those scammers.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by koseepaaro(m): 9:29am On Dec 24, 2007
Did you know the reason why I formatted my hard drive? The headache was too much for me, and I'm the type that can't do without surfing the web in a day. So, that was why I took such long process, after checking all my settings and discovered nothing that was misconfigured. And again, I just reloaded my (desktop PC) system and configured the internet connection myself a day before the problem, and was thinking whether I make mistake in the modem that I configured.

As per Starcomms, I don't use Starcomms, I used mts. So, I don't think the problem come from the service providers since different people using different service provider all conplained about this.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Rogo: 12:05pm On Dec 24, 2007
pls anyone with starcomms website or knows if they have service phone system for office use (wireless for office) should help with their contact. thanks
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Rogo: 12:14pm On Dec 24, 2007
pls anyone with starcomms website or knows if they have service phone system for office use (wireless for office) should help with their contact. or information about other service providers like multilink, hottalk. which i can use in Warri Delta State
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by ruemu(m): 1:35pm On Dec 24, 2007
If you are an internet USER (not check and send mails person only) Pls and Pls RUN from STARCOMMS coz watever disguise they pretend to speak ur language either 1x or broadband.
It's a complete SCAM. and a waste of time on your part as a user.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by zheroes(m): 2:01pm On Dec 24, 2007
there are no ISP's in naija period. we should stop fooling ourselves. some come up when the weather is very sunny and go down when its rainy, others come up when its misty and go down when its sunny, only God will help us
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by femzy(m): 3:04pm On Dec 24, 2007
@infobaba,
Thanx for d settings u sent once again.
Plz kindly drop ur contact at femzy112@gmail.com so i'll hola.Lets talk bro.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by surugede(m): 6:50pm On Dec 24, 2007
y e all of u complaining, switch to reltel, still the best,. MAKE IT HAPPEN
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by showbobo(m): 7:30pm On Dec 24, 2007
you can open any of those nigeria ISP blocked websites via www.texasproxy.com
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Sweetaura1(f): 8:51pm On Dec 24, 2007
I use RELTEL data card, the speed is 230.4kbps. Ever since I switched to Reltel I've been at peace with my system. I always get lost days back due to upgrade.

I also have Starcomms' data cards, both 1x & broad band, but they're in the cooler now.

We're yet to get a reliable ISP operator in the country, until that's done let's manage what's available. There'll be a significant change in 2008 when MUBADALA and VISAFONE will commence operation then the competition will be on DATA and not VOICE.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by dejiman(m): 9:05pm On Dec 24, 2007
That's a very good point you have raised if those ISP land country them all go cool down and change for the best. but let us hope those ones too won't fonbu.
Hoping forward to a better 2008
Merry christmas.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Nobody: 9:34pm On Dec 24, 2007
Even me Im using starcomms aircard ooo and the stuff is really messin up.
I think the EVDO services are being updated and u should expect the best soon, Even Reltel dey downgrade, i for buy the reltel card but it's not compatible with Windows vista+they don't have a flexible time option.

The best dial=up now is still MULTILINKS>>>>>>>>>>> sad
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by topkin(m): 10:59pm On Dec 24, 2007
Funny enof I don't use any of Starcomms/Reltel or any CDMA. I stick wit my Glo line and alternate it wit MTN at times. I prefer the MTN though cos of the speed but I use the Glo more often cos their GPRS network is seldom down. They are not perfect either though, but I have the flexibility of using it anywhere I travel to, even in my Village where I am now.

So maybe u guys should try them. It's N12,000 monthly. Cheers
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Nobody: 12:18am On Dec 25, 2007
@ Top Kin, 12 K per month is 2 much, thats like paying 100 Dollars a month just for internet connection, its not worth it.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by cuteNhot(f): 12:23am On Dec 25, 2007
jassie:

@ Top Kin, 12 K per month is 2 much, thats like paying 100 Dollars a month just for internet connection, its not worth it.

tell him bro.
for that money you should get 245 cable channel
unlimited calling time to Us, Uk, and canadian landlines
plus 8mb internet access.
and you should get back change. smiley
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Nobody: 12:29am On Dec 25, 2007
Na Multilinks is da best,

And very cheap,

Starcomms is shit!!!

Merry Xmas to ppl in da HOUSE!!!
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by kaylala(m): 1:02am On Dec 25, 2007
My guy,shit they say happens.

I use [b]Starcomms [/b]and i am on 24hrs platform,the monthly subscription might be on the high i think i am cool with it.

Regards.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Nobody: 1:05am On Dec 25, 2007
@ FAAKAY, Guy nobody dey quarell here, this is just a civilized discussion about internet connection in Nigeria, please don't use vocal languages, there are no rooms for agberos here in Nairaland.
grin grin cheesy wink tongue
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by BabsO2(m): 3:00pm On Dec 25, 2007
My Starcomms works fine. Above 90% uptime. Once its no more connecting I disconnect and re logon and I start surfing again. But on voting sites like the one in Punch news papers I always get the message I have already voted when I try to vote most of the time. As if all of us on starcomms have only one vote ?
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by tai2(m): 4:28pm On Dec 25, 2007
It's a Starcomms DNS problem, use an anonymizer or better still resolve the IP addresses of your intended destination and access it,
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by oldie(m): 4:33pm On Dec 25, 2007
Reltel, Starcom or Multilinks are all the same
They all operate similar voice-centric platforms
When data subscribers on Reltel increase, they will experience the same
problems being encountered by Starcom subs.

Hopefully, better competitors will come on board, by 2008.

I will stick to my Starcom EVDO, until then

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Flash A Nokia Fone Without A Computer / Laptop With Longest Battery Life / My Laptop's Internet Pictures Is Not Clear,pls Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.