Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

Please How Can I Do Self Study In Oracle - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please How Can I Do Self Study In Oracle (1188 Views)

Specto@real Time Experts In Oracle Apps Scm Training / Changing Of Password In Oracle 10g SQL / Droping Tables In Oracle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please How Can I Do Self Study In Oracle by Roseeiy: 10:21am On Aug 15, 2012
I want to study oracle and write good db programs in it, I use vb to write my db programs but will like to upgrade to Oracle and write certificate exam on it. The issue is that I need help on how to go about it and links to online materials cos the materials I v got are still not comprehensive.
Re: Please How Can I Do Self Study In Oracle by naijaswag1: 1:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
You want to write "good db programs" in oracle using vb.I will assume that you already know VB.If yes,why don't you start with expanding your knowledge further into the Microsoft platform.Bill Gates has got MS Access and MS SQL Server(Microsoft's relational database).Learn how to develop simple database driven application using MS Access and then move higher to MS SQL Server.The fact that they exist in the same platform makes the learning process easier and thus faster.Moreover,software engineers typically develop an application on one platform if that platform offers every every necessary product and framework for that project.Except in complex systems when optimization is important,application will span different platforms for performance reasons plus a host of other reasons.There will be full support in your Visual Studio.When you might have acquired these skills,I bet you will now see clearly that using Oracle in your application is now a matter of switching from one database to another(add some drivers and changing your database connections url to talk to oracle)depending on the requirements and specification of your project.Suffice it to say that the key to mastering relational databases directly depends on how much you know to manipulate them and their functionality.To be able to manipulate them,you need to how know SQL and to gain a better understanding of a particular RDBMS,in addition to SQL,you will need to know the platform's proprietary extensions to SQL,example MS SQL Server supports TSQL while Oracle supports PL/SQL.To know their functionality,one or two certification/specialization courses will do you good.

However,if you are a newbie in both VB and Oracle RDBMS.You have to understand that you can learn both concurrently and fuse the knowledge together when you will have reached the point of being able to use VB to develop database driven application.If you want to learn VB,I will advice that you follow the advice in the first paragraph,learn VB and use it to develop database driven applications on the Microsoft platform using Ms SQL Server first.

For oracle,the first point of call would be learning SQL,you can end up being a DBA or with your programming knowlegde,a software developer who will be able to engineer database driven application like Nairaland,a hotel software,a school management software etc.

2 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Do Self Study In Oracle by Roseeiy: 10:15am On Aug 23, 2012
Thanks, I think I will go back to SQL then before oracle. I don't have any problem with Vb for now but most movies I watch, I see programers use Oracle. I just want to know what it is all about, and be versatile too. I am familiar with Vb and would want to go into something new and more challenging. At least I now know where to start. Thanks again.

(1) (Reply)

HELP On Connecting Netbeans To A Database / I Need The Help Of Java Gurus In The House. Please Enter.... / Delivering Suitable Ios App Development Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.